Pokemon, the Sozin journeys [OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Pokemon, the Sozin journeys [OOC]

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am

I love pokemon and I’m man enough to admit it! :mrgreen:

I’ve been enjoying the games since the first versions for the regular gameboy system. Ever since I started getting into role playing I’ve been hoping that one day they would release a pen and paper rpg for me to enjoy. To this day, there has never been one (not counting a couple of homebrews out on the interwebz) and that won’t do. I’d like to run a pokemon rpg on these boards, using the M&M 2e rule set.

The idea of the game:

A couple (max 3) trainers begin their journey in a new region, called Sozin. The story revolves around their quest to become the Sozin champion. The game will play out kind of like the cartoon and anime versions of the pokemon Franchise, with a group called team Oberon taking up the mantle of the main antagonistic group. The new region will feature a lot of new characters, but also some of my personal old favorites. I don’t think I’ll introduce a new group of pokemon as I think that would be too much of a hassle (and we have more than 400 available already).

If there are more people interested in playing a general (gym challenging) pokemon trainer, I’ll likely split up the group. (each following their own journey) I’ll just have to wait and see if there is enough interest.

Here’s how I think things should work:

Each applicant creates a pl 3 (45 pp) character, without any powers/ pokemon. Then, each applicant chooses a starter from their home region (official starters only) and one more non evolved pokemon (not everything will be available at first, please run your ideas by me first.) as their companions. Ruleswise these would start out as pl 5 heroic minions. Second stage pokemon will genrally start at a pl of 7 and third stage pokemon will be around pl 9. Of course there will be exceptions to this rule, but all in due time.
I won’t pre-make the stats for all pokemon in advance (although there are a couple good resources available on these and other boards). You can basically stat your own pokemon, although I hold the right to change as I see fit when needed.
All pokemon that will be encountered will be statted by myself, you all may help and chip in off course.
Weaknesses and resistances should be taken into account as normal vulnerabilities and resistances.

Your gear should be bought with equipment points.

That’s it basically. Just let me know if you’re interested and if there are things you’d like to know from me.

MIT
Last edited by Manintights on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Pokemon, the Sozin journeys (checking interest)

Post by Thrincold » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:36 am

So very interested. I'm a huge pokefan. (And man enough to admit it.) One requirement of my participation would be your trainer ID so that I can stalk you on Pokemon Black/White (kidding, about the stalking, not the ID)

Character would start with a Squirtle and a ...(crap brain fart, the dark/ ground crocodile from the black/white games)

How will we handle captures and pokeballs? Oh and types, are we putting type descriptors on all attacks and using them like the game?

CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CelticREI » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:09 am

how would ye feel about a Dark/Ghost trainer? Starter Pokemon would be the Penguin or maybe the flame 'chick' (Torchick?) It's been a year or two so I'm fuzzy on their names till I can get my hands on a Black/White strategy guide ^_^
But s/he would focus on the ghost-types (as most of them that I can remember are /Dark, that is thrown in there too)
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Thrincold » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 am

CelticREI wrote:how would ye feel about a Dark/Ghost trainer? Starter Pokemon would be the Penguin or maybe the flame 'chick' (Torchick?) It's been a year or two so I'm fuzzy on their names till I can get my hands on a Black/White strategy guide ^_^
But s/he would focus on the ghost-types (as most of them that I can remember are /Dark, that is thrown in there too)
You'd have more luck with a ghost trainer as your theme, since there are 1 (2?) total pure ghosts, most are ghost/poison, at least from the original 150.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 am

Serebii has a complete pokedex complete with all sorts of different ways to look up pokemon.

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 am

Glad to see there's someone interested in this type of game, Ill pm you my ID once I get home from work.
Character would start with a Squirtle and a ...(crap brain fart, the dark/ ground crocodile from the black/white games)
The pokemon you're talking about is called sandile
How will we handle captures and pokeballs? Oh and types, are we putting type descriptors on all attacks and using them like the game?
I'm not really settled on how to handle captures. I think I'll have to cook something up like a capture rate per pokemon, with circumstance bonuses/ penalties (inlcuding types of pokeball used).

Every attack should indeed have a type descriptor, so we could use the games as a guideline. With vulnerabilities and immunity at half effect to represent typing.

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 am

CelticREI wrote:how would ye feel about a Dark/Ghost trainer? Starter Pokemon would be the Penguin or maybe the flame 'chick' (Torchick?) It's been a year or two so I'm fuzzy on their names till I can get my hands on a Black/White strategy guide ^_^
Specific type trainers are no problem at all. There are quite a number of ghost types available in the games at the moment. (since we won't limit ourselves to the first 150). Your starter would be Piplup/ Torchic.

MIT

Play by post games:

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Post by McGuffin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am

Pokemon? Man, I haven't played that since Gold, although I've replayed that more... Damnit, I'm gonna replay it again now, aren't I?

Anyway, are the starters limited to the ones in Black/White? I used to love playing a Fire starter/Electric secondary pokemon team.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Thrincold » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 am

I think all starters are available, plus one other 'early' unevolved pokemon. That is how I take it at least.

I'll have a character statted up in a few hours :D

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:34 am

Thrincold is absolutely right regarding the starters, all generations allowed.

Play by post games:

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am

I'm interested too.

Electric for me.
Impeach the peach!

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 am

Again, thanks for the interest guys. I was afraid pokemon wouldn't really tickle the forumites fancy.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that there are a ton of things one could do/be besides being a professional trainer. I'm going to keep the eventual cast pretty low (with a max of 3 players). I'll pick the concepts that intrigue me the most and invite me to wave a story around them.

MIT

Play by post games:

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Thrincold » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:14 am

So adult trainers, like scientists or fishermen are OK for this, not just the usual teen character?

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:21 am

I've been thinking of a way to handle capturing pokemon in the game and this is what I've come up with:
Pokemon capture rating:

To capture a pokemon a player makes a capture check (by rolling a d20 of course.) The base DC for this check is determined by the following: DC = pokemon PLx2 + pokemon base defense. A number of modifiers apply to the check. For example: (list has to be completed as I'll add stuff when I think about it)

+1: pokemon is completely unharmed.
+0: Using a standard pokeball to capture a pokemon.
-1: Every bruised status the pokemon has taken (might change this up to -1 per 2 bruised)
-1: Using a great ball to capture a pokemon
-2: Pokemon is suffering from a condition (burned/paralysed/poisoned/asleep).
-2: Using a Ultraball or type specific pokeball to capture a pokemon
Please tell me what you guys think about that and if you know of any other modifiers I might add to this list.
Also, I've been touching on the status effects that the pokemon games use. I'm not sure how to handle these yet so If there are any ideas on the matter please let me know.

Other types of trainers are indeed allowed.

MIT

Play by post games:

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 am

I'm not sure If I already mentioned this or not, but this game will be 2e (don't own 3e)

MIT

Play by post games: