Albright Institute [IC: 9]: Blast From The Past

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Locked
User avatar
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 14313
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: The Lands of Ink
Contact:

Albright Institute [IC: 9]: Blast From The Past

Post by Tattooedman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Freedom City, Mid-October in 2008:

Today is the day you are going to the Albright Institute, located in part of Freedom City called Hanover, for your usual checkup (for whatever it is you normally get checked up on that is). It’s a warm day still and the sun has managed to break through the clouds, helping to make it feel not so close to fall weather. Which the local college students have apparently decided to use as an excuse to wander out and cruise through the various stores and shops in the area.

You check in at the front desk of the four story building like always, the short, dark-haired, older female attendant smiling that big, wide smile she always gives you when you come in and tells you which floor you’re supposed to go, not that you didn’t already know but it is her job after all.

OOC wrote:Here we go gang, everyone knows this routine by this point. A short description of your character, what‘s on their mind as they’re going along. Feel free to make up the names of people you deal with (doctors/nurses/technicians/and so on). Who knows? I might reference them later as NPCs.

>>>>

And for those of you who might be wondering this adventure is taking place a week before the current adventure in the FORCE Ops game. So no worries about one of them crashing through the windows.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 13293
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Riding the range

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Horsenhero » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Sundial
Sean O'Toole

Condition: spiffy HP 3


Walking into the Albright Institute always makes me want to hurl. The chipper, matronly nurse at the front desk...at least I'm assuming she's a nurse... has me sign in. Then she has me sign in again because "Sean O'Toole" is required and "Arson Carson" is completely unacceptable. Slouching into the waiting room, I pick up a magazine and start to read. Oh lookie...Brett Favre might retire again, for like the third time or something. Really, in a place filled with so many dysfunctional people you'd think they would have better reading than a year old Sports Illustrated. Heck, at the very least give us poor freaks o' nature some eye candy and have the Swimsuit Issue available.

Anyway, it's the standard wait until Daphne comes to get me. Daphne? Really? This woman must've truly disappointed her parents with her desire to become a research scientist. Obviously they wanted her to become a girl detective who crossed the country with her studly boytoy, a brainy butch and a mutant dog, all living together in a van. It sounds like some of the Dead Heads I've met...without the drugs or accidental pregnancies. Now where was I? Oh yeah...Daphne. Daphne Halperstein scientist and given the number of times it takes her to get the needlestick right for the blood draw...amateur sadist.

When Daphne's done, then I get to see Kumiko and Earl...I'm not kidding...Kumiko and Earl, sounds like a blinkin' sitcom. Anyway, they put the goggles and scba gear on me and dump me in this vat of non-flammable gel, while they check the Sundial harness. They started by trying to put me in water, because its' inexpensive, but, guess what? My uncontrolled ignition feeds off the hydrogen and oxygen in water and I just burn anyway, boiling away like an egg. So now I go into a giant tub of goo. It's colorless, but, I keep trying to get them to reformulate it in green. If I'm going to have to hang out for an hour plus in a vat of slime, I should at least be able to indulge my Nickelodeon fantasies. Anyway, I usually try to catch a quick nap when they're looking over the harness...what else am I going to do while I'm suspended in goo?

After that, it's harness back on, then into the shower to rinse off Bill Cosby's snack and on to the question and answer part of my day. That part of the day comes with a full physical, NOT administered by the evil, yet attractive Daphne Halperstein or even the short, cherubic Kumiko...y'know, I don't know her last name, she just is the first half of "and Earl". No! My physical is given to me by an old dude, who I swear takes way too much time fondling my junk while asking if I've experienced any "changes" since last time. I'd like to change him right in the keister.

The most fun part of my day, is when he asks if I've got anything planned for Halloween. I tell him I'm going as a Vietnam War era Buddhist monk. The look on his face is so worth the price of admission.

Finally, I'm back in the waiting room eagerly anticipating the moment when my test results are back and I can get the heck out of here. Today's worse than usual though, because there's a kinda hot girl with wings and feathery looking hair giving me the once over. Yes, it's true, I'm kinda good looking...but the images of Kentucky Fried Girlfriend dancing in my head keep me from returning her hopeful gaze. I drum my fingers on the 'dial harness, and wait impatiently for the faceless drones to confirm that I'm still a danger to mankind.

User avatar
heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by heretic454 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Black

I should know better than to go out on nights where I have an early day. I should know better, but I don't. My father hasn't even bothered to ask where I go anymore because the answer is invariably one of the clubs in Freedom City with girls in short skirts and cut guys who want to get into them. Sometimes I actually do go and hang out with friends, or spend time in front of paparazzi with cameras hoping to get a photo of me going down on some guy. It's occurred to me that paparazzi engage in a sort of mainstream pornography. But that's me, I see the world in shades of black.

The day is colored headache grey when I left the estate and slipped right into my father's car. He wants me to go to the Albright Institute every few months to check out what he calls my condition; I think he's convinced that if they figure out what's going on with my sight, they'll figure out what's going on with my deafness. I'm wearing over-sized Burberry sunglasses a short skirt that my father would prefer me not to wear, and a shirt that covers just enough skin to ensure that the world at large doesn't see my scars, which in my case ends up being a long sleeved, but decently low cut top.

Bentley is driving, and I try not to think about the strangely apt name for my father's hired driver. He's slightly older than I am, and a Freedom City native. He nods at me and mouths the words "Good morning Miss Krane," with some attempt at sign language. He's starting to learn; I think he wants to impress me. I smile at him, but keep on the sunglasses. I feel like I have a hangover; two hours of sleep will do that to you.

It doesn't take us long to get to Albright and I fight dozing off again. When we get there there's a boy in the waiting room with some kind of device on his chest. There's a woman at the front desk who looks like some kind of earth mother, and she smiles at me with a forced cheerfulness while taking long looks at me. She says something to the woman on her right, and she thinks that just because I'm deaf means I can't understand her. But I can - she's saying something about me being too thin. I can think of twenty different ways I could hop over the desk and make her start to cry in less than five seconds. But whatever.

I keep my sunglasses on until they call me - I let them come over and touch my arm to get my attention - and follow them back to find the doctor.

They do a checkup that requires me to wear a hospital gown that screams "I'm unstylish and everyone can see your ass and a wholly unsexy way!" The doctor frowns but doesn't say anything about the scars on my back, and I don't complain about them.

Then they do a sight check and I can tell them what's going on through walls. The other exam rooms are lead lined because they know what people like me could do.

The entire check up takes way too much time, but I don't mind it so much, I stop paying attention mid way through.

By noon I'm back in the waiting room, unsurprisingly waiting for the results. The sunglasses are back on and the boy is back with the machine in his chest. I look through the magazines to see if I can't find some eye candy, and find myself disappointed only to find fashion magazines with men who look more like women than I do.

"Damn it," I say, "they could at least give us Men's Fitness." Also because they at least have good work out tips. And six packs. Don't forget the six packs.
___________
"Be a beacon?"
Builds
My Blog (movie/television Reviews and Creative Writing)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 11094
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Location: The Frozen North

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Arkrite » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Richard Dunn: Diamond

"This was a bad idea."

"This was a good idea, and you've been putting it off!

Richard frowned, not liking that his sister's logical responses were making him look silly, "Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Hello? I have to get checked up too, big D," Jeanie said with a roll of her eyes, as though this wasn't the first time she'd mentioned it, "I was there too when the terminus wave hit us and if what's happening to you..."

Richard hissed at his little sister, "Shhh! Jeanie!"

"Oh what? You think anybody here cares? I mean, look at her, she's got wings!" Jeanie said pointing at another patient, a pretty young woman who just happened to have wings.

And a red face.

"Jeanie, that's rude."

"No it's not, it's true."

"She can hear you."

"Oh, well, that is rude," She conceded, then waved, to the girl, "Love the wings!"

"Jeanie!" Richard snapped, then buried his face in his hands with a look that screamed 'why me?'.

"Chill, big D, look, here comes the nurse."

"Hopefully to throw our asses out," Richard said in what he thought was under his breath.

"Actually I'm here to see if you two need help," The nurse gave both of them a disapproving look, "But I'm starting to think you don't belong here."

"Oh, we belong here, check this out," Jeanie snagged a paperweight off of the desk and smacked her brother in the face with it as hard as she could.

"Jeanie!" Richard snapped again, terribly embarrassed but otherwise unfazed and unmarked by what should have been a bad injury, "Stop that right now."

"See, we totally belong here."

"Your names?" The nurse said, obviously not impressed or amused.

"I'm Jeanie Dunn, this is my brother Richard."

The nurse nodded and started pulling up information on a computer.

"Seriously, Jeanie, what is with you today? It's like you're on a sugar high."

"Well, you see I have this big test this afternoon, so I was studying all night and I didn't sleep much, so I just drank something to give me a little more pep for the day," She gave him her best innocent look.

Warning bells immediately went off.

"Jeanie?"

"I just had a couple cups of coffee..."

He crossed his arms and gave her a hard look.

"And expresso."

"..."

"And three rockstars."

"Jeanie!"

"And some coffee cake."

"Jeanie!"

"Okay, okay, an entire coffee cake! I'm sort of kind of wired right now."

"Wired? I don't know how haven't' vibrated through the wall by now."

"Ooh, do you think I can do that? Maybe I should try..."

"We at the Albright Institute would appreciate it if you avoided damaging the facility," The nurse intoned in a voice that only came from repeating a line over and over again, but failed to look up at them, "Failure to do so will result in you being asked to leave."

"I'm pretty sure I can't. I'm just curious."

"Save it for the tests," The nurse said in a no-nonsense tone.

Jeanie stuck out her tongue at the woman, then looked around at all the other people in the waiting room.

"You haven't been in for a check up in a long time," The nurse noted disapprovingly.

Richard turned the same disapproving look back at the nurse, "Stuff happened. Checkups didn't seem important."

The staring contest continued until Jeanie turned back to them, "So, are we ready to go or what?"

The nurse sighed, "Please take a seat, you'll be called in for your checkups in about an hour."

"Good, I'm going to go see who he is, back in a few big D!" Jeanie said with a big smile before she disappeared in a swirl of black hair, making her way over to talk to some shaggy haired boy in a bomber jacket.

Richard looked around, then found himself a seat, being extra careful not to break it as he sat down. Then he sat there looking very much like he was afraid of everything around him. Which he was, if only because he was worried he might accidently hurt somebody or something.

A blond girl with pigtails wandered past in a shirt that was a little too tight, and Richard found his eyes following her every movement. He swallowed and wondered what it would be like to touch...

"OW!"

Richard started in his chair, and the chair groaned ominously as it bent out of it's original shape.

"What? What's wrong?" Richard turned, startled to see his sister sitting next to him, holding her elbow and trying not to let him hear her swearing.

"For starters? My brother's a pig. You've been undressing that girl with your eyes for almost five minutes now, it's creepy as hell," she pouted and looked at her arm, "And I forgot how hard you are when I decided to elbow you."

Richard sighed. How was he supposed to explain that one to her. Extreme sexual frustration because he was too afraid to even touch a girl. He was twenty years old and he hadn't even managed to really get to second base, and he couldn't even deal with his urges because he was afraid...

His face flushed, and he looked at the people closest to him. A guy wearing what looked like some kind of parachute harness sat across from him, and beside him was an attractive black haired girl.

"Heh-heh-heh... hi." He said quietly, then slumped back in his now lopsided chair.

This was going to be a long day.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by kirinke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:05 pm

KEISHA
The girl sighed as she worked the ropes around her wrists, thankful this was a drill rather than reality. In her situation, it paid to be prepared, well that and last week some spell-casting mooks had managed to grab her and stick her in a teleport proof mystical cage, so her trainers had been helping her practice against that as well.

She grinned as she felt a knot loosen and patiently worked at it until it finally came undone. She then worked on the ropes at her feet and began to pick the lock on the door with a paper-clip. As soon as she could, she teleported out and back to the front lobby.

She grinned at the receptionist. "How did I do?"

"Not bad, 2 minutes, next time, we're going for one, with the ajoining hallways warded against teleporters." she shooed the girl to a nearby waiting room full of other 'guests'. "Sit, you're due for your monthly physical anyway."

Keisha rolled her eyes. "You teleport accidently into the Foundry and you're branded for life." she grumbled as the receptionist raised her eyebrow, telepathically reminding her of her younger days when her teleportation skills were 'spotty' at best. "That was ten years ago!"

"Practice does not make perfect dearheart, it just means more practice." the receptionist said brightly as she left.

Keisha grabbed some water from the nearby fountain and sipped it slowly as she found an empty chair. She was a very pretty girl, with a lively, mischievious face framed by bright red hair. Hanging from her neck was a gold necklace in the shape of an anhk, She was dressed casually in a well worn black jacket and shirt, with blue jeans and boots. Anybody with a half a brain would know who she is instantly. Keisha Nelson, poster child for the Albright Institute and the acknowledged heir to Langston Albright himself.

Foomy
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Suamico, WI
Contact:

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Foomy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Adam Maday: Haywire

A large yawn escaped Adam's gaping maw as he wandered his way into the lobby. Sleep wasn't exactly a friend of his these days with the constant need to upkeep his hardware. Add in trying to study for exams so that he might some day be able to attend college like most other people along with his hyper charged nervous system and it was astonishing he even got as much sleep as he did. He wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not that he was beginning to get used to the 3 or 4 hours he got most nights.

Mechanical fingers were tapping against his leg in rhythm with the song that was playing over his head phones, his organic hand scratching at the short, bedridden blond hair that topped his head. Sleep depraved eyes looked around the lobby through his glasses trying to make note of everyone around him as he approached the receptionist's counter, removing one of the ear phones and letting it hang by its cord around his neck. He overheard an extremely energetic girl's caffeine intake for the day and it nearly boggled his mind. I don't even drink soda and this girl downed all that? He could only imagine the gut rot that must be occurring there.

The receptionist gave her usual greeting and Adam logged himself in, moving on to sit down among the others in the waiting area. He kept his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, a futile attempt to make himself seem like more than skin an bone. He took glances at the other guys in the room and tried to banish away thoughts that he'd wish his body were more than the short, skinny thing it was.

"Adam Maday?"

Adam lifted his head at the sound of his name and made his way to the doctor.

"I'm Dr. Douglas. It's a pleasure to meet you. Your mother left very specific instructions on your calibration, so we should be all set to get you in and out of here."

Enough with the pleasantries, lets just get this over with. Adam replaced the ear phone that had been dangling around his neck, keeping the volume up just loud enough that he could still hear the man speak but could tune him out easily when everything fell into its normal routine. He didn't need to hear another doctor droning on about how his mother's prosthesis design was so amazing. If it weren't for the necessity of the tests that were performed during these calibration sessions Adam would be fine tuning his limbs himself.

Adam despised the process of the tests though; being forced to strip down to his underwear so that his arm and legs could be removed. It felt degrading. Especially after the prosthesis were removed. Not to mention he was always nervous that he would start to fry once they were taken off. Fortunately the equipment around the chair he sat in was making sure to ground him so that the electricity his body generated didn't kill him like it was constantly attempting to do.

He couldn't help but look at the scars on his legs where the nerve connections for his 'legs' were grafted into him, just above his knees. He had vague memories of actually having normal legs once... Adam shook the thoughts from his mind. He'd been down that road before, thought those thoughts, lived in wallowing sorrow. That was past him. Now he had to focus on simply getting through this and living like normal again.

Apparently Adam hadn't been paying enough attention, letting out a sharp cry as a sudden searing pain in his shoulder caught his attention. One of the doctor's assistants had reconnected his arm causing every nerve at the point of connection to light up like a christmas tree. The pain of that reconnection always caught him off guard but if he was at least paying a little bit of attention he was usually able to stop himself from crying out because of it. His legs came next and Adam winced, but bit his lip to stop himself from letting out another sound.


"That got your attention didn't it." The doctor said, a smug look of satisfaction on his face. He was obviously one who didn't like being ignored.

Adam shot the doctor a short glare. "A tap on the shoulder to warn me would have been appreciated."

"We gave you one. I suppose you were so lost in thought that you didn't feel it."

You are such a jack-ass... Adam tested out his fingers, then his toes, making sure that the nerves connected properly.

"Have you been fine tuning these yourself Adam?" The doctor asked, looking over his clip board. "There wasn't as much work to be done today as your previous visits."

"A little bit. I save a lot of the major stuff for when I come here, but I do nightly maintenance on the hardware just in case something shorts out." Elbow joint next. Adam bent his arm a few times, twisting his wrist as he looked to see if everything was alright, then moved on to his legs again.

"Impressive... but not recommended. Your mother leaves very specific notes on these mechanics. If they're the slightest bit off-"

"Then I could end up shorting the equipment out myself and cause an emergency situation for everyone around me when the electricity my body generates starts to go haywire. I've heard the lecture before, but I'm the one living with these and the technical aspects of the mechanics involved in their construction and function are known just as well to me as they are to my mother so I think I'm just as qualified to make adjustments to the calibration and hardware as anyone else." Adam stood, picking up his clothes and beginning to dress himself.

"... Very well. I can't exactly stop you. I'll make note of that however and I strongly encourage you to let future examiners know if you've made any adjustments yourself before the tests start." The tone of annoyance on Douglas' voice was thinly veiled as he placed the clip board on a hook and made his way to the door. "I'm done with you, but you'll have to stay here for your physical. Don't get too comfortable in your clothes, you'll be taking them off again. Have a good day."

...I despise doctors.

Adam's physical went rather quickly. He was urged to get better sleep and possibly eat a bit more. Not anything he hadn't been told before.

Adam made his way back into the lobby, again his hands in the pockets of his hoodie as he took a seat once again, keeping to himself and leaving one earphone dangling from his neck.

User avatar
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 14313
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: The Lands of Ink
Contact:

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Tattooedman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 am

As the different other people in the waiting area mill around for their turn to be seen by the specialists at the Institute the usual hum-drum and quiet murmuring is silenced by the sudden screeching of a fire alarm.

Several people jump up from their seats immediately in reaction and a few of them start for the stairway just as the staff begins to tell everyone to reamain calm and move in an orderly fashion. For the most part the majority of the people follow the directions, though there are those who almost full out run down the stairs.

It's at this point that there is a subtle '-POP-' like-noise as a teenaged boy with dark brown hair and a dark haired girl, who looks to be only slightly older, who are both wearing outfits that are a deep purple with different counter colors (the boy's is emerald green while the girl's is a burnt orange) suddenly appear in the center of the waiting area.

The girl glances over to her compainion after looking over the area. "Jump, go check on Ember while I deal with the strays here. Make sure she doesn't damage anything that we might be here for."

For his part the boy rolls his eyes as he answers back. "Fine." Clearly he's not happy about his new assignment but he doesn't argue and as suddenly as he arrived he disappears from sight with another -POP- as the dark haired girl turns her attention back on the people trying to leave. Her eyes now glowing almost the same burnt orange as parts of her outfit as you feel a strange sensation in your mind, almost like this is your worst nightmare come to life and all you want to do is get away. Obviously the other people around experience the same feeling as their efforts to get to the stairs become a more frantic and they begin to push and shove one another to propel themselves ahead of anyone in their way.
OOC wrote:I'll say that the waiting area you have all managed to find yourselves in is on the 2nd floor of the building.
Everyone gets to make a Knowledge [Pop Culture] check (to see if you recognize the two teenagers who poped in).
Also everyone gets to make a Will Save vs. Emotion Control [Fear], DC 15.
After that it's time for Initiative rolls.
Dark haired girl's Initiative Roll: (1d20+3=18).
Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

User avatar
heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by heretic454 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 am

Black

I was leaning back in my chair trying to ignore what was going on around me, which admittedly is easy to do since I can't hear them, when I noticed the change in behavior. When you're deaf you tend to notice things like that because many times they're the only cues you have that something is wrong. I turned to the hyperactive brother and sister next to me and spoke slowly trying to be as clear as possible.

"What's going on? What's wrong?"

I almost never talk when I go out at night because my voice coach has told me that my consonants have gotten softer.

That's when a teenage boy and girl...for lack of a better word...teleport into the room. They say something to each other and then the boy disappears. Then the girl puts her attention towards me and I feel like she wants me to be frightened. But I've known fear. And she just doesn't have it.
I turn to check on the brother and sister next to me and I spoke loudly to get his attention, "I think you should get your sister out."

I stand and crack my knuckles. I might be tired, but I could still beat the ever loving crap out of her.
Last edited by heretic454 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___________
"Be a beacon?"
Builds
My Blog (movie/television Reviews and Creative Writing)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 13293
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Riding the range

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:42 am

Sundial

Sean O'Toole HP 3

So, I'm sitting here minding my own business, waiting for somebody to give me my paperwork, so I can go home and hand it off to Mom. In a small aside, if anyone ever tells you that being 18 makes you an adult and your parents can't try to make you miserable by treating you like you're 6...laugh at them...loudly. Anyway, sitting here not hurting anyone, when *pop* the wonder-kids teleport in. We just had perfection over there 'port in, and while she's hot enough to keep my man fantasies going for weeks, her attitude pisses me off. Now...we've got sister sinister and brother hen-pecked here...just as the fire alarms and sprinklers are going off...that's not suspicious or anything. Then the girl's eyes start to glow...crap...the...building...is...on ...fire! Kentucky Fried people unless I can do something. Fortunately, wanting to wet myself or not, the fire is something I can deal with...I just gotta turn the damn dial.
Will Save vs. Emotion Control. 1d20+5=12. Sundial is Shaken and at -2 to all attacks and skill checks.

Initiative. 1d20+7=19

Popular culture...untrained Int. roll. 1d20+1=12.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 11094
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Location: The Frozen North

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Arkrite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Richard Dunn: Diamond

Richard looked up as the alarms went off. Jeanie gave him a curious look.
Black wrote:"What's going on?"
"Huh?" Richard looked over to his left at the girl sitting next to him, blankly. He almost thought he'd heard.
Black wrote: What's wrong?"
"Oh, uh, fire alarm. Can't you hear it?"

"Yo, big D, time to go!" Jeanie waved her hand across Richard's view to get his attention. Poking, tugging on his sleeve, and often talking didn't get noticed, but his eyes were still good which meant it was the only way to get his attention some time.

He shook his head, "You first, if I got through I might... I should wait until the others have gone."

The image of him accidentally slamming somebody through a wall came to mind. It wasn't pleasent.

"Yeah, like I'm leaving you behin- whoa, aren't they..." Jeanie pointed to a boy and girl who he didn't remember being there a moment ago in funny jumpsuits.

Funny outfits in Freedom City always meant trouble.

The next thing Richard knew the boy was gone and the girl was doing something strange with her eyes. And suddenly it felt like he was having a nightmare again. The one where he hugged his little sister and crushed her to death. He was all alone and it was his fault. And that feeling rode him like it was going to happen unless he ran away now.
Black wrote:"I think you should get your sister out."
Richard glanced over at the girl, then back to his sister. Jeanie sat in the chair next to him, clinging to his right arm, her green eyes filled with tears.

"R-r-rich? I don't w-wanna die, please, I don't want to die..." She bawled, clinging to his arm.

Richard looked at his sister, then to the stairs were... everybody was going nuts. A moment ago they'd all be pretty calm and collected, now they were all doing their best to trample each other trying to get out of...

Richard's eyes narrowed and focused on the girl with the glowing eyes. He hadn't been afraid until she'd done that little light trick. She'd made Jeanie cry.

Nobody made Jeanie cry while he was around. He let the feeling of anger wash away the fear as he closed his left hand into a fist. The sound of his knuckles poping was like firecrackers going off in the room.
OOC:
Init: 1d20+5=11
Will Save VS DC15 fear effect: 1d20+9=25
Knowledge Pop Culture: 1d20+2=11

Foomy
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Suamico, WI
Contact:

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Foomy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Haywire
Adam Maday

Adam let out yet another large yawn, feeling his eye-lids growing heavy again. Perhaps a nap here wouldn't be such a bad idea? It was mostly quiet and if anyone really needed him he was sure they would wake him up... yeah. Just a little nap...

The screech of a fire alarm ripped through the air and tore the drowsy teen from his half asleep state with a jump. He took a quick look around, trying to see what the hell was happening. As soon as his brain calmed down a bit he realized what was going on and let out a sigh. Despite the protests his body made to remain where he was he stood and began making his way to follow everyone else... until he heard that weird sound.

He couldn't help but look in the direction it had come from. One of Adam's brows lifted in confusion as to where it was they had come from... then he ignored that question remembering what city he lived in. It didn't matter where they had come from, what mattered was why they were here.

He saw the male member of the duo vanish with that same sound and his disappearance again brought a confused query to Adam's mind, but he ignored it. The girl turned to face everyone.. and he saw her eyes glow for a second... but suddenly that hardly mattered.

Almost everyone around him was beginning to panic, as if something was coming after them and they were all trying to get away from it. Adam's eyes widened for a second... something was wrong.. everything seemed like it was crumbling around him. Adam turned and looked at the exit.. too many people. He had to get away. It was all going to come down!
Knowledge [popculture]: 1d20+4=15
Will save vs Emotion Control: 1d20+2=7
Initiative: 1d20+2=13
Last edited by Foomy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by kirinke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm

KEISHA AKA LIGHT WEAVER (Condition fine, Hero Points 1)

OOC
Fearless feat (immunity vs. fear effects/abilities.)
Initative 21 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2894783/
Pop Culture 24 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2894802/
Intitative -> 20 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2895028/
Complication -> attacking the institute is one of her "really not happy with you right now" buttons.
Intimidation 7

IC
Keisha jumped up, looking around for the source of the trouble. She could taste the fear in the room, even if it didn't affect her anymore, not after the infamous jaunt into a Foundry outpost that made Dr. Albright give her a year's worth of intensive training into controlling her own fears, which led her to finally controlling her teleport ability.

Eyes narrowing, she stepped forward. "Do you know what a monumentally bad idea this is?" she said conversationally, moving towards the other girl in a predatory way. No body attacked her home, hurt her people, her family in any way shape or form. Not if she could help it. "What bit of technology are you after that's worth this?"

User avatar
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 14313
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: The Lands of Ink
Contact:

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 am

Keisha‘s voice was the only calm one in the room and instantly gained Empath‘s attention. "Do you know what a monumentally bad idea this is?"

The auburn haired girl turned her gaze back towards the red-headed girl who was somehow resisting her attempts to instill fear and even coming closer towards her. Empath said nothing for a moment, almost like she was considering what was being said to her but then the look on her face took on a snide look as her mouth turned up in a slight frown as Keisha continued to resist her psionic efforts and question Empath again.

"What bit of technology are you after that's worth this?"

Apparently Keisha’s having the nerve to question her again was more than Empath cared to tolerate. “A few things actually, but that‘s not really your problem now is it? It‘s not like you need them, you‘ve got your powers under control. Don‘t you Kiesha?” Her voice was filled with fake friendliness and just a hint of contempt.

OOC wrote:First off Light Weaver and Haywire are the only ones made the Knowledge Check (it was a DC 15, the Psions aren't super well known after all) and recognize Empath for who she is at this point. The leader of the Psions and a kind of mentalist.
>>>>>>
Here‘s the way Initiative is going:
Light Weaver - 21
Sundial - 19
Empath - 18
Black - 14
Haywire - 13
Diamond - 11
>>>>>>
Based from how I‘m reading kirinke‘s post it looks like Light Weaver is trying to intimidate Empath for her turn but didn‘t include a roll, so…..
Intimidate Check: (1d20+7=9). I did one.

Now for Empath‘s counter roll:
Empath‘s Sense Motive Check: (1d20+13=31). Yeah, she‘s not impressed.
Now Empath get‘s a check to recognize Keisha.
Knowledge [Pop Culture]Check: (1d20+1=19). Oh yeah, she knows who Keisha is.
>>>>
That‘ll bring it to Sundial‘s turn.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by kirinke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 am

Tattooedman wrote:Keisha‘s voice was the only calm one in the room and instantly gained Empath‘s attention. "Do you know what a monumentally bad idea this is?"

The auburn haired girl turned her gaze back towards the red-headed girl who was somehow resisting her attempts to instill fear and even coming closer towards her. Empath said nothing for a moment, almost like she was considering what was being said to her but then the look on her face took on a snide look as her mouth turned up in a slight frown as Keisha continued to resist her psionic efforts and question Empath again.

"What bit of technology are you after that's worth this?"

Apparently Keisha’s having the nerve to question her again was more than Empath cared to tolerate. “A few things actually, but that‘s not really your problem now is it? It‘s not like you need it, you‘ve got your powers under control. Don‘t you Kiesha?” Her voice was filled with fake friendliness and just a hint of contempt.
IC
The girl smirks in return. "Even if I have my powers under control, the institute is still my home Empath." she said stressing the last. "And it is really a monumentally bad idea to sow fear in a bunch of kids with control issues." she said, just as creepily calm as before. Underneath the calm is the distinct,need to smack Empath into next week. Or into unconsciousness, she's happy with either as well as the feelings of contempt for Empath's stupidity and lack of wisdom in this endevour. Keisha is cheerfully broadcasting both feelings and thoughts towards the other girl, knowing it's likely to piss her off. The clearest thought is -Dumbass idiot-
OOC wrote:First off Light Weaver and Haywire are the only ones made the Knowledge Check (it was a DC 15, the Psions aren't super well known after all) and recognize Empath for who she is at this point. The leader of the Psions and a kind of mentalist.
>>>>>>
Here‘s the way Initiative is going:
Light Weaver - 21
Sundial - 19
Empath - 18
Black - 14
Haywire - 13
Diamond - 11
>>>>>>
Based from how I‘m reading kirinke‘s post it looks like Light Weaver is trying to intimidate Empath for her turn but didn‘t include a roll, so…..
Intimidate Check: (1d20+7=9). I did one.

Now for Empath‘s counter roll:
Empath‘s Sense Motive Check: (1d20+13=31). Yeah, she‘s not impressed.
Now Empath get‘s a check to recognize Keisha.
Knowledge [Pop Culture]Check: (1d20+1=19). Oh yeah, she knows who Keisha is.
>>>>
That‘ll bring it to Sundial‘s turn.
ooc
Ahh. Sorry about not including an intimidation roll. Heh. Invisible castle seems to go for a few good rolls followed by alot of sucky ones. :|

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 13293
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Riding the range

Re: Albright Institute: [IC: 1]: Bright Beginnings

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 am

Sundial
Sean O'Toole

Condition: Shaken HP 3


Watching the pair of girls face off like some television version of what tough guys are supposed to sound like, I'm almost tempted to to yell at them. Why don't you just whip 'em out and see who can pee standing up already? Almost.

Unfortunately for me and my big mouth, the newbie girl scares me, inspite of her hotness and our resident princess makes me want to smack the smug right off her face. Fine...fight it out skanks. My attention is really on the kid who collapsed off his chair. Usually reducing one of us to quivering in the fetal position is just asking for unwanted power displays... which surprisingly enough, is how we end up with the "threat or menace" treatment in the press. Gotta love the Murdoch brigade. They're about as fair and balanced as Rush Limbaugh's diet. Anyway... the kid.

I kneel down and with juuuuusst a moment to consider this might not be a great idea, lay my hand on his shoulder. Gotta create that feeling of intimacy...sympatico.

"Hey bubba, you gotta pull it together. Are you gonna tell me, you lived through whatever it is that got you here with the rest of us poster children for super-powered dysfunction, only to be intimidated by some broad in spandex? C'mon, she's not even sporting a full dose of the most common super power for girls! If she were full on Dolly Parton, I could understand it, but, she's not even doin' a good Scarjo."

The snark, brings his head back into the game some. Sure, he's probably still scared, so am I, but, at least his eyes are on what's happening, not on what he thinks COULD happen.

Dropping my hand from his shoulder, I screw up my own courage for what I gotta do. "All right. Time to fight fire with fire."

I turn the dial. *click* *click* And burst into flames.

"Light 'em up!"

Corny I know, but, "Flame on" is taken. Sue me.
All right, using my standard action and a Hero Point to use my Leadership feat to cancel out the panicked condition on Haywire. Since EC is a staged effect, I think this still leaves him Shaken, but, that's just a -2 to some rolls, not complete inactivity, so it'll do. Then I use my move action to activate my Fire Form. And that's my round.

Locked