(On Hold) 3e "The Organization"

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

(On Hold) 3e "The Organization"

Post by CelticREI » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:09 am

The game is Canceled, for now, I'm going to keep working on the story and wiki and I'll try recruiting again in a couple of months.

Teaser (Note: It takes ye to a Wikispaces account, which I will not guarantee is PG-13 or below. There -is- references to somethings that could be rated R, though nothing graphic.)

Game style would be Gray Scale, with inspirations from things such as Men In Black (the movies/cartoon), Stargate (more the movie than the show, but parts of the show too) and Sliders (old tv show).

Characters would be a type of soldier called "Agents" for a semi-government organization simply called "The Organization" (caps and all, aye). Much like MIB, they are "the best of the best of the best". Each Agent is given a codename after one of the NATO Phonetic Alphabet characters Link if ye don't know them. (We are using the NATO Phonetic on the left side; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc etc).

The purpose of The Organization is to travel to different dimensions (with the 'base dimension' being our Earth (Real Life Earth with just a few differences)) contact life that lives there and eliminate any "Demons" that may be there.
Turns out Demons and Angels -do- exist, just not as the host for a God and Devil, they are different forms of life just like a Human is. The same about many other 'fantasy' races; Elves, Dwarves, Yeti, there are 15 races ye will be able to choose from.
Race Page (kinda basic at the moment, just to get a feel of the different abilities the races will have and some basic info on them.)
Here is a Time Line of events in the world.

I would be starting the game with 4-6 players, PL8 with 150pp (Like I said, best of the best of the best) in addition to the 10pp for the racial abilities.

No Character sheets in this thread. you will PM them to me for a chance to be in it.
After a mission or two I will be opening this up to have up to 26 players (one for every letter of the NATO Phonetic alphabet) and it would be a sort of 'Guild Game' that would be played here on the ATT boards and also have some missions on chat programs such as IRC or maybe even Skype.

An explanation of "Guild Game" as a few have wondered what it is:
A Guild Game is a game with more players than a standard mission will have (such as a game that has 26 total players but each mission only has 5-6 in it). Each mission will be posted on the wiki or the boards (not sure which I'll use yet) and will state if it is a Board mission, IRC mission or a Skype mission. It will state the date and time it will start and how long I expect it to last (more important for IRC and Skype, but board missions will have an expected time as well).
Any player that can make the date and time and be there for the whole mission (not disappearing in the middle of it) will 'sign up' for the mission with it mainly being a first come, first served style with the exception that 'lower level' (those with fewer pp totals) have priority over 'higher levels' (those with greater pp totals) that way folks will kind of stay around the same 'level'
Each player to complete the mission will gain rewards and pp based on how the mission went, more rewards and pp for those missions that went very well and completed successfully down to no rewards and only 1pp for if the mission went poorly and failed. This means that no matter what as long as ye stick around for the whole mission ye will gain 1pp per mission.

When ye say "Stick Around" what do ye mean?
When I say "stick around" for a mission, in Skype and IRC it is much easier to tell, if the player is gone for 1/4 the time of the session (as they will normally be 4 hours, that is 1 hour or more) they didn't 'stick around'. I know things come up, I hold my players to the same standards I hold myself and I expect the same kind of courtesy I give ye ^_^. Of course things like ye needing to go to the bathroom and such are ok, just let us know what ye plan to do if the turn comes around to ye and ye are still in the loo ;). I'm talking about dropping off and not coming back, or coming back hours later when the game is winding down without a reason.
For a Board mission 'sticking around' means ye check up on the board once a day. If in combat a full day has passed where it is your turn and you haven't posted then ye haven't 'stuck around', if a day or two has passed where people are talking to your character or ye were supposed to do something then ye haven't 'stuck around'. And when/if emergencies pop up let me know about them. If I didn't know that your sis just died or your dog got caught speeding down a one-way street and ye need to play in a poker tournament to get bail then I'll assume ye just abandoned the mission. Let me know via PM or posting in the OOC thread please.
Anyone who has watched my other game (When Realities Collide) can get a feel for the type of rules I'm talking about.

And what does this "Stick Around" stuff have to do with me?
As having folks drop ye is not fun for players and annoying as all hell for me...
The game will have a 3 Strikes and ye are Out policy. Each time ye are in a mission and don't stick around is 1 strike. On the third one ye will be leaving the game. If ye don't think ye can stay around for the mission then don't sign up for it.
It also is going to have a 3 month policy. If ye haven't signed up for a single mission in the last 3 months then I'm gonna PM ye to ask what is going on and if this game is the right one for ye.

House Rules
Each race will have 10pp worth of Racial Abilities (which ye don't pay for, it is given to ye 'for free') to make them different from each other. These Racial Abilities will not be open to adding points to by the player, but they will grow as PL does, and what is better They can break PL limits (Such as Dwarves have a +1 to Strength, Limited to only for Melee Damage. Ye can make a Dwarf with say 3 Strength, A Strength-based Damage 5 Attack, that has +8 to hit [So it'd be 8 and 8, 'at caps' for a PL8 game] and the +1 to Strength racial ability would make it 9 Damage ranks, +8 to hit as long as it was a 'melee' [as in close range] attack.)

Thus far the interest/submissions are:

Player - Concept - Sheet PM'ed?
Shadow13 - Still Debating - None Yet
Shock - Elf Squad Leader and one-man armory - Mostly done
Aspen - some combo of Underworld and jedi ;) - None Yet
ShatteredFaith - Human "Bad-arse Normal" Samurai/sword-master - Aye
Lost_Scholar - Human Wind-Controlling fighter - Aye
tsc - Angel combat Medic - Aye
furikuri - "paladin" of the elements - None Yet
Nareik123 - Demon Seductress life-force drainer - None Yet
Foomy - Still Debating - None Yet
zeone3000 - Martial Artist? - None Yet
Storm Vermin - Battlesuit - None Yet

Names that have already been requested: (While this doesn't mean it is off limits, it would mean someone would need to change their name should both wanting the same name be chosen)
Echo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor

This Post has been edited to be easier to read I hope and will get more info as folks ask me about it.
Last edited by CelticREI on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:44 am, edited 16 times in total.
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Re: (Interest Check) 3e "The Organization"

Post by Shadow13 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Sounds intersting. I will try to come up with something.

So what PL an what PP are we looking at? I could redo my supernatural hunter charecter.
I have a Feral hunter.
I have a Weapon based hunter (Soul Sword)
I also have a Hellfire based hunter (Ghost Rider themed)

But I would be intersted in making a build an background for your game.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Shadow13 wrote:Sounds intersting. I will try to come up with something.

So what PL an what PP are we looking at? I could redo my supernatural hunter charecter.
I have a Feral hunter.
I have a Weapon based hunter (Soul Sword)
I also have a Hellfire based hunter (Ghost Rider themed)

But I would be intersted in making a build an background for your game.
It is going to be PL8 with 150pp (160 if ye count the 10pp I am giving for free for racial abilities ye will find on the wiki)

The Organization looks for people who are top in a field, so many of those would work. I have someone I speak to via IM that is looking into being a master Swordsman though, and as the first 4-6 will have a decent amount of niche-protection ye might want to pick one of the ones that isn't the Soul Sword one if the game does get to recruiting. (If we do get to the "up to 26 players" than niche-protection is kinda out the window, because with that many folks it's hard to not step on toes plus only 4-6 characters are going to be in each session, which means having multiple in each niche helps make sure each mission has a balanced party)

Big things to remember when thinking up characters is first and foremost this game is set in a war. It is a "Shadow-war" (as in the public doesn't know about it, much like Men In Black and Stargate) but it is still a war. Think about what role your character would fit. Are they front line, rip into the enemy so my team doesn't have to? Perhaps a field medic? Scout? Sniper? And this travels to the different races and such easily as well. An Elven Hunter or a Manaborn combat mage could be a Sniper just as easily as a Human with a sniper rifle.
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Shadow13 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Cool NP. The soul sword is more of a variable weapon that can turn into a range or melee weapon. Kinda like a multi purpose weapon that can alter itself to kill whatever creature the hunter was fighting at the time.

It is a vague concept that I am working on, but more less these are based on charecters I have played in other games so I know the background just have to transfer over the ablities, skills an powers to this game.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I'll post interest, though I'm not sure what I'll come up with.

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Awesome.
I'll remind folks that ye won't be posting character sheets here, even when it does become a recruiting thread. Ye will be PM'ing them to me. Feel free to talk about concept and race and powers, but no sheets.
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

Aspen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Aspen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:11 pm

I'd be interested in someone similar to Selene from Underworld.

Vampire-"like" (read: enhanced attributes, etc) powers and all. I figure her role would be versatile/close-combat fighter.

Would that be possible in this setting?

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 am

I could see her being a test on enhancing Humans from Alpha ("Messing with genes made three hybrid races, why not try to improve our base one!" type thing) though the allergy to sunlight (don't mind if she doesn't -like- it, but no pain from it), crosses, garlic (Both not Underworld things, I know, but still putting it out there), or feeding off blood would have to go. ^_^
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

Aspen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Aspen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 am

CelticREI wrote:I could see her being a test on enhancing Humans from Alpha ("Messing with genes made three hybrid races, why not try to improve our base one!" type thing) though the allergy to sunlight (don't mind if she doesn't -like- it, but no pain from it), crosses, garlic (Both not Underworld things, I know, but still putting it out there), or feeding off blood would have to go. ^_^
That's fine, I was more concerned with her overall capacity.

Well, there's my concept then. Are you ready for submissions to be PM'd yet or are you still testing the interest for the game?

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:43 am

Still testing interest. While a few folks have said they are interested, by the post count in this thread it is only 3 (shadow, shock and ye) and I'd like to get at least 5 people before it turns into an official recruitment thread
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by ShatteredFaith » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:47 am

I express my interest. :D

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 am

Which makes 4. (Good to see ye made it SF ^_^)

Also a note because someone asked me about it; the IRC thing won't be for this first group (way to hard to get 4-6 out of 4-6 people on at the same time) it would only open up if we went to the 'up to 26' phase, because even -I'm- not crazy enough to try to have 26 people in one thread game... lol
Also on that note, if we do get to that phase, ye don't -have- to do both, there will be folks that just do missions on the boards here and there might be (I hope) folks that would do just missions on IRC and there would be folks that do both. All missions would tie in to the same story (Say the IRC group takes down a Demon nest, then the next Boards group is doing a clean-up on that same nest, kind of thing) but ye won't be missing out of anything the other group is doing because I'll be giving fun stuff to both forms of the game.
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:46 pm

• Edited the first post to make it a bit cleaner.
  • The Time Line on the wiki is getting close to be complete, I have (I think) all the info on the Ani-People I wanted up, almost all the info on other races and their dealings with The Organization and Earth Alpha up, now is just getting out the rest of The Organization written up.
  • The Races page is getting close to complete. I have basic info on every race except Elf, Human and Yeti up as of this posting. After that will just come the more specific stuff like average heights (so ye know normally how tall each race is when compared to another. Note that I won't be using permanent Growth or Shrinking for adjusting their height, they'll all be considered 'normal' height in terms of M&M height charts, though some races will gain racial abilities to access Growth and/or Shrinking as ye level up.)
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*

Lost_Scholar
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Lost_Scholar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:31 pm

This definitely sounds interesting. Will have to read over the material more before coming up with a character concept though.

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am

Good to see more interest in the game ^_^ I'll be switching this over to a Recruiting thread here near the end of the day (EST)

An update: I've added a Worlds page for some basic info on the other Earth's. There are a -ton- more, but these are the basic ones that all Agents are taught about.

Some things to note:
Thus far we have had a few different concepts thrown around;
Shadow13 had three of them though they all looked to be different variations of "Hunter" concepts. Not sure if Hunter is more of a sniper, scout, ninja (as in stealthy, quick striking) or what
Shock has PM'd me with an interesting concept of a "Leader/field command" type
Aspen has two concepts he is going over, a "Soldier/Warrior" based off an Underworld character, or a "Combat Mage/Healer" combo (having some mix of combat magic and healing magic)
ShatteredFaith has a "Fighter/Warrior" Sword-Master.

Hope that helps ye so ye see what types of positions are being possibly filled.

Also some people were talking to me via PM about not sure what types of weapons to use, either because they didn't know what would be available or because they thought if it has been used by one member it can't be used again.
Don't worry about using a weapon that another party member is using, it happens all the time ^_^. Just because SF is wanting to play a Sword-Master doesn't mean swords are off limits, it just means that it'd be better to not submit another sword-master (unless ye two work it out via PM and want to be like allies or rivals or something)
Any weapon ye can think of could be in the game barring my approving of it after looking at the stats. Just remember if it isn't something we (as in Real Life) have on Earth now then your character probably found it or bought it on a different 'Earth' or they, themselves were from a different 'Earth' that has that tech.. Ye want an 'Energy Blaster'? Sure, make up some world that s/he found it on (or your character is -from-) and ye got the blaster (just remember ye found it -after- being an Agent for a bit when writing your background unless ye are from that world). Ye want a freaking Lightsaber, go nuts, one of the 'Earths' could have Jedi if ye want. (And aye, that means if ye want to be a Jedi ye can be. Just be prepared to get advice on how to make a Jedi or Lightsaber from me ;) )
Most 'normal' weapons, as in it does one or two things; a gun shoots, a knife stabs, a rifle with a grenade launcher attachment shoots bullets or grenades, etc will be made as Equipment. Most of the 'crazy jigsaw does everything including making a pizza' weapons will be Devices. And as with the core book, if the weapon can't be taken from ye (ie it is a cannon that is part of or hooked onto your arm) will be normal powers rather than equipment or devices.
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*