Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Brand New Day - Henchman's Union (OOC - Completed)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Brand New Day - Henchman's Union (OOC - Completed)

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 pm

A new song spreads throughout the Evil Henchman's Union:

So They say that the Snake Bite has got herself captured,
Put on ice by the authorities.(OH NO)
So They say she was set-up,
Who would do that? (They’re SO dead.)

So They say she had files and tapes, proof of bad deeds, on all the League members. (Oh That’s Bad)

It’s a tragic story, so they say
The cops must be on their way.
Could this be the end of all we know the world to be today?

If there's interest, this would be a story for the Henchmen from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, a few months after Dr. Horrible's acceptance to the League. Using that setting and the characters within. Trying to capture even a taste of the light-hearted fun from the Webisodes.

Some of the Henchmen we only have names and/or vague descriptions:

Moist (male, Constantly exudes moisture)
Pink Pummeler (male, boxing gloves, pink tights)
Conflict Diamond (male, complete unknown)
Bait, and Switch (female, Sisters?, Friends?)
Hourglass (female, some precognitive ability)

(Feel free to come up with other, low-powered, goofy Henchmen ideas. But I'd love to see people's takes on the mentioned characters)

I'm thinking a low powered adventure with emphasis on role-playing (yes, I'll hand out Hero points for witty dialogue, great interactions, even a superb line that makes me LOL or even ROTFLMAO).

Looking for 4-6 characters, PL3, 45 points (if there are problems I may up the PL and/or point-buy, I'm open to suggestion). The objective isn't to see what a world shattering build you can make with this few points, I'm hoping your emphasis will be on interesting characters. I repeat, you're all clever enough to make a planet killing build at this level. Please aim for a build that contributes to the story overall - dare to be unimpressive but interesting. Remember, these guys have a limited ability to impact the world otherwise they'd be League members.

Likely, at some point we'll see the titular Mad Scientist, and possibly face off against something resembling Seren's Johnny Snow

This would be my first PbP game as GM. I don't know how I'll do. We'll see.

* all names, images, and characters regarding Dr. Horrible are the property of.... well, someone else. Should those parties wish me to stop this tomfoolery then I will, just ask.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Can't... stop... thinking up... corny names...

Ricket Shay

Rick O. Shay

Clea Shay

The Fiddler!

Duke Rastafarian

The Saurus (One time Scrabble champion part time dino henchman!)

Bantamweight (A feather light man with all the powers of a chicken!)

Filibuster (Minion Lawyer with the power to stall anything involving paperwork! (Warning: this may include recipts))

The Purple Provoker (Known to get beat up a lot... great distraction, though)

The Watson (No visable powers, but people around him seem to gain incredible deductive powers)
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Brainbot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Misery (Elmira Jones) is a goth. But not just any goth: the UR-goth. She's been exuding negative energy for more than a DECADE. (Then again, she's eighteen). When another girl at her school was chosen for a U-TV television show, her powers erupted; the show tanked, making everyone who watched it lethargic and bitter.

Oddly, this didn't get Misery the role she was looking for. And with no money for college, and not wanting to be a retail slave, she got into henching. You know, as an internship for supervillainy. And for fashion reasons.

Misery wears outfits that would be considered scandalous, even in 'progressive' schools; shiny army boots, a trenchcoat, plastic devil horns, black and white striped everything.

QUOTE: "Yeah, I got the nail polish from dead oak sap. Light can't escape its surface; I hear they use it on stealth fighters."

STATS: Physically average, superb intellect, surprisingly charismatic for someone who can cause total lethargy. An average skillset for a teenager with plenty of knowledges and very little combat potential.

Powers: Controllable field of lethargy, sadness, and not-caring. Not selective (but exudes Misery).
Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:52 pm

I see a few "Misery loves company." jokes in your future.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jim Profit » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 am

Goofy henchmen eh?

The Rock

Do to a freak accident. Buster Diamonds genetic makeup was altered, and he gained the ability to transform!

Into a rock...

As useless as it may sound, Buster can manipulate just how big the rock is, and is fully conscience and aware of his sorroundings while in rock form. Making him a great spy. But having to ussually be a pebble because a giant rock in the room might look suspicious.. He might also jump from high places and turn into a rock hoping to crush his adversaries... He can also roll in his rock form, but not very fast, and even slower when big. And that kind of draws attention too.

However, he can't communicate while in rock form, that'd just be weird..

Buster had been previously a minion of Dr.Horrible. He needed the money, and was a starving musician.

Now that he has a super power. He's been promoted to the supers category of henchmen! He's going places! He might be able to get a girlfriend soon!

But his real passion is his music... You're not truly a supervillain unless you know how to
ROCK!
If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception. The person who craves a moral blank check of that kind, has dishonest intentions, whether he admits it to himself or not.
Jim Profit
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Brainbot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:50 pm

If I threw you at someone, would you be able to change size?

Would you add damage to a backpack-swinging attack?

That's an AWESOME useless power.
Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Jim Profit » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 pm

lol, thanks. :)

I'm watching the dr.horrible thing now, and my immideate thought when seeing the hero take his girl was..

"Yo, boss.. you're kind a tool, you know that? Just like.. mind control her or something.. damn..

Or I could like.. land on her from the ceiling, as a rock, and break her back, and she's cripple, and needs you to take care of her, and then she falls inlove with you!"
If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception. The person who craves a moral blank check of that kind, has dishonest intentions, whether he admits it to himself or not.
Jim Profit
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 am

Arkrite -
I love the Purple Provoker hope he has a good health plan or a few points in regeneration.

----
Bait & Switch I thought were a hot girl and a transvestite combo team. Or possibly one very attractive woman and one unattractive one.

Dr. Horrible: Hey, didn't you, uh, didn't you go on a date last night? Conflict Diamond told me you were doubling with Bait and Switch.
Moist: Yeah.
Dr. Horrible: Yeah?
Moist: It was alright. I kinda thought I was supposed to end up with Bait, but...
Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:38 am

Yeah, it's very open as to what they could be, Moist was definately less excited to end up with Switch.
My first thought was that Switch might be a violent, hateful punk girl with deadly switchblades, while Bait is this really attractive but manipulative one.
But I also wanted to get other people's takes on them.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Fey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 am

ooh.. maybe Switch has a double meaning. Dominatrix.
*punishment* "Ow! Isn't there some sort of safety word?"
"Yes."
"Great! What is it?"
"Remember when I asked if you wanted to come over to my place?"
"Yes?"
"The safety word would have been 'No.'" *punishment*
"Aaaahh!!!!"
Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Golbez57 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I've only seen "Dr. Horrible" once so far (and loved it) but my wife and I are big fans of Joss' TV shows, and I've been collecting the Buffy Season 8 comics. Astonishing X-Men before he finished his run, and Runaways, before it stalled.... I've got a good feel for the goofy, smart-aleck-y, but ultimately human-interest creative style of his stuff.

Plus, I'm hawt in pink tights.

So, I think I'll take a go at the Pink Pummeler. I'm thinking he's had some bad luck with the ladies and is now desperately doing "macho" and showing a "sensitive female side" at the same time. Awkwardly. Swearing to seek vengeance on the sand-kickers at the beach. Talentless pugilist, maybe his power is super-odor.

A less complex build-up that Maggie the Magneti-Cat, so I should be a-okay, but if you have any specific thoughts/requirements, let me know.
Pink Pummeler in Brand New Day: Henchmen's Union
Golbez57
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Sheets can be Pm'ed to me if you don't want to post em here.

Really it's just to give a starting point on how to stat out Johnny Snow and the Fan Girlz. (slight spoiler there).
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Brainbot » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Do you HAFTA spell it with a Z? Hafta? :?

:roll:
Post signing is for dweebs and lesser dorks.
Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Misery's Character Sheet

Postby Brainbot » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Misery
PL 3, 45 pp

Abilities:
Strength 8 (-1); Dexterity 12 (+1); Constitution 14 (+2);
Intelligence 12 (+1); Wisdom 10 (+0); Charisma 16 (+3)

Saves: Toughness +5, +2 without leather jacket; Fortitude +2; Reflex +1; Will +3

Skills: Bluff 4 (+7), Drive 4 (+5) [8 ranks/2pp]

Knowledge [Popular Culture] 6 (+7), Knowledge [Arcana] 6 (+7), 12 ranks [3pp, 5 total]
Escape Artist 4 (+5), Notice 6 (+6), Sense Motive 6 (+6), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5), Stealth 4 (+5). [24 pp. 6 more pp. 11pp.]

Feats: Attractive (2), Attack Focus [Ranged] (3), Distract [Bluff], Equipment 3 (Leather Jacket & standard four door). Sneak Attack 1. Seize Initiative.
Villain's Luck 2. 10 points.

Powers: Despair Control. [For reference, the effect of Despair: The subject is shaken, suffering a –2 on attack rolls,
defense, and checks. Failure by 10 or more means the target is
overcome with hopelessness, helpless and unable to take any
actions.
As emotion control, 1pp/rank (Flaw: One Emotion).
Power Feat: Subtle. 3pp. (Will Save @ DC 13, Perception range).
AP: Area (Flaw: Touch).
5pp total.

Combat: Tradeoff: -2 AC, +2 Damage Save.
+0 to hit melee, +3 to hit ranged (+3 damage, crossbow). Defense 11. Damage Save +4 (+2 con, +3 leather jacket).

Initiative: +1 (Can Seize Initiative for 1 HP).

Cost:
Abilities: 12; Combat: NIL; Saves: 3; Skills: 11 (44 ranks); Feats: 13; Powers: 5= 40 points.

Complications
Teenager, Enemy (popular kids/phonies/mall cops), Poor, Totally Hot (only the consequences of being the postergirl for teenage disenfranchisement).
-It's not althogether unlikely that someone will try and "Save" Misery.

COSTUME: When performing any acts of henchwomanry ('henching'), she wears a simple, simple black eyemask (plausible deniability). She wore one with white stripes to match her stockings, but was called "Dead Zebra Girl". That one stung.

Notes [1/21/09]
Added Seize Init and an AP. I think I'll hold on to the extra seven points.
Also: Added Sneak Attack. Always useful in the cafeteria.
1/22/09:
Added another rank of equipment. I think a crossbow is more goth than a GUN. Guns are so...metal.

Redid skills.[/i]
Last edited by Brainbot on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Fey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Misery could add Area as you said it was without or Contagious? or AP in either of those options.
Maybe Fatigue, Nauseate or Paralyze (crippling despair)?
Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Next

Return to M&M Game Room