Tomorrow Man Project [OOC; Full]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Tomorrow Man Project [Now Recruiting 5]

Postby roguescribner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 am

I tweaked my character's stats a bit. I felt she needed a couple of more feats, so I lowered her toughness and got rid of her immunity to critical hits and added some combat feats to her.

You can see the changes in my post here.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Hutter
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hutter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 pm

RedBstrd wrote:
Hutter wrote:Patchwork

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +7 (24), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +1 (12), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +18 , Fort: +7, Ref: +4, Will: +6

Skills: Computers 8 (+10), Craft Electronic 8 (+10), Drive 4 (+4), Notice 4 (+5), Disable device 4 (+6),

Feats: Accurate attack, Dodge Focus 3, Eidetic memory, Move-by Attack, Power attack, Improved aim, Precise Shot 2, Luck 2

Powers:
Animate Object 1 (Touch range, 2 at once, machines only) [2 pp]
Data link 2 (Machine control) [3 pp]
Flight 5 (250 MPH) [10 pp]
Immunity (Life-support, aging, critical hits) [12 pp]
Protection 11 (+5 Impervous) [16 pp]

Body Weapon Array [27+5 pp]
Blast 12 (Variable description (tech) Accurate, Precise)
* Blast 6 (Explosion, Variable description (tech) Accurate 3)
* Blast 6 (Line, Variable description (tech) Accurate 3)
*Blast 6 (Penetrating, Variable description (tech) Accurate 3)
*Blast 6 (Cylinder, Variable description (tech) Accurate 3)
*Blast 6 (Auto fire, Variable description (tech) Accurate 3)

Attack Bonus: +6 (Ranged: +6, Melee: +6, Most powers +12)

Defence: 8 (Flat-footed: 2),

Initiative: +2

Languages: English

Drawbacks: Weakness (MachineControl and EMP)

Totals: Abilities 26 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 12 + Powers 75 + Combat 22 + Saves 13- Drawbacks 5 = 150

I took your second suggestion regarding defence/thoughness I also lowered my Animate object to just 1, enough to have one or two computer systems running in the background. I used the extra 5 points for Impervious thoughness 5.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:53 pm

roguescribner wrote:I tweaked my character's stats a bit. I felt she needed a couple of more feats, so I lowered her toughness and got rid of her immunity to critical hits and added some combat feats to her.

You can see the changes in my post here.

Those changes are fine.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Keep submitting those applications/concepts/builds!

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mr.United » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Pinpoint

Power Level 10 (150 pp)

Abilities:
STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 20 (+5)
CON: 14(+2)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 14 (+2)
(26pp)

Skills: Bluff 8 (+2), Disguise 8 (+2), Notice 10 (+1), Search 10 (+1), Stealth 10 (+5), Acrobatics 10 (+5), Disable Device 10 (+1), and Investigation 6 (+1)
(18pp)

Feats: Equipment +11(+1), Accurate Attack, Elusive Target, Evasion +2, Improved Aim, Power Attack, Stunning Attack, Precise Shot +2, Instant Up, Quick Draw, Fearless, Quick Change, Jack of All Trades.
(25pp)

Powers:

Device: (Syntha Suit)
PP: 30
Protection (+8)
(8pp)
Invisible (All)
(8pp)
Immunity (Life-Support)
(9pp)
Quickness (+4 ) (Flaw: Physical Skills Only -1)
(4pp)
Super Sight (Inferred)
(1pp)
Total: 30pp in Device
(24pp)

Super Strength (+2)
(4pp)

Device: (Omega (Ninjato))
PP: 20
Strike: (+8)
-Secondary Attack (Structural Integrity)
-Penetrate +3
Feats: Split Attack
(12pp)

Device: (Ion Cannon (Blaster Pistol))
Feat: Incurable, Area,
PP: 10
Range (+8) (Flaw: Limited (1 Shot per Hour) -1)
(8pp)

Leaping
(3pp)

(Total: 54pp)

Equipment: Combat Belt (Utility Belt) [25ep], Assault Rifle (Laser, and Suppressor) [15ep], Heavy Pistol (Laser, and Suppressor) [10ep]

Combat:
Attack: +6
Defense: +4
(20pp)

Saves:
Toughness +8+2(0pp)
Fortitude +3+2 (3pp)
Reflex +2+5 (2pp)
Will +2+2 (2pp)
- (7 pp)

Abilities 26 + Skills 18 + Feats 25 + Combat 20 + Saves 7 + Powers 54 = 150

Complications:
-Obsessed: Nathan can’t get over that he isn’t perfect.

-Insanity: Though he is ‘cured’, if a event could give him enough pain, he might snap back into insanity.

-Hooked: Nathan can’t help himself, if he doesn’t get his 5 times daily fix of pills, he starts doubting his abilites.

-Alias: Pinpoint-
Place of Birth: New York, New York
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Girlfriend (Jasmine Lee), Mother & Father (Janet Smith and Tom Wesson)
Date of Birth: 01/18/84

Background:

Nathan’s childhood has never been talked about much. He keeps it a secret, thinking that someone might use something of his past against him. However, when the time came for a test subject for a unknown agent that was meant to make soldiers better in every way. By the time he heard about it, he was a Sergeant in the US Army Sniper Team.

The people of Apex Corp found Nathan to be loyal and seemed all over a well round man. With his success rate in the Army and a mountain of medals he had won, he was inducted into the project with little argument.

The process for Nathan was painful. His chemical combination seemed to activate all the nerves in his body, making it seem like he was melting. The pain was so intense that he couldn’t sleep or eat for 4 weeks. After the treatment, Nathan seemed to be lost in insanity. The doctors really didn’t know what to do with him. He was fine on all the tests and seemed to of gained some powers. However they couldn’t talk to Nathan for all he would do is curl up in a corner and mumble none sense. Finally when they were about to loss hope, Nathan came around and after going through some therapy, was back to full strength. However, the army thought it too late and honorably discharged Nathan.

The scientists eventually learned that Nathan did gain some abilities, but nothing really to start a party over. The want to gain more powers took hold of Nathan and in a few short months, he placed himself on a diet that consisted of a lot of pill popping. Anything from Fish Oil to B12; the drugs were legal and over the counter, but with the high dose Nathan was giving himself, no drug was safe to take. Apex paid no attention to the pill popping for it was legal ‘vitamins’ and it seemed to be helping Nathan’s abilities increase.

Even though the pills were improving him, Nathan still wanted more. He went to Dr. Griswold Hoch for help in this matter. Reluctant at first, cause of his obvious hunger for power, the good Dr. aided Nathan and together, they constructed 3 items of power.

The first item was his suit. This full body suit was able to trap in all smells and air. With the combination of the ability to reflect the light around him, Nathan would be truly invisible. The suit also held other abilities, but the invisibility was their pride and joy. Second was the Ion Cannon. With this gun, he could have the ability to level a building or open a safe that has trapped people inside. However, the energy used to expel such a great force causes the gun to shut down for one hour due to heat, and the EMP burst when it fires. The EMP wave was very small and only affected the gun. They couldn’t solve this issue….Yet. Lastly was his sword. Based of a famous Ninja weapon; For Nathan had a thing about Ninjas and their sword skills. Wanting to copy their stealth like ways, he adopted the sword which wsa built more for suprise attacks, than for one on one confrontation. The Dr and Nathan were able to sharpen the blade down to a monomolecular level, and when an object or person was struck, the sword (known as Omega) now holds a monomolecular edge, which means those hit by it take two ways of damage; once for being cut, and once for the damage to their molecular integrity.

It was more the good Dr. than Nathan whom made these. Nathan had the ideas and the Dr. brought them to life. Nathan did construct his Combat Belt, arming himself with both Live Ammo and Rubber Bullets. Since he was done with the Army, he went into Apex . He was on a mission to watch some girl. It was thought she had some information on the mafia. It was a dark moonless night when the girl actually caught him and confronted him, Nathan was shocked, for no one had the ability to catch him before. After speaking with this girl (whom later was known as Jasmine), he found out that the person whom knew the mafia was actually her sister; Nathan canceled the job and asked the girl out. They are currently dating. He later found out that she had a sixth sense when it came to people. That she could feel when people were watching her, scrying her or just even thinking hard enough about her. It was a odd ability but both Nathan and Jasmine kept this quiet. They are currently living together. And though many don't know it, she is his anchor this this world and his grip to reality. If she was ever killed, who knows what would become of Pinpoint.

Personal: Nathan obsesses about being the ‘perfect’ hero with the ‘perfect’ powers. He will always vanish when the team is talking or gathered, and then return moments later. If anoyone follows, they find him munching down vitiamns and energy pills. When asked where he's going, he always uses the bathroom excuse. Whether the team is curious depends on the person. He is really doing is popping about 13 different pills. He does not shot to kill and has yet gotten a kill while on hero work.
Last edited by Mr.United on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mister_J
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mister_J » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Mr.United wrote:Device: (Syntha Suit)
PP: 35
Protection (+8)
(8pp)
Invisible (All)
(8pp)
Immunity (Life-Support)
(9pp)
Quickness (+2) (Flaw: Physical Skills Only -1)
(4pp)
Super Sight (Inferred)
(1pp)
Total: 35pp in Device
(24pp)

6 Ranks of Hard to Lose Device costs 24pp and gives 30 (6x5) pp of powers. To get 35 pp of power you need one more rank of Device costing 4 more pp.

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mr.United » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Forgot to change the details..If you count it's only 30 points...I will change that. Thanks.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Mr.United wrote:Deathshot

I notice a few issues with the build:

First, your Will save bonus from Wisdom should only be +1.

Second, the bonus to Disable Device comes from Int, not Dex. At the top, you list 18 pp worth of skills, while the bottom lists 19 pp. I only count 18, so please make those match up.

Third, I'm not sure how your Equipment works. When I add those pieces, I get 60 points (Equipment 12), plus the grappling gun. I'm not sure how it is built, but if it has Super Movement 2 (Air Walking 2), then it costs 4 ep and brings the total up to Equipment 13 (64 pp).

Fourth, with your Quickness +2 (I assume that is 2 ranks), it should cost only 1 pp if it is flawed. Super Strength 3 costs 6 pp. I can't tell how the blaster pistol is constructed. Could you clean that part up a bit, please? What does the Secondary Attack (Structural Integrity) do?

Lastly, I only count 55 pp worth of powers, but the Equipment cost raises your feats to 27. Please update the numbers on the counter at the bottom. My count puts the character's build at 155 pp.

For the background, you will have to change the character's code name. Apex's PR department would take about 2 seconds to object to it. The design of the sword seems a bit awkward as well. Neither the character nor Dr. Hoch seem to have a good reason to base it on a ninja weapon. Finally, if the character was a member of Apex's team, he would receive a salary. He would have no need to become a private investigator. It doesn't seem like the PI job does much for character development other than introducing the girlfriend, so you should be able to tweak that without causing too many hardships for yourself.

Please go ahead and clean up the build a bit.

The legacy that you proposed in a PM works.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 am

Just as a general comment, I noticed that a lot of the builds that I am seeing don't have very ambitious powers. I see some passive abilities like Immunity, Super Senses, and Enhanced Abilities, but a lot of the powers seem to revolve around living weapon-type concepts. That's fine and I'm not bias against those builds; I just want to clarify that any power set is acceptable so long as it manifests by virtue of the serum. Paragons, energy controllers, telepaths, mystics, shape shifters, totems, weather controllers, speedsters, etc., are all valid builds.

I'm not encouraging anyone to remake their characters, I am just clarifying that overt super powers are rare in the world, not on your team. In other words, don't feel constrained regarding your character concepts.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:52 pm

In light of the "working on the database" problem, I'll extend the deadline for applications by 2 days. Please have your applications in by Sunday at noon.

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Tomorrow Man Project [Recruiting (5) until noon Sunday]

Postby Mr.United » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I just logged on after 3-4 days of Maintence problems. I will fix my character ASAP.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tomorrow Man Project [Recruiting (5) until noon Sunday]

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Since the maintenance gave us two more days of problems, I'll extend the deadline to Tuesday at noon. Please contact me if you need more time.

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Tomorrow Man Project [Recruiting (5) until noon Tuesday]

Postby Mr.United » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Alright, with my notable errors, I have fixed them all, updated my char and he should be as clean as ivory snow.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Presto the Magician

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:05 pm

PRESTO THE MAGICIAN

Mentalist extraordinaire
"“The mind is a plaything of the body. And of me.”"
Identity: Secret ID

APPEARANCE
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 4”
Weight: 183 lbs
Hair: Black, neatly cut
Eyes: Very dark brown, almost black
Clothing: His "super hero uniform" consists of a black tuxedo complete with cane and cape with red lining, classic stage magician garb. His concession to hiding his identity is to don a black domino mask and fake whiskers (pencil mustache and a Van Dyk beard).

POWER LEVEL
Power Level: 10
Power Points: 150
Max Attack: 10
Max Defense: 12
Max Save DC: 10
Max Toughness: 8

ABILITIES
STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 16 (+3)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 14 (+2)

COMBAT
Attack 2 (Melee +2, Ranged +5) [Unarmed +1 (Bruise)]
Defense 12 (2 flat-footed)
Initiative 2

SAVES
Toughness 8 (4 flat-footed)
Fortitude 5
Reflex 6
Will 9

SKILLS
Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Bluff 11 (+13)
Climb (+1)
Concentration 5 (+8)
Craft
-Mechanical 8 (+11)
Diplomacy 6 (+8)
Disable Device 8 (+11)
Disguise 6 (+8)
Escape Artist 12 (+14)
Gather Info (+2)
Handle Animal (+2)
Intimidate 4 (+6)
Knowledge
-Behavioral Sciences 8 (+11)
Notice 8 (+11)
Perform
-Stage Magic 12 (+14)
Search 8 (+11)
Sense Motive 14 (+17)
Sleight of Hand 10 (+12)
Stealth 10 (+12)
Survival (+3)
Swim (+1)

LANGUAGES
Slovak, English, Latin

FEATS
Attack Focus, Ranged (2)
Attack Specialization (Knives)
Attractive (1)
Combat Concealment
Defensive Roll (4)
Distract (1) - Bluff
Dodge Focus (8)
Eidetic Memory
Equipment (2) - Spent on equipment array as seen in powers.
Gaslighting (Basically Inventor, except using Behavioral Sciences as the Knowledge check and Perform: Stage Magic for the Craft check, models him creating elaborate magical effects in advance)
Hide in Plain Sight
Sneak Attack (2) - +3 to damage when target is flat-footed.
Uncanny Dodge (1) - Visual sense

POWERS
Substitution 10 - From MeMa - Power Check against an aimed attack to have attack only hit a decoy and to "teleport" up to 100 ft away (where you were in the first place, presumably) - In the case of Presto, a cape is always left behind.
Hypnotism Array 5 (default power: mind control) - None of the powers have the Mental trait as they work off of rapid hypnotism
. . Combat Mantra (Variable 2) (Array; acquire: any trait)
. . . . Example Power Setting (Attack Specialization (Knives), Power Attack, Precise Shot 2, Throwing Mastery 6)
. . Concealment 10 (Array; all senses; Phantasm)
. . Confuse 10 (Array; DC 20; Range (perception); Sense-Dependent (Hearing))
. . Emotion Control 10 (Array; DC 20; Sense-Dependent (Hearing))
. . Illusion 10 (Array; affects: all sense types, DC 20; Phantasms, Action (full), Distracting)
. . Mind Control 10 (Default; DC 20; Sense-Dependent (Hearing))
. . Mind Reading 4 (Array; training, DC 14; No Saving Throw; Sense-Dependent (Visual); Subtle 2 (unnoticable)) - Simulates Presto's ability to ferret out peoples' thoughts by watching their facial expressions
. . Transform (Mental) 10 (Array; affects: alter mind, DC 20; Action (full), Check Required (Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences)), Requires Mental Grapple)
Ensnare Mind (Mind Reading 10) (DC 20; Sense-Dependent (Hearing), Limited to Mental Grapples, Limited by Language) - Exists entirely to allow for a Mental grapple Originally, I intended for more of the powers to require a mental grapple, but that kind of slipped away for now.

Immunity 6 (aging, environmental condition: Heat, environmental condition: Cold, poison, sleep, starvation & thirst; Limited - Half Effect)

Equipment Array:
Flash-powder (Dazzle (visual) 3 – Touch Burst Area (30 ft)) (8 ep)
AP: Smoke bomb (ranged Obscure 2 [all senses] radius 10 ft)(1 ep)
AP: [a] Knives (Blast 4) (1 ep)
Magician's Suit (Feature: Numerous hidden pockets) (1 ep)
Undercover Vest (Protection 3, Subtle) (4 ep)

DRAWBACKS
None

COMPLICATIONS
Enemies - In his days of mob-busting, Presto acquired a wide range of enemies. He's outlived many of them, but their progeny still see him as an open bounty.
Obsession - Presto has some old-fashioned beliefs about proper behavior and human nature. He "cured" a few members of his rogue's gallery back in the day by effectively brainwashing them to become completely different people.
Reputation - Odrej performed for years as Medvedik the Magician in venues across the country. While he's not been nearly as high profile in recent years (he now bills himself as Marlo the Magnificent for his non-profit gigs), there's a good chance of stage magic buffs recognizing him.

SUMMARY
Abilities 24 + Skills 34 (136 ranks) + Feats 27 + Powers 44 + Combat 12 + Saves 14 – Drawbacks 0 = 150 / 150

BACKGROUND
Presto grew up as Odrej Medvedík in the Slovak Republic during the second World War. He saw the Nazis as no worse or better than many other governments. He just kept his head down and tried to avoid trouble. After the war, he managed to get smuggled to the United States where used his natural talents in card tricks and petty theft to become a street magician. To his amazement, he had great gifts in this area and he quickly became a well-known stage magician under the name of The Great Nikolai. One night, the mob members decided to hold up the nightclub where he was performing. Olav managed to sneak off stage during the initial confusion and proceeded to take out one mobster after another using various tricks he'd learned from doing close magic in the street. He was hailed as a hero for the event, but thought little of it until more mobster ambushed him later that night at his penthouse. Again, he managed to divide and conquer the gang through trickery. He then realized that they weren't likely to let him get away with this, so he walked away from his identity, shaved off his beard and hair to travel across the U.S. as an itinerant street magician.

Along the way, he was introduced to the art of hypnosis and was fascinated. Again, his interest was rewarded with suddenly discovered competency and he developed his own techniques to rapidly induce hypnotic states, even in unwilling or combative subjects using a number of previously unknown backdoors in the human consciousness. Encountering by chance an attempt at bank robbery, he was able to use his rapid induction techniques to not only stop the robbery without injury on either side, but he also met with the man later and, through repeated sessions, was able to help the man become an upstanding citizen. He embarked on a dual life of being a highly paid stage magician and fighting crime (primarily organized crime) in the evenings as Presto. Over the years, through repeated self-hypnosis, he has managed to train himself to resist extreme temperatures, lack of sleep, even the effects of old age. After years of crime-fighting, he realized that sooner or later, the odds were going to go against him, so he hung up his mask and retired in 1964 (date adjustable according to concept) although he kept his hand in on the stage magic front, mentoring various young magicians and doing performances for schools and nursing homes (one of his more memorable performances in the latter was for a largely senile Boss Cierzynski who'd wound up in the nursing home after serving 50 years in prison for mob-related crimes and had in fact been put away by Presto). When Apex Corp started calling for heroes, he dusted off his old domino mask and stage magician garb, and headed in. They recognized the publicity potential of engaging one of the early masked heroes and put him through the "Tomorrow Man" process. The results were modest from their point of view -- Presto's ability to mesmerize subjects became almost effortless -- but combined with the potential good publicity and his natural talents, it was sufficient for them to advertise him as one of their successes.

PERSONALITY
Very precise, quite melodramatic. Presto secretly is not a big believer in free will. He things that we're all machines that can be tuned and modified, that our supposedly free actions are all the results of environment and genetics. Imagine B.F. Skinner crossed with Svengali. Still, he knows well enough that appearance is nine-tenths of the game, so he projects an image of a benevolent old-timer, dispensing anecdotes and tips to the team members. In action, he is somewhat more ruthless, having learned long ago that knocking out a mook takes them out of the game for maybe an hour. Slipping a stilleto between their ribs takes them out somewhat more permanently.

TACTICS
Presto knew he'd lose in a straight fight with most super-villains, so he generally picked his battles in locations he'd carefully prepared. He would then proceed to take out the thugs one at a time. He had limited luck fighting super-powered crime. He ran far too much risk of getting pasted by a lucky blast of fire or super-strength-enhanced punch. The successes he had very largely gaslighting affairs where he psychologically imbalanced them prior to officially encountering them.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Modified with the 5 pp we'd received. Mainly expanding his combat power options, although I did some minor reshuffling of skill points (he was 1 over on Bluff with the Attractive modifier and he had no ranks in Concentration) and feats (removed Taunt and Elusive Target, which didn't quite feel right, and added Combat Concealment.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Tomorrow Man Project [Recruiting (5) until noon Tuesday]

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 pm

I am having internet connection issues... which is to say my ISP canceled my account where I was living before I wanted them too, and tried to set up new access at my new place before I was ready for it... I "hope" to have regular access again for the end of the week. I am still trying to tweak "Bunny" specific to this campaign, and for PL10.

Return to “M&M Game Room”