Age of Heroes - Chapter 2: Gods & Monsters (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Re: Age of Heroes - Gods & Monsters (RECRUITING NEW PLAYERS!

Postby Coyotzin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Pallanthia isn't pretty either. Just charismatic :)

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes (Chapter 2 RECRUITING 4 - 6 NEW PLAYERS!!!

Postby roguescribner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Coyotzin wrote:You kind of lost me there until I realized you were starting with the assumption that targets run the risk of being disoriented by default... which is what I'm trying to argue you out of, because your house-ruling is what's making the power more complicated than it needs to be :) You're actually giving me a HUGE advantage, basically adding a Linked Affliction effect to my power, of which I could simply reduce one rank in order to give it Selective, thus allowing me to teleport foes and not only putting them at the edge of a cliff ready to be pushed, but they could also be Vulnerable and/or Unaware. You're giving me that effect for free.

You ever jump so far down the rabbit hole that you no longer know which way is up? You're right: I'm going beyond what is stated in the book, bringing my own narrative bias into how things should work. So, this is me taking a step back and taking a deep breath. *whew*

The reason I put Subtle and Insidious is that the effect will not look strange to the targets and to onlookers. Subtle assures that nobody (or few) can tell that an effect went off, while Insidious keeps targets from freaking out that they are not where they were a moment before, considering their new position as natural. For example, the famous Jedi Mind Trick is both Subtle and Insidious: the stormtrooper does not cry in alarm after the effect passes because he never realized he was under an effect (Insidious), and all the other stormtroopers never questioned why their comrade was parroting the words from that crazy old man (Subtle). So, targets of an Insidious Teleport attack don't realize they were teleported, but its undeniable that they are not where they were a moment ago, so... maybe they moved there in the heat of battle? Subtle means that onlookers think so too :).

That clears things up for me nicely, thank you.

I think a more appropriate limiter would be on the movement itself, such as "Can only end at a location the target could reach with normal movement modes" (a 1pp Quirk). Or maybe even add "Distance limited to target's speed" (maybe combined for 2pp Quirk? :) ).

So let's start fresh. My narrative desire to have an effect do something "logical" but beyond the scope of the written mechanics is what got us in this mess. I sometimes over think things (can you tell?). I don't want to complicate things further by adding a limiter other than to say that everyone must occupy their own "5 ft square" so people cannot be stacked upon one another or stepping halfway off a cliff, and they cannot be raised into the air and left to drop. Fair?

Agreed with all the other points, so I'll edit my sheet once we resolve the above thorny issue (really, I'm protecting you from myself ;) ).

Thank you. :mrgreen:
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am

roguescribner wrote: I don't want to complicate things further by adding a limiter other than to say that everyone must occupy their own "5 ft square" so people cannot be stacked upon one another or stepping halfway off a cliff, and they cannot be raised into the air and left to drop. Fair?

Fair, and I'm not even adding it as a Quirk :)

The two flaws in Battle Command reduced the cost of the power below a certain line, so I took one rank from the Area Burst so that the array is 26-pp base. I could afford another advantage for Battle Command, Second Chance: Any form of immobilization. That freed 2pp, which I put into Piercing the Fog of War, and now Pallanthia's sight can Counter Concealment (environmental effects).

Changes are here.

Storm Vermin
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Storm Vermin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:33 am

Here's my character. He is a Zeus-type guy - a weather controller. I'm still working on the background, but the gist of it is that he is a noble-born adventurer, and aside from lightning-flinging, his main talents are oratory.

Aewes of Crete
PL 10

Abilities (44 pp):
Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Skills (18 pp):
Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise (Politics) 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 12 (+16), Ranged Combat (Lightning Bolt) 4 (+8),

Advantages (11 pp):
All-out Attack, Connected, Fascinate (Persuasion),Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Lightning Bolt) 2, Improved Initiative, Inspire 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Well-Informed

Powers (51 pp):
Lord of Thunder
Lightning Bolt (Ranged Damage 12; Penetrating 12)
AE: Blinding Arc (Ranged Visual Dazzle 12; Extra Condition (Auditory))
AE: Chain Lightning (Burst Area Damage 10; Selective)
AE: Wind Blast (Cone Area Move Object 10; Close Range, Limited to Pushing Away)
AE: Whirlwind (Deflect 10, Cloud Area 2 (30-foot radius), Limited to Attacks Targeting Dodge)
AE: Control Weather (Environment 6 (Cold 2, Impede Movement, Visibility 2); Selective)

Wind Screen (Sustained Protection 6)
Immunity 2 (Normal Weather)
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation – Weather)

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +6, Close Damage 2
Lightning Bolt +8, Ranged Damage 12

Defenses (26 pp):
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 10, Fortitude 10, Will 10

Power Points:
Abilities 44 + Skills 18 + Advantages 11 + Powers 51 + Defenses 26 = Total 150

Complications:

Motivation (Fame): Aewes wants to be immortalized in tales and songs. This may cause him to do foolish things in order to gain glory and renown.
Temper: Aewes is easily angered by people opposing him, and he can hold a grudge for a very long time.
Womanizer: There is little the Cretan won’t do for a beautiful woman.

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:59 am

Packing for my honeymoon today, so might not get updated up until tomorrow, but here are some answers

roguescribner wrote:Skills seem to be off. Non-combat skills: 63 ranks, 21 pp / Combat skills: 12 ranks, 6 pp / 27 pp total The good news is that it seems to be simply listed incorrectly. The cost jives with the rest of the points spent.

Ok, I will give them another look just to make sure, as I will be changing some around.

roguescribner wrote:Everyone is so pretty in this game. :wink:

I might lower this to 1 rank, my Pre was originally -1, because she has spent most of her life in the wild, suffered a recent tragedy, and has been a wanderer ever since, so social graces are not one of her strong points, but I wanted her to be physically attractive. I only raised Pre when I had some points left over, may relower it and spend them elsewhere.

roguescribner wrote:What's the descriptor for this power?

Also, it doesn't appear you have any arrays. I think you could save some points by grouping some effects together, like Bow with Environmental Control or Morph with Comprehend and/or Concealment. Just a thought.

I may add variable descriptor here, was originally going to be undergrowth, but that would only work in wildlands, perhaps small animals running around their feet for more urban surroundings.

I don't think I will array anything with the Bow, as it is a device, but I may array some of the others.

roguescribner wrote:
Nice background. Your skills are good, but I feel like for this type of character she should have at least one skill she really excels at (Athletics or Deception would be good picks). You chose Agile Feint but your Acrobatics and Deception are virtually identical in rank. I'd probably stick with Deception and get rid of the Agile Feint, lower your Acrobatics a bit and free up some points for elsewhere. Or, if you don't plan to use disguises and lies a lot in game, do the opposite. Also, you have a sword but your close combat skill bonus goes towards unarmed attacks. Just thought I'd point that out.

I had one last comment, but I can't remember it now. If I think of it, I'll let you know. :P

Deception came sort of as an afterthought, when I was done picking powers. She lived most of her life pretending to be male, and had a secret relationship, so it seemed an obvious choice, but I don't see her using it too much anymore, plus at those ranks she could easily lie her way out of almost anything against commoners (PL 1-2), so I will probably lower that a bit and focus more on Acro. Also, Dah, completely missed that, will fix it.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:34 am

Okay, we have six submissions so far. It's enough for me to work with, but I'd like to try to get a couple of more in if people are still interested. So I'll leave recruitment open until midnight ET on Monday the 29th. As long as you have a concept submitted by then, I'll permit you to finish your build after the deadline. That way I can tidy everything up next week and make my selections and get the game going over that following weekend.

Sound good?

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 am

Storm Vermin wrote:Aewes of Crete
PL 10

Abilities (44 pp):
Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Skills (18 pp):
Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise (Politics) 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 12 (+16), Ranged Combat (Lightning Bolt) 4 (+8),

I like your expertise. I'll try to make that useful if you're selected. :)

Powers (51 pp):
Lord of Thunder

Extra condition or extra sense?

Defenses (26 pp):
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 10, Fortitude 10, Will 10

Not a complaint, but a comment: I always find it a little strange when defenses all have the same rank across the board unless the character is a robot or something. A little variation keeps things interesting, IMO.

Complications:
Motivation (Fame): Aewes wants to be immortalized in tales and songs. This may cause him to do foolish things in order to gain glory and renown.
Temper: Aewes is easily angered by people opposing him, and he can hold a grudge for a very long time.

Here's my character. He is a Zeus-type guy - a weather controller. I'm still working on the background, but the gist of it is that he is a noble-born adventurer, and aside from lightning-flinging, his main talents are oratory.

Pretty good start. Nice clean build. I look forward to the background. :)

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:11 am

Coyotzin wrote:The two flaws in Battle Command reduced the cost of the power below a certain line, so I took one rank from the Area Burst so that the array is 26-pp base. I could afford another advantage for Battle Command, Second Chance: Any form of immobilization. That freed 2pp, which I put into Piercing the Fog of War, and now Pallanthia's sight can Counter Concealment (environmental effects).

Changes are here.

Don't forget to arrange your advantages for the Battle Command in the order of priority in case your check doesn't cover the full range. Otherwise, I think we're done. :)

@ Mr.Sandman, I look forward to your updates.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:18 am

roguescribner wrote:Don't forget to arrange your advantages for the Battle Command in the order of priority in case your check doesn't cover the full range. Otherwise, I think we're done. :)

They are :) Note how they are not alphabetically sorted, and there's "Takedown 1" and a few advantages over there's "Takedown 2" :) They are still alphabetical in the Advantages entry, because that mixes her native, bonus and power-gained Advantages :) They all come behind the Insight bonus.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes - Gods & Monsters (RECRUITING TIL 7/29!!!)

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 am

I see that now. Ty

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes (Chapter 2 RECRUITING NEW PLAYERS!!!)

Postby roguescribner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 pm

jemal wrote:
I just want to clarify that Area Burst 2. That's a 60 ft radius; 120 ft in diameter. That's almost half a football in area of effect and you don't have Selective. If you're out in the wide open spaces of Greece and no innocents are around, you'll be fine. But anywhere else and you may run into unintended consequences. Just be aware.

Yes. I've gone through several thoughts about this.
My first thought was that it's already an Area effect progressive mind control attack, so there should be some downside.
My second was that, like most of his powers, It was designed for non-combat purposes first, and the theme here was "When he says Party, EVERYBODY parties".
Finally, I wanted to ask if you'd accept a custom limit to pay for selective so it's actually combat usable..
As referenced above, I want it to be a 'make people party' kinda thing, not full-on mind control. Would you allow a limit for him not having real control over them? Generally speaking, those affected by 'party time' want to please the 'party god'.. and most of the time that means party, but he can also - on occasion - convince his 'partiers' to do specific things for him.
Essentially, if they are compelled/controlled, YOU decide what they do (under the general auspices of 'party'), but he can try to give them commands (Say a move action persuasion check?). Kind of a combination of 'check required' and 'uncontrolled'?

I think a solution would be to add Limited Degree and then Selective. The cost balances and then you'll be able to choose who you want it to affect while keeping your degree of control limited. So people can perform one action of your choice which can be "party" or whatever. I'd rather not take control of the power unless it's for a specific plot reason.

-AP:Intoxicating Touch: 27 + 13 = 40pp
--Affliction 8(Fort, Progressive+2, Insidious, Subtle 2) *3/rank+3=27pp*
*Conditions: Impaired, Disabled, Transformed*
--Weaken Awareness 8(Fort, Insidious, Subtle 2, Accurate 2): 13pp

I don't see the attack/damage/dc listed for this power under Offenses. Also, I don't quite get what it's supposed to do. Could you explain the overall effect, please? If it's supposed to emulate drunkenness, wouldn't a better third condition be Impaired or Unaware?

I probably just missed it, will fix that. *EDIT: I forgot to change it, It was originally an affliction called 'drunken stupor'.
It gets people drunk (Weakening awareness lowers perception, insight, and will save - all of which makes sense for 'getting drunk'), and the transformation I wanted to talk to you about.

I don't want the transformed state to be a knockout. I'd like it to be them being about as plastered as can be while still standing. As with other abilities, it's designed for noncombat uses as well, and I don't want people I'm trying to get drunk to fall unconscious. The "transformed" is basically 'transformed into a happy, partying drunk'. Alternately I could've gone with "controlled" similar to the 'party time' ability previous, whichever works best for you.

Transformed typically deals with reassigning or removing traits. If you're simply trying to affect behavior, controlled is probably the better way to go. But then it could seem too similar to your Drunken Madness power. It'd probably be a better idea to go with Impaired or Unaware for the third degree effect.

I misunderstood the limit on Illusion, but I think I get it now. It's a range limiter, correct? Linked powers must have the same range and this would solve that. Okay.

Yes, it's designed so that everybody within the area is affected, but not those outside. It's primarily for roleplaying and revelry (Like much of his stuff), but does have combat utility.

Okay.

Immunity is against environmental heat and cold, correct?

Yes, the chain mail protects him from hot and cold environments.
PS, on that note, part of the forthcoming finished background includes some of his previous exploits explaining how and why he has the gear he has.

Okay.

Could you expound on your complications, please? And possibly add some. Your background starts to flesh the character out with a family and friends, ties to a little farming community, but none of that is shown in your complications. Do you have responsibilities or relationships or motivations that could be maybe be added?

I haven't checked math or anything, but for now the build looks good overall. It just needs some more detail here and there.

Yeah, the complications and background are still under construction. I was focused on getting the bones up so you could tell me if there was any problems with the mechanics/powers, as background fixes are much simpler.

Looking forward to the updated info.

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am

Updated:

Amyntas/ Korinna
PL 10 150 pp

Abilities 30
Str 2
Sta 2
Agl 4
Dex 4
Fgt 2
Int 0
Awe 2
Pre -1

Defenses 20
Dodge 10
Parry 8
Fort 5
Will 6
Toughness 10

Skills 25
Acrobatics 4+9=13
Athletics 2+6=8
Blades 2+6=8
Ex. Wilderness 0+12=12
Ex. Religion 0+9=9
Perception 1+9=10
Archery 4+6=10
Stealth 4+6=10
Deception -1+6=5

Advantages 21
Animal Empathy
Accurate Attack
Agile Feint
Attractive 1
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 6
Evasion
Favored Environment Woodlands
Improved Aim
Improved Initiative
Move by Action
Precise Attack (Ranged vs Cover)
Quick Draw
Tracking
Equipment 1
Skill Mastery Acrobatics

Equipment: Sword (Damage 3), Studded Leather vest (protection 2)

Powers

Comprehend Animals 2 (4 pp)
Concealment vs Normal vision limited to woodlands (2 pp)
Bow (Ranged damage 10, easily removable) (12 pp)
Environmental Control 2 (Impede movement 2/rank, Variable Descriptor) (5 pp)
AE Speed 4 (1 pp)
Immune Disease and Poison (2 pp)
Morph 3 (Animals) (15 pp)
Sure Footed (2 pp)
Trackless Visual, Auditory, Olfactory (6 pp)
Direction Sense (1 pp)
Low Light Vision (1 pp)
Tracking Visual 2 (2 pp)
Acute Smell (1 pp)

The woman who is now known as Korinna was born in Aetolia to a priestess of Gaia and a Hunter. Her father had wanted a male, and she so she was named Amyntas, and disguised as one. When she was old enough to hold a bow, her father taught her his craft. Living in the woods made it easier to hide her true identity, but as she got older it became easy to see that they would not be able to hide her identity for long. To make matters worse, at the age of twelve strange things began happening around her. One day, a single shot from her bow blew straight through a deer and out the other side. She became stealthier, and even became capable of speaking with animals. At the age of 16 her family moved to a city, offering her fathers services to the military, while she lent her hunting abilities. It was during her time there that she found herself romantically attracted to females, and fell in love with a farmers daughter. Their secret relationship lasted for three years, until the entire city was massacred by strange beasts. Since that day she has hunted the creatures. Due to her attractiveness, many of the men she encounters on her hunt try to woo her, but are invariably rejected, leading to her being known as The Maiden Huntress, despite its inaccuracy. She has accepted this name as her own, as she never stays in one place for long enough for her true name to matter.

Name: Korinna (The Maiden)
Other names: The Maiden Huntress, The Huntress, The Maiden, The Moonlight Huntress, Amyntas.
Age 21
Goddess: Artemis.

Storm Vermin
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Storm Vermin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Here's Aewes, now complete with the backstory (and a small change in the build).

Aewes of Crete
PL 10

Abilities (44 pp):

Skills (20 pp):
Athletics 5 (+7), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise (Politics) 8 (+10), Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 12 (+16), Ranged Combat (Lightning Bolt) 4 (+8),

Advantages (11 pp):
All-out Attack, Connected, Fascinate (Persuasion),Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Lightning Bolt) 2, Improved Initiative, Inspire 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Well-Informed

Powers (53 pp):
Lord of Thunder
AE: Chain Lightning (Burst Area Damage 10; Selective)
AE: Wind Blast (Cone Area Move Object 10; Close Range, Limited to Pushing Away)
AE: Whirlwind (Deflect 10, Cloud Area 2 (30-foot radius), Limited to Attacks Targeting Dodge)
AE: Control Weather (Environment 6 (Cold 2, Impede Movement, Visibility 2); Selective)

Wind Screen (Sustained Protection 8 )
Immunity 2 (Normal Weather)
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation – Weather)

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +6, Close Damage 2
Lightning Bolt +8, Ranged Damage 12

Defenses (22 pp):
Dodge 8, Parry 8
Toughness 12, Fortitude 10, Will 10

Power Points:
Abilities 44 + Skills 20 + Advantages 11 + Powers 53 + Defenses 22 = Total 150

Complications:

Background:
Aewes was born into a powerful and prominent noble family. His youth was relatively happy and care-free – he spent most of his time exploring the island of his birth, travelling for days through the mountains, forests and valleys of Crete. Between his escapades, the boy was educated in the art of rhetoric, combat and other skills required of a high-born youth. Aewes sometimes found the lessons boring, but he never complained, knowing full well that they were all for his good. The Cretan would probably have lead an unremarkable, comfortable life, were it not for his abilities.

In his teens, Aewes discovered that he could control the clouds in the sky and cause light breeze. Initially, he used this talent to impress his friends or girls. This ability slowly developed, to the point Aewes could call upon powerful gales and even lightning. He tried to keep those aspects of his powers secret, fearing the reaction they might cause. But, one day, a tragedy struck. A lumbering monstrosity emerged from the sea near the Aewes’s family estate and started a rampage. Ordinary weapons proved ineffective against the creature, arrows and spears simply bouncing of its thick hide. In an act of desperation, Aewes brought the fury of the sky against the monster, and after a lengthy struggle, drove it back into the depths.

The people of Crete hailed Aewes as a hero. The young man himself was changed by the victory – both the heady rush of fighting for his life and the adoration of the masses afterwards were unlike anything he felt before. However, he would have been content to stay on Crete and fight any threats to the island, had it not been for his father. The head of Aewes’s family was a cunning, ambitious man, and he saw his son’s abilities as just another weapon in the struggle for political power. He planned to attack and wipe out his rival nobles and their families. Aewes was horrified by this scheme, and struck out in anger against his father, wounding him severely. Accused of attempted patricide, the Cretan had to flee his homeland. Looking back to the day he defeated the sea giant, Aewes decided to travel the Greece in search of glorious battles and eternal fame. Throughout the years, he found out that quick wit and honeyed words can be just as useful as a well placed bolt of lightning.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes - Gods & Monsters (Recruitment Closed)

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:24 pm

I've had a long day, so I'll start reviewing the builds tomorrow for any last minute adjustments and then the we'll get this puppy on the road.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Age of Heroes - Gods & Monsters (Recruitment Closed)

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 pm

roguescribner wrote:I've had a long day, so I'll start reviewing the builds tomorrow for any last minute adjustments and then the we'll get this puppy on the road.

Wait. Does that mean we're all in, including Hound?
Impeach the peach!

Return to “M&M Game Room”