NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #11: Grieve (IC)

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
Condition: in need of a shower
HP 1 LP 2

After the work of freeing trapped survivors and the bodies of the dead was finished, Kas let out a heavy sigh. He was proud of his teammates to be sure, but the day was not yet done...at least not for him.

"Ursa, Verve..." He said quietly though still sticking to codenames in case one of the film crews had a sensitive parabolic microphone. "...you've had an exhausting day. Why don't you go back to the school and get a shower, dinner and some sleep? I'll be along as soon as I give the press the face time I promised them."

After making certain they were okay, Kas drifted over to where the press were waiting patiently and landed. Smiling, he ran his hand through his hair and gathered his wits.

"Thank you all for being so understanding and giving us time to work. Now, I promised I'd speak to you all and answer the questions I'm able to, so...shall we begin?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 am

Fluxx
Michuru81 wrote:NVAE: HALL (Martin; NPCs: Elle)
"It may be important, but mozer and fazer did not want to burden you wiz ze truz. Zink about it, Martin: zey joined Laputa because zey wanted to build a better world for you. Zey sent you 'ere and kept you out of ze loop, unlike me. Why do you supposed zat is?

"Zey wanted better for you. Zey wanted you to be free of ze burden of zeir lives. Regardless of what you may believe, zey only ever wished for your 'appiness. You don't need to decide whezer to to continue zeir work or not: you just need to decide to live a 'appy life."
"Elle, I do agree zat Mozer and Fazer loved me and zought zey were doing ze best for me, but some of zeir work is impacting my life now in most important ways. Tatjana being a clone, for one, and 'aving been cloned multiple times if zese memories are to be believed. And a missing birzday?! O'w many times 'ave zey taken memories from me? or just redid me completely. It was in zeir power. Zese zings are important, Elle. Keeping zem from me was, and IS, wrong."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 am

The Blue Knight

It felt weird, just standing around waiting in his armor, the flames flickering about his body. Usually his patrols with Paladin involved moving around a lot more, which felt natural when he was covered in this stuff. He did what he usually did and played with his phone while he was waiting-it didn't seem like people of African descent were common in Austria, so the wizards must have been out of towners. Normally that might have meant tracking down airplane tickets, or looking for people who could smuggle others into a country. But with the two of them, they could have just summoned a giant eagle and flew into the city like Gandalf. That was annoying beyond.

"Its alright. Nice to have a whiff after today." He said, remaining on his feet. He was a little disappointed but not too surprised. The Vindicators had plenty on their plate and he wasn't so arrogant to think they'd just be waiting around to help him.

"Dunno, but I hope so." He replied, taking a small moment to collect his thoughts. This wasn't the easiest thing to say.

"Paladin, my partner has gone missing. I haven't been able to reach him, and we're not supposed to be out of contact. I looked for him myself, but the job is only half on. I was hoping the Vindicators could help me find him."
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #11: Grieve

Post by McGuffin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Ursa
[Otso Karell]
HP: 0 Cnd: Fine

As Kas moved to address the press, Otso could feel his heart thumping in his chest so loud he had trouble hearing the blind boy's words. He'd thought about his plan before but he'd hesitated last night, caught up in the flow of events. He stopped, smiling. Beatrice. She'd demanded all his attention. But she wasn't here now and Otso knew what he had to do, not matter if it was a longshot. He had to try, it was all he had. Steeling his resolve, he stepped forward, brushing past his classmate to put himself in front of the collective members of the media.

"You want a comment? I've got you a comment. I go by the codename Ursa and I am a student at the school on U.N. grounds here in Vienna. Yesterday I, along with some of my fellow students, aided in repelling the attack from the flying fortress that appeared over the city. I do not say this looking for praise, and neither was that the reason I acted the way I did. Like today, I simply saw people in danger and did what I was taught to do by my father. I helped others. That's all there is to it."

But that wasn't the real plan. The words were true but they were just the bait, to draw them in for what he really wanted to say. Otso's voice cracked as he pushed on. "Isä, jos kuulet tämän, minulle menee hyvin. Isoisä ja äiti lähettävät terveisiä, mutta toivovat että soittaisit useammin. Thank you, no further comment." The last words were clearly meant for the press as Otso turned around, ignoring any further requests as he started his long walk back to the school.

As he trudged along, head hanging low, Otso bit his lip and hoped beyond hope that his father would recieve the message. It was a gamble, a real Hail Mary Pass, but he'd run out of ideas a long time ago and he was getting desperate for something, anything.
"Dad, if you can hear this, I'm doing fine. Granddad and mom send their regards, but wish you'd call more often."
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 pm

NVAE (Lex; NPCs: Arnett)
"Uh... okay. Sorry it's been a really long, really rough day so I'm not really firing on all cylinders here." Lex scratched his head. "Did you just invite my family to visit you in England?"

Kirstie's father nodded. "I apologize. I know that my timing is truly terrible, but with Kirstie coming home for a day or two, I thought you might want to tag along. Like I said, I know your parents just got in..."

VIENNA (Kas and Otso; NPCs: Astrid)
As Otso moved past the dumbfounded reporters, something barred his path: a child--a boy no more than five--stood before him.

The boy looked up and shyly smiled. <<"Thank you for saving me,">> he said.

The boy's mother came forward and picked her son up. She forced a smile, nodded to the Finnish boy, and walked away. The boy's eyes remained on Otso.

All around him, bulbs flashed, taking photos of the exchange.

Astrid nudged Kas in the side. "Anything to add?" she whispered as the cameras fell on Otso's retreating shape.

NVAE: HALL (Martin; NPCs: Elle)
"Sometimes, we tell ze people we love little white lies. What 'arm is zere in not knowing? What good comes from knowing ze truz?"

NVAE: FISHER'S OFFICE (Blue Knight; NPCs: Fisher)
Doctor Fisher nodded. "There's a small group from the school going to London tomorrow. I'll mention this with the Vindicators; likely they'll want to accompany them.

"For now, I'll show you to the cafeteria. I imagine you could do with some food in your belly, a hot shower, and a soft bed? As soon as one of the Vindicators returns to campus, I'll send them on to you."

VIENNA (Jack; NPCs: Elfriede)
Jack returned to Elfriede.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 1 CND: Normal

"No, it's cool, I just wanted to make sure I heard that right," Lex shrugs, "Be embarrassing to invite them if that wasn't the case, ya know?"

He hesitates and rubs the back of his neck with an unpleasant face, "I think it's cool but my little brother... Well, apparently he blames me for everything that's happened and he's decided he's an extremely racist little sh-"

Lex hesitates looking for a different word and grabs one Kirstie had used once, "Git. Not sure I want to dump that on you. Some first impression, ya know?"

He pauses then rubs his hand through his hair as a thought hits him, "Huh... of course if he wants to get them to move to England he'd have to be nice wouldn't he? Once we make sure he knows who made the offer, I mean."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:23 pm

NVAE (Lex; NPCs: Arnett)
The man winced. "You don't mean to tell him what I do, do you?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Flu

The Eldest Curie looked up to meet his sister's eyes. "My girlfriend-former is a clone and right now it zeems my birzday is a fabrication leaving me wiz missing memories. Zese are a bit more zan 'leetle white lies', are zey not? Martin says, clearly annoyed and getting moreso as Elle's obstinance progresses.

"Am I going to 'ave to go to zis... Patriot Robotics myself looking for answers? Were ze Curies really a precursor or amniotic fluid or whatever for zis Project of Dr. Meinstein's was or was zat a 'little white lie' to keep me away from zere?"

"You know, I was going to see if you'd be okay while I went to London to sort zings out but it seems you'll be just fine - you can wrap yourself up in your secrets to keep warm." his spiteful words came out before he could stop them and he regretted as soon as they tore free from his lips, but it was too late to take them back.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm

The Blue Knight

He shook his head slowly. "Thank you. That sounds graate," It sounded bendegidig, really but he probably shouldn't. He could be back at home in about an hour, and his mom would be happy about that. She had still been shaken up about his fight with that Vesta-the burns had been horrid, she cried when she saw them. Without Paladin there...

He'd have died. As he would have countless times over by now. Even today, could he have bested the giant crocodile and the magic twins by himself? Maybe. Or maybe a giant snake would have pumped him full of poison. He had to face it-he couldn't hack this on his own.

"So again, thank you very much." His ma had always told him to accept a kind offer straight away, it'd be rude not to. Unless he was dealing with Chinese, she'd said. Cultural difference.

"Please, ma'am, lead the way." He said, moving to open the door for her, head and body still aflame.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex gives Mr. Arnett a bewildered look, "What?"

He shakes his head, "No. Hell no! What are you talking about? I wouldn't trust that little troll with Darth Vader's real identity, forget anything important."

"Jeez, no I meant you offered my Dad a job, ya know? Steven doesn't want to be here, at this school with the people like me, right? He wants to be away from this school over in England with the normal people. So he probably wouldn't piss off the guy who can find my Dad a job,"
Lex says then shrugs and adds, "I hope."

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Violet Lear
HP: 1

Somewhat suddenly Violet found herself with nothing to do. Which felt weird after all the excitement. She looked at Finn and Jack; the only two left with her. "So. That was weird. And that guy died." She shuddered. It was her first experience with sudden death. Only the fact that he had tried to kill them lessened the squickiness.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
Condition: four score and...
HP 1 LP 2

If Kas could've rolled his eyes at Astrid's sly suggestion, he would have, but Otso opened pandora's box and there was no closing it. At this point he had to give a full enough account of what happened, with enough names and specifics that no one would question those things that could not be revealed to the public.

"Ursa is correct,"Kas said loudly enough that everyone could hear. "he was among the taskforce that turned away the flying island. The island, called Laputa, drawing it name from a literary reference was unleashed as a counter-measure to the United States' aggression against Neo-Sapiens."

"You know and I know that threatening Austria to counter an American initiative is senseless, but these...let's call them Anti-Vindicators, for that is the role they chose...were simply terrorists and terrorists often take senseless actions. Unfortunately for they took hostages which forced the Vindicators to rely on us to rescue the victims as they confronted the enemy."

Gesturing in the direction Ursa had stalked off in, Kas shook his head in regret. "Ursa was injured. Several other students died. Killed by the terrorists. In the end we prevailed and one of our students, Impasse held the island aloft as Quintessence removed the threat of it plummeting to earth on top of Vienna."

"Pict, Backlash, Kiln and several of our more powerful students, Greystone, Current, Fluxx evacuated the abductees and defeated the terrorists in combat. Ursa and an independent operative called Candyman disabled the island's defenses and flight systems. Others were involved in aspects of the assault, but it's nearly impossible to thank everyone who deserves it. A U.N. Security agent was there and people on the ground, including the United Nations staff at the school deserves thanks for their support."

"More than anything...you deserve our thanks, because you supported our efforts after we finished. You welcomed us home and that made us determined that from now on we make our best efforts for you as best we can."

Turning to the young man and his mother. "Thank you, for saving us."

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]

Jack watched as the security team secured Joan and Luther then took them inside the school, his attention was more on Luther's body. In all honestly Jack hadn't meant for Luther to die but he just couldn't feel all that bad about causing the man's death - the mage was willing to injury a large amount of people and more than likely kill who knows how many more just to flush out their rogue spell caster without batting an eye. Combined with Joan's willingness to threaten Finn and Violet just so she and her brother could get away didn't help either.

But still, Jack remembered how he felt when his mother had died so he had a good idea how Joan was going to feel when she found out what happened to Luther. Add to the fact that she could squarely lay the blame for Luther's death on him made it a pretty sure thing in the American's mind that he'd be hearing from her again at some point in the future.

Violet wrote:"So. That was weird. And that guy died."
"Ready for the bad news?"

"You get used to it."

"Not the guy dying, that's a new bit really and I hadn't intended for that to happen. But his sister was more than willing to threaten you and Finn without a second thought, and more than likely he would have too. So I can't honestly say I feel too bad about it, but I'm a harsh bastard."

"Sorry you had to deal with this stuff on your first day here Violet, really, but I've got to leave you in Finn's capable hands while I go find my gal. I sent her back here when I first heard the noise the crocosaurus was making and promised her I'd get back to her as soon as I could."

The GM wrote:Jack returned to Elfriede.
She was sitting in the common area watching the news coverage of Kas, Otso and Astrid helping with the cleanup efforts. Jack wondered if she was questioning where he was, if he was alright or not as she didn't look to be worried.

"So I'm starting to think that our dates are cursed given our track record." He says with a tired sigh.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 am

NVAE: HALL (Martin; NPCs: Elle)
"You're wrong," Elle called after him. "Mozer and fazer cloned Tatjana... but your girlfriend? Ze girl upstairs at zis moment? She is not a clone..."

Without another word, Elle turned and walked away.

NVAE: FISHER'S OFFICE (Blue Knight; NPCs: Fisher)
Doctor Fisher led Blue Knight to the cafeteria.

NVAE: HALL (Lex; NPCs: Arnett)
"So, I should count you as being in?"

NVA (Violet; NPCs: Finn)
Finn blinked in surprise as Jack left him. "He has a girlfriend?" he asked. Suddenly, Finn couldn't stop smiling.

VIENNA (Kas and Otso; NPCs: Astrid)
<<"Impasse is... Viktor DeGallow, correct?">> asked one reporter. <<"And this Fluxx--he's the same Prefect Fluxx who threatened a young man weeks back with chemical agents whose usage is banned?">>

The other reporters--those who seemed to genuinely appreciate the service the Vindicators and the New Vindicators had provided--were silent as one of their number dredged up the events from a few weeks ago: when the media attacked Impasse and Fluxx, and Sir Newton publicly resigned as headmaster.

<<"Again, what proof do we have that the incidents from last night and today are not the work of someone inside of your school--either a fringe group gone rogue, or a splinter group seeking to create opportunities for you to improve your public image?">>

Before Kas could answer, Astrid pushed her way to the front. <<"I was molested,">> she admitted. <<"What proof do you have that you didn't do it?">>

When the reporter could say nothing, Astrid glared at him. <<"There's a reason it's not 'guilty until proven innocent'. Good night.">>

Taking Kas' hand in hers, Astrid moved to lead him away from the reporters.

VIENNA (Jack; NPCs: Elfriede)
"So, what happened?" she asked.

As Jack offered his account of what happened, Elfriede hung on his every word. "Wow," was all she could say when he finished.

"You know, I never... I envy you.--you and all your classmates. I mean, you guys... The things you can do that I can only dream of doing? But it's not just that. Today you saved people. I mean, there are people out there who wouldn't be alive right now if it weren't for you.

"That's..." She tucked her hair behind her ears as she grinned at the ground. "That's kind of amazing."

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Violet Lear

Violet shrugged. "How would I know? I just met him today. I'm just happy he caught us."