World Moved On (OOC) [Full]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Re: World Moved On: 3e Multiverse Adventure; Now Recruiting

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 am

I'll post more thoughts on my Melnibonean sorcerer concept in the next few days.

Project Icarus
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Project Icarus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 am

Here's the updated build. I'm actually surprised at how little I found to change. :) I decided to lower Owen's Stealth and Perception by one rank each to add a second level of Improved Initiative and changed his background slightly.

Owen Armistead
Height/Weight: 6'/180 lbs.
Hair/Eye Color: Brown
PL7/117pp (2 unused)

Abilities: (48pp)
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 4
Dexterity 6
Fighting 4
Intellect 1
Awareness 4
Presence 0

Advantages: (19pp)
All-out Attack, Diehard, Equipment 5, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Pistols), Improved Initiative 3, Language: High Speech, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged Cover & Concealment), Quick Draw, Ultimate Effort (Fortitude)

Skills: (26 pp)
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 4 (+8), Close Combat (Knife) 5 (+9), Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise (History) 2 (+3), Expertise (Wilderness Lore) 2 (+3), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 7 (+11), Persuasion 3 (+3), Ranged Combat (Pistols) 4 (+10), Stealth 3 (+7), Technology 2 (+3), Treatment 2 (+2)

Powers: (7pp)
Khef – 7pp
Mental Burst Area Communication 2 (30 feet radius sphere; Flaws: Unreliable: Roll, Limited: Ka-Tet only)
Enhanced Trait 2 (Advantages: Leadership, Teamwork; Flaw: Limited Ka-tet only)

Equipment:
Knife, Leather Jacket, Multi-tool, Gunslinger's Pistols (Blast 4; Extras: Multiattack, Penetrating 4, Ricochet 3) [0 ep unspent]

Offense:
Initiative: +12
Sandalwood Pistols +10 (DC 19)
Grab +4 (DC 17)
Knife +9 (DC 18)
Throw +6 (DC 17)
Unarmed +6 (DC 17)

Defense: 15 pp
Dodge 10, Parry 9, Fortitude 5, Toughness 3 (4 w/ Jacket), Will 6

Complications:
Exiled: Owen failed his trial and was 'sent west.'
Motivation - Responsibility (Way of the Eld): With his new status as a gunslinger, Owen does his best to live up to his heritage.
Wanderlust: Owen is always eager to see new places, and staying in the same place for more than a few weeks really grates on him.

Languages:
High Speech, Common

Owen is one of the many gunslingers who, unlike Roland Deschain, failed their trials and were sent west. He spent the years following the failed trial in exile. He began wandering, in search of something that he could not quite place.

Owen is a fairly large, well built man with wide shoulders and a broad chest. The world has moved on, and his lean life during his travels has reduced his once bull-like strength, but he has also toughened up somewhat.

He is a rather fun-loving, jovial fellow, unless the topics of gunslingers, Gilead or his own failed trial come up. Despite this jovial spirit, he is not very good with people, usually coming across as either annoyingly optimistic, dour or holier-than-thou, depending on his mood.

He loves to see new lands, and it is in part this wanderlust that led him to jump the gun on initiating his trial. He was tired of being cooped up. One notable time that he stayed in the same place for more than a couple of weeks was when he had a chance encounter with the Manni that led to him staying with them for several weeks (afterward, Owen couldn't pin down just how long it was), during which time he had opportunities to read some of their texts and, as something about them appeals to him, he likes to quote them from time to time.
Last edited by Project Icarus on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the helpful comments, I'll get to brewing soon and will be sure to coordinate with Eld.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Given my new school schedule, I've decided I don't actually want to add to my gaming obligations after all. I suspect that I'd either drop it, or be removed for inactivity.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 am

Lord Fell wrote:Given my new school schedule, I've decided I don't actually want to add to my gaming obligations after all. I suspect that I'd either drop it, or be removed for inactivity.

Ok, thanks for the heads up on that.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 am

I'm been a little backed up due to the beginning of the school quarter crunch. Now that I've dealt with that mess, I'll finally be able to look over those builds mechanically. Expect feedback in the morning if you've given me a build.

Keep submitting those applications...

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Kommando wrote:
Master Sergeant Bron Kalkulus

Sergeant Kalkulus was an engineer in Granbretans Order of the Wolf. He focused more on the science end of Granbretanian Science-Sorcery. This means he was not able to create devices which incorporated magic, but he did well enough to repair and maintain them.

For the most part, Kalkulus role was noncombative, though he was still quite formidable on the battlefeild. Generally though his role was to make sure equipment such as Flame Lances, Ornithopters, Seige Engines and the like were maintained and kept in working order.

He looks rather imposing in his armor, his helmet the snarling visage of a wolf. The armor itself is almost black, with a flowing green cloak. Like most Granbretanians, Kalkulus almost never removes his helmet. Years of training have taught him to live inside the suit, which he only removes to bathe or to perform maintenance.

Kalkulus is friendly enough. Though he is rather tech-minded (what one would call a geek), and tries to incorporate his hobbies into conversation. For the most part though, he is helpful and organized. There’s no doubting that he came from a military background, and even in the most desolate place, he tries to maintain a spit and polish image. His mind is sharp and quick, and he’s always trying to think of solutions to problems, even before he encounters them. Others can find him annoying at times, but when he’s working on something you barely hear a peep from him.

Kalkulus is pragmatic and down to earth. He never cared much for the religious aspect of Granbretan, and for the most part steered clear of Sorcery, except when maintaining devices and artifacts. Whatever task he is set to, he will try to do his best.

When it comes to fighting, Kalkulus is a soldier. He keeps a cool head, and like everything else he does, he focuses on getting the job done. Of course, he can sometimes be creative about it.

Ok, I finally had a chance to look this over. Mechanically, I notice a few things:

1. He has 46 points worth of abilities, not 44. The total bonuses that he has are 23 and they cost 2 each.

2. His points in defenses cost only 8 pp, not 10 pp.

3. His flame lance looks under-priced by 2 pp. The last part of it has ranged damage 3 (6 pp) linked to ranged affects objects weaken Toughness (9 pp). With the easily removable flaw, the whole device should cost 10 pp.

Due to those miscalculations, the character is 2 pp over the maximum. The background and character concept works fine, so please just find a way to shave off those points.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm

McGuffin wrote:Thanks for the helpful comments, I'll get to brewing soon and will be sure to coordinate with Eld.

I look forward to it.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Shock wrote:I don't have a proper background yet but this is my first run at a build. He's a ship captain from Tarkesh that was taken by Melniboneans and used as a slave gladiator. He managed to survive after the sacking of Imrryr and escaped the island.

Jhondak - 105 points - PL 7

The concept works, though I would prefer if Jhondak didn't escape the island after the sacking of Imrryr. It would be better if he actually died during the sacking, which is what made him end up in Mid-World. The process of death is one of the ways of crossing between the worlds. I won't be insistent on that point but it's one option.

Mechanically, I notice a few things:

1. Improved Critical (Archaic weapons) is too broad of a category. You have to select a single weapon, even if it is archaic.

2. He has a Fighting ability score of 5 and 4 ranks of Close Combat, so his total attack bonus in close combat is +9. That sets a limit on rank 5 for any close damage effects. You may want to apply the drawback of Inaccurate to your Weaken and Affliction powers to make them +7 attack, 7 ranks of damage. Doing so will save you 1 pp.

3. Conceptually, I'd need a justification for Penetrating on his paired weapons attack. I can see how it would be useful, but I don't see it as very appropriate conceptually in a somewhat realistic campaign.

Kommando
Champion
Champion

Postby Kommando » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 am

RedBstrd wrote:3. His flame lance looks under-priced by 2 pp. The last part of it has ranged damage 3 (6 pp) linked to ranged affects objects weaken Toughness (9 pp). With the easily removable flaw, the whole device should cost 10 pp.

The third effect should be amended to Affects Only Objects, which would bring the cost of the Cutting Torch power down to 12 points. Page 137 states that Easily Removable deducts 2 points per 5 points of the final cost (after applying extras and flaws). The Blast Power is 12 points, Alternative Effect: Wide Beam is 1 point, Alternative Effect: Cutting Torch is 1 point, and the Precise Extra is 1 point. So the total cost is 15 points. Easily Removable gives -6, which works out to 9 points. I know that seems weird, but an Easily Removable Device built on 15 points (final cost 9) ends up costing the same as a 13 point device (final cost 9) and 1 point less than a 14 point device (final cost 10). You can check the numbers if you like, the calculation is an inherent flaw in the way the Easily Removable extra works. If you consider that to be an exploit, then I can drop Precise and Cutting Torch and the cost should still be 9 points total.

I'll go over the other numbers tomorrow and fix any discrepancies.
There are at least 1,500 active volcanoes that we know about...and at least one that we don't.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 am

RedBstrd wrote:The concept works, though I would prefer if Jhondak didn't escape the island after the sacking of Imrryr. It would be better if he actually died during the sacking, which is what made him end up in Mid-World. The process of death is one of the ways of crossing between the worlds. I won't be insistent on that point but it's one option.

Dead it is. That does make things simpler.

RedBstrd wrote:1. Improved Critical (Archaic weapons) is too broad of a category. You have to select a single weapon, even if it is archaic.

How about Improved Critical(Paired weapons)? So it works with just that attack, no matter what weapons he's holding.

RedBstrd wrote:2. He has a Fighting ability score of 5 and 4 ranks of Close Combat, so his total attack bonus in close combat is +9. That sets a limit on rank 5 for any close damage effects. You may want to apply the drawback of Inaccurate to your Weaken and Affliction powers to make them +7 attack, 7 ranks of damage. Doing so will save you 1 pp.

Done.

RedBstrd wrote:3. Conceptually, I'd need a justification for Penetrating on his paired weapons attack. I can see how it would be useful, but I don't see it as very appropriate conceptually in a somewhat realistic campaign.

How about if I swap the Mace for a Spear and I add a rank of Reach instead?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 am

Kommando wrote:
RedBstrd wrote:3. His flame lance looks under-priced by 2 pp. The last part of it has ranged damage 3 (6 pp) linked to ranged affects objects weaken Toughness (9 pp). With the easily removable flaw, the whole device should cost 10 pp.

The third effect should be amended to Affects Only Objects, which would bring the cost of the Cutting Torch power down to 12 points. Page 137 states that Easily Removable deducts 2 points per 5 points of the final cost (after applying extras and flaws). The Blast Power is 12 points, Alternative Effect: Wide Beam is 1 point, Alternative Effect: Cutting Torch is 1 point, and the Precise Extra is 1 point. So the total cost is 15 points. Easily Removable gives -6, which works out to 9 points. I know that seems weird, but an Easily Removable Device built on 15 points (final cost 9) ends up costing the same as a 13 point device (final cost 9) and 1 point less than a 14 point device (final cost 10). You can check the numbers if you like, the calculation is an inherent flaw in the way the Easily Removable extra works. If you consider that to be an exploit, then I can drop Precise and Cutting Torch and the cost should still be 9 points total.

I'll go over the other numbers tomorrow and fix any discrepancies.

If it's Affects Objects Only, then the math should work.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 am

Shock wrote:How about Improved Critical(Paired weapons)? So it works with just that attack, no matter what weapons he's holding.

How about if I swap the Mace for a Spear and I add a rank of Reach instead?

I'm comfortable having it be for that attack, so he has Improved Critical for whatever weapons he uses with that option.

Adding a rank of Reach would be a perfect solution. I just want a level of realism for some facets of the game. If there's a tank, for instance, I wouldn't want a sword to ignore the armor. Penetrating should probably be limited to heavy duty firearms, runeblades, and a few other conceptually appropriate weapons. Not a lot will have impervious toughness, so my conceptual framework shouldn't be a mechanical limitation for the players.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 am

Project Icarus wrote:
Owen Armistead

Most of this build checks out. I noticed a few mechanical errors:

1. He's spent 104/105 pp. I can see 48 abilities, 7 powers, 17 advantages, 18 skills, and 14 defenses. You have 1 pp remaining.

2. His Athletics should be 1 (+3). His Equipment should be rank 4.

For his equipment, his guns cannot have sandlewood grips. As a failed gunslinger, he would never have been given the weapons of a true gunslinger. He could have the guns of an apprentice (lead guns) if he somehow smuggled them out or have somehow come across guns after being sent into exile, but they wouldn't have those grips. The difference is merely cosmetic (they'll have the same stats) and an issue of prestige: the guns show off his status. If you want him to carry the weapons of a true gunslinger, we'll have to discuss how he could have come across them.

Project Icarus
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Project Icarus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:09 am

RedBstrd wrote:
Project Icarus wrote:
Owen Armistead

Most of this build checks out. I noticed a few mechanical errors:

1. He's spent 104/105 pp. I can see 48 abilities, 7 powers, 17 advantages, 18 skills, and 14 defenses. You have 1 pp remaining.

2. His Athletics should be 1 (+3). His Equipment should be rank 4.

For his equipment, his guns cannot have sandlewood grips. As a failed gunslinger, he would never have been given the weapons of a true gunslinger. He could have the guns of an apprentice (lead guns) if he somehow smuggled them out or have somehow come across guns after being sent into exile, but they wouldn't have those grips. The difference is merely cosmetic (they'll have the same stats) and an issue of prestige: the guns show off his status. If you want him to carry the weapons of a true gunslinger, we'll have to discuss how he could have come across them.

Oh yeah, hadn't thought about the sandalwood grips part. I'm thinking he probably smuggled his apprentice guns out or came across guns during his exile, but the former solution is the simple one, and that is often the best, so I'll run with him having smuggled out his lead apprentice guns for now.

re: 1. Yep, I forgot to add some to his defenses to bring him up to 105pp. I think I'm actually going to reduce his Parry by one to reflect his greater skill at range and add one each to his Fortitude and Will. That should do the trick.

2. Yeah, you're right. I'll make the changes.

Return to “M&M Game Room”