Age of Heroes - Chapter 2: Gods & Monsters (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes (Recruiting til Saturday 2/25)

Postby roguescribner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 pm

@ optionqb

If you unlink the protection from your Thorn Field, treat your DC modifier as a quirk instead of a flaw and add another flaw to the power to get your pp in line (I suggested Side-Effect, but whatever you're comfortable with), then I think we'll be in agreement. You'll still have one pp left over which is why I threw in that alt attack for you, but you can spend that how you wish.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm

I updated my powers and adjusted my pps. It's late and I'll complete my background tomorrow morning.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Everything build-wise looks good, optionqb. I look forward to the complications and background. :)

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am

Ok, I added some background info as well as a motivation and complication. Being so young, she really doesn't have a lengthy, complicated history.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Re: Age of Heroes (Recruiting)

Postby Gazman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 am

roguescribner wrote:Thanks for the updates. Everything looks good. I plugged everything into HeroLab and it looks like you have a remainder for your EP (26ep total. which leaves you 4 ep to spend) plus an additional pp. The numbers on your build for powers and advantages seem one off from what I'm calculating. Without knowing what you have cost-wise for each trait, it's hard for me to pinpoint where the discrepancy is. But I'm pretty sure I input everything correctly, so you should have 4ep remaining (which you can save as floating ep) and another pp besides.

If you can shave off an ep point, that'll give you 2pp to spend to up the rank of your Lightning Strikes. Just a thought.

I did the build in HeroLab originally. I spent 20ep. 8 for the arsenal array, 7 for the chariot, 1 for the armor, and 4 for the shield. The 10 advantages are Agile Feint, Close Attack 1, Fearless, Great Endurance, Redirect, Uncanny Dodge, and Equipment 4. Anything else is part of the 19 point Quick Like the Wind. 15 enhanced traits, 3 speed, and 1 alt of speed. The skills might look wrong because I couldn't set them all to 1/3 because I had to buy bow skill at full cost. I just used the 6 pp you said I was due to buy Lightning Strikes. That and Whirlwind Blows for 6 makes 12 for Storm Warrior altogether.

I hope this clarifies everything, but if you still think I have more pp, I'll be glad to spend them.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I PM'd a few players about completing their submissions. I'd like to make my picks this weekend if possible. Recruiting is still open for a couple of more days if anyone else wishes to join in.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

@ Gazman

The equipment breakdown I show is:

Bow - 6ep
Spear - 4ep
Sword - 4ep

Leather Armor - 1ep
Medium Wooden Shield - 4ep

Chariot - 7ep

Except for the Chariot, those values are all pre-built items in Hero Lab and the costs match the DCA book. So that would be a total of 26ep or 6 ranks of the Equipment advantage since 26 ÷ 5 = 5.2. So you have 4ep unspent for the power points that you've used already.

Aside from that, I've gone over everything again and still show you have 1pp left to spend, so with my permission, please spend it. :wink:

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Ahti
Also the name of Hippo Goddess

History:
Ahti's father is a less-than prosperous merchant. Where he lacked in commerce, he made up for in potence in the bedroom. Ahti's mother was pregnant almost continuously, giving Ahti a plethora of siblings. Unfortunately, the family was not wealthy enough to support so many mouths, and Ahti's parents had to make tough choices. Many of Ahti's siblings have been forced to work at a young age. Or, when times were especially tough, some of Ahti's brothers and sisters were sent into indentured servitude to satisfy some debt.

Although unlucky enough to be taken as an indentured servant, Ahti was very fortunate to find herself given to the Pharaoh's daughter as a Handmaiden. Ahti has served the Pharina faithfully for several months, while remaining oblivious to palace politics. Over the past few weeks, Ahti has begun to hear whispers urging her to... do things.

She is currently 15.

Personality & Motivation:
Ahti is a particularly virtuous child. She does not have base thoughts, she is mild mannered, and always thinks of others before thinking of herself.

We'll just see how long that lasts...

Complications:
Servitude Although Ahti is technically a free woman, in all but name she is a slave. Her servitude is owned by the Pharaoh's household, until it is paid... which means never.
Evil Vizier Ahti's doe eyes, smooth limbs and lithe, nubile form has caught the eye of one of the Pharaoh's advisers. He is old and somewhat rancid (in both olfactory and moral senses), and Ahti is too naive to understand his innuendo. He has implied that his patronage could improve her families lot... and declining to befriend him could cause them additional hardship. Ahti fails to see a causal link. He would have bent her over a barrel of figs long ago, if not for fear of upsetting the Pharina.
Speaking of the Pharaoh's daughter... Gravity is a harsh mistress. But the Pharina is.... just plain.... mean. Ow!
A friend like this. The rising darkness in Ahti makes her dangerous to be around. You always hurt the ones you love, and Ahti loves everyone.
Thicker than Blood Ahti comes from a very large pool of brothers and sisters (a virtually limitless supply). Each and every one is a potential lever against her, most likely to be grabbed by the odious Vizier.

Description:
Ahti is a delicious little tidbit, with eyes as wide as the Nile. She has a tattoo of the Pharina's mark on the back of her neck, the symbol for the God Ra on her right wrist, and the Goddess Nut on her left wrist.

Alternate Identity: Not Applicable
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 99#
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown

PL8 PP120

Abilities [4]
Strength 0
Stamina 2
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 0
Intellect 0
Awareness 0
Presence 0

Combat: [14]
Initiative 0
Dodge 10 (zero flat footed)
Parry 10 (zero flat footed0
Toughness 2 (6 in Alternate Form)
Fortitude 5 (+7)
Will 9

Advantages: [3]
Attractive
Benefit: Property of the Pharina
Luck 1

Skills: [4]
House Rule: Non-combat Skills are 3 ranks per 1pp
Expertise: Current Events 3
Expertise: Etiquette 3
Perception: 3
Persuasion: 3

Powers: [95]
Shadowy Influence 23
Enhanced Traits (Parry 10, Dodge 10, Sustained )
Eyes if Night (Dark Vision, Danger Sense (sight))

Mistress of Shadows [15 +6AP]
Side Effect: Every power in this Array has an Affliction side effect.
Stage I: Affliction 8 (Resisted by Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled.)
Whispers of the Dark Power urge her to use it to cause great harm
Stage II: Affliction 8 (Resisted by Will: Dazed/Immobile/Transformed.)
Should Ahti become Controlled, the Dark Power can begin to effect long lasting changes. Every time she is Afflicted with a Transform result, she acquires a dark character trait. There is a progression from most innocuous (deceitful, lascivious) to the abhorent (vengeful) to the monstrous (cannibal).
Quirk: Power Loss -Ahti cannot use this array in her Alternate Form,

Concealment 4 (All Visual, Extras: Affects Others, Area, Selective) [15]
AP* Flight 8 (Anubis' Barge; Extras: Affects Others, Shapeable Area, Flaw: Platform)
AP* Damage 8 (Lance of Night; Extra: Ranged, Feats: Accurate 4, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical, Incurable)
AP* Damage 8 (Breath of Sobek, Extra: Secondary Effect, Feats: Accurate 4, Increased Reach, Subtle, Penetrating 3, Quirk: Does not affect objects)
AP* Affliction 8 (Umbra, Resisted by Fortitude, Extra: Cone Area, Selective; Impaired/Blinded/Unaware)
AP* Affliction 8 (Dark Compulsion, Resisted by Will, Extra: Perception; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled)
AP* Mind Reading 8 (Eyes of Thoth, Extra: Cumulative)

The Beast is Ready to Devour (Alternate Form 17) [51]
Limited Use: Ahti must be agitated to assume her monstrous form; self-afflicted Compulsion is a good indicator, alternatively a Wound condition.
Limited Use: The portion of Ahti's psyche that is still virtuous will continuously rebel against assuming, or remaining in this form. Once this form is assumed, Ahti must make a Will Save vs. DC 27. Success means she immediately reverts to human form. Alternatively, she will remain in this Avatar of Darkness form for 1 round for every round the save was failed by.
Complication Many of the powers in this form are as harmful to Ahti's allies as they are to her enemies. Also, this form is predisposed to delight in harming others -regardless of whether they are friends or foes.

Damage 8 (Accurate 4, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical, Incurable)
AP* Enhanced Strength 8
Toughness 4
Regeneration 10 (Flaw: Vampiric. Ahti cannot Regenerate more Wound COnditions than she has Caused in the last Two rounds)
Speed 6 (Enhanced Feats: Instant Up, Move by Action, Takedown 2)
AP* Flight 6 (Flaw: Gliding, Enhanced Feats: Move by Action, Precise, Takedown 2)

Heart of Darkness (Affliction 8, Resisted by Fortitude, Extras: Reaction, Burst Area; Flaws: Limited Degree, Permanent, Sense Dependent -Hearing: Fatigued/Disabled)
When Darkness has ahold of Ahti, the dreadful thud of her inhuman heart can be heard at quite a distance. The reverberations can be felt in the most primitive centers of the brain, which govern fear... and also in the pit of the stomach, which governs defecation in abject terror.
Howling of the Black Wind (Affliction 8, Extras: Resisted by Dodge, Reaction, Burst Area; Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited Use: Ground Movement, Permanent: Impaired/Prone)
A palpable force projects outward from "Dark Ahti," that buffets and batters friend and foe alike. Dark shadows ripple in this unseen wind.
Visage of Madness (Affliction 8, Resisted by Will, Extras: Reaction, Burst Area; Flaws: Limited Degree, Permanent, Sense Dependent -Sight: Dazed/Compelled )
Someone with a strong will, and good night vision would see that Ahti's actual appearance hasn't changed at all as the Avatar of Darkness. However, imagination driven by terror will cause people to see her grow in stature, limbs sheathed in scales, terrible claws, and soul-less eyes.
Last edited by Lord Fell on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:43 am

...already thought of stuff I'm going to need to change. Consider that a next-to-final draft.
:roll:

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 am

I'll post my notes as soon as I can.

ZetaGilgamesh
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ZetaGilgamesh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Tath - PL 8

Strength 8/2, Stamina 8/2, Agility 6/2, Dexterity 5/2, Fighting 8/2, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Favored Environment: Desert, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Throwing Mastery

Skills
Athletics 2 (+10), Expertise: Engineering 2 (+2), Expertise: Stonecutting 3 (+3), Perception 2 (+4)

Powers
Blade of Entropy: Transform 7 (eternity, Affects: Broad > 1 Thing - Non-living material > Air, Transforms: 800 lbs., DC 17; Increased Mass 3)
Running: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Strength of Stone: Enhanced Trait 50 (Traits: Strength +6 (+8), Agility +4 (+6), Dexterity +3 (+5), Stamina +6 (+8), Fighting +6 (+8))

Offense
Initiative +6
Blade of Entropy: Transform 7, +8 (DC Dog 17)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 18)
Throw, +5 (DC 24)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 23)

Complications
Hatred: Hatred and fear. The taskmasters of the Pharaoh enforced the time table set by the priests and the living god of the Nile. Tath and his family were safe from death because their skills were so specialized, however the laborers that they worked with on a daily basis were not. The taskmaster's cruel and capricious enforcement of discipline caused runnels of blood to soak the sides of the pyramid in an almost daily occurance.
Power Loss: When out of contact with the ground, Tath loses his powers. This is not as simple as someone lifting him off of the ground, however. If there is some unbroken connection between the ground and Tath, he retains his powers. Thus if he is being held off of the ground, sits in a tree, or is hanging from a rope, he retains his powers. If he is in water, even a small puddle, the film of water breaks his contact with the earth. If he is airborne, perhaps from falling off a cliff, and he is struck in mid-air, he has no powers. If he impacts the ground, the moment he touches the earth, his powers return and he impacts at full strength. If he impacts water, then he would suffer the normal injury of an unpowered human.
Relationship: Father: Gad, son of Molak, son of Bael son of Gath. For seven generations the men of his family have learned the sacred arts of construction, the shaping of stone and the building of great monuments. Tath fears that he will not rise to this legacy and constantly seeks to build the strength required to work with stone and wood and learn everything that his father can teach him of its shaping.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 79 + Advantages 5 + Skills 3 (9 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 120

The sharp crack of splitting stone woke Tath. He groaned and rolled off his pallet and padded out of the modest stone dwelling, past the sullenly glowing embers of the supper fire and into the cool, clear night. The pure light of the stars gracing Nut’s body swirled like liquid silver across the flat granite expanse of the quarry floor. Some distance away, near the quarry wall, his father was working, a torch held by a worker providing illumination. Several quarry workers stood nearby, sledgehammers in hand.

Tath groaned as he saw his father pick up the chisel once more and begin working on a second cut. He almost wanted to stop, turn around, and return to his pallet. The great work had been finished only a few days. A few blessed days of silence in the quarry where once tens of tens of tens of men had worked unceasingly, cutting the great blocks for the pyramid, now only he and his father remained. Tath had learned much about the cutting and shaping of stone, but he still could not read it in the same way that his father did, reading the flaws, knowing how to make the stone want to break free of its own accord. It was magical to see him work, and one day Tath would take up his drill and spikes in his father’s place. Thankfully, that day was not today.

Gad was kneeling next to his first cut, his face placed close against the stone. Tath grimaced as he walked up, his father was pressing the good side of his face into the stone. The sliced cheek and empty eye-socket where a taskmaster whip had caught him were shadowed pockets in the torchlight. It was eerie the way that the dancing flame made the shadow jump in that hollowed eye, as if it had been filled with squirming darkness.

Hearing the scuff of Tath’s feet against the unfinished stone, Gad sat up and looked at him. “My son,” he said, “Come here and know this stone.”

Tath, kneeled and then pressed his cheek into the stone, feeling its texture and looking closely at the grain. “Father, I may be wrong, but I think that there is a…curve in the grain of the stone, as if a wave was frozen in time. We cannot use this stone for building, it will not support the weight.”

Gad smiled at Tath, a flash of white in the torchlight. “My son, you read the stone as a scribe reads words. There is a curve to the heart of the stone. Ptah has put this here because we will need it soon. This stone is only useful for temple monuments. The curve of the stone allows for even color over the face of a statue.”

He stood, retrieved the chisel, wedges and sledge and returned.

“It is time for you to learn to free the stone on your own. I will watch,” and he handed the iron tools to Tath.

Honor settled on his shoulders like a warm mantle, pride graced his brow and fear settled in his stomach like a lump of burning lead. “I will free the stone father,” he answered, suddenly wishing that he was somewhere else. Observing the rituals let him focus. He checked his chisel, looking for damage and wear that might cause it to fail and injure him. He checked the wedges, feeling their weight in turn and looking for cracks in their broad faces Finally he looked at the sledge. Once this was done, his mind and spirit were calm. He returned to the rock. He lay against it, observing it, feeling its ka against his cheek.

He knew where to make the cut. He placed the chisel and waved the men over. Three hammers slammed into the chisel, and he turned the tool slightly, then again three strikes of the hammers. Slowly, the wroght iron chisel dug into the rock until a hands-breadth had sunk into its face. Tath removed the chisel and placed it in the next drilling location, spacing out the holes the distance between his outstretched thumb and small finger. The air rung with the clips of metal on stone. The men rotated out as they tired, and the stars moved across Nut’s body above them. Finally, he stood, stretched and looked at his work. The line of holes was a nearly perfect straight line, several rods in length, and matching the grain of the stone.

He picked up the sledge and wedges and began pounding them into the holes. They fit snuggly. He administered a blow to each wedge in sequence, forcing them into the holes. Slam, shuffle, slam, shuffle, slam, shuffle, back to the first wedge, slam, shuffle. His arms burned, but he kept hammering. Suddenly there was a crack, and the stone split away from the quarry wall, a smooth, perfectly proportioned cut.

Tath grinned and sat next to his father, exhausted.

“It feels like Ptah has blessed your work this night, my son. That was a worthy cut.”

Tath’s heart sung to the words of praise. He had honored his father’s teachings and tools with his work this night. While he was not ready to take his father’s place, he felt that he was living up to what his father expected of him He was a shaper of stone.
Last edited by ZetaGilgamesh on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

I was out and about longer than I thought I would be today, so I haven't had the chance to look at anything yet. So comments will be forthcoming tomorrow! :)

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:46 pm

@ Lord Fell,

I sent you a PM with some questions.

@ ZetaGilgamesh

Thank you for your update. Everything looks in order.

This isn't a problem so much as a question for you: Since you do not have any ranged attacks or skills that use DEX to speak of, do you think it would be a good idea to decrease your enhanced DEX rank by 2 and increase your enhanced FGT by two?

If you do that and lower your Parry by 2 ranks to stay within PL, your close attack bonus will be +8 and you'll have 2pp to spend. Since your Transform and unarmed attack are both undercapped by one, you could add the close attack advantage for 1pp to bring their attack checks both up to PL (still leaving you with 1pp to spend) or increase your enhanced STR by one and bring the unarmed damage up to PL.

Just a thought.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Age of Heroes (Pending Selections)

Postby roguescribner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Once Lord Fell answers my PM, I will begin the selection process.

I want to thank everyone in advance for their submissions. Choosing won't be easy. :)

Return to “M&M Game Room”