The Guardsmen SILVER TEAM OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

The Guardsmen SILVER TEAM OOC

Post by heretic454 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 pm

The Guardsmen Silver Team:
Class Dunce: Johnny Liang: Master Martial Artist
CelticREI - Allure Emotion Controller
EPIC: Epic - Paragon
ValiantHeart: Premiere Alien Powerhouse
Millenium: Bullet - Speedster
glacier - Lucrecia
The Gold Team is here:

So this is all extremely tentative right now for several reasons, but I wanted to ask if there was any interest at all before spending more time thinking it than I have already. Several of the games I'm in have petered out rather unexpectedly, and because of that this seems like a good time to throw my hat in as a GM. That being said if I do this I do want to tell a story collaboratively and that means that I might need a fairly dedicated player base - not some huge commitment mind you, but averaging a post every 1.5 days would be ideal.

Basic Storyline

Paladin, the world's most powerful hero and altruistic role model has died. It was not how anyone predicted it would happen - if anyone truly predicted that it COULD happen. It wasn't during an alien invasion, or fighting his arch-enemy Hazard, or protecting the world from cosmic entities. One day his fiance, found him dead in his modest apartment, murdered by a weapon of the only type that could. No one knows who did it, and absolutely no one is claiming responsibility, the latter of which is something of a surprise.

This game will focus on the aftermath and the global effect of Paladin's death in the coming weeks, months and years. You are the best the world has to offer - the first line of defense against alien invasion, rogue threats, disasters and ancient evils. The world is going to constantly compare you to the fallen hero, and old villains will want to test you to see if you can stop them where Paladin once did. Will you emerge a shining beacon for the world to follow? Or will you fail and stumble.

The world is watching.

The world is waiting.

Guidlines

What am I interested in? Characters that would go well in a Modern Age setting. If I had to rate this game as a movie it would be PG-13 with sometimes an R, although it would be a light R rating. In terms of tone think Batman Beyond (TV show), Superman/Batman (Public Enemies, Supergirl) Batman Hush, Iron Man (Demon in a Bottle, Extremis), X-men (80's early 90's), Justice League cartoon show. If your character could fit into any of those settings then you'd fit in perfectly in this game. Think serious and mature with a sense of humor and wonder and you'll get it about right.

Backstory wise I would want only some way that the Paladin touched their lives either directly or indirectly. The story will be based in New York City but will span the globe. I want to create a collaborative world so feel free to have fun with the backstory but don't get too crazy. No blowing up South America for instance. Or even a major city.

PL 12
210 pts

You're the world's new heavy hitters and I want the builds to show that. Hence the more than 15 pp/PL. I think PL 12 is perfect - I'm looking for a JLA (sans big 3) or Avengers style team and that seems to accomodate.

Impervious works like it does in 2e, penetrating works like it does in 3e. Precognition and Postcognition are allowed, but in majorly flawed ways (uncontrolled, only smell pre/postcognition etc.) Summoning is mostly disallowed. Write a good enough back story that makes it necessary that you use those mechanics to model the powers and I might allow it.

One thing that I wanted to mention that's kind of a pet peeve of mine is benchmarks when it comes to Abilities and Skills

0 is average. 7 is supposed to be around peak human. I know the book tells you that means that peak humans can lift something like 2 tons with a 7 in Str. I'm okay with that. But save for Str these benchmarks are sometimes forgotten. I know you're all superheroic, but unless your characters concept is "Best Martial Artist in the ______" I would prefer not to see a Fighting Stat higher than, say, 3 or 4. Absolutely buy up your combat values in other ways, but it always bugs me.

---------------

I am accepting 4 - 6 characters, and there's no deadline yet, but I'd like to get started relatively soonish - like before Thanksgiving - the 25th for those of you who aren't American.

If you do submit a build please find a way to format the build for ease of reading. I don't care how it's formatted, but it should be easy to follow and easy to decipher.

Backgrounds/Builds applied:
Unka Josh:Keary Warlowe - Erlkoenig
Class Dunce: Johnny Liang: Master Martial Artist
EPIC: Epic - Paragon
golani: Falcon - Cybernetic Super Soldier
ValiantHeart: Premiere Alien Powerhouse
Teafo: Issac Citrinitas Light Controller
Millenium: Bullet - Speedster
Shimizu - Shikigami - A young man of Paper
Lost Scholar - Reach
glacier - Lucrecia
CelticREI - Allure Emotion Controller

Important World Setting Tidbits:
1) Look above you!
2) Paladin
3) Preliminary History of the Guardsmen
Last edited by heretic454 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Unka Josh
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Changing of the Guard (3E) - Interest and Recruitment

Post by Unka Josh » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:22 pm

This sounds interesting.

What's established about the setting? Aliens? Magic?

Is there anything that we should know about Paladin, or do we have freedom to create backstory for him to tie our characters to him?

Will our characters need capacities like rapid travel to various environments, or would this be wasted as team transport will be provided?

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:01 am

Team transport will be provided in the same way that the JLA has a Javelin and the FF have those planes they fly around in. This should not stop anyone from taking a personal travel power.

All backgrounds are acceptable from magic to mutant to technology. We're not doing the X-men thing where people with powers are to be feared because meh, it gets boring quickly. If you want to make an island where your culture hates and fears you, go ahead. We'll visit there, but that's not the overarching theme of the world. In general, if you put it into your backstory I'll incorporate it into the world.

As for your questions about Paladin (and tomorrow Hazard), well, I'm glad you asked!!!!!!

Here's Paladin. it's also an example of what I call good formatting. in other words, I can read it.

Abilities
Strength 18, Stamina 18, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 3, Awareness 5, Presence 4

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 10, Equipment 6, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover)

Skills
Insight 9 (+14), Investigation 5 (+8), Perception 6 (+11), Persuasion 9 (+13), Ranged Combat (Throwing) 9 (+13)

Powers
Immunity: Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) - 11 pp

Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 10 - 10 pp

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! - 35 pp
. . Flight: Flight 13 (Speed: 16000 miles/hour, 30 miles/round)
. . . . Speed: Speed 13 (Alternate; Speed: 16000 miles/hour, 30 miles/round)
. . Quickness: Quickness 8 (Perform routine tasks in -8 time ranks)

Strength Effect - 2 pp
. . Ground Pound: Burst Area Affliction 18 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Prone, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 28; Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere); Limited (Paladin and Affected must be on the ground))
. . Radiation Vision: Blast 10 (Alternate; DC 25; Accurate 5 (+10); Unreliable (5 uses))

Super Senses: Senses 6 (Infravision, Microscopic Vision 3 (molecule-size), Ultra-hearing, Ultravision) - 6 pp

Equipment - 6 pp
Orbiting Satellite - The Lookout

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +14 (DC 33)
Ground Pound: Burst Area Affliction 18 (DC Fort 28)
Radiation Vision: Blast 10, +14 (DC 25)
Throw, +13 (DC 33)
Unarmed, +14 (DC 33)

Complications
Motivation: Acceptance: Adam escaped the lab while still a young boy, and while he shares much in common with the human race, he still knows that at a basic level he is very different. While he would never wish not to have these powers, his primary motivation for keeping his secret identity is acceptance and not protection.
Motivation: Doing Good: Paladin hopes in vain to be able to solve all the world's problems. He has a good heart, and the ability to move the world, almost literally, and always feels that he must help as best he can.
Relationship - Julia Tribune: Julia is his fiance, and one of the most senior political operatives in NYC. She is frequently a target.
Weakness: Around Impervium, his Impervious Toughness does not apply and his toughness is effectively 10. All of his other powers are reduced by 5 ranks.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 13, Fortitude 18, Toughness 18, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 120 + Powers 64 + Advantages 21 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 244

Background wrote:What fell at Roswell wasn't a spaceship. It was from space though - it was a meteor made out of an unknown metal that government scientists dubbed "Impervium". They funded Area 51 to deal primarily with researching the metal's strange properties, focusing on military applications.

During the government's upheaval during the 1970's, and the fact that the project wasn't yeilding tangible results, they scrapped the project and farmed it out to private industry. It was KLA Industries that first gained the contract and they began testing the metal themselves, retracing the government's footsteps. Dr. Kaplan was the lead on it, and he found the metal's true properties. When exposed to a certain wavelength of in the UV spectrum, it gave off a strange radiation. This radiation changed Dr. Kaplan, giving him abilities beyond those of normal men. He was able to control atomic structures. Keeping these new found powers to himself, he set up an insidious test - he exposed a pregnant woman to the radiation. The woman died only minutes after exposure but her child, even though it was only 6 months after conception, was born strong.

Kaplan set up the project and kept it from the leaders of KLA. He kept the child to himself and hoped to raise him in secret. By the time the child was 4, he was utterly uncontrollable by Kaplan, and in an effort to get rid of the child, who he had named Adam - the child escaped, and Kaplan's abilities were revealed along with his horrific experiments.

Adam made his way to the Nevada desert where he was eventually found by a woman named Nora Wellaby. She took him in and raised him as her own; she saw he had abilities and taught him to hide them. She raised him right, taught him to do good. And taught him how to be a hero.

By the time he was 18 he decided to move to NYC and try to make it there. He had already decided he wanted to be somthing special. He took on the name of Paladin and became the world's greatest hero.

There he also met Julia Tribune, a young political operative who began to tell the mayor to accept and make a city wide Icon out of Paladin. It was against what the corrupt police department was telling him, and the mayor took her advice over theirs seeing an opportunity. He won reelection on Paladin's coat tails. Adam took a job with the campaign and then the mayor's office, and they began dating shortly afterwards. She did not know he was Paladin. SHe has since found out after becoming engaged to be married with him.
Last edited by heretic454 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unka Josh
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Unka Josh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:18 am

I'm thinking in terms of a former villain-- a young man descended from Unseelie Sidhe, who can open the gates into their world and call minions through. The power corrupted him and lead him to attack humanity, but Paladin not only defeated him, but convinced him that the power he had would be better used for good.

(I'm planning on a no-Summoning Summoner build-- Indirect attacks and numerous other tricks that simulate extra creatures without actually having the problem of actual Summoning.)

Does that work?

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:54 am

I'm interested if you'll have me. I know that I was at the helm of one of the games that you were in that just petered out. In the character sheet you made mention to the Paladin's orbital Satellite, I think I want to do something with that. So dibs on the Lookout and he's going to be a Paragon with a few extra bits thrown in, I need to sort out the specifics.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:47 am

ClassDunce wrote:I'm interested if you'll have me. I know that I was at the helm of one of the games that you were in that just petered out. In the character sheet you made mention to the Paladin's orbital Satellite, I think I want to do something with that. So dibs on the Lookout and he's going to be a Paragon with a few extra bits thrown in, I need to sort out the specifics.
It's totally cool for you to pick up the Lookout. As I said it is a collaborative story, so anything you write in your character sheet, assuming you're accepted into the game will be cannon. So you can do anything up until crashing the Lookout, or making Paladin do villainous things up there :P. Everything else is up to you!
Unka Josh wrote:I'm thinking in terms of a former villain-- a young man descended from Unseelie Sidhe, who can open the gates into their world and call minions through. The power corrupted him and lead him to attack humanity, but Paladin not only defeated him, but convinced him that the power he had would be better used for good.

(I'm planning on a no-Summoning Summoner build-- Indirect attacks and numerous other tricks that simulate extra creatures without actually having the problem of actual Summoning.)

Does that work?
That works fine, but be careful just how villainous you make him when he was a villain. The guy has to be redeemable in a believable way. Other than that, have at it!

"Be a beacon?"
Builds
My Blog (movie/television Reviews and Creative Writing)

Shadowbourne
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Shadowbourne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 am

I am interested...I could always upgrade Xybrid to PL12...I also have an inkling of a Batman type called Nevermore. What do you think? Which would be better?

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 am

Alright the Robot/Paragon living on the Lookout didn't quite work out, the build was solid and background made sense but it doesn't feel like a character that I would really enjoy playing (Even with the addiction to popular Culture). So a Paragon is open for someone else who wants to work on it, I'm switching gears and currently working on a Super Powered Martial Artist along the lines of Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons just more low key.

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 am

Sounds good to me CD.
Shadowbourne wrote:I am interested...I could always upgrade Xybrid to PL12...I also have an inkling of a Batman type called Nevermore. What do you think? Which would be better?
Off the top of my head I would say pick what you would like to play more. But a Batman figure with a name like Nevermore intrigues me I have to say.

golani
Bystander
Bystander

Post by golani » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 am

I would be interested in playing...I have a sort of multi-function cybernetic character named falcon I would have to convert a bit from 2e (was in the process of doing that already), that I could bring in...

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 am

Heretic's running a game? I'm in! :D

I'll meander around my inspirations to see what kind of concept I can dig up and get back to you shortly.

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50 am

golani wrote:I would be interested in playing...I have a sort of multi-function cybernetic character named falcon I would have to convert a bit from 2e (was in the process of doing that already), that I could bring in...
Sounds great!
EPIC wrote:Heretic's running a game? I'm in! :D

I'll meander around my inspirations to see what kind of concept I can dig up and get back to you shortly.
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:32 pm

First Draft and subject to Revision wrote:Image

All humans are in essence one divine being and their spirits are constantly craving that oneness whether they really know it or not. That’s the true secret to the power of the Liang school of Martial Arts; the true masters draw their power and strength from the oneness of everyone around them. They’re not the hermit monks hiding in the mountains gaining strength through mystery, absolutely not. They gain their strength from the connections between all people, they dip their fingers into the essence of that connection and they can do things that most men or women can only dream of.

Johnny Liang is the current Master of the Liang School of Martial Arts in New York City. His Father, Louie Liang, was the former master and a friend and ally to the Paladin. Johnny grew up in his Father’s Dojo, learning from his father side by side with the hundreds of people who would enroll in the Liang School. People from all walks of life would just walk in from the street yearning to train under the world famous Louie Liang. By the age of fourteen Johnny was running his own classes within the Dojo, training those who were knew to the arts while his father trained the more senior students. Through teaching Johnny increased his familiarity with the essence of the one spirit. He became closer to others and through this his understanding of the true power of the Liang school was greatened.

Louie Liang died in a private Challenge Duel between himself and Kualo, the master of the Five Beasts School. Johnny’s father was in his late sixties fighting a much younger Kualo (late thirties) but it was a fair duel and no one could contest that. Liang School began to leak students as Johnny himself at just 23 years of age took over as the new Master of the Liang School. Johnny has been master of the school for roughly four years now and the school has found some stability, he even shared some spotlight when he assisted the Paladin in a fight against the mythical Brass Army of Dorian Grey, gaining a little press along with it and placing the Liang school back in the spotlight.

The death of the Paladin has forced Johnny to play the part of the hero more and more, he was shocked by the death of someone who he believed would always be there. His father had died but he knew that someday that would happen. He never believed that his other hero, the Paladin, would ever fall. He’s been stretching himself thing, his responsibility to the school constantly pulling him in one direction while his responsibility to honoring the memory and heroics of his father and the Paladin pulling him more out into the world of Superheroes.
Johnny Liang - PL 12

Strength 5, Stamina 8, Agility 8, Dexterity 3, Fighting 14, Intellect 2, Awareness 6, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Critical 2 (Chi Strikes: Strength-based Damage 5), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Prone Fighting, Set-up, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics), Takedown 2, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 10 (+18), Athletics 4 (+9), Expertise (Current Events) 5 (+7), Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+8), Expertise (Philosophy) 5 (+7), Insight 8 (+14), Intimidation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+12), Persuasion 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 2 (+10)

Powers

Chi Strikes: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 25, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Penetrating 5, Affects Insubstantial (half ranks))
  • Fists of Fury: Burst Area Strength-based Damage 6 (Alternate; DC 26; Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere))
    Paralyzing Palm: Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, DC 20)
Connection to the One: Healing 10
  • Be Calm: Burst Area Affliction 12 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, DC 22; Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere), Subtle 2 (undetectable), Insidious; Limited Degree)
Tapping into the One:
  • Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
    Movement: Movement 3 (Safe Fall, Wall-crawling 2 (full speed))
    Protection: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
    Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Complications
Connection to the One: Johnny needs to spend a significant amount of time around other people in order to strengthen his connection to the essence from which he draws his power. If he ever spends time completely alone, around no one else at all he'll slowly begin to lose his access to all of his powers. He'll retain his martial arts knowledge but just won't be able to draw on the One for anything else.

Honor thy Master/Father: Johnny's father, Louie, was a card carrying member of the Guardsmen and upon his death The Paladin passed that same membership onto Johnny. Johnny's Father was the Master of the Liang School of Martial Arts, teacher to hundreds of students and one of the most honored men in the Martial Arts world and upon his Death Johnny became the Master of the Liang School of Martial Arts. All the prestige and the responsibilities that Louie Liang spent a life time procuring were passed to Johnny in a single day. He struggles to meet those challenges and sometimes he might try a little to hard to live up to his fathers legend.

Languages
Chinese (Mandarin), English

Defense
Dodge 14, Parry 14, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 14

Power Points
Abilities 96 + Powers 48 + Advantages 21 + Skills 29 (58 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 210

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!
Last edited by ClassDunce on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zavulon
Bystander
Bystander

Post by zavulon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 pm

i wouldn't mind tossing my hat into the ring if I can. Looking at either a super inventor/time traveler or I might update Giovanni Fortuna; gambler, master of luck, and all around great guy. Lol. Anyway I'll post in the next few days. Take care all.

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 pm

ClassDunce wrote:
First Draft and subject to Revision wrote: All humans are in essence one divine being and their spirits are constantly craving that oneness whether they really know it or not. That’s the true secret to the power of the Liang school of Martial Arts; the true masters draw their power and strength from the oneness of everyone around them. They’re not the hermit monks hiding in the mountains gaining strength through mystery, absolutely not. They gain their strength from the connections between all people, they dip their fingers into the essence of that connection and they can do things that most men or women can only dream of.
.... [truncated for length]
The death of the Paladin has forced Johnny to play the part of the hero more and more, he was shocked by the death of someone who he believed would always be there. His father had died but he knew that someday that would happen. He never believed that his other hero, the Paladin, would ever fall. He’s been stretching himself thing, his responsibility to the school constantly pulling him in one direction while his responsibility to honoring the memory and heroics of his father and the Paladin pulling him more out into the world of Superheroes.
I'm going to revise this later today and hopefully I'll have a character sheet to go with it. I'm having some trouble spending the last 39 points lol.

Great background, love the little touches - the Brass Army of Dorien Gray for instance. I was going to post some more information about the history and where we precisely start the game and this is as good a place as any to do it.

So we'll be starting on the actual day of Paladin's death and probably move fairly quickly down a week's timeline to the funeral and what not. So everyone should think about what they'll do and how they'll feel about his death, but don't jump TOO far ahead in that timeline, much of it will be RP'd.

Some quick history (and everything CD wrote was absolutely fine). When Paladin burst onto the scene he began to headline a team called "The Guardsmen" (That name is subject to change since I don't particularly like it). The two primary players were himself and a PL X Technopath named Alan "Network" Ross. (he's PL X because he's a plot device) The Guardsmen attracted several high profile players, but as time went on it became a revolving door of heroes. Paladin and Network, the latter of whom was not a fighting member, he instead handled assignments, became the only permanent members. As such more and more responsibility for the world's protection fell on Paladin's broad shoulders. By the time he dies, he's the only member of the Guardsmen that anyone really knows.

All the members on the team have either been Guardsmen in the past, or are signed up as reserve Guardsmen. I hope that helps everyone with their character concepts. As I said, I'm trying to be as loose as possible to allow all concepts to apply, but this is the set history, and you should know that.

zavulon wrote:i wouldn't mind tossing my hat into the ring if I can. Looking at either a super inventor/time traveler or I might update Giovanni Fortuna; gambler, master of luck, and all around great guy. Lol. Anyway I'll post in the next few days. Take care all.
Sounds great!