Toledo Knights: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Recruiting: Toledo Knights – One Shot

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:45 pm

With duplication active, isn't the Super-speed part of the array inactive?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Recruiting: Toledo Knights – One Shot

Post by FuzzyBoots » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:11 pm

flynnarrel wrote:With duplication active, isn't the Super-speed part of the array inactive?
*wry grin* That was the reason why I may have to switch it over to the Independent effect.

If I move the points in Continuous over, that's 8 ranks of Slow Fade which should make it 1 pp per month... with the turnover in duplicates in her backstory (she's not the most durable character, and when flatfooted, she loses about half of her defense/toughness), whe might not notice that duplicates are slowly fading in ability. ^_^ I could add Total Fade, but I'd still need to get some points in Slow Fade to account for the fact that they wouldn't be popping out of existence X rounds later.

... And I don't get those points for shifting down from Continous, because that's part of what the Limited pays for. Darn... I'll have to think this one over.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Trish/Jon Kinnes

Post by CelticREI » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:37 pm

*throws a hat into the ring*
Name: Trish/Jon Kinnes

--Abilities:--
(Total Points Needed: 35)

Strength 12, Dexterity 12, Constitution 12
Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 14

Attack 2, Defense 16(14 Flat-Footed), Toughness 1(2)

Fortitude 4, Reflex 5, Will 5

--Skills:--
(Total Points Needed: 22)
* = Skill Mastery in that Skill.

*Acrobatics: 5, *Bluff: 10(18), Concentration: 4, Diplomacy 2(10), Disguise 2(17), Drive: 4, Escape Artist: 4, Gather Information: 9, Handle Animal 2, Intimidate 2, Investigate: 4, KN-Current Events: 4, KN-Streetwise: 8, KN-Tactics: 4, Notice: 8, *PR-Dance: 12, PF-Stripper: 4 Search: 4, Sense Motive: 9, Stealth: 1, Survival: 4.

--Feats:--
(Total Points Needed: 18)
Ambidexterity, Attractive 2, Connected (using KN-Streetwise instead of Diplomacy), Diehard, Distract (Bluff), Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 1, Fascinate (Bluff), Fascinate (Perform), Prone Fighting, Quick Change 2, Redirect, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Bluff, Perform(Dance)), Taunt, Ultimate Effort (Perform(Dance))

--Equipment:--
Leather Jacket (+1 Toughness), Cell Phone, Handcuffs, Video Camera

--Powers: --
(Total Points Needed: 45)

Immunity 2 (Aging, Poison)
Regeneration 2 (Recovery Rate: Bruised[Recover 1/round], Recovery Rate: Injured[Recover 1/20 minutes])

Take the Health (Drain Constitution) 5 (Reversible)

Take the Soul (Mimic; All Powers version) 5 (Duration, Extra Subject, Limited[Only after successful Take the Health])

Current Mimic'd powers:
Blast 2 (Lightning) (Area: Line)
Open.

Take the Form (Morph) 3 (Only Humanoid) (Duration[Continuous], Metamorph)

Totals: 35+22+18+45=120

Complications:
Moral-Oral: Trish had a very... Interesting childhood, as such she doesn't have many problems with things that others might find repulsive.

--Physical Description--
Height: 5'4" (Originally)
Hair Color: Red (Originally)
Eye Color: Green (Originally)
Race: White (Originally)
Nationality: Irish-American (Originally)
Trish at work

Background:
(NOTE: This background has Adult Themes and Suggestive Text.)

Trish comes from a immigrant Irish family, having traveled from Cork, Ireland a few years before her birth and settled in Toledo, her mother Marylyn taking up to selling her cooking skills and her father Jonathan selling his strength and hard work in handyman, construction, anything that he could get. It was shortly after Trish was born that the issues with their landlord began...
The "landlord" (slum lord was more like it) had been watching as Marylyn's body progressed naturally to being fit to care for a child, most notably her hips and bust, and started innocently enough saying that she was a fine woman that any man would be lucky to have in their company. The next week it was about how she was looking better each day. Another week and it was how much he'd like to... Well ye can figure it out. Luckily he stopped after getting a nice reminder that Jonathan was a very strong man that had large blunt or sharp tools.
It was on a hot day in the summer, just a wee bit after Trish's first birthday, that the landlord started it up again this time pressing more into the matter. He promised Marylyn anything she wished for; money, cars, free rent, ye name it and all just for a night with him. Not being one to sell her body for any price, Marylyn told the landlord no and reminded him of the strong man and tools thing again, he wasn't detracted this time and showed her the new shiny gun he just bought...
Jonathan came home to a messy sight; Marylyn in the bathroom crying like she would start a lake with wee 1 year old Trish beside her crying equally as loud. He picked up a large wrench and turned... to see the landlord at the door pointing a gun at him.
Jonathan and Marylyn Kinnes were found in a crackhead apartment across town and filed under unknown homicide. Next of kin Trish Kinnes was missing and her face was on a milk carton for a few months.

"Uncle Jackie took real good care of Trish Trish, Didn't he? You will grow up all nice under my care, don't you worry..."

17 years later:

"Trish, come help Uncle Jackie calm his nerves from a long day at work... No You Have To Help Me! Don't make me get the... That'a girl... you know just what Uncle Jackie likes..."

Trish was in the middle of 'helping' Uncle Jackie when her powers first manifested fully, draining the life right out of him. She checked to make sure she wasn't dreaming... No he was gone... and went to the bathroom to clean up before deciding what to do with her... l.i.f.e... she stock stared into the bathroom mirror at Jackie looking back at her where she should have been...
After waking back up from her fainting she checked the mirror again and found herself... kinda... She was back to being Trish, but the small breakouts of ache she had wasn't there anymore and her hair was smooth and silky and her form was a bit slimmer and her bust and arse how did they get so...
It took her a few weeks to figure out how to fully control her abilities. It turns out she could alter her looks with just thinking about it and if she touched someone she could absorb a bit of them into herself, taking with it memories, skills, their appearance, and with one guy she even got the ability to shoot lightning from her hands...
Trish lived by the only way she knew how, she became a stripper for a up-class strip club called "The Paper Tiger" just off The Strip. She is on her way home from work, passing by the Maracena Club when...
Below is Trish's "other" form; Jon.
Jon
Jon in casual dress
--Abilities:--
(Total Points Needed: 35)

Strength 14, Dexterity 12, Constitution 14
Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10

Attack 2, Defense 16(14 Flat-Footed), Toughness 2(3)

Fortitude 4, Reflex 5, Will 5

--Skills:--
(Total Points Needed: 22)
* = Skill Mastery in that Skill.

*Acrobatics: 5, *Bluff: 12(20), Concentration: 4, Diplomacy 2(10), Disguise 2, Drive: 4, Escape Artist: 4, Gather Information: 10, Handle Animal 2, Intimidate 2, Investigate: 4, KN-Current Events: 4, KN-Streetwise: 8, KN-Tactics: 4, Notice: 8, *PR-Dance: 12 Search: 4, Sense Motive: 10, Stealth: 1, Survival: 4.

--Feats:--
(Total Points Needed: 13)
Ambidexterity, Connected (using KN-Streetwise instead of Diplomacy), Diehard, Distract (Bluff), Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 1, Prone Fighting, Quick Change 2, Redirect, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Bluff, Perform(Dance)), Taunt

--Equipment:--
Leather Jacket (+1 Toughness), Cell Phone, Handcuffs, Video Camera

--Powers: --
(Total Points Needed: 50)

Strike 4 (Haymaker) (Mighty)

Immunity 2 (Aging, Poison)
Regeneration 2 (Recovery Rate: Bruised[Recover 1/round], Recovery Rate: Injured[Recover 1/20 minutes])

Take the Health (Drain Constitution) 5 (Reversible)

Take the Soul (Mimic; All Powers version) 5 (Duration, Extra Subject, Limited[Only after successful Take the Health])

Current Mimic'd powers:
Blast 2 (Lightning) (Area: Line)
Open.

Take the Form (Morph) 3 (Only Humanoid) (Duration[Continuous], Metamorph)

Totals: 35+22+13+50=120
Quick rundown of changes: +2 Str, +2 Con, -4 Cha. -Attractive 2, -Fascinate (Bluff), -Fascinate (Perform), -Ultimate Effort (Dance), +Strike 4 (Mighty). -4 PF-Stripper, +1 Sense Motive, Gather Info, +2 Bluff.

I'd also like to know if she could start out with having a Mimic'd power, just something small like Blast 2 (Lightning) (Area: Line)

Edit: Also if anyone knows how to do the act of her Draining Con and then being able to Mimic (I'm looking for no roll, so if the Drain works the Mimic works) in a more elegant way, please tell! heh
Edit2: Minor edit because it seemed kinda like she actually saw Jackie staring at her in the mirror and not that she had shapeshifted into him.
Edit3: Just was told having Trish being under 18 and writing about adult themes is a no-no. Changed it so she is 18 at that time.
Edit4: And done with the changes that me and BlueCross talked about. -Shapeshifting, + Morph, Turned Mimic from All Traits to All Powers (-Limited, -Perception)
Edit5: Last Edit! (I think) I found pictures for both Trish and Jon ^_^
Edit6: Be right back once I resize them lol
Edit7: And resized. I *should* be done lol
Edit8: Thank ye sirzanek because I forgot to give Trish a way to be making money as well (though ye could assume the Dance skill really, but still) so -1 Sense Motive, Gather Info, -2 Bluff, +4 PF-Stripper.
Edit9: /me renames Trish into the character that gets too many edits. I put in the bonus she gets in Disguise from Morph. I can't believe I forgot it...
Last edited by CelticREI on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Recruiting: Toledo Knights – Closing Friday morning US time

Post by EPIC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 am

Added a little more to Guardian's backstory to place him at the scene

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Bluecross » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 am

Ok, been looking over the builds a bit, most applications are coming together well, which means that some good applications are going to miss out! :( I have 8 good applications already and are looking at stretching to 6 places. So for any who miss out, my thanks and appreciation for taking the time to apply, and please keep an eye on the game thread from time to time. It's the nature of PBP games for the odd player to drop out, and a place might come up if you're still interested.

Also, all going well with this one-shot, I plan to run a later (longer) game in this setting (or something similar to it). If that happens I will be re-recruiting, preference going to players and the top (unsuccessful) applicants from this game. Players needn't apply with the same characters or builds, however, although they are free to if they like.

So now is the time to put the finishing touches on, and update your application and build posts if needed. I intend to close applications in about 24 hours from now (basically tomorrow morning US time), and hopefully pm everyone to let you know the results not too long after that if I can. See you then!
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Post by sirzanek » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 am

Made a few tweaks to Shortcut. Now he is no longer the unholy love child of Harry Houdini and Elektra, but a more reasonable balance in the skill department. Bumped up his people skills a bit and gave him a way to actually earn a living.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Buzz has been updated to be a straight Speedster with the Duplication being in her past back in Monroeville. She is unfortunately a little skill-light, but I think she comes out as a fairly well-rounded character. ^_^ I also gave her attacks slightly silly names based on how someone steeped in pop culture might sit down and name them.

Aboleth11
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Aboleth11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Zap — PL 8
Name: John “Johnny” Goodman
Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: Light Pink
Hair Color: Blond
Height: 5’ 11”
Weight: 176 lbs

Abilities
STR: 18 (+4)
DEX: 18 (+4)
CON: 18 (+4)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills
Athletics 8 (+11)
Bluff 8 (+10/+14 with attractive)
Diplomacy 4 (+6/+10 with attractive)
Gather Information 4 (+6)

Feats
Accurate Attack
All-Out Attack
Attractive 1
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 4
Improved Critical 2 (Strike 10 Descriptors: Electricity; Extras: Aura; Feats: Dynamic, Selective)
Improved Initiative
Instant Up
Luck 1
Redirect
Seize Initiative

Powers
Immunity 5 (damage with the Electricity descriptor)
Strike 8 Descriptors: Electricity; Extras: Aura; Feats: Dynamic, Selective
DAP: Stun 8 Descriptors: Electricity; Feats: Split

Saves
Toughness: +8/+4 (without dodge bonus)
Fortitude: +7
Reflex: +10
Will: +3

Combat
Attack: +8
Defense: +8
Initiative: +8

Skills: 6
Feats: 15
Powers: 25
Saves: 12
Combat: 32
Total: 120

Backround
John Goodman was born and raised in Toledo. His parents worked in the factories all day, so Johnny spent most of the day with his grandmother until he started school. Johnny got good grades and boxed throughout high school. When he was 16, he touched an uninsulated power cord. Instead of being electrocuted, he found that a field of electrical energy had formed around his body. He began experimenting with his powers and found that he could summon the field at will. Johnny, who had wanted to be a superhero since he was a little kid, decided that once he graduated from high school, he would create a costumed alter ego. The following year, he found an apartment in the South Bay and became a freelance writer. He decided on Zap for his name and made a costume. Tonight was the first night he had gone on patrol. He had just stopped a mugging, when he heard screams coming from up the street…

Complications
Phobia (Spiders)
Secret Identity (John Goodman)
Last edited by Aboleth11 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:37 pm

At PL8 I think an Aura strike is limited to rank 8 as well. also, needs duration bought up to sustained.

Aboleth11
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Aboleth11 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm

flynnarrel wrote:At PL8 I think an Aura strike is limited to rank 8 as well. also, needs duration bought up to sustained.
It says in the core book that the power becomes sustained when you apply the Aura extra.
And I decided to remove the trade-off.

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Aboleth11 wrote:
It says in the core book that the power becomes sustained when you apply the Aura extra.
And I decided to remove the trade-off.
When making it with Hero Lab ye have to buy it up to Sustained. I made your D-Strike, DAP-Stun and it cost 36pp for it. Hope that helps ^_^
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Aura was fixed in the errata. The word "Sustained" was supposed to be in the power to let people know that they needed to add that first.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, A power is required to be Sustained before it can be made an aura, then you can alter the duration of the aura itself.

As for the limit to it's rank, it's based on the same equation for any other power. Accuracy + Damage = PL * 2

Since Aura damage is added to unarmed damage when you strike, you need to take your strength modifier into account for your Aura's strength, as well as your attack roll for unarmed attacks, since an aura is NOT an attack you make a roll for. You touch, you hit, therefor it's off your unarmed attack roll.

SO, based on what you've got there, the fact you don't have your strike sustained non-withstanding, your limit on the Aura's rank would be 4, since your strength modifier is 4.(4+4=8(Obviously) and your melee attack bonus is +8)

On the plus side, your unarmed attacks become +8 when your aura is on.

EDIT: A few things I might point out....this isn't 3e, so there is no athletics skill, and if there was, your math is wrong anyways (8+4=12, not 11), I'm sure you meant acrobatics. Also, nothing in your back story explains why his physical attributes are so high, so what you could do is lower them, or at least your strength a bit and up your aura strength if you wanted your aura to be stronger. Keep in mind on the benchmark scale, an attribute bonus of +4 is equivalent to olympic professional level for physical attributes, so by rights the guy would be an athlete off his base stats alone.

Looking at my character on page 4, his base strength before his powers amplify is, is only a 12 and he actually was an athlete.

Just a few observations and suggestions.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I thought unarmed attack is different from aura. They apply separately. I didn't think he had to limit it as you say, Epic.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:55 pm

flynnarrel wrote:I thought unarmed attack is different from aura. They apply separately. I didn't think he had to limit it as you say, Epic.
Fundamental rule of things though is it's the same as a linked effect. You cannot force two saves of the same type one a single attack. So if he makes an unarmed strike with his +4 bonus, then his aura kicks in and forces a second toughness save at +8, he's breaking that rule.

If he changed the Aura to a Stun aura, then he could certainly have it capped at 8 with no issues, or even just change the Save of the Strike Aura to Fort, then no problems. The only issue here is forcing two saves of the same type.

I guess I could have mentioned that. ^^;