Freedom Panic! (IC) [Chapter Three]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Freedom Panic! (IC) [Chapter Three]

Postby Davies » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 am

It's the first day of school.

Specifically, it's the first day of school at Akazuchi Academy, a ridiculously large school located somewhere in Tokyo. To call it a school is actually something of a misnomer. It's a campus shared by no less than five high schools (two of which are elevator schools, going all the way from kindergarten to university) and a number of dormitories.

Each of you is a student at one of these schools. You do not know each other. If you have met, you have not been introduced. You are not classmates -- you may even each be attending a completely different school, wearing a completely different uniform.

Despite this, however, you have much in common. Each of you is starting at this academy for the first time. Fortunately (and, perhaps, oddly) some of your friends have also entered into this complicated milieu, so you do know some people. Your friends are among your classmates, as it happens.

You each begin in your homeroom. Take a look around. Establish your surroundings. Where are your friends sitting in relation to you? Are there any other interesting students around? What is your first teacher like?

There's also one other thing that all of you you have in common, though it's actually something you suspect that you have in common with most of the other students. As homeroom began, before your first teacher even bothered to introduce himself, you were called up to the front of the class and told to pull a number out of a hat, as was everyone else in the class. No one explained what the number was about.

You each drew the number 3. Looking over the shoulders of your classmates, you see that some of them have also drawn a number 3, but that others have drawn numbers ranging from 1 to 5. A few of them seem to know what this is about, but there isn't time to ask them about it, yet. You are being asked to introduce yourself to your classmates in the standard manner -- give your name, and describe your interests.
Last edited by Davies on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Freedom Panic! (IC)

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 am

Akechi Mako

A new school year, and a whole new school to get used to. New teachers with different attitudes and teaching styles to adjust to, new classmates with their own little quirks. But the same old Mako, just a quiet boy who happened to be able to jump onto the roof of a building or lift a car with his mind. To everyone else, he was just another boy in a gakuran, not ugly, but not long, dreamy stare-worthy either. Starting a new school was hard enough, it was even harder when you had something to hide. And in this place, Akazuchi. Mako had heard from his father that it was quite the prestigious school, but so far, all he knew was that it was big. Trying to find his classroom would have been tricky under the best of circumstances, but with all the people hurrying to and fro, ranging from little kids to college age students, it was like trying to swim through a stormy sea. At night. With a bad leg. But, finally, he had made it, glad for all of Soubi-sensei's training, as otherwise he would have been out of breath from rushing to get to class on time.

So there Mako was, sitting in his chair in the middle of what he thought of as 'the learning T' that area that enveloped the front few rows of desks and then a line going back to the wall in the middle. His father had been telling him to sit in the T on the first day of school for the past ten years. He did it without thinking, sitting down in the middle, two desks back. Kio sat to his right, barely fitting into his chair, and Taki sat to his left, idly reading a manga as the hum of the class' chatter flowed over Mako. Their sensei was already in the class, seated behind her desk. Like the rest of the class, both she and the desk looked formal and wealthy. Her dress was conservative, but the clothes themselves looked of fine quality, her glasses too, big square things with black frames polished so much they were almost shining. Her hair was black and pulled back in a sharp bun, and her desk as a large, heavy-looking thing, made out of some sturdy wood Mako didn't recognize.

This whole place was unlike any school he had ever been to, and he was a little nervous, although he did a good job of not letting it show. Then he was called up to the front of the class for this number-pulling thing. What could that possibly be about? His mind raced with possibilities-perhaps it was some way of organizing the students for study groups?-and then he pulled a number. Three. He wondered what Kio and Taki would grab.

But for now, he had to introduce himself. He bowed to the class-he could faintly hear Taki snickering, he thought bowing was a 'monkey motion' and then straightened his back, preparing to speak. My name is Akechi Mako and I can sense people's thoughts. No, that wouldn't do. He wasn't thought sensing now, even if he wanted to, it couldn't hurt to know what people were thinking about him, but Soubi-sensei had drilled it into the teenager that doing such a thing was very wrong, and that reading others' minds was not an idle curiosity.

"My name is Akechi Mako. This is my first year at Akazuchi, and I'm looking forward to attending classes at this fine school." He felt stupid standing up there, but it didn't show on his face, instead his eyes noticed that his shoe-lace was coming undone. He could do the whole thing again without having to move a muscle, but he didn't. By now, Mako was used to hiding his powers, used to feeling like he was different, whether in a good way or bad way he still wasn't sure, but always pretending he wasn't. So instead of talking about his ability to create a personal barrier of mental force, he smiled slightly and said. "I play baseball, if there are any teams on campus that need a new member, I'd be happy to try out." Then he walked back to his seat and sat down, still holding the number. What did it mean? Was three a good number to have, or a bad one? Were there any baseball teams on campus?
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gabrie
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Gabrie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Takakane Yuuko

Everything was perfect, naturally. Even before her untimely demise, Yuuko had done things properly. It had been taught to her since an early age, and even now, Yuuko kept proper appearances. Her clothing was, of course, never out of order. It never had been, and there was no reason to start now. That she arrived on time, without undue haste, was a given. It was only polite.

Luckily, people kept their distance on the way to school, as expected. She had never understood what some of them saw in her looks, but there was little she could do about it. Not that she had to, either way - currently, it was helping her, as some of these who seemed to admire her appeared to prefer doing so from afar. She just hoped the rare kyaaa! wasn't aimed at her. That would be embarassing.

The homeroom was almost empty when she arrived, most would arrive in several minutes at the earliest. She picked a seat in the first row, at the window. That way, she wasn't in the middle of things, but would be involved enough.

Slowly, more and more people trinkled into the room. Few caught her interest, however. most looked like average students, some taller, some smaller, some cute, some muscular. Some had accentuated their uniform with things like loose socks, others had dyed their hair. There were even a few blonde students - natural ones, it seemed. Noone of the blondes she knew though, which she was almost glad about. It would have led to trouble.
There were other, more unusual students – but, well, she couldn’t help to pay more attention to details like the before mentioned than, say, to the bald guy with the prayer beads. She registered the details, of course, but didn’t think much of them.

Her friends eventually arrived as well, and managed to find nearby seats - Hiroki right behind her, and Utsuho right behind him, the three neatly occupying the windows. Of course, Utsuho was already engaged in trouble, she had almost kicked a table over because another girl had insulted her hair ribbons, but luckily, Hiroki had been quick enough to prevent a fistfight. Yuuko hadn’t needed to interviene. She had to be careful, so she was glad – although deep inside, she wanted to help her friends more, in general, than she would most likely be able to.
Yuuko only exchanged short greetings with the two of them - the classes were about to begin, the two others had arrived just in time - Hiroki with barely a minute of time, and Utsuho with only seconds!

The teacher closed the door behind himself, and moved towards the desk. He wasn’t an impressive person at first glance – he walked with a stoop, and his white hair surrounded a bald cone like clouds surrounded a particularly steep mountain. He had a beard, too, a long, thin one. His clothes were simply not fitting him well – he looked completely out of place in a suit. Well, to be fair, he looked to be out of place in general, due to his age, and several students muttered their confusion – they had expected someone about three decades younger.
Yuuko didn’t participate in that whispering. Several of her private instructors had been even older, and it simply wasn’t polite to gossip so openly.

Soon, the introductions began. On top of those, students were also required to draw numbers, for which no explaination was given. Very well. It would most likely be explained in due time.

When it was her turn, she got up slowly, and moved towards the front of the class with graceful movements, her dark, yet shiny hair flowing behind her like a veil made of many, many fine strands. Of course, she made sure to keep enough distance between herself and possible obstacles. She did, after all, lack a proper body. She was a moving image in a way, and just simulated the rare touching she had to do, with a power that some would call telekinesis.

Standing in front of the class was not too troublesome. She knew what was expected of her, after all, and would deliver just that.
“My name is Takakane Yuuko, and I am looking forward to participate in this class, to study together with all of you.”
She gave a polite, yet old fashioned bow, then straightened herself once more. “My interests are art, the history of this country, playing the piano, and kyûdo.”
For a moment, she wondered if there was a kyûdo-club, but she quickly remembered that, no, joining one would be a very bad idea at this time. She could practice archery on her own, back at home.
”I am pleased to meet all of you."

With that, her slightly formal introduction was over, and she returned to her seat, noticing that some of the eyes were following her. She had made sure to pay attention to her movements, though. None would have noticed a thing. She had become quite good at her little masquerade.

Only when she was seated did she examine the number. A three. She wondered what it meant.

The rest of the introductions weren’t too surprising. Utsuho, of course, was eccentric as usual, and thus stood out, but Yuuko expected nothing else, it was a part of her friend’s charm.

Shortly after, the classes truly began – and yet was still without explaination for the number. How odd.

OOC: Hope the posting is fine like that. I hate doing first postings!

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Takahashi Akira

Starting a new school was always stressful. Sitting in one's second new school in less then a year took this to a whole new level. With his last school being several thousand kilometers away, only the presence of his old friend Eiji and his new friend Tina eased the tension.

Akira was sitting sort of in the middle of the class. His papers, books, and pencils were in a jumble on the desk in front of him. He was wearing his uniform in the expected style, feeling it was to early to try adding any personalization to it. There would be plenty of time for that once he found out how strict the school really was about it.

Eiji was to his left, and in contrast to Akira, had everything in a precise place. For as long as Akira could remember, Eiji had set his things up the same way. The pen here. The pencil there. The extra paper in another spot. No matter how many times Eiji had been mocked for this, gently and in good humour by Akira, more unpleasantly by others, Eiji persisted. It was just the way he was.

Seated directly to Eiji's left, Tina wasn't quite as organized as Eiji, but she was close. She was drawing a fair number of looks from the others in the room. The delicate Japanese features she inherited from her grandmother combined with the bright green eyes and flaming red hair from her Irish-American mother were striking to say the least.

The classroom was very average seeming. There were the expected posters on the wall, the expected teacher's desk, and a very standard whiteboard. It was like someone had taken the room straight from a textbook on how a classroom was supposed to look.

Most of Akira's classmates seemed pretty average as well. Oh, some of the girls were cute, but every class is going to have at least some cute girls in it. It remained to be seen if any would be really interesting. The only other kid who stood out was over on the other side of the room, towards the back. He couldn't tell for sure without being rude, but it looked like the boy had two small horns poking up through his hair.

In the front of the room, the teacher was pacing in front of the desk. He was a short, fidgety man. When he talked, he spoke all in a rush, like he was afraid something was going to interrupt him before he had a chance to finish. Akira was sure he'd seen the man somewhere before, but he couldn't place where.

When the time came, Akira shoved his nerves aside and walked to the front of the room. Drawing a number seemed a little odd, but he'd survived stranger at Claremont.

"Hello. I am Takahasi Akira. I grew up here in Japan, but I spent the last year living in the United States. It was interesting, but it is good to be home. I like singing, listening to American goth and rock, and reading manga. My favorites are ones with large mecha." Akira says. He tries to think of anything else to add, but nothing springs to mind. Things like this were so uncomfortable.
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman

BedLlama
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby BedLlama » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Kinjo Kiyoshi

Kiyoshi looked down at his schedule, then back up at the door. "Yea, this is the room" he thought to himself. He looked at his watch: five minutes late. "So much for first impressions". He took a deep breath in, and opened the door. There was a clique of girls sitting up front in the desks nearest to the door, they seemed to be gossiping. At the far end of the room some otaku kids were chatting and showing off their laptops. Kiyoshi spotted some familiar faces at the back of the class- the other members of his band were all in his homeroom. Then he exhaled, feeling a sense of elation as he made another mental note: "The sensei isn't here yet!"

Kiyoshi moved to the back of the class and found a seat near his friends. Just as Kiyoshi was about to start conversing with his band-mates, the door flew open. In walked a very thin, sharp-featured man in his middle ages, holding a briefcase filled with so much paper that it had to be fastened shut with a bungee cord. The sensei was wearing a brown suit with black shoes that were caked in dried mud, and a crooked red tie. The flustered man placed his over-full briefcase on the desk and started counting the heads in the room. It was obvious the sensei hadn't shaved in at least three days.

The teacher finished his head-count. He seemed satisfied, placed a hat on top of his desk, and turned to write on the board. He wrote his name: Sensei Kikuchi, and he wrote some instructions: when pointed to, come to the front, introduce yourself (quietly), and then take a number from the hat. The sensei pointed at a student in the front row, and Kiyoshi put the earbuds of his MP3 player in to his ears and waited for his turn to awkwardly describe himself in a sentence.

He got through half of the album he was listening to when the teacher's finger finally pointed at Kiyoshi's desk. "Here it goes" he thought to himself as he made his way up to the front. "My name is Kinjo Kiyoshi-" He started. "Quitely, Yoshi, quietly!" His sensei interrupted. "Kiyoshi, if you please, sir". One of the girls in the front row giggled. He couldn't help thinking "Was that a good giggle, or a bad giggle?" Clearing his throat, he spoke up again. "My hobbies include martial arts, and music. In fact, I play in a band." More giggling came from the front. Feeling stupid, Kiyoshi started to head back to his seat.

The sensei called out as he was headed back. "Hey Yoshi, you forgot to grab a number". He didn't bother to correct the sensei about his name this time, he just ignored the further giggling and grabbed a slip of paper from the hat. As he sat back down the friend sitting to his left, Shino, was called up to the front. Hiro, the friend on his right was snickering and looking at Kiyoshi. "What?" Kiyoshi asked, as if he didn't already know.

"Yoshi" was all Hiro could say before bursting out in to laughter.

He sighed and put the earbuds back in. He looked down at the slip of paper he drew: It was a number 3. Shrugging, he slumped back in his desk's seat and drowned out the rest of the introductions with the blues stylings of Mississippi John Hurt.
Last edited by BedLlama on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 pm

OOC wrote:I started out with honorifics, but I'm not practiced enough to understand the proper levels of intimacy and politeness, so I largely removed them after a first usage.

Satosaku Kohaku
As Kohaku walked through the gates of Akazuchi Academy, she took a moment to remind herself that it was not her fault that the last school burned down -- Who knew that an ifrit did that when hot and bothered? And it wasn't like I was trying to provoke him. He appeared on campus, started smashing things. I transformed and did my best to stop him. How was I to know he enjoyed getting a beating? And it's not like I intended my uniform to burn off like that... Here I am, fighting him, and he suddenly stops, rears his head back, and two gouts of flaming blood exploded from his nostrils. I just have bad luck that's all. I... -- Kohaku was jolted out of her musings by an arm snaking around her shoulders. She reflexively caught the arm and dropped to one knee, her assailant rolling over her and crashing to the ground. Oh no... Yukimoto! As she knelt down beside him to see if he was alright, she heard a voice speak in a sardonic tone, "Oh Koha-chan, you do know that's not terribly ladylike. First, throwing him like that, and now you're flashing him." As Yoshie near the end of her sentence, Kohaku glanced down and realized that indeed, her current position revealed altogether too much! This isn't supposed to happen! Not out of uniform at least... She immediately leapt back upright and stock stock upright, legs pressed tightly together, flushing furiously. "Oh... Yukimoto-san, I am sorry. I hope that you are alright." If I blush any more, my glasses are going to start fogging. Yukimoto, for his part, seemed largely recovered. He chuckled and pushed his own glasses back into position and quietly spoke, "It's OK, Kohaku-san. I'm not hurt. And I should know better than to sneak up on you like that." He levered himself up to a sitting position and addressed Yoshie, "I'll consider the fall worth the 500 yen you lost to me. I told you she'd react rather than freezing up." With a smooth movement, he rocked himself to his feet, "That said, if we do not hurry, we will be late for homeroom." With that, they hurried off as a group.

Homeroom was not far and their directions were good. They arrived a good five minutes before class was to start, giving them time to find their chairs. Kohaku was pleased to find that she had a chair a few rows back and offset from the center. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down, after all. Yoshie and Yukimoto were seated a few rows over, amid a herd of chattering girls. Yoshie quickly made friends and joined in their gabbing. Yukimoto turned and gave Kohaku a hangdog expression and a slight shrug. Kohaku giggled and then leaned down to grab her sketchpad to pass the time. She'd managed minimalist sketches of a few of the more interesting students -- is that a girl or a boy? The face looks like a girl, but they are wearing a boy's uniform. Probably a delinquent. Well, then again, the boy in the corner desk sprawled out chewing a toothpick, tie untied and shirt half open, he's probably much more the delinquent, junior Yakuza-wannabe perhaps. And... no, that girl up front is perfectly normal. Odd... why did I sketch in such a ridiculous hairstyle on her? It's perfectly normal hair. Still, for a moment there... -- before the teacher came in. She was a young woman, fairly pretty-looking if a bit severe in her dress and stiff in her movements. I don't think she's wearing much makeup if any at all... maybe she's allergic? As the teacher entered, Kohaku joined the class in standing and bowed a greeting in return to that of the teacher. Before she could sit back down, the teacher told them to line up. One by one, they walked to the front of the room and were told to pick a piece of paper out of the hat. She could see the numbers of other people and was pretty sure that 5 was the highest one. As each person got their number, they went back to their seat. This is odd... but we are supposed to do what the teacher says. Maybe this is for study groups? Yoshie and Yukimoto went before her, one after the other. As they walked back, Yoshie flashed a 2 and Yukimoto a 3. Kohaku got a 3. I wish I could study with Yoshie... but Yukimoto is smart too. And maybe... maybe we can talk more without Yoshie around to pester us. She sat back down as the teacher explained that the school had accepted a larger number of new students than usual this year and that they would be expected to make their new colleagues welcome and to show them around. The teacher then said that she would be calling up each of the new students to stand before the class and give their name and interests. Much to her relief, she was not among the first few whose names were called, apparently by random. Yoshie went before her, and stood fearless before the class in her neatly pressed blouse and skirt, bright neon hoops dangling from her ears. "I'm Shimokôbe Yoshie. I like manga and cherry blossoms in the springtime. I am honored by the hospitality that has been shown to me already and I look forward to forming bonds with my classmates." I wish I could be that self-assured... Kohaku unconsciously fingered an odd lump in the backpack. If i stuck the wand in my pocket... but no, people might recognize it. Even if they don't realize it's the real thing, I'll have to explain why I'm a fan and... just no. Before she knew it, it was Kohaku's turn. She made her way up to the front of the class and looked out upon them. When they mutely stared back, she ducked her head slightly, provoking a muted giggle from one of the corners of the classroom. She quietly spoke, "I am Satosaku Kohaku. I too like manga. I hope that one day, my humble drawings will be considered good enough to be published. I - I have a somewhat fragile constitution, so I apologize if I have to leave suddenly during class. I... I am sorry for any inconvenience." She quickly ducked a bow and returned to her seat, face burning, sure that everyone was staring at her. She only raised her head when Yukimoto walked up to the front. He did not cut a very imposing figure, but Kohaku felt that he possessed a quiet sort of strength. "I am Hineno Yukimoto. I like computers and computer games. I wish to become a programmer of games. I look forward to meeting everyone." Yukimoto was the last person called up, and after he returned to his seat, the teacher began the normal process of homeroom.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am

Some interesting things do happen during the introductions.

Mako: Shortly after you introduce yourself, you're startled to see that one of the other students, whom you thought was just a short fellow, is actually much younger than the rest of your class. You find this out when he says, "I'm Kakizaki Tetsuya, and I'm thirteen years old. My hobbies are reading books, watching television, and playing video games. Please be kind to me." (That last said in the most insincere tone that you've ever heard.) You've heard of people skipping grades, but skipping all of junior high school?

Just after he introduces himself, the rather dark-skinned girl sitting behind him stands to say, "I'm Tomizawa Sariko. My hobbies are knitting, baking, and girl's lacrosse. I look forward to making friends with everyone."

As she sits down, Kakizaki turns to look at her and says, just loud enough for you to hear, "You are such a liar."

During the lessons that follow, Taki flashes you the number "four" to indicate which number he got. At the break, you find out from Kio that he got a number 1. Neither of them have any idea what this is all about.

Yuuko: Is someone watching you?

You're used to being observed, of course. But this is different. You feel like someone is staring at you with clearly hostile intent. But whenever you look (discretely, of course) no one is looking at you like that. Some of the girls (and, of course, the boys) are giving you looks (discretely, of course) but they're doing so with the usual heady heady mix of infatuation and admiration. Certainly nothing as ... angry as what you're feeling.

It's very strange.

Meanwhile, Utsuho has also drawn the number 3. At break, she opines that it's probably the first stage in a lottery that will slowly whittle down the students until only one remains, who will then be ritually sacrificed and buried under a cherry tree's roots. She finds this romantic. Hiroki has drawn the number 5.

Akira: The kid with the horns introduces himself. "Imano Ryu, and yes, I have horns. I'm a mutant. Such is life. My hobbies are soccer and destroying those who make fun of my horns. Ha ha ha. I am such a comedian. Please do not take me seriously." (This delivered completely deadpan.)

Eiji and Tina have both drawn number four. They're as mystified about it as you are.

Yoshi: Your focus on the blues keeps you from noticing anything interesting happening. Pity.

Kohaku: The ... person ... you noticed introduces as "Hanabishi Rei. My hobbies are reading and writing poetry." Even after the person has spoken, you're still not sure whether she's a boy or he's a girl.

Meanwhile, the delinquent in the corner says that he's "Mori Inosuke. I'm between hobbies. Perhaps some kind person will suggest a hobby that I can make my own." (This while still holding the toothpick between his teeth.)

And the young lady (who looks like she should have the unusual hairstyle) says that she's "Fukuyama Sayaka, and my hobbies include bonsai and sculpture. I look forward to making friends here."

All: Class proceeds more or less smoothly after the introductions. After it's done, you get a five minute break between classes -- implicitly, a bathroom break, though no one would be so gauche as to say that.

Kohaku (again): Returning from the break, you find Yoshie standing beside your desk with a smug grin. "I found out what the numbers are about," she announces.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
-- from Josh & Imp

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:15 am

Akechi Mako

Thirteen years old? Surely this Tetsuya was a most intelligent boy. Mako liked to think of himself as being clever, but he couldn't imagine being that far advanced in his studies at the age of thirteen. He was probably both a very hard worker and exceptionally gifted, a rare combination. And why did he sound so insincere? Maybe he was trying to point out that, despite being so young, he didn't need any favors from any of his classmates. It made sense, Mako thought. Being younger and probably smarter than the rest of your classmates tended to insure that they wouldn't like you very much.

When he called the other girl a liar, Mako wondered if he was right, or if he was just being difficult. Did he know this Sariko? Mako thought she was pretty and she certainly hadn't seemed like she was lying.

When the break began, Mako took a moment to tie his shoelace, lest he fall over, keeping to himself how much he would have preferred to do it with his powers. He wasn't exceptionally glad to have them, but they could definitely make his life easier. Soubi, ever the wise old monk, would have said that life wasn't supposed to be easy.

Standing up, Mako looked for Tetsuya, finding him to be a rather interesting boy. Besides, approaching him would have been a lot easier than approaching Sariko on the first day. Walking towards the other boy, Mako stopped a few feet away, so he wouldn't have to crane his neck downwards. "You must be very smart to be so ahead of your age." He inclined his head slightly as a sign of respect. "What makes you think that girl was lying?"

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

Mako wrote:color=purple]"You must be very smart to be so ahead of your age."[/color] He inclined his head slightly as a sign of respect. "What makes you think that girl was lying?"

Before Tetsuya can say anything, you realize that Sariko is standing very close behind you. As far as you know, she was on the other side of the room, speaking to some of the other girls in the class, when you began approaching him. You have no idea how she moved so quickly.

"Waka," she says to Tetsuya, who looks utterly humiliated. "Is this person bothering you?"

"Guess how I know she was lying," Tetsuya answers. "Just guess." To Sariko, he adds, "No, Sari, he's not bothering me. Much. And I told you not to call me waka in public."

"But we're not in public, waka, we're in class."

OOC: Mako probably knows that waka is the male version of ojo -- it's a term of respect to someone of high status, particularly employed by maids and butlers.
-- from Josh & Imp

Gabrie
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Gabrie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Takakane Yuuko

The feeling of being watched in such a way was indeed new, it was a surprising and worrying feeling.
She wasn't even sure why it was. Was it because of her family? Or because of...that unfortunate accident? Could someone tell?
Even more worrying was that she couldn't spot someone giving her such special attention. She had always been an observant person, that she could not find her observer either meant that she was worrying way too much, and imagining things - or that the person was good at hiding their intent.

Was it the teacher? The bald student? Someone else? It was hard to tell.

During the break, her two friends came over. It was odd how it was always like this, and for a moment she felt bad about it. Neither knew what the numbers meant, although the theories were...amusing.
She almost giggled after Utsuho had finished, it was so like her to come up with an oddball hypothesis like that.
"I think that forming study groups is more likely, though. But your way would certainly be unique, albeit worrying. Still, it is a shame that we don't all have the same numbers." She smiled at her friends, then paused for a moment. "But either way, I am sorry, I need to...you understand..."

They did, and let her through, allowing the tall student to move towards the restrooms. Luckily, people let her pass just fine, as she was used to.

Leaving the classroom was mostly to test if she still felt watched while being out of the room for the few minutes she had. Of course, just a few months ago, she would have considered the mere notion silly, and would have considered such a feeling to be the simple result of being new to the school, but she had gotten careful during the last weeks. A bit of caution never hurt, as her father used to say.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Gabrie wrote:Leaving the classroom was mostly to test if she still felt watched while being out of the room for the few minutes she had. Of course, just a few months ago, she would have considered the mere notion silly, and would have considered such a feeling to be the simple result of being new to the school, but she had gotten careful during the last weeks. A bit of caution never hurt, as her father used to say.

The feeling does ease once you leave the room. As it happens, you pass the bald student (Furusawa Sakutaro, you think his name was) coming back in as you leave; he went out as soon as the opportunity allowed, and the sensation continued after he was gone.
-- from Josh & Imp

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Kind of a sparse post... I wrote from work during breaks and now I have to leave for rehearsal. Hopefully, it's sufficient.
Satosaku Kohaku
Davies wrote:The ... person ... you noticed introduces as "Hanabishi Rei. My hobbies are reading and writing poetry." Even after the person has spoken, you're still not sure whether she's a boy or he's a girl.

How peculiar... I wonder whether there's a polite way to ask. I could try to access the school records, but... no, that shouldn't be necessary. I'm just being silly.

Davies wrote:Meanwhile, the delinquent in the corner says that he's "Mori Inosuke. I'm between hobbies. Perhaps some kind person will suggest a hobby that I can make my own." (This while still holding the toothpick between his teeth.)

Kohaku could almost swear that she heard Yoshie mutter that she had a few hobbies she'd like to show him, but when she whipped her head around, Yoshie was apparently staring towards the window in utter boredom. No... no, even Yoshie wouldn't say that. Would she? Was she ever attracted to the delinquent type before? Kohaku racked her brains mightily, but couldn't recall the details of any of the guys Yoshie had gone out with in the past. I suppose I ought to have listened more closely. But really... sometimes all she does is go on about boys!

Davies wrote:And the young lady (who looks like she should have the unusual hairstyle) says that she's "Fukuyama Sayaka, and my hobbies include bonsai and sculpture. I look forward to making friends here."

Kohaku looked back down at her sketch and held it up against Sayaka's profile as she spoke. All of the other proportions are right. So why did I draw her hair in such outrageous spikes and curls? I must have been daydreaming and sketching something from the design of a character in one of the manga I've been reading. Well, she sounds artistic. Maybe we'd have something to talk about. It would be nice to have other people I know... who don't associate me with the smell of burning buildings.

Davies wrote:Class proceeds more or less smoothly after the introductions. After it's done, you get a five minute break between classes -- implicitly, a bathroom break, though no one would be so gauche as to say that.

Returning from the break, you find Yoshie standing beside your desk with a smug grin. "I found out what the numbers are about," she announces.

Kohaku caught up Yoshie's hands in hers, her eyes animated. "Really? Did you overhear the teacher saying something? Are we going to be split apart into groups? I mean, I want to be in a group with you, but it would be good to spend more time with Ukimoto and..." she paused and blushed. "But... besides that, what do the numbers mean?" Kohaku bit her lip. "This isn't a theory that the numbers are like that weird American TV show with the people stuck on the island, is it?" Kohaku was familiar with her friend's occasional flights of fancy although, unlike Yukimoto, it was usually pretty obvious when she was actually trying to make a joke. Sometimes... sometimes I really don't know what's going on in Yukimoto's head. He's just so quiet and intense... Kohaku felt her drifting off into a daydream about Yukimoto, only to be jerked back to reality by Yoshie starting her explanation.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Kohaku wrote:"Really? Did you overhear the teacher saying something? Are we going to be split apart into groups? I mean, I want to be in a group with you, but it would be good to spend more time with Ukimoto and..." she paused and blushed. "But... besides that, what do the numbers mean?" Kohaku bit her lip. "This isn't a theory that the numbers are like that weird American TV show with the people stuck on the island, is it?"

"No, no, no. That would be cool, though. But one of the other students, who went to the junior high of this school, explained it while you were out. They do this in every class, for all the schools at the academy. You see --"

Before she can go any further ...

All: Any conversation that any of you might be having is abruptly cut off as air raid sirens begin to howl. A calm voice begins speaking over the PA system. "All students and staff, please move in a calm and orderly fashion to your designated Deep Security bunker. This is not a drill." The message repeats automatically.

Looking out of the classroom window, you can see giant holographic numbers appearing over a number of locations on the campus -- a three over one of the oldest buildings, and the other numbers between one and five over other ones.

It seems fairly likely that there's a connection between this and the numbers.
-- from Josh & Imp

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Akechi Mako

Mako simply watched the exchange between the two silently for a moment, idly wondering how the girl could have moved so fast and so quietly. And why had she called him waka? What kind of weird relationship did she have with this young boy? Mako wondered with a touch of fear what she would have done had Tetsuya said Mako had been bothering him much. He wanted to open his senses to the boy's mind, but that was certainly not a good idea.

So instead he gave a small smile and began to speak-

But that was when the siren started. Eyes on the giant numbers, Mako hurried-but in an orderly fashion-to the old-looking building. Not a drill, huh? Maybe they were just saying that so the students would take this seriously. After all, why would that voice have been so calm if there was a real emergency going on? Mako wasn't too worried, he had his powers, after all. No, he was far more concerned with his two strange classmates, the young boy and the strangely attentive girl. He only hoped he had a chance to find out what their relationship was, and-with a dark feeling-hoped he could do it without 'bothering Tetsuya'. If only Taki or Kio would here, then he could share his thoughts on the subject. Now that he thought about them, he was worried. He was reasonably sure he could protect himself, Aoyagi-Sensei had gone to great lengths to make sure he could, but now he was in position to protect his friends.

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Takahashi Akira

Akira raises an eyebrow at Imano Ryu. Wow. I bet he's had it rough. Perhaps I should approach him after class. There were certainly a few students at Claremont who were... different. It was a bit hard getting to know them, but it proved worthwhile.

During the break, the topic of conversation of the group passes quickly from numbers to how they were going to balance everyone's favorite music styles. As much as everyone liked the others favorites, The Crüxshadows, Fire Bomber, and Johnny Cash had music that just didn't fit into the same play list. Trying figure out what to learn to play was an ongoing discussion.

When the alarms start ringing, Akira looks a little faint. "On no! I hope this isn't like last time."

Eiji looks at Akira oddly. "Last time?" he asks. "Oh right! Those shadow things at Claremont!"

"Well, I'm glad we are at such a well prepared school, that has the bunkers in case of trouble. Not like that American school where you got chased out of the classroom with nowhere to hide." Tina says, sounding more confident then she looked.

"Yeah... We'd better get moving. I guess I'll see you all after? Be safe!"Akira says, flashing his paper with the three on it at them.

"You to!" Eiji and Tina echo. They grab their bags and start walking out. Just after they pass through the door, Akira notices them holding hands.

Akira grabs his bag and starts out himself. He tries not to let his nervousness show, but he doesn't think he's doing a very good job. He still had a nightmare or two a week about that shadow thing starting to wrap it's 'hands' around his neck. Only the timely arrival of one of those 'different' students had saved him.
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;

They stood, and earth's foundations stay;

What God abandoned, these defended,

And saved the sum of things for pay.

-A.E. Housman

Return to “M&M Game Room”