Freedom League Unlimited [OoC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Firebrand

Freedom League Unlimited [OoC]

Post by Karma » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:01 pm

The Freedom League needs you!
In-Character Thread

Over recent years, the Freedom League has been increasingly concerned with events outside of Freedom City. International and even interplanetary crises have captured most of their attention, and other heroes have risen to protect Freedom in their place.

They are very much aware of this. Captain Thunder announced today that the Freedom League will officially become a global protection organization. The core League members--himself, Lady Liberty, the Raven, Johnny Rocket, Siren, Daedalus, Dr. Metropolis, Star Knight, Bowman, and Pseudo--will be concerning themselves primarily with worldwide threats or those that occur in places where the League is not otherwise present. For the protection of those specific places on Earth most likely to need superheroic aid, they are currently in the process of contacting smaller teams all over the world (those that aren't formally associated with any government, anyway) to discuss their becoming a part of this larger organization to improve cooperation and their ability to call in (or serve as) back-up when needed.
They'll also be recruiting heroes to form local satellite teams for those locales that do not already have such a team. They're starting with a team stationed in the League's own hometown, Freedom City (although the team's jurisdiction may be fairly large in the beginning, since they're among the first).

Of course, you already knew much of this information before Captain Thunder's announcement, since you happen to be one of the heroes contacted to become a part of Freedom City's local Freedom League outpost.
You may have been around for decades, or you may have only donned your cape a month or two ago, but you've done something to impress at least one of the core League members enough that he or she tapped you for potential invitation. And you've made it past the selection process organized mostly by Daedalus and Raven.
You received your invitation a week ago, and you'll be heading to Freedom Hall tomorrow.
If all goes well, you'll be staying there after the current members of the League leave for Sydney.

It's a new era. For you, for Freedom City, and for the Freedom League.
Are you ready to defend Freedom?

Game Stuff:
I have an idea for a short introductory adventure, but after that I'm planning mostly on using published adventures converted to 3E rules. While the backstory exists largely to get the Freedom League out of your hair without killing them off, the potential to call them in if you need help (or just want a temporary team-up) might exist.

The PCs are people who would've been chosen by current members of the League. They should be good team players but, at least as a whole, capable of operating relatively autonomously. They should also not be too lethal or ruthless.
Their charter forbids recruiting minors. A hero does not actually have to be 18 Earth years of age if he/she/it is not human, but the League will use their best effort to determine if a potential member should be considered an adult. If the hero is from a race with a recognized age of legal adulthood and they have access to that information, they will use it. (It may also be relevant that the League does not require its members to divulge their identity if they do not wish to; while the current members mostly know each other's identities, they acknowledge that a new hero may have perfectly valid reasons for not willing to share. A hero close to the age of 18 and willing to lie to Captain Thunder may be able to make it onto the team--but he'll be very disappointed in you if he finds out.)
Each PC will need a brief description and background explaining how he or she (or it, I suppose) became a hero and what he or she did to be picked by the League. Most of the heroes should probably have a story in which he or she met up with one or more League members and did something impressive.
For a hero who has been operating steadily and reliably for years, that fact might be enough. For one who only started as a hero a month ago, personally impressing a League member with something spectacular (such as saving him or her from a villain) is probably required. Heroes who have been active for less than a month couldn't possibly be on the list; Captain Thunder finalized the list of nominees at that point for his team to pare down.

Heroes should have at least two Complications listed, including at least one Motivation. I don't mind longer lists, but just because you list a lot doesn't necessarily mean they'll come up in a way that actually Complicates things and earns a Hero Point.

Character Creation:
PL 10 with 150 PP
Maximum tradeoff on Attack/Effect, Dodge or Parry/Toughness, or Fort/Will is +/-5. The maximum total tradeoff on all three is +/-12.
Heroes should generally meet most of these caps unless they have some other abilities that make up for them.
I don't have a list of restricted powers, but if there is any power(s) that you feel you should ask about, it's probably a good idea.

Shared Equipment:
The League will provide the team with some equipment. Each hero will receive a commlink allowing him or her to communicate with teammates and headquarters.
The team will also have to share Freedom Hall as a headquarters, one Pegasus Space Plane (though they probably won't have much opportunity to use it), and a few Sky-Bikes to get around Freedom.
This equipment is free. If your hero has his or her own personal HQ (Raven has her separate Roost, after all) or vehicles, you'll have to pay for that. You don't have to pay for the hero having a separate residence (although heroes will be allowed to live in Freedom Hall, if they wish), only an actual HQ with something special about it.
(Note that I'll probably be extra-harsh about those Sky Bikes so as not to give away too much free benefit; it's probably a very bad idea to ride one into a fight. This isn't as true of the other equipment since it should benefit the heroes more equally.)

House Rules:
None at this point. It's a new system and I'd like to start out trying it as written.
I am considering using 2E Impervious with 3E Penetrating and flat penalties for Vulnerable and Defenseless, but I wouldn't implement any rules without discussing it first.
I do like to raise the PL a bit at a time, so heroes who've earned a few power points may be able to improve some PL-capped traits before others.

Any other questions, I'm always here*.

*May not actually be here at all times.

Current Team Roster:
The Silver Streak, played by Bombaatu
Shock, played by Shock
Thirteen, played by Unka Josh
Q, played by Levolor the Blind
Punchline, played by Storm Vermin
Tesseract, by Jameson
Nightingale, played by Brightest Day

Other Completed Builds:
DesertGhost / Threshold ~ Psychic Paragon
ClassDunce / Murmur ~ Sonic Voice
Bombaatu / Covenant ~ Priestly Costumed Adventurer
EPIC / Savior ~ Force Controller
wormmonda / Dead Girl ~ Undead Brawler
"-> The Clothier ~ Battlesuit
hero4hire / Paragon ~ The Perfect Man
Kaisius / Otakumon ~ Anime-Themed Art Animetor
heretic454 / String Music ~ Trick Arrow Archer
CelticREI / Trish Kinnes ~ Shapeshifter
"-> Jeska Matsu ~ Mutant Gravity and Space Controller
Shadowbourne / Xybrid ~ Insect Warrior
Levolor the Blind / Al ~ Intelligent Gorilla
Metool2 / Merry Maker ~ Heroic Jester
Arknight / Flux ~ Size Changer
jmberry / Sir Gawain ~ Sir Gawain
kirinke / Lady Gray ~ Electricity-Controlling Super-Hacker
Last edited by Karma on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Freedom League Unlimited [3E/DCA Recruiting]

Post by Bombaatu » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm

How long will you be recruiting and how many players?

Also - I have two concepts in mind:
  • Covenant: Catholic priest turned Grim Avenger O' The Night
  • The Silver Streak: Geriatric speedster coming out of retirement
If you're holding to one submission per (potential) player, which would you prefer to see?

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Posting tentative interest. I'd like to play either a sorceress or a paragon-like Supergirl-esque character, depending on what's cool.

Firebrand

Post by Karma » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Bombaatu wrote:How long will you be recruiting and how many players?
Excellent questions.
About a week, I think. Say until Wednesday, Sept. 29th. I'll try to select characters that afternoon/evening, so any characters complete by noon on that day will definitely be considered.
And 5-6.
Bombaatu wrote:If you're holding to one submission per (potential) player, which would you prefer to see?
Leaning slightly toward the latter, but it isn't a strong preference. Depends a bit on just what you mean by "grim"--while the League recognizes that things can happen in a superpowered fight, they wouldn't recruit someone who intentionally kills or is reckless about it, but I don't think that's what you mean anyway.
But it doesn't really bother me if you submit more than one, if you wish. Just realize that, of course, I wouldn't pick both.
Tyrant Lizard King wrote:I'd like to play either a sorceress or a paragon-like Supergirl-esque character, depending on what's cool.
Either would be.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Great. I might throw together a couple builds (I can use a modified version of my Supergirl build for the JLA game for my paragon) and see which seems better. I'm leaning toward the sorceress, however. I don't know the Green Ronin setting all that well, is magic a part of it? And thus magical creatures? I'm thinking an elven sorceress/druid sounds like fun, if it works?

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by DesertGhost » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Since TLK is leaning toward Sorceress, I'm going to go paragon.

Threshold can do anything that he believes himself capable of doing. He is as strong, tough, fast as he believes himself to be. He thinks he's capable of anything, but the reality is that he is a psionic character who doesn't know about his mental power's origins. His invulnerability, flight and strength are all manifestations of his telekinesis. His presence and the awe that he attracts from those who perceive him are manifestations of his telepathy. I'll include some commonly themed powers of the telekinetic descriptor to solidify the psionic flavor of his abilities (force pushing, or a mental blast); possibly heat vision or super-breath for manifestations of pyrokinesis and cryokinesis, respectively.

EDIT: His weakness would stem from his self-image. He believes he can do anything, but if he fails at something, or doubts himself, then he suffers from a Weaken effect to all of his powers. Since his powers are dependent on willpower, they will likewise have a limit to being of a rank equal to his Will resistance; if that is drained, his powers drain with it.

No background yet, but how does that sound as the beginnings of a concept?
Last edited by DesertGhost on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheJoshie
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by TheJoshie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm thinking Battlesuit, myself. We'll see once I think on it.

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by DesertGhost » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 pm

As a background, Threshold will be recently graduated from Claremont Academy with exemplary remarks from Summers. He has met with the entire Freedom League on multiple occasions as he has been favored for selection into the Freedom League after college - which he currently attends in Freedom City.

Sound good? I'll clean it up and definitely expand upon it once I get into the nitty-gritty of the build.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Posting interest. I've just got so many ideas and not enough games to play them in. lol, and Freedom City is always good.

To answer TLK, yes, Magic exists. Adrian Eldrich is known as Earth's Master Mage, and there are villains like Lady Tarot who use magic as well.

I'm not fully sure what I'd like to run yet, but I'll see what interests me of the things I've been wanting to try.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks, EPIC, so I'll go that route. After coming to the modern world of man, she saw the heroism performed by the League and decided to join their efforts while she stayed in the mortal world. It was something new, anyway, and when you're a few centuries old, you can get bored.

Unka Josh
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Unka Josh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:40 am

How about Michael Everywhere?

He's a teleporting martial artist-- but his teleporting is so reflexive, on such a hair-trigger, that he's continually flickering around different places, seeming to be in several places at once.

This would be a no-Duplication Duplication build-- no Summoning base powers, but Quickness, Selective Area/Multiattack damage, and so on.

wormmonda
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by wormmonda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 am

I wanna play Elyon the Mathemagician. :p

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 am

Unka Josh wrote:How about Michael Everywhere?

He's a teleporting martial artist-- but his teleporting is so reflexive, on such a hair-trigger, that he's continually flickering around different places, seeming to be in several places at once.

This would be a no-Duplication Duplication build-- no Summoning base powers, but Quickness, Selective Area/Multiattack damage, and so on.
I've heard a lot of people talk about the theory of such a character. It would be awesome to see it put into practice.

Unka Josh
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Unka Josh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 am

Hey, when I designed this character for 2E, he had No-Conceal Concealment-- Mirror Images, which gave attackers penalties to hit him if they were relying on sight, but didn't actually hide him. Could I do that in this game?

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:19 am

Easy. Concealment with the Partial Flaw would work, depending on how much of a penalty you want to inflict. The Concealment effect by default provides total concealment, which levies a -5 penalty to attack rolls. The attacker has to know or guess the right direction to even attack in, anyway. So you'd have sight-based Concealment. With Partial, it provides only partial concealment (natch), which gives a -2 penalty to attack rolls. You can then apply a Flaw that makes it so the effect doesn't actually hide you; this should easily qualify for a Limited -1 Flaw.

Although it's not called out, I always figured concealment penalized perception rolls to detect you using whatever senses the concealment targets. That one would be up to Karma.

But yeah, the base power of providing penalties to hit you is easy as pie. The rest is all descriptors.

In fact, there are other ways you can do this, too. I'll find the link to my "Temporary Trade-Offs" topic, but basically, you could even buy this as Enhanced Dodge and Parry (sustained, probably) that puts you over the cap, in addition to taking a penalty to Toughness -- he's harder to hit, but is more likely to phase into an attack or be vulnerable when he does get tagged, thus accounting for the lower Toughness. There are already Flaws in the book to deal with this exact thing, and from what I understand from that topic, temporary trades aren't at all problematic. Your guy picks up a big shield, say, and goes over in Toughness, but loses maneuverability and thus Dodge. That's just one generic example, but it's possible.

So it depends on what you want. The Concealment route is the easiest, but by no means the only route you must take.