A World At War - Recruitment Ends 9/19 [3e]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

A World At War - Recruitment Ends 9/19 [3e]

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 am

A World At War
Power Level: 7 Scale: Global
Setting: Custom Fantasy World Style: Grayscale
The ancient planet of Daeren is a world of legends - of gods and monsters, of heroes and villains - a world at war. For over a decade Rian Bhaltair, ruler of the northern lands of Cahal and the greatest swordsman to have ever lived, has swept across Daeren with a vile and despicable army. His goal is simple, to rule over all of Daeren as Overlord. Such a reign spells despair for the other nations, as the degradation of Cahal is well-known.
Many armies have stood before Cahal's might only to be scattered before the greater numbers of the Cahalian army. Now, when Rian Bhaltair is making preparations for his final campaign, and all hope seems lost in the land, a small group of heroes are brought together by a sole purpose - to unite the kingdoms of Daeren against the Cahal.

This is a magic-lite fantasy setting using the 3e rules. All submissions must include the following.

:arrow: A PL 7 build (following the rules below)

:arrow: A national origin (found below)

:arrow: A backstory detailing how the character has gained the attention of the Watchers (the band of mystics who bring the characters together at the opening scene).

Build Guidelines
All builds are PL 7 (105pp). Characters are allowed one magical device or a single magical power (can be a small array but must follow a theme). Magical artifacts follow the same limitation and can only possess a single magical power or small array following a theme. Characters do not require a magical device or magical power, however, the above is a maximum.

National Origin
There are four nations that have yet to be conquered by the armies of Cahal. I'm going to select four characters and the same nation may be represented multiple times.
The map would appear similar to the real Mediterranean Sea (called Larean Sea here), with Cahal commanding all of "Europe."

Amazons Image
On the south-western border of the Larean Sea, and also bordering the Palantean Ocean, rests the lush Amazon jungles. Few foreigners have set foot in the jungles and survived, and the tall trees and dense foliage have served as a natural defensive barrier in times of war. The Amazons are the most physically impressive and most formidable warriors in all of Daeren, yet they are fewer in number than any other.
The males and females of the amazons split centuries ago and inhabit different areas of the jungle. The Ptolema - female sect - operates in the west, living among rivers that lead to the Palantean Ocean. The Spartics - male sect - in the east, serve as the bastion of defense for the Amazon jungle against the outside world.
Inspiration: Greek Influence - The 300 Spartans, Bana-Migdal Amazons.

Mariners Image
Pushed from their homelands in the Hileal Isles of the Larean Sea by the Cahal, the Mariners have made a home for themselves on the island of Myrina deep into the Palantean Ocean. Driven by revenge and a lust to see their homes again, the Mariners have settled many islands, all swearing loyalty to Myrina, and have amassed a large navy rivaling that of Cahal's.
The Mariners are a seafaring people, skilled in the more aesthetic arts of warfare. They are masters of dual-wielding melee weaponry and have the only known handheld firearms in the world.
Inspiration: Pirates of the Caribbean, The Count of Monte Christo.

Nomads Image
The mysterious and private desert people of the south, the Nomads seem to know more about the natural world than any other nation, and are the only ones to have ever ventured to the southern ends of the great desert and returned. Their fast cavalry, masters of the saddle and deadly accurate bowmen armed with short bows, are undefeated in battle.
Although the Nomads are said to never rest in a particular place for long, it is said that the great monuments and ancient cities of the desert are their former homes. Why they left has lead to much speculation among scholars of the other nations. Ventures into the ancient cities by non-Nomadic tribesmen are rife with danger; tales of horror and magic follow the men who attempt the depths of such cities.
Inspiration: The Mummy series, Prince of Persia.

Nihon Image
Inhabiting the mountainous peaks to the east, the Nihon are nigh-untouchable in their high fortresses on the mountaintops of the Limavayani Mountains. Their cities are wonders of the world and delights to all who visit them. Such places are not without danger, however, as the Nihon are notorious schemers and never say what they mean. Their trade deals are said to have more loopholes than a fisher's net.
Warriorship is a time-honored tradition among the Nihon, and they treasure masters of the martial arts as they would the greatest scholars or magical legends. Everyone in the nation learn a martial style in addition to excellent scholarly training in mathematics, literature, art and philosophy.
Inspiration: Jet Li's movies (pick one), Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (video game).

As I said before, I'm not going to consider (or even look at) any submissions that don't meet all three requirements. I'm going to select four characters, can be from the different nations or not.
Last edited by DesertGhost on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman

Re: A World At War - Recruitment [3e]

Postby Dufresne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 am

Interesting! I have a couple questions about power options. First, are you setting a maximum ability rank for normals, like 5 or 7? Second, you mention allowing an Array, would also be open to a tight set of linked powers that function as a single thematic "power"? Such as, say, Enhanced Strength and Enhanced Stamina, or maybe some container like "Simian Physique", with some Enhanced Abilities and Movement powers together. Or maybe like a mastery of a certain martial art with Strength-based Damage and Speed or Leaping or what have you.

Again, just examples, but how would you feel about something like that?

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Is this going to be a campaign of giant battles after amassing armies to fight on our side? Or are we the people behind the scenes, running behind enemy lines to take out a leader while no one is looking? I guess, what is the general format?

Are you still looking for a co-gm in this, or is that just for something else?
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm

whiteprofit wrote:Is this going to be a campaign of giant battles after amassing armies to fight on our side? Or are we the people behind the scenes, running behind enemy lines to take out a leader while no one is looking? I guess, what is the general format?

It will start as the latter, characters running about behind the scenes doing things to gain the attention/favor of the nations, and as the game progresses large battles will take place that will show the characters as war heroes similar to what is seen in the Dynasty Warriors game.

whiteprofit wrote:Are you still looking for a co-gm in this, or is that just for something else?

I wasn't looking for a co-GM for this one, but if you're interested...

Dufresne wrote:Interesting! I have a couple questions about power options. First, are you setting a maximum ability rank for normals, like 5 or 7? Second, you mention allowing an Array, would also be open to a tight set of linked powers that function as a single thematic "power"? Such as, say, Enhanced Strength and Enhanced Stamina, or maybe some container like "Simian Physique", with some Enhanced Abilities and Movement powers together. Or maybe like a mastery of a certain martial art with Strength-based Damage and Speed or Leaping or what have you.

Again, just examples, but how would you feel about something like that?

Good question, and one that I expected.

Let it be known here that magical devices - artifacts - are the primary magical abilities that I was looking for out of the characters. There are low-level magics about, though, so characters who don't have such status symbols (usually given as a sign of leadership or found in ancient ruins) can have access to a specific power if it is suitable.

Max abilities will be set at 7. Given such a high ability max (3 ton lift for a huge Spartic Amazon) powers like Enhanced Abilities are not appropriate. Martial arts, also, is something that I've never liked to see demonstrated with powers (Skills, Advantages, and Descriptors are more appropriate).

Here are some example powers:

Amazonian Oracle - Precognition (Uncontrolled) with Enhanced Active Defenses/Advantages/Skills that would follow the precognitive descriptor.

Mariner Stormlord - Weather Control (Environment, Fog, Air Control etc). Lightning bolts and tornadoes would be power stunts. This would have possibly two or three alternate effects on the main effect.

Nomadic Firebrand - Pyrokinesis (Fire Control, Flame Blast). Very basic array.

Nihonjin Shinobi - Concealment (Blending), Darkness Control, Chi Mastery (Healing and Senses) etc. Whatever it is that you associate with a ninja.

Like I said, those are just examples of a personal power if the character does not possess an artifact.

Hope that clears things up.

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Looks very interesting. If you're willing to have someone still in the process of learning 3e, I might try to submit a Nomad with a magic ring that lets him disguise himself as others.

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm

kingk wrote:Looks very interesting. If you're willing to have someone still in the process of learning 3e, I might try to submit a Nomad with a magic ring that lets him disguise himself as others.

It's a new system, so I don't mind helping others learn it :wink:.

The concept sounds cool, but such a ring would be more appropriate for a Nihonjin, as they are surreptitious politicians similar in effect to the royal courts of Feudal Japan or Ancient China. A Nomad wouldn't really have much of a use for such a ring, seeing as to how they deal primarily with horses and people of their tribe (Nomads have many tribes).

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Well, my thought was that the ring would also offer some small measure of healing, or just retarded aging, and that it had been an artifact created by a wizard of some sort to hide from his enemies. I just like the Nomads, so I think I'll either consider a Nihonjin character with the ring, or a Nomad with a different power.

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:19 pm

kingk wrote:Well, my thought was that the ring would also offer some small measure of healing, or just retarded aging, and that it had been an artifact created by a wizard of some sort to hide from his enemies. I just like the Nomads, so I think I'll either consider a Nihonjin character with the ring, or a Nomad with a different power.

A magical ring is fine, just the power to morph his appearance would be a little odd for a Nomad, is all.

Keep in mind that artifacts follow the same rules as personal powers - a single ability or power (or small - 2 to 3 effects - array that follows a theme).

Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Dufresne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Okay, trying not to nitpick here, but how exactly are those ninja powers not representative of the martial art of Ninjutsu?

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Dufresne wrote:Okay, trying not to nitpick here, but how exactly are those ninja powers not representative of the martial art of Ninjutsu?

Representative of their battle tactics of stealth, sure, but not their martial arts (striking, grappling, weaponry, etc). Ninjutsu is more than a simple martial art.

Those were just examples. Think of Avatar: The Last Airbender if it helps. Each character had only one power (Element Control), but their martial arts were mundane fighting abilities. Ninja would be similar - one power (Darkness control, let's say), but their martial arts would be mundane, yet themed toward their particular method of combat.

Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Dufresne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:23 pm

That's cool, and I am a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'd hesitate to call any martial art "simple", but I get your meaning. I guess ninjas are kind of a special case, as they always seem to be. :roll:

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby ShatteredFaith » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 pm

The Mariners are a seafaring people, skilled in the more aesthetic arts of warfare. They are masters of dual-wielding melee weaponry and have the only known handheld firearms in the world.

Hand held firearms. Are we talking, you fire one shot and you have to spend 30 seconds reloading, or would you be more lax with the fire and reload thing? Am very interested in this and want to figure out what idea you had for "hand held firearms"

**EDIT** Also, are only humans in this setting, or are there "monstrous races"

Not asking to play one, but curious for backstory purposes
Last edited by ShatteredFaith on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm contemplating a Nomad bow-master. The bow would a Device and have Homing 3, Accurate 2 & Ricochet 2-4.

Too far-out?

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Bombaatu wrote:I'm contemplating a Nomad bow-master. The bow would a Device and have Homing 3, Accurate 2 & Ricochet 2-4.

Too far-out?

Seeking arrows? Sounds appropriate to me.

ShatteredFaith wrote:

Hand held firearms. Are we talking, you fire one shot and you have to spend 30 seconds reloading, or would you be more lax with the fire and reload thing? Am very interested in this and want to figure out what idea you had for "hand held firearms"

**EDIT** Also, are only humans in this setting, or are there "monstrous races"

Not asking to play one, but curious for backstory purposes

Humans only in this setting. There will be monstrous creatures, but most of them will be supernatural opponents, similar to Greek mythology.

As for the firearms, I hadn't considered what the reload time would be. I created the Mariners with a swashbuckling (Pirates of the Caribbean) feel. Fencing and shooting as per what is typically seen in those movies. This is an adventure game, though, so it wouldn't be totally realistic as to reload times, quite a bit faster in fact, but still not as fast as a bow.

I'd suggest any firearms would be +1-+2 ranks above bows (+4-+5 total rank), and have the Activation (Standard Action; -2 points) and the Inaccurate flaws attached (although the latter can be bought off with the character's skill in firearms). I'd say firing every other round, or faster if using a Hero Point for an additional action, is acceptable.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Captain Elizabeth "Lady" McLane - Mariner

National Origin - The honorable Lady McLane is a queen amongst pirates. Her mighty ship, the Darfunkle, sails faster and further than any other in the world and is thought to be possessed of a magical spirit. McLane is fair and just, but a sailor non-the-less. She sets her course to arrive early, stopping along the way to pick up treasures, profit and odd jobs. Her crew is a handsome group who hold no grudge to her for being a woman and can best most in a fight. More often than not, pirating ships end up pirated by the crew of the Darfunkle when trying to board and loot its decks.

Unbeknownst to many, Elizabeth McLane was once a rich estate owner. Her husband died of illness and she quickly sold everything and headed for the open water. Her fortune is stashed away, and she uses it to pay the crew, maintain the ship, and otherwise keep her life afloat when business is low.

The Watchers - McLane's honest shipping and fast sails are what originally caught the attention of the Watchers. Their eyes were drawn to her rapport and strong connections with people all over Daeren. McLane's prowess as a businesses woman and a leader to her people is unmatched by many, and the loyalty she demands just from her presence speaks of someone who could unite many under a single banner and cause.

Character Sheet -
Lady McLane - PL 7

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 5, Awareness 3, Presence 5

Advantages
Benefit, Wealth 2 (independently wealthy), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 9, Fascinate (Persuasion), Improved Critical 2 (Cutlass: Strength-based Strike 3), Improved Critical 2 (pistol: Blast 4), Improved Defense, Inspire 2, Inventor, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages 2, Leadership, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+6), Athletics 6 (+6), Close Combat (swords) 6 (+6), Expertise (Business) 1 (+6), Expertise (Navigation/Nautical) 2 (+6), Insight 3 (+6), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat (pistol) 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 4 (+6), Technology 2 (+7)

Powers
Seer's Map (Easily Removable)
. . Perfect Sketches: Senses 18 (Accurate: Sight, Acute: Sight, Analytical: Sight, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Extended: Sight 5 (x100k), Penetrates Concealment: Sight, Radius: Sight, Tracking: Sight 2 (full speed); Limited (Arial View on Map))

Equipment
Captain's Long Coat [Heavy Garb: Protection 2, +2 Toughness] (2ep)
Cutlass [Steel Blade: Strength-based Strike 3, DC 18, Advantages: Improved Critical 2] (5ep)
Pistol [pistol: Blast 4, DC 19, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Inaccurate (-2), Activation (move action)] (8ep)
The Darfunkle (30ep) * See Below

Offense
Initiative +0
Cutlass: Strength-based Strike 3, +6 (DC 18)
Grab, +0 (DC 15)
pistol: Blast 4, +4 (DC 19)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
Honor: Raised in honorable society, Elizabeth McLane acts as an upstanding woman of society as often as possible. She does not believe in backstabing or fighting without honor. She always does right by her customers and expects the same from those she works with and for.
Motivation: Adventure: McLane is overwhelmed by the idea of adventure. Her old life running an estate bored her. Her new life on the seas is full of adventure and excitement, often changing course for the chance to see something new, find a hidden treasure, or uncover a mystery.

Languages
Human Language, Native Island Language, Trade Language

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/0, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 5 + Advantages 26 + Skills 22 (43 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 105
Notes: Lady McLane's device is the Seer's Map, which shows her what ever she wants to see. This map allows her the most accurate and up-to-date navigation of trade routes and treacherous waters. It can show her land, water, cities, buildings, or anything really that she wants to see. She rolls it up, thinks of what she's looking for, and when it is opened again it reveals a detailed map of what she's traversing.

McLane is the proud owner of the Darfunkle. McLane speaks to the ship figurehead often, but it never replies verbally. At least not that anyone else can hear; and the rumors of it's magical properties are just that. Rumors. Though anyone who had spent any amount of time on the ship would try to confirm these stories with their experiences. The ship has an uncanny knack for staying out of trouble, avoiding danger, and even alerting the crew to important matters.
Example: Last evening, many had already gone to bed. We had spent a hard day in rain and wind and everyone was tired. A few sat at posts for rounds, but anchored in the bay, many slept. Suddenly, the ship rocked precariously, spilling men from their bunks. Curses and yelling thickened the air, blankets and feet tangled on the floor.

Anchored, 'what could have rocked us that much?' many argued, looking for something to be mad at. I got up to look, to see if the storm had followed us into the cove, but nothing. The water was calm. But it was in those steps back to bed that I saw it. A fire had started kindling from several dirty rags and a poorly placed lamp in the storage room. Had I not caught it, we would have lost our entire delivery, perhaps the whole ship would have caught fire. Luck? Who's to say?
-- Journal Entry of Clay Jemmings
Ship Hand, 18th of August

The Darfunkle itself would be sized with a small brig, storage space, and living quarters. It is also outfitted with several cannons on both sides. The ship is rumored to be made of a single tree, every knot and plank coming from the same original trunk. This provides a more sturdy build than most ships pieced together.

The Lady would also possess a single revolver at her side and a cutlass. the gun was a gift from another Captain when he tried to pirate the Darfunkle and kill the crew.
The Darfunkle - PL 7

Strength 8, Defense 0, Toughness 13, Size Huge

Features:
Danger Sense - Warn Crew 1, Second Chance (Crashing) 1

Powers
Cannons: Blast 7 (DC 22; Multiattack, Split (2 targets))
Speed: Speed 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)

Equipment
Cannons [Cannons: Blast 7, DC 22; Multiattack, Split (2 targets)]

Offense
Cannons: Blast 7, +2 (DC 22)

Power Points
Abilities 2 + Powers 6 + Advantages 0 + Features 2 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 8 + Equipment 22 (22 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 30
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Return to “M&M Game Room”