Brand New Day - Henchmen's Union [IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Brainbot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:21 am

Misery

Misery sips her tea, quick and polite. She finishes first and hands over her tea leaves.

"We're going to take down someone who's betrayed the Society. It's a lot of our first real mission, so we're going to do our best...but I want the truth. You know I don't like being so happy, so...if you have something rather severe, you can write it down."

She brushes a bang out of her face, then replaces it with another. "Bad news is good news, right?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:36 pm

The Purple Provoker

"Isn't she just a bundle of joy?" Johnny asks with a lobsided grin.

He gives Hourglass a peck on the cheek and picks up his cup of tea. Honestly, he hates tea, especally without the leaves strained out of it, but Hourglass was a sweatheart so he suffered in silence as he drank.

He gave Hourglass' tarot cards a look of suspicion. The last time he'd been in he'd pulled out three death cards in a row.

Hourglass had assured him that it was impossible, since there was only one, and it had to have been a joke somebody was playing on him. He now idly wondered if it had been Misery trying to spread a little of her namesake.

"Yeah, big job. Supposidly big rewards, you know." He sighs, "You know, if you're looking to get in with the Evil League of Evil."

Johnny shrugs. Sure the money would be great but unfortunatly he knows he is lacking the "evil" required to be on the evil league of evil. He isn't a heartless killer like Bad Horse or Dr. Horrible.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

In tune with the Provoker's dismissive words, Hourglass look like she only selectively heard much of what Misery said.

"Oh, some of your first missions! How exciting! And a very important one too! I'm sure you will do well. In fact..." she uncovers the glass ball sitting on the table and makes a show of peering into it. Her voice has a drawn out quality to it, but it remains cheerful and lilting. "Ah, yes, I see a great measure of success in your mission. I'm sure the Villain you serve, though it may be a rocky start, will be ultimately pleased with your performance. Much information will be uncovered but many more questions will be raised.

She takes a swallow of tea and smiles.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:00 pm

The Purple Provoker

Johnny somehow manages to keep a straight face.

A cheerful upbeat vision. That probably got Misery's goat.

He finishes his tea, hiding a wince behind his cup, and slides it to Hourglass.

"Good news all around, eh?" He hesitates, "Uh... no more falling cars this time, right?"

Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Brainbot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Misery

Provoker was good. He was like a little moth laying eggs in the vintage scraves of her metaphor.

Good Good Good.

What would happen if she used her aura on Hourglass?
Just an idle thought...a guilty little flitting thought-icule. Ugh. Cynicism was one thing, but she didn't need to feel guilty.
Not in this buisness. Dr. Horrible would never feel guilty for doing what he had to do. Hell, he had killed a woman at the opening of a homeless shelter! That was cold hearted.

"We're working for Tie Die. She's been...less than a nurturing leader. Will we work for someone more considerate in the future?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Hourglass smiles amiably and looks into the proffered cup. She gives a small, sharp intake of breath and her eyes strain for a moment. She pushes the cup away with quick movement.

"N-No, Dear, no falling... cars, whatsoever. That's good, right?" She says just a tad too cheerily. The lines around her eyes are taught with the stress of holding her smile.

If you look into the cup, by the way, you see... well, you can't be sure, but one clump of leaves kind of looks like a hammer
except... maybe, just maybe being held by a gloved hand.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 pm

The Purple Provoker

"Aw crap, it's a truck isn't it? Tank?" Johnny frowns reaching over for the cup to look for himself, "Tell me it's not a bowing 747 because I don't think I can walk that one off!"

Golbez57
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Golbez57 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Pink Pummeler

The first time he'd visited Hourglass, the Pummeler ate a tea leaf. Its taste wasn't quite as scary as the soothsayer's suddenly nasty change of character. Misery was smart to reign in her passive-aggressive angst around her. He was careful to avoid even touching the leaves with his straw this time.

Taking a peek at 'Voker's cup, he wondered if Hourglass was in some subtle way calling him a tool. The guy seemed nice enough, really.
Pink Pummeler in Brand New Day: Henchmen's Union

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

"No." she says, her voice strained. She smiles again, a manic happiness evident. "It's nothing, you'll be fine. You're such a nice Lad." Her words still manage to be soothing and placating.

She takes a bigger gulp of her own tea. The liquid almost all gone now.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 pm

The Purple Provoker

Johnny, now feels even more uneasy.

He looks at the cup for a moment, then blinks, leaning over to Misery, "What does this look like to you... it's like ugly anchor, or fat man water skiing..."

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 pm

She drains the last of the soothing tea and sets the cup down turning to Misery.

"But you, Dear, you asked about your next employer." Her voice becomes droning, dramatacized, eager in the familiarity of the task. "Let me consult the spirits."

She closes her eyes, smiling faintly.

The smile fades.

Her face becomes tinged with concentration and maybe pain and she cries out.... a base guitar starts a quick, angry succession of notes, it's joined by several Power Chords as Hourglass half-opens her eyes. They are rolled back so that only the whites show. She gasps as her head jerks down, facing you all... Her Prophecy Song is sharp and crisp in a voice deeper than her own.

"Soon we veer to a moral dilemma,
Brought about by a plot, redesigned, meant to stimulate a
Change in the League’s standard rules operating all the Ways – miniscule –
How we loose, so we’re gonna hafta choose…
There’s NO Wrong or Ri-ight

It’s a Brand New Day, in the Henchman’s lives
Soon we’ll get to Say, how we Fall or Rise.
Just don't hesitate, or every bo-dy dies.
It’s a Brand New Day…"

She gives a wickedly evil half smile.... then promptly collapses onto the table.

Her cup is knocked to the floor and shatters. In the piece still whole you can see the leaves in the shape of a horse shoe. If anything was opposite that image is it lost in the detritus of the shattered vessel.

Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Brainbot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:59 am

Misery

"It looks like Captain Hammer's symbol. From most optimistic, to most realistic, I have a few ideas:
*You'll become Captain Hammer, and turn his powers to evil
*You'll trick the Cap'n into performing an evil deed for you
*He's back,
*He's back and he wants to beat your skull inside out to prove a point."

She smiles a little. "But don't worry. Me and 'the girls' could handle him."

Then Hourglass starts singing. Misery taps her foot, then hums along...until Hourglass collapses.

Calm. Damnit damnit.
"Get her to the sickbay!" Misery yells. She orders Rock and Pummel the woman to medical attention. "I'll clean up here."
She takes a look at the horseshoe...then sweeps the ceremics into the trashcan.

Misery takes a single deep breath, then sighs, then sighs again. Things were going badly.
And that's fine.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 am

Hourglass's cry seemed to have drawn most of the henchmen remaining in the Union. Conflict Diamond, his hardened body inside of his tan safari kit, and Premier Pimp decked out in a lavender suit and fedora also arrive to help.

"Crickey, Wot's happened?" Conflict Diamond asks.

Brainbot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Brainbot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am

Misery
Wow, Conflict Diamond looked a lot like she expected. A little more Aussie than Afrikaaner, but the tan was kind of reassuring.
She'd had a few bad surprises today.

"She was making a prediction, then she completely passed out. She needs some bedrest."

She is careful not to smile Premier Pimp, or shut him out too much. Mis tries for a kind of glum unapproachability.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:38 pm

The Purple Provoker

Johnny blinks at a loss, "Wait... what?... I... uh..."

"Captan Hammer is coming to kick my ass!? But... that's not fair!" He blinks, looking at Conflict Diamond, "He threw a car at me once! A CAR! I was just there to see a bridge opened! I wasn't even wearing a costume!"

He paces back and forth, obviously panicing, "The man throws cars! I can't be hit by cars every day! I barely scrape through normal people pounding on me!"

"Maybe I should just move..." He turns to Premier Pimp, "Do they have superheroes in Syberia?"

Return to “M&M Game Room”