Infinite New Vindicators of the Americas Ch.2-

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Infinite New Vindicators of the Americas Ch.2-

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Chapter 1: Welcome to School, Now Roll Initiative-

The week of school is always tough on any kid. Tougher still when you get to the higher levels of education with all the cliques and social politics. Tougher even still, when you go to a school whose secondary mission is to teach you to fight and perhaps die in the service of all mankind. Welcome to the New Vindicators Academy of the Americas.

Located in the Morumbi district of Sao Paolo, Brazil, the campus sits adjacent to that of The American School, more popularly referred to locally as, the Graded School. In fact, the NVAA allows for students from the academy to audit classes at the neighboring school for credit. Given the history of students of the various New Vindicators Academies worldwide, this is not always well received by the locals.

Not that any of that matters now. With Carnivale one week gone, you are about to participate in the single most anticipated event at the academy. Anticipated not only by the student body, but by the local populace who have bought pay-per-view tickets so they may watch it on television. Every year, the Freshman and Sophmore classes divide up their combat capable students into teams to take on "Dreadnaut". Every year the event is broadcast on HBO pay-per-view to supplement the student activities budget.

Once upon a time, the school simply held an event known as "The Sophmore Blitz", pitting student against student in a game of Capture the Flag, that often devolved into a free-for-all combat between the teams of students. No longer was that the case. After one cadet, Dennis Bertrand murdered all of his classmates in the European Academy's 2012 Sophmore Blitz, the tradition was ended. The North American, Asian and European schools simply stopped having any sort of contest, but the Sao Paolo Academy, not willing to give up this demonstration of machismo, changed the format. Now they call it The Challenge and it is open to all underclassmen and practically an unwritten requirement.

In The Challenge, cadets no longer face off against one another. Instead, teams of six or less are are pitted against the might of "The Dreadnaught", a massive tank-like automaton that arrived in this timeline in pursuit of Mark Seven, the android who is now the academy's computer and linguistics instructor. When the Vindicators defeated the Dreadnaught (Patriot Robotics AI main battle tank designate: Bolo 13), instead of destroying it, it was repaired, reprogrammed and used for combat training.

Now it's your turn to face the monstrosity. As the final pair of teams in the competition, the pressure is on. thus far, the two other teams to compete both lost against The Dreadnaught. Can your team defeat it? Can the Freshmen show up the Sophmores? Can the Sophmores field a winning effort and hold their heads up high, knowing that a team of sophmores last year pulled out a victory and that team (now Juniors) would be watching?

In the locker room outside the Wreck Room, you muster...

Freshmen "Eagle Company"-

*Frangible* aka Merle Tremblay *Since Merle never chose a codename, he was assigned one for the Challenge.
Brava aka Eva Seguin-Gutierrez
Counterpunch aka Desiree' Seguin
Carom aka Rafael Cordova
Prehistoric aka David Gordon
Taheka aka Tamati Stevens

Sophmores "Bravo Company"

Cooker aka Francis Gold
Derelict aka Pia Mendoza
El Campeador aka Miguel Young
Obdurate aka Julio Esparza
Telekinetic Force aka Jason Anderson
Vantage aka Louisa Garcia

Adding to the difficulty of the Challenge, neither team knows in advance what sort of terrain they're going to be faced with in the Wreck Room, so tactics will have to be devised on the fly. For the moment all you can do is sit in the staging area and wait for Mr. Valdez to usher you in to the combat theater.
While both challenges will play out simultaneously in game, these are two separate events, so keep you eyes on your teams' actions. I'll post in different colors for the Freshmen and sophmore NPC's. Until the go signal is given, you can get to know your teammates and figure out any sort of plans you can make without seeing the arena set up.

And of course inroduce us to your character's charming personality.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinite New Vindicators of the Americas Ch.1-

Post by Arthur Eld » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:15 pm

El Campeador/Miguel Young

The tall boy sized up his fellow sophmores again, stretching his arms across his chest like a 't'. He'd discarded his uniforms gloves-bad enough he had to wear blue with black.

There was the skinny blond kid, the English kid, Julio, and the girls. He flashed them all a big smile as he brought his right arm behind his back, pushing it up between his shoulder blades, then switching to his left.

"So, El Desafío. This is exciting! Huh, Eagle Company?" He finished stretching and clapped his hands.

"So, if you didn't know, I'm strong and bulletproof, mas o meno. I'll take him head on: The Champion and the Dreadnought!" Miguel smacked a fist into his open palm. He was very aware that this event was televised and wished his uniform showed more of his muscles.

"What about the rest of you guys?"

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Prehistoric
HP: 2

David Gordon looked over the gathered freshmen, whom he had only just met a short time ago. And now they were being thrown into an arena to battle against some kind of robot that had already defeated two other teams of students. To say he felt uneasy would be an understatement. Not that he was a stranger to self-defense but that was always against ignorant natives or, rarely, local gangs. And his Neo-Sapien ability was usually enough to scare them off without having to actually engage in combat. This robot wasn't going to scare and it wasn't going to be unprepared. Surely it had battled against plenty of other Neo-Sapiens that were far more dangerous than he was.

"Umm.... hi. I'm David." He spoke English well but with an undefinable exotic accent that was acquired through contact with so many other languages and cultures.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Sophmores (Bravo Company)-

The tall, plain faced girl with the mannish hands smirked at Miguel. "I thought we were Bravo Company? What's with all the military names anyway? Suddenly we're in a John Wayan movie? Ah well, at least we don't have that little putana from Sasquatchewan with us...then we'd have to be called Easy Company."

"I'm Louisa by the way, but for the purposes of this...you can call me Vantage. I control my size."

"Everything except the size of your mouth." Snarled, a short, heavy-set boy. "The name's Julio. Codename, Obdurate. I'm hard to hurt and once I dig my heels in, almost impossible to move."

"Julio! Louisa! We aren't making a good impression for our new classmates, I don't think. And Louisa, you know there's a reason Monica can't participate in this exercise. It's highly unlikely the machine sleeps, eh?"

The taller girl laughed again. "I can think of two words to describe what she could do...meat shield...and...human target."

"That's four words. Anyway, it's good to meet you..umm...Champion...I'm Pia, but my codename is Derelict. It really doesn't allude to anything, I just thought it sounded cool. My powers allow me to make impossible things happen."

Julio snickered evilly. "Not all impossible things. You still can't make Louisa not a bitch."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Freshmen (Eagle Company)-

One of David's companions grinned at him and stuck out his hand. "Ola David, I'm Rafael. You must be one of the more physically gifted cadets, no? I mean, you know, we're fighting a robot tank, so your power can't be changes computer font to heiroglyphics at will or anything like that, right?"

The two amazonian girls with them smiled brilliantly at David. Both were raven haired, stood nearly 6 feet tall and were gorgeous. They almost looked like twins. In fact, the easiest way to tell them apart was one had the fringes of her hair dyed light blue and the other dyed hers hot pink.

"Hey boys." Blue girl purred. "I'm Desiree', and this is my half-sister Eva."

"Hey cuties." Pink girl said with one of those almost-a-giggle tones that only girls who flirt relentlessly can manage.

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Nareik123 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Jason Anderson

Great.

That was the one thought running through Jason's head as he stood quietly aside in the ready room. Jason was dressed in full combat gear for his Age, even though his uniform wasn't actually protecting him. The English teen was thinking, his head bowed as the group talked among themselves. Jason disliked using his powers in front of anyone that wasn't his father or AKASI, and so taking on the televised combat display was not what he had in mind. Of course Jason knew he was going to do this, it was impossible to avoid the "Dreadnaut" (Jason inwardly cringed at the ruination of a good word, just because it was cool doesn't mean it should be spelt wrong!) His long flowing hair was loose and covered his neck and shoulders as his gaunt face glanced between the other students in the room with him. Jason cracked a slight smile at the banter between the students. He thought he felt a hand on his shoulder, impossible since he made sure the rest of the group were ahead of him, but he knew that feeling. That was a sign that AKASI wanted to mention something. Jason briefly left focus as his mind convened with his AI.
Jason, logic dictates that you should introduce yourself and establish communication with your team to maximise co-operation and establish a team dynamic.
Uh huh, and logic also dictates that a super AI that's against almost every moral regulation probably shouldn't interact with me in a room full of unknown supers.

With that Jason refocused on the world and pushed himself off the wall, pulling the gloves on his hands tight. Jason wondered how many people noticed he showed literally no skin except from his gaunt face. Jason coughed quietly. He adjusted AKASI's primary housing, hidden underneath a large coat on his back, so it couldn't be targeted so easily.
"Jason. What do I do? Hold things in place, hit things, pull things about. And Stuff"
And with a brief, lacklustre and vague introduction, Jason lapsed back into silence.
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Prehistoric
HP: 2

"Ola, Rafael." David shook the boy's hand tentatively. He turned to the girls and stammered a greeting to them as well. With his travels to so many universities, he was used to seeing beautiful girls; but none of them had been nearly as forward. "I... uh... I can turn into dinosaurs."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 pm

The girls looked at David, their interested piqued. "Any kind of Dinosaur?" Desiree' asked, her dark eyes intense.

"That's a good question...and given the situation we're about to enter...pretty topical for you sis."

"Half-sis." Desiree' corrected.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Cooker/Francis Gold

Francis stayed silent. Honestly, the big guy frightened him. Looked far too much like the bullies back home for Francis' peace of mind, deservedly or not. Just because he had to learn how not to fry people for picking on him didn't mean he wanted to draw attention again.

It was school after all, and school still sucked.

It wasn't until the very extended silence that he realized he was the last one to have to talk. "I-- Francis. Super name, Cooker. I control microwaves. The energy. Please don't ask me to pop popcorn." The last part sounded more like a desperate plea than a gag line
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Sophmores (Bravo Company)-

"Sure." Julio said. "On any night but movie night, I solemnly swear not to pester you."

"You forgot to add...about popcorn...stumpy." Louisa said, her voice almost a sneer. It didn't take any sort of deductive genius to figure out that the dislike Julio displayed for Louisa went both ways. Turning to Cooker she asked; "So, it's Francis, not Franco or Francisco? I don't know how you Norte-Americanos do it, but you manage to take the cool out of everything."

Pia sidled up to Francis, being the only person present more petite than him, she wanted to assure him he wasn't in the land of the giants, given that Miguel and Louisa were tall and during the combat, almost assuredly Louisa would get far taller still. "So, your abilities work at range too? Bueno. At least I won't be the only one not charging up to it in a mad effort to get squished."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:55 pm

El Campeador/Miguel Young

The young man shrugged, muscles flexing. "Eagle, Bravo, it don't matter. When this is finished, they'll only call us one thing-winners!"

He punched the air, exultant. "So, Franky, you can burn him up from the inside out. Julio, you get his attention, and he won't hit anybody else. Vantage can help me punch him, and Derelict can help us beat him even if we wouldn't otherwise.

Miguel stuck his hand out to shake everyone's hand, kissing the girl's hands. "Remember, we will do this."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Merle Tremblay

Merle pulled his black gloves on, not looking terribly happy. The suit was all white, which looked quite terrible to begin with, especially against his already pale skin, but it was also surprisingly form fitting. This resulted in it being quite apparent that his arms and legs were unnaturally thin and long.

He desperately wished for a black jumpsuit, but apparently that was reserved for older students. He pulled a comb out of his pocket and quickly combed his hair.

"Hello, I am Merle," He said, pulling a piece of paper from his pocket, "I teleport, and they gave me a codename for this... it's..."

His face falls and his shoulders slump, "Oh. I see. Very funny."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 am

Rafael reached over and pat Merle on the arm. "Don't worry about the codename vato, Senor Seven has a weird sense of humor. What do expect from an android from the future though, you know what I means? Last year, I heard he gave the Sophmore chica...Pia Mendoza...the witchy one, you know? I heard she didn't pick a codename as a freshman and he assigned he the name Haruspex. That is a word for someone who tells the future from looking at animal entrails, so this thing he calls you? It isn't his worst joke, you know what I means?"

He smiled broadly after that. "I just hope his assigning a codename isn't bad luck? Last year, that Pia chica? She got tossed into Dustin...the one they call Assembly...and they knocked heads, you know? She got knocked out and he got broke into pieces. You want to see a freaky power, it's Dustin. His body breaks up into parts that move on their own. Super weird, right?"

Eva slaps her hand over Rafael's mouth. "I"m sorry." She giggled. "He's not being very comforting is he? Just pick your own codename after this, even if you hardly use it. Call yourself Psycho-killer if you want. At least that way you aren't at the mercy of anyone else thinking they're being clever."

"Anyway, since you told us what you do, I suppose I'll go next. I get excited and when that happens, I get super-strong." Sweeping her pink fringed bangs out of her eyes, she gestures toward Desiree'. "My sister..."

"Half-sister."

"...half-sister has similar powers only hers is a pain response, so she's hoping David will whack her a good one. One widdle boo-boo and she's ready to kick tail."

"And this is Rafael, codenamed Carom...he bounces...like a futbol."

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Gilliam » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:41 am

Taheka

At first Tamati had been very peeved to have found himself in Sao Paolo just because of a coin toss, it didn't help that Zane being the little prick he was said that the Sao Paolo school was only for losers and wasn't even considered a real Vindicator Academy.

After arriving Tamati's opinion of Sao Paolo quickly changed there was colour, there was noise, there was an energy all round him and there were a lot of gorgeous Aunties everywhere he looked and especially in Eagle company.
Horsenhero wrote: "...half-sister has similar powers only hers is a pain response, so she's hoping David will whack her a good one. One widdle boo-boo and she's ready to kick tail."
It was moments like this that Tamati was glad that he wasn't a Pakeha otherwise his cheeks would be a shade of red as a mental image of spanking .. lets not go there formed in his head.

With a friendly grin Tamati extended his hand "Hi and I'm Tamati Stevens or Taheka and I can become a figure made of water."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:35 am

Merle Tremblay

Merle cleared his throat, not entirely sure how to respond to "Pyscho-Killer" as a code name suggestion. It was definitely better than a codename that was suggesting he'd be knocked to pieces by a single hit.

"Do we know anything about this Dreadnaught we have to fight?" He asks, brushing a stray hair off his shoulder, "We seem to have a good selection of abilities, but all I've heard about our opposition is that it's some kind of tank."