Way of the Fist: [OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Way of the Fist: [OOC]

Postby Tattooedman » Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:I plan on adding All-Out Attack definitely (fits the concept). I'm debating adding a Super-Strength AP or two, but I'm not certain how comic-booky that would make the character. I'm actually debating picking up Growth 4 as a Permanent. Modifying my stats along with it, it would basically cost me an extra pp to make it innate, but would give me extra reach. ^_^ It could be excused in-character as a "growth spurt". Been happening to him suddenly like that since he was about five.

All-Out Attack is fine by me. As for the Super Strength AP I'm somewhat leery of that though the Growth sounds good and fits well with the uniqueness you've given Baki.

I'm also considering phasing out two of my feats which are nice for flavor but haven't worked for actual combat. I have too low of an attack value, and too low of a defense value, for Defensive Throw and Grappling Block to work right.

No problem with those changes on my part.

I have also considered changing his Snare power to have the Requires Grapple flaw (although that's not a horribly large flaw on his part with his grapple bonus). That way, he'd automatically restrain people upon pinning them. If the flaw would be a valid one (instead of just being +0 for it being both a hindrance and a benefit that balance out) I might go for Transparent to represent that generally, the bindings don't provide cover.

As it is Baki's Grapple checks are monsterious to beat, it's more a matter of him being able to connect with a victim (or target if you prefer). With his Grapple bonus as it is (then add in the bonuses from Growth) I don't see the Requires Grapple flaw as being much of a flaw for him.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Revised Baki Hanma

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

BAKI HANMA
Mighty Grappler
"Once I get hold of you, it's your end."

APPEARANCE
Size: Medium
Height: 8' 8”
Weight: 684 lb
Hair: Bald, but normally black
Eyes: Green

POWER LEVEL
Power Level: 10
Power Points: 156
Max Attack: 8
Max Defense: 8
Max Save DC: 12
Max Toughness: 12

ABILITIES
STR: 34 (+12)
DEX: 10 (+0)
CON: 34 (+12)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 12 (+1)

COMBAT
Attack 3 (Melee 6, Ranged 3, Unarmed 8) [Unarmed +12 (Bruise)]
Defense 8 (4 flat-footed)
Initiative 0
Grapple bonus: 6 (attack) + 12 (strength) + 3 (SS) + 4 (Size) = +25

SAVES
Toughness 12 (12 flat-footed)
Fortitude 12
Reflex 4
Will 6

SKILLS
Bluff (+1)
Climb (+8)
Concentration (+1)
Craft (Structural) 6 (+6)
Diplomacy (+1)
Disguise (+1)
Escape Artist (+0)
Gather Info (+1)
Handle Animal 7 (+8)
Intimidate 15 (+18)
Knowledge (Martial Arts) 4 (+4)
Notice 5 (+6)
Search 4 (+4)
Sense Motive 8 (+9)
Stealth (-4)
Survival 2 (+3)
Swim (+8)

LANGUAGES
Chinese, English

FEATS
All-Out Attack
Attack Focus, Melee (3)
Attack Specialization (1) [unarmed]
Chokehold
Crushing Pin - Inflict unarmed damage against grappled opponent when they're pinned
Damaging Escape - Make an unarmed attack when escaping from a grapple
Elusive Target
Equipment 1 [Rope, Tent, misc camping supplies]
Improved Grab
Improved Pin
Improved Startle
Improved Throw
Improved Trip
Instant Up
Interpose
Power Attack
Prone Fighting
Startle
Takedown Attack (2)
Withstand Damage

POWERS
Snare 12 (Touch range) [Innate] [Power loss: Requires rope in his possession or close at hand]
..AP: Trip 6 (Touch Range, Knockback) [Innate] [Power loss: Requires rope in his possession or close at hand]
Impervious Toughness 6
Leaping 3: x10 distance
Super-Strength 3 [Light load of 7.5 tons]
..AP: Immovable 3 (Extra: Unstoppable)
Speed 2 (25 MPH)
Growth 4 (Continuous, Permanent) [Innate]
Affects Insubstantial 2 on Strength Bonus - Represents his first attempts at summoning chi into his limbs. [full bonus for +12 damage]

DRAWBACKS
Illiterate (-1 pp)

COMPLICATIONS
* Honor/Pride - He will not refuse a fight, even when terribly outclassed
* Thin-skinned - Baki is prone to picking fights at the least sign of insult
* Reputation - Baki has little respect for rank. This has in the past led to troubles with officials.
* Simple - The village where Baki was born was quite backward and therefore he's not familiar with the intricacies of modern technology. He's learning, slowly, but he's somewhat resistant to change.

SUMMARY
Abilities 40 + Skills 13 (52 ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 45 + Combat 26 + Saves 9 – Drawbacks -1 = 154 / 154

BACKGROUND
Hanma Baki was born of an unassuming peasant couple in China at an early age of 6 months and a rather astounding birth weight of 15 lbs despite the early delivery. He grew up unnaturally strong and large, with many of his neighbors whispering none too quietly that his mother must have played foul with an ox. He was fighting in impromptu tournaments with adults at the age of 8 and winning them fairly handily. He quickly tired of the bucolic life of a farmer and set out to make his fortune and to enjoy his love of brawling. Funtionally illiterate and lacking many social graces, he has had a decidedly difficult time making his way in the modern world. Most frustrating for him, he has been barred from many competitions because he's a "meta" and therefore only eligible for specialized competition. Baki sees this as implication of him cheating and is none too happy about it, as he achieved his skills and power honestly. The truth lies partly in between. Baki's substantial strength and constitution are indeed completely natural, the result of a mutation in both copies of his myostatin-producing gene. However, his utter imperviousness to hazards such as knives and bullets, and his superhuman speed and leaping abilities actually stem from interactions of the genes with emanations of a buried magic artifact near the site where he was born.

PERSONALITY
Baki is very focused on bettering his skills. While he is willing to work with others, he does not easily form ties. However, when he does decide someone is his friend, he will stick with them until the bitter end. In particular, lost as he's been in their modern and foreign world, he's prone to latch onto those who aid him in his travels.

TACTICS
Baki is far from subtle. He tends to wade into combat and try to get his opponent into a clinch. He knows well enough to remain in the thick of combat when there are opponents with ranged attacks, but otherwise, he tends to rely on his surprising quickness for a man of his bulk to catch opponents. Over the years, he has become very proficient at hojojutsu,seemingly drawing a rope from nowhere to bind opponents in combat.

Edits: Removed Grappling Block and Defensive Throw. [-2]
Added Growth 4 [Innate] for 13 pts. Removed 8 pts of Strength and 4 of Constitution to keep his stats the same, adjusted Climb and Swim to lose 4 pts (since Growth doesn't help with those), and adjusted his totals for Stealth and Intimidate. To accomodate for the loss of attack bonus and defense, I added a rank of Attack Focus (Melee) (which means he's just a tad clumsier with ranged attacks), and another point of defense, keeping him at an even keel for his primary attacks. [13-8-4+1+2 = +4]
I removed one level of Super-Strength to help pay for this, which does not change his heavy load because the growth added an effective +5 strength for carrying. This also reduces his Immovable/Unstoppable ranks (he's a bit more ponderous and unsteady on his feet until he gets used to this). [-2]
Added All-Out Attack [+1]
Added Knowledge (Martial Arts) 4 [+1]
Changed out Craft (Artistic) for Craft (Structural) since it seemed more apropos, and changed my Snare to have Requires Grapple and Transparent. [net 0 pp]
That leaves with with 2 pp. Looking ahead at potential opponents, I like the idea of him gaining some way to deal with Insubstantial opponents, since they'd be unaffected by his striking and grappling. Affects Insubstantial 2 on my Strength would fit the remaining 2 pp. Or, alternately, I could just get one rank (half damage) and pick up a Super-Strength AP (either Groundstrike or the Kiai attack I used on Shadow way back when). ^_^ Thoughts?
Further Edit: Added the Affects Insubstantial 1 on strength bonus and Improved Startle
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue May 04, 2010 8:39 am

Transparent on the Snare seems a little strange to me. It means that if Baki ties someone up, only the target can get the rope off. I understand the not giving cover part, but nobody being able to cut the rope just doesn't make sense to me. I'd leave the Snare the way it is.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 am

True. I thought about making it Constricting instead, but eh... as much as anything else, the Requires Grapple, it seemed to fit the descriptor for hojojutsu in that it generally involves grappling a target first and then maneuvering them into the loops of rope, although I guess the attack/reflex rolls more or less model that. ^_^ Eh, it's an ability I've yet to use other than that once on Merlyn after I'd already more or less incapacitated him.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 am

Tattooedman wrote:I tried to come up with a good villain that would be able to take over the Hand, though I have to admit that with the names of his previous clan he should just call his next one "Body Parts". :lol:

I certainly have a quip about that for Shinko once new chapter starts :)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am

Coyotzin wrote:I certainly have a quip about that for Shinko once new chapter starts

I thought so and I'm looking forward to that one ;}

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 am

Tsurugi
PL 10 154pp

Abilities: STR 18 (+4), DEX 18 (+4), CON 18 (+4), INT 12 (+1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 12 (+1)

Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+11), Bluff 4 (+5), Climb 4 (+8), Gather Information 5 (+6), Intimidate 9/13 (+10/+14), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5), Knowledge (martial arts) 4 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 7 (+8), Langauge (Japanese, Chinese, base: English), Notice 6 (+8), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (melee) 2, Attack Specialization (sword), Combat Reaction (Draw sword), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 2, Evasion, Evasive Retreat, Improved Block, Improved Critical (sword), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Last Stand, Luck, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Intimidate, Notice, Sense Motive), Startle, Takedown Attack, Weapon Break

Equipment: Katana, armored costume (+2 toughness), cellphone, 2 ep unspent

Powers: Flash Step (Innate), Seven Dragons Stance 7 (Enhanced Feats 13: Fearsome Presence 5, Improved Critical (sword), Improved Defense, Blind-Fight, Elusive Target, Improved Block, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (hearing), Seize Initiative,
Strike 10 (Line Area, AP: Autofire on katana damage), Enhanced Skill 1 (Intimidate) Flaws-Weapon Dependent (Sword)

Combat: Attack +9, +11 melee, +13 sword (DC 22 katana, 18-20 crit), Defense 23, 15 flat-footed, Initiative +8

Saves: Toughness +7, +6 flat-footed, Fortitude +7, Reflex +8, Will +6

Abilities 32+Skills 15+Feats 27+Powers 31+Combat 38+Saves 11=154

Tsurugi 2.0 is a lot cleaner, in my mind. Less Feats, because really, they're good for showing 'this character is skilled' but how often do they really get used? His Stance gets an upgrade (and will be referred to as focusing his personal chi through his katana.) He also gets a phone, cause he had the points for it.

His Intimidate rises to master level in the stance, I thought about using Overwhelming Presence or something, but didn't want into all the Chi options from Mecha and Manga. Instead, he can just Startle or use Fearsome Presence (think spirtual pressure from Bleach, he's more Byakuya than anything, he's not actively scary by being frightening, its just his power)

And he's going to be starting the next scene all embarrassed and ashamed at his lost. But in his mindset, that expresses itself as increased violence, and even more stoicism.
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am

Alright, everything looks good on the builds on my end. So I'm figuring everyone is ready to get into the next chapter of the story...hopefully.

So with that in mind time-wise it's a couple days (early evening more or less) after the fight at the warehouse with Hellhound and everyone. Tsurugi has had enough time to recover from his injuries (just barely if I remember his final condition correctly) and if anyone was wanting to gather their personal items from where they were and move them to Shang's place or not (their choice). So just cover anything that's been on your character's minds during that time and what they've been doing to fill the time of laying low.

-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 am

Arthur Eld wrote:And he's going to be starting the next scene all embarrassed and ashamed at his lost. But in his mindset, that expresses itself as increased violence, and even more stoic.

I feel bad for him. Hellhound gets in a lucky crit and Tsurugi comes off looking bad in an otherwise one-sided fight. I feel really sorry for the first guy who gets in his way in the next chapter.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 am

Actually, I liked that fight just cause it shows that a character doesn't have to be high PL to be tough. If someone two PLs lower than Tsurugi can beat him and take only one Bruise (granted he rolled well, but still), it helps justify my entire building philosophy, which is to have a rather low spread of builds. With the kind of characters I've been trying to build lately, that's really helpful.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 am

Shock wrote:I feel bad for him. Hellhound gets in a lucky crit and Tsurugi comes off looking bad in an otherwise one-sided fight. I feel really sorry for the first guy who gets in his way in the next chapter.

Arthur Eld wrote:Actually, I liked that fight just cause it shows that a character doesn't have to be high PL to be tough. If someone two PLs lower than Tsurugi can beat him and take only one Bruise (granted he rolled well, but still), it helps justify my entire building philosophy, which is to have a rather low spread of builds. With the kind of characters I've been trying to build lately, that's really helpful.

I agree with AE on this one, it's a point I've been trying to make to a few cohorts about how it's only a matter of dice rolls between characters at different levels fighting. Sometimes it only takes one good roll & one bad roll to make the difference as to who wins or loses.

-- Chiun

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 04, 2010 11:46 am

Alright, I have spent the last two points on one rank of Affects Insubstantial (for half effect) on his strength and Improved Startle in his feats. I figure that I can always stunt the Super-Strength feats should I need them. Most are too cartoonish. I kind of liked the idea of a perception range stun based on a stunning kiai, but the cost would be high and it struck me that that's essentially what his use of Startle lets him do, especially with the bonuses from his new size, so I went for Improved Startle, buying off the -5 Challenge cost for doing Intimidate as a move action.

I'll write a post a bit later today in-character, but basically, once back at the hotel, he sits back to review the battle. In the process, he starts thinking about what the others have been doing with their Ki and he starts trying to tap into it himself. He starts buy trying to concentrate it in his hands, figuring that he already punches things, but finds that it keeps surging all throughout his body. Finally, he gives in to that, letting it fill him, and then trying to concentrate it in his hands. He succeeds and opens his eyes to see that his hands are glowing slightly (I'm not sure if they'd technically be noticeable since adding the feat is a passive effect), and have become larger. As has the rest of him. Oops. ^_^

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Tattooedman wrote:I agree with AE on this one, it's a point I've been trying to make to a few cohorts about how it's only a matter of dice rolls between characters at different levels fighting. Sometimes it only takes one good roll & one bad roll to make the difference as to who wins or loses.

Quite so. And the difference between PL8 and PL10 is only 2 attack and 2 damage. All other things being equal it's only a 10% advantage per die roll. Not as big as 2 levels sounds.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Shock wrote:
Tattooedman wrote:I agree with AE on this one, it's a point I've been trying to make to a few cohorts about how it's only a matter of dice rolls between characters at different levels fighting. Sometimes it only takes one good roll & one bad roll to make the difference as to who wins or loses.

Quite so. And the difference between PL8 and PL10 is only 2 attack and 2 damage. All other things being equal it's only a 10% advantage per die roll. Not as big as 2 levels sounds.

That's the biggest problem my RL gaming group have in wrapping their heads around the difference between M&M and D&D. I've yet to convince them to play M&M, but I may yet convince them when DC Adventures comes out... they are serious superhero comic nuts.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Tue May 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Coyotzin wrote:That's the biggest problem my RL gaming group have in wrapping their heads around the difference between M&M and D&D. I've yet to convince them to play M&M, but I may yet convince them when DC Adventures comes out... they are serious superhero comic nuts.

Yeah, I had the same issues when I finally got my group to take a D&D break and introduced them to M&M. Course it still made my day to find out about the DC news today!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you haven't noticed I'm something of a comic book junkie... :wink:

-- Chiun

Return to “M&M Game Room”