Age of Heroes - Chapter 2: Gods & Monsters (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Re: Age of Heroes (Chapter 2 RECRUITING NEW PLAYERS!!!)

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am

We can poke one of his eyes out... or... or he strikes so fast it seems he has a hundred arms.... (one of my recent gigs has me drawing a Hekatonkeires for a friend's book on Greek myths... forget drawing a bunch of arms... drawing a bunch of HANDS is what's giving me nightmares...)

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:15 am

Hound wrote:So your guy, who is like 7 or 8 feet tall... still in the realm of "human" was big and strong, and over the years became the legend for "giants" and peole emblish it until you were 30 feet tall and could pick up cows in one hand!

Pretty much. When you couple in superhuman strength and toughness, it helps build the idea.

Coyotzin wrote:We can poke one of his eyes out... or... or he strikes so fast it seems he has a hundred arms.... (one of my recent gigs has me drawing a Hekatonkeires for a friend's book on Greek myths... forget drawing a bunch of arms... drawing a bunch of HANDS is what's giving me nightmares...)

Maybe some happenings in game can help provide those. :D
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Heocles
PL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 14, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 6 (+20), Expertise: Animal Husbandry 8 (+8), Insight 8 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+17), Perception 8 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Startle, All-Out Attack, Interpose, Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Improved Initiative 2, Takedown, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Improved Smash, Fast Grab, Skill Mastery (Athletics), Benefit (May use Strength for Intimidate), Benefit (May Startle as a move action without penalty), Benefit (May Demoralize as a move action without penalty), Skill Mastery (Intimidation), Improved Disarm, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improvised Weapons, Improved Critical (Throwing) 2, Improved Critical (Improvised Weapons) 2

POWERS:
Destined Longevity: Feature 1 (Longevity); Immunity 10 (Life Support - Half Effect)
Impregnable Form: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 10
Unimaginable Might: Power-Lifting 8 [Lifts 200 million pounds]
Feats of Strength Array (Alternate Powers of Strength)
- Walloping Fist: Affliction 14 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Stunned and Prone; Limited to Two Degrees, Extra Condition x2)
- Foot Stomp: Line Area Damage 10
- Shockwave: Burst Area Damage 10
- Thunderclap: Cone Area Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated)

DEFENSES:
Dodge 6, Fortitude 12, Parry 6, Toughness 14, Will 8

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Unarmed +6, (DC 29 Toughness)
Throwing +6, (DC 29 Toughness)
Improvised Weapons +6, (DC 29 Toughness)

[Abilities 68 + Skills 16 + Advantages 24 + Powers 29 + Defenses 13 = 150]

Description
Heocles is a giant of a man, nearly eight feet in height, undeniably muscular, with a scruffy top of coal-black hair and a scruffy stubble-like beard. It takes a focused mind to look past his intimidating exterior and recognize, particularly through the face and the light green eyes, that Heocles is in fact barely past majority.

His dress is the worn, but functional fleece clothes commonplace to shepherds themselves.

Background

In the hilly parts of Phocis, Heocles grew up among goats and sheep, not far from the gushing Hot Gates, which even then for him were but great wondrous stories. But his family and village neighbors were insular, cautious sorts, who had not the slightest wish to go off in some foreign place, much less allow Heocles that luxury.

He would have been condemned to boredom, until his unnatural strength and tenacity emerged more and more apparent. Able to tear off large boulders from mountainsides, and driving off wolves uninjured by the bites of entire packs, his clan grew frightened.

Eventually, they gave him his wish to travel as a fait accompli to get rid of him. Heocles never looked back. Scarely a year or two has passed, but Heocles has adventured, and built a reputation, and he couldn't be happier.

So yes, his name would morph into Heracles (the original Greek for Hercules), and probably people would spin it over the ages into Kyclopes (Cyclops) and probably the Hundred-Handed Ones to boot. I was thinking he may well be my equivalent of Hound the Immortal. :)

Complications
Motivation - Wanderlust: Heocles was not content to stay on his hilly home, herding sheep and goats - not when the whole of Creation is out there.
The Mountains Stick Out: Given Heocles' immense size and strength, to say he draws attention would be an immense understatement. In addition, this causes all sorts of difficulties, physical or simply by unintentionally causing fear.
Restraint is a Virtue: The sheer might of Heocles' body concerns even him, and so he takes care to not engage in wrongful fights or inflict harm unless it is justifiable. Even then, killing intent is meant only for monsters.
Enemy: The bandit chief Pecritias, seeking revenge and to salve his smashed reputation after Heocles' heroics around southeastern Epirus.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Impeach the peach!

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Re: Age of Heroes (Chapter 2 RECRUITING 4 - 6 NEW PLAYERS!!!

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Pallanthia of Attica - PL 10
Artwork by Wagner Monticelli

Abilities - 56pp
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 9, Intellect 6, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Advantages - 20 pp (* Presence bonus advantages)
Assessment, Close Attack 4, Daze (Intimidation)*, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 4, Fearless, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Jack-of-all-trades, Leadership*, Master Crafter (can use relevant Expertise skill for inventions), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Quick Draw, Set-up, Startle*, Second Chance: Any form of immobilization, Takedown 2, Teamwork

Skills - 13pp
Athletics 8 (+10), Expertise: Smithing 4 (+10), Expertise: Tactics 6 (+12), Expertise: Woodworking 3 (+9), Insight 6 (+10/+16), Intimidation 8 (+11), Persuasion 4 (+7)

Powers - 39pp
War is an Art - (divine inspiration array, 26pp base) - 28 pp
. . Arrange the Field: Burst Area Teleport Attack (+self) 1 (120 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Attack (+self): Dodge DC 20, Custom 8: Extra Ranks, Insidious, Precise, Subtle: subtle)
. . Battle Command: Perception Area Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Insight +6 (+16), Advantages: Fearless, Takedown 1, Teamwork, Assessment, Second Chance: Any form of immobilization, Takedown 2, Set-up; Affects Others, Perception Area (hearing), Precise; Check Required (Expertise: Tactics DC 11), Quirk: Move action to sustain)
. . Tactical Fighter: Affliction 9 (Vulnerable and Attack Impaired/Defenseless and Attack Disabled; Resisted by Will DC 20; Extra Condition, Reaction 3: Being attacked in melee; Inaccurate: -2, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)

Warmaster - 12pp
. . Lightning Strikes (Multiattack on Strength, 3 extra ranks)
. . Piercing the Fog of War: Senses 1 (Extended Sight x10, Sight Councters Concealment (Environmental Conditions))
. . Weapon Mastery: Damage 2 (Multiattack, Stacks with weapon damage)

Equipment
Camping gear, Linothorax (Chain-mail), Hoplon (Large Wooden Shield), Personal Arsenal (Spear, Sword, Lariat (Whip)), Toolkit (smithing), Tooklit (carpentry)

Offense
Initiative +2
Arrange the Field: Burst Area Teleport Attack (+self) 2 (DC Dog 20)
Grab, +13 (DC Spec 12)
Spear, +13 (DC 22)
Sword, +13 (DC 22)
Tactical Fighter: Affliction 9, +11 (DC Will 19)
Throw, +0 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 17)
Whip, +13 (DC 19)

Languages
Greek

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8/2, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 40 + Advantages 20 + Skills 13 (39 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 150

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2012 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Complications
Amazon Dreams: Pallanthia has heard the myths about the Amazons and longs to find them, and find her place as a woman warrior.
Erophobia: Having been raised as a boy before she set out into the world, Pallanthia had no role model or education on the womanly side of a relationship. She might mingle with men as a fellow soldier, but the first hint of more intimate approaches send her sprawling away.
Outcast: Pallanthia has little to no rights in most kingdoms simply because she's a woman, so she keeps on the move, staying in a single location only long enough to get paid for her services before her gender raises too much of a fuss.
Unwanted: Her treatment by her father left some scars in her psyche. She fears betrayal, abandonment and rejection and may go to some extremes to prevent it.

Appearance
Pallanthia has light olive skin and wavy auburn hair; her build is athletic on the heavy side, and she carries herself with bold, solid movements. Her clothing consists of simple linen tunics and well-worn armor she has hammered to fit her female body better. Her long hair flows from under her helm, but the way she fights make it hard to tell she's a woman until she starts giving orders in a crisp, but mellodious voice.

Personality
Pallanthia is a tomboy through and through, more interested in the activities of men than the traditional role of women. It speaks well of her mental fortitude that she has endured this far against the mores of her society. She has just recently decided to stop hiding her gender, standing defiant by virtue of her matchless martial skills. However, such defiance has left its mark; she has hardened her heart and prefers to keep people at arm's length, only allowing for professional or superficial relationships.

Powers & Abilities
Pallanthia is a skilled soldier, able to master any hand-to-hand weapon with a few moments of practice and make it even more effective than in the hands of another warrior. She fights with canny precision and uses her mind rather than brawn to get through combat. When she started fighting for money, joining militias and fighing alongside others, she began displaying a supernatural gift for warfare. Her superior fighting style can break through most defenses and leave anyone who engages her in combat unable to fight effectively. She can focus her prowess towards group tactics and make anyone fighting on her side into a professional soldier, regardless of training, and by simple movements and commands, she can deploy troops and trick enemies into whatever position and formation she desires. In addition, she's a gifted artisan. Whatever craft she sets out to practice, she can easily achieve the level of skill of seasoned journeymen by sheer talent alone, and with time she can even improvise new creations and tools.

Background
Pallanthia was born in Attica to a disgraced Spartan mercenary and a local weaver. Her father was a drunkard who had little skills to live in a peaceful society, and basically lived off her mother's weaving and some scattered attempts at training the locals into basic fighting techniques. He had paid for an Oracle who told him that his first child would surpass him as a warrior, and that rekindled his pride as a soldier, but when his wife bore him a girl, he grew so angry that he beat her to death.

He ran, but for some reason he took the little babe with him. Settling in another town, her father tried to right his life with only partial success. He raised Pallanthia as a boy, teaching her all he knew about war, but she showed a distinct knack for weaving, which only reminded him of the wife he had murdered, and sometimes beat Pallanthia to keep her from being interested in any of womens' tasks.

He was completely inadequate as a father, but at least he did turn her into a warrior to rival his own skills. Pallanthia's first period marked another change in her life, as it was an undeniable sign that she was not the son that her father had desired, and he ordered her to leave his sight and never return. At least he did let her take his old armor and weapons.

She started travelling disguised as a boy, which was just as well because she didn't know how to behave as a girl. She apprenticed herself to a blacksmith and joined the militia, successfully defending the town from bandits and revealing her mettle as a warrior. She successfully lived in her new home for two years, but her body betrayed her as she grew more shapely and feminine. Fearing for the gods' wrath but grateful for the service she had provided, the town asked her to leave.

Hurt by this betrayal, Pallanthia bound her chest tightly and seldom took her armor off when visiting other towns and cities, passing as a young man. But experience had taught her not to grow roots again, and she kept traveling.

She soon began hearing rumors about monsters attacking outlying villages, and thus began her new career as an itinerant mercenary. She successfully helped villages build better defenses and trained them to be better fighters, but twice her gender was discovered and twice her welcome was worn thin. She was resigned to be an outsider now, and resumed her travels.

She met with a small band of mercenaries who took her in, and surprisingly didn't care that she was a woman, being outcasts themselves. She allowed herself to feel at home again, and even begain to have feelings for one of the other warriors. This happyness would not last, however, as the band was hired to find and kill a gang of bandits around Thessaly, but it turned out that the gang was led by a monster of a man, the first humanoid creature Pallanthia has faced. Her matery in battle allowed her allies to last long enough to kill all the human bandits, but the monster was a very different matter, and when Pallanthia finally sunk her spear into the creature's throat, she was the last one standing.

Alone again, she now knows that darkness is encroaching upon the world. Now proud of being a woman thanks to her fallen comrades, she now fights without hiding who she really is, letting her might speak for itself.
Last edited by Coyotzin on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Nice sheet. Any comments on my stuff?
Impeach the peach!

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Coyotzin, the math on your Warmaster confuses me. could you explain it to me?

Enigmaticone, your sheet is simple yet effective. Its may favorite kind of build.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Hound wrote:Coyotzin, the math on your Warmaster confuses me. could you explain it to me?

Enigmaticone, your sheet is simple yet effective. Its may favorite kind of build.

Thanks. Nothing wrong with the background/personality/complications?
Impeach the peach!

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Hound wrote:Coyotzin, the math on your Warmaster confuses me. could you explain it to me?

There's some mental juggling involved, but it's not too complicated :)

Lightning Strikes = Multiattack applied to Strength 2 = 2 + 3 extra ranks (to apply Multiattack to weapons of up to 3 ranks.) = 5 pp
Weapon Mastery = Damage 2 (Multiattack +1/r) = 4pp - This one adds a +2 bonus to weapon damage, and must have Multiattack.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Nice sheet. Any comments on my stuff?

You can shave a few points by removing some Immunities from Life Support (like food and drink) or make it Half-Effect. Life Support strikes me a bit too much for an organic being, even if his schtick is to resist everything. Also, how did you build your Feat of Strength Array? You could put all of the powers as AEs from his Strength itself, which gives you 26 pp to play with (and as far as I can tell, the array is a base 10pp thanks to the Limited to standing on the ground).

As per the fluff, that's a nice gentle giant concept there :) Although going to the original myths, Herakles was the original berserker and did some pretty heinous things while his judgment was impaired, you might want to leverage that to give him another dimension... or not, whatever you prefer :)

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 am

Denys is an old name derived from Dionysus, I wanted to use it as a head-nod to the primary influence for the character.
Locke is just a cool, old-sounding name I've always liked.

I thought it sounded old and more importantly good, and I'm not sure what a pre-olympian greek name should be without just making up sylables or blatantly ripping off mythological figures.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 am

jemal wrote:Denys is an old name derived from Dionysus, I wanted to use it as a head-nod to the primary influence for the character.
Locke is just a cool, old-sounding name I've always liked.

I thought it sounded old and more importantly good, and I'm not sure what a pre-olympian greek name should be without just making up sylables or blatantly ripping off mythological figures.

Look up a few ancient Greek names for history and you'd get a much better idea.
Impeach the peach!

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 am

Here is a list of ancient greek names. They didn't really use last names. To distinguish one from another, they might place their father's name after theirs, or the town/region.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Coyotzin wrote:
EnigmaticOne wrote:Nice sheet. Any comments on my stuff?

You can shave a few points by removing some Immunities from Life Support (like food and drink) or make it Half-Effect. Life Support strikes me a bit too much for an organic being, even if his schtick is to resist everything. Also, how did you build your Feat of Strength Array? You could put all of the powers as AEs from his Strength itself, which gives you 26 pp to play with (and as far as I can tell, the array is a base 10pp thanks to the Limited to standing on the ground).

As per the fluff, that's a nice gentle giant concept there :) Although going to the original myths, Herakles was the original berserker and did some pretty heinous things while his judgment was impaired, you might want to leverage that to give him another dimension... or not, whatever you prefer :)

Ok two part answer.

Mechanics: I took your point about the Feats of Strength, saved me some points and shifted things about. I'm keeping Life Support, on the grounds that it's a slightly different kind of take. Think of the high Epic Stamina Scions and Gods (from Scion of course) - they technically need food, drinks, sleep, air, but are capable of being able to go without for so long that their definition of need is not on the mortal scale, much less within the confines of this chapter, I imagine.

Hope that makes sense.

Fluff: Indeed. But even a gentle giant can go off if the right tinder is sparked, or judgment is indeed sufficiently impaired. Like I said, the right in-game events should set me up to write the original myths very well. :twisted:
Impeach the peach!

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Jemal, Enigmatic one

I hate to sound selfish, but I was hoping you two could maybe drop the immortal/ageless aspects from your characters?

Enigmatic one, maybe drop it to half effect so you live longer but still age, maybe grab half immune to sleep so you sleep less? I mean he already doesn't eat or drink =p
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Hound wrote:Jemal, Enigmatic one

I hate to sound selfish, but I was hoping you two could maybe drop the immortal/ageless aspects from your characters?

Enigmatic one, maybe drop it to half effect so you live longer but still age, maybe grab half immune to sleep so you sleep less? I mean he already doesn't eat or drink =p

Fine, you selfish scoundrel. :P I turned the Aging into a Feature (Longevity) and made Life Support half effect. I'll leave the 5 pp left over for now.
Impeach the peach!

Return to “M&M Game Room”