Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e

Post by sweetja713 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Teleporting is something I'd look closely at as it may be hard to fit the theme but I can certainly be persuaded by a good character concept. It might make sense for someone sidestepping through the umbra but I feel it would be difficult for most concepts

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:49 pm

The character that I'm trying to build is a blessed gunslinger, something of a bounty-hunter/US marshal type, not only tasked to bring human varmits to justice, but the unnatural ones as well. Well, here is the first draft

NAME: Cassandra White
CONCEPT: Blessed Gunslinger/US Marshal
HGT: 5ft 6inches
BUILD: Slender
HAIR: Flaming Red
EYES: Blue
Quote: US Marshals! YA'll had bettah ceese an deesist ya'lls cussed behaveyah aforn AH get mad!

BACKSTORY
Well t'begin with mah name is Cassandra White. While ah was on a train bound fer San Fran, there were this bright flash of light. Time seemed to kinda stop fer me and this fella came to me. He was dressed like a cowboy, but all in white, cept for a black duster and cowboy hat, like some dime-store novel writer's idear of a good-guy gunslinger.

He smiled at me and then I knew. "Time's up Cassandra White. The world ain't full of roses and sugar, tea and buskets an there be things that go bump in tha night, bad things that need tah be stopped. We're pickin you to be the one to stop it. You got it in you, to see the wrong things made right, tah put the bad-things put back in their place. You is the one Cassandra White. Now you're the Marshal, the one that stands betwix heaven an hell, between tha livin an the dead. Your job is to bring the bad-uns back to hell and protect the innocent. It tain't an easy job, but we know you kin do it. Are ya ready t'be strong?" he asked, holdin out a bright, shiny Marshal badge and a pair of six-shooters, one white and one black.

Ah took em.

And mah life was changed ferever.

Now Ah'm the Spirit of the West, the Lady Justice, The Marshall betwixt heaven an hell. Mah job is to remand angels and tha things out thah that most folk don't want to meet an greet that the rules are thah foh a reason an tah punish the guilty pahties. Folks round these parts call me either Lady Marshal or the Heavenly Marshal. That's when they bein polite. And they always polite 'round me.

COMPLICATIONS
Doing Good/Justice: Doing good. Cassandra always was a do gooder, she could never stand by while some social injustice was in front of her. Now that she is a Marshal and one hand-picked by tha good lord, Cass is even more dedicated to helping the innocent and punishing the wicked.

Responsibility: The responsibility of having great power can be a heavy burden but some heroes feel it is their duty to use the powers they’ve been given for the greater good.

Code of honor: Cass has a particular code of honor, she won't shoot her opponent in the back, she won't hurt kids, she rarely if ever lies and generally lives the life of a paladin in modern times. And generally speaking, she'll try reasoning with ya first, but if'n you don't listen to reason, then well. In these heah tahms, dead or alive, means dead or alive aye?

Prophetic Dreams: Cass is a mite different from other Marshals, and it's not just because she's female. Nope, she's a Marshal for god and that means, on occasion, she gets her marchin orders straight from the source of her powers, usually in the forms of dreams and strong urges to go here or there, usually places that are infested with some sort of unpleasantness or a problem that she kin fix.

LONG TERM GOALS
The job of a heavenly marshal is a tough'n, no doubt about it, sometimes she gets dreams and visions of past marshals, though in them times, they were called knights, rangers or samurai sommach of the like an the weapons weilded by the marshals changed with the times. Some lived long enough to pass their abilities to their successor an go on to father or mother chilluns of their own, more often' not, her predecessors died in action. What were her goals, really? In the end, she figgured on doin as much good as she could, have fun on the way, help as many folks as needed it, them that she could actually reach anyway, in the time alloted to her. An when the time came, if'n it were her back to tha wall, to take as many of the varmits down with her as she could.

If she lived long enough to pass her gifts to the next marshal, all tha bettah. She'd find herself a right good man an settle down and raise a brood, but considerin what she's gone against in the past and what she'll go against in the future, she figgured the settlin down part wasn't in the cards.

Personality
Cass is what one would call a spitfire. She'd have to be to take up guns and become a Marshal in times where most women her age were married with three kids or schoolteachers and nuns if not.

ABILITIES 36PP
Strength 0, Stamina 7, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 1, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 6

ADVANTAGES 13PP
Equipment 3. Evasion. Move by action. Improved Initative x2. Ranged Attack 7.

SKILLS
7 (1+6) Close Combat: unarmed
4 (1+3) Expertise: Arcane Lore
4 (1+3) Expertise: Criminal
4 (1+3) Expertise: Survival
5 (1+4) Expertise: US Marshal
4 (1+3) Insight
4 (1+3) Investigation
7 (1+6) Perception
4 (1+3) Stealth
6 (6+0) Persuasion
6 (6+0) Intimidation
6 (6+0) Deception
PP 17

DEFENSE
7 (1+6) Dodge
7 (1+6) Parry
7 Fortitude
7 Toughness
7 (1+6) Will
PP 18

POWER ARRAY
Default Uncanny Shootin: Blast 7 (ballistic, peircing, Multi-Attack, DC 23)
Alternate Deadeye Aim: Blast 7 (ballistic, peircing, Dimensional any 3, Insubstantial full 2, Homing attack 2, DC 23)
Alternate That thar varmit needs t'die!: Blast 7 (ballistic, peircing, penetrating, DC 23)
Alternate That kinda shootin ain't possible!: Deflect 7 (ballistic/reflect, DC 23)
PP 24

DEVICE (easy to loose) Marshal's badge
Comprehend languages all. Animals all. Spirits
Senses Detect Wyrm Taint/ Detect Evil ranged/Detect Spirits
PP 11

EQUIPMENT
Bolos.
Handcuffs. Toolkit (basic).
Multi-tool (she got that gadget offa a mad scientist she had to bring in. Spoils of war an all that).
Horse (Transportation)
Last edited by kirinke on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 27 times in total.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:09 pm

With a quick glance the points I would make is with all your powers as alternatives dark vision isn't going to do you much good in a fight and a lot of the alternate powers don't exactly make sense to be thematically tied together. Finally you still have 15 points as this is a 120 points so that can be used to help flesh those out as 2 alternate sets of powers

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Alrighty then, cleaned it up some. I thought when I first read the premise, it was 105, but I fixed it so now it's 120.

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Regarding teleportation, I figure it could work, provided it was limited. DL:C had it's Huckster spells limited by the card hand one drew - on average most people could get a pair or such, but the more powerful effects like the flush or the big daddy of the Royal Flush were rare. Examples in DL:Classic are the Huckster spells Shadow Walk - which allows the huckster to travel between shadows. In order to use it, you have to have shadows around. Ranges varied on your carddraw - a pair of Jacks was 2 yards, a Straight was 20 yards, Straight Flush was a mile, and the Big Royal was line of sight. Another example of Huckster teleportation was Ride the Rails, which allowed teleportation through railroad lines. Your limitations were that you needed a line to travel, and if it was cut, you got forced out and took damage. Speed examples are an Ace for 10 miles for 1 minute, 3 of a kind for 200 miles for 30 minutes, and the Royal Flush for 2000 miles for 4 hours.

And as Swetja713 pointed out, one could just sidestep into the Umbra, travel there, and pop up elsewheres on the real world. And I'm sure Sweetja will let you know how damn difficult it can be. (I'm going on the assumption that the Umbra is the Garou slang term for the Hunting Grounds.)

I'll be honest and up front here, while my knowledge of all things Weird Western is up there, I know almost jack and squat about the MnM ruleset (played a couple games of 2nd edition years ago, needed serious help just for chargen). So, while I won't be applying to the game, feel free to ask me for any Deadlands questions. Such as,,,

What time is your Deadlands game set at? DL:Classic (which is set around 1877, or DL:Reloaded, which starts around 1879? Things have changed in the West since Classic, I'm sure people would like to know what's going on and around.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:25 pm

True that, I can play a good western themed character, but the settin, now I reckon I need some brushin up to do. I've only perused Were-wolf and Deadlands, never actually played either game.

I cleaned up her array so that it fits a single theme and isn't all over the place. Put the communication/detect spirit/unnatural in a device (her badge) and fiddled with her skills and offense. I think I'm happy with it.

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 am

Strike that.

New idea.
Last edited by timothy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Li Jun (Jun Lee) is a Shaolin priest who emigrated from China to service his fellow emigres in the New World of America. However, he soon discovered that the "wild West" would offer opportunities to help folks of all races while spreading the philosophy of peaceful Buddhism. Not everyone wants to embrace non-violence, though and sometimes one needs to defend oneself and Li Jun is more than up for the task.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Name: Li Jun (Jun Lee)

STR 1
STA 3
AGI 2
DEX 2
FGH 9
INT 1
AWE 7
PRE 2

Abilities: 54 pp

Dodge: 9
Parry: 9
Toughness: 3 (5 w/Defensive Roll)
Fortitude: 7
Will: 7

Combat: 11 pp

Skills 24 pp
Acrobatics 8 (+10)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Insight 10 (+17)
Perception 10 (+17)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Treatment 4 (+5)
Expertise: Shaolin Priest [AWE] 4 (+11)

Skills: 24 pp

Advantages 22 pp
Jack of All Trades
Defensive Roll 2
Agile Feint
Assessment
Defensive Attack
Evasion 2
Uncanny Dodge
Move-by Action
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Trance
Languages 1 (English, Mandarin [native])
Skill Mastery 6
-Acrobatics
-Athletics
-Insight
-Perception
-Stealth
-Treatment

Advantages: 22 pp

Powers 9 pp
Shaolin Priest Chi Array (5 pp)
-Default: "Snatch the Pebble from my Hand" (STR-based Strike 4, PA: Subtle, 5 pp) 0 pp
-AE: "I Wish You No Harm" (Close Affliction 5, Resisted by Fortitude, 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Unconscious, 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Healing Trance (Healing 5, Distracting [-1], 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Walk the Rice Paper (Movement 1: Trackless, Speed 1, PA: Subtle 2, 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Escape Mastery (Immunity 5: Entrapment, Sustained [+0], 5 pp) 1 pp

Complications
Poor: As an ascetic monk-priest, Li Jun will only carry as much money as is necessary to meet his meager needs.
Prejudice: Li Jun is Chinese and will sometimes be harassed for it.
Code Vs. Killing: Li Jun will not take a life unless it is absolutely necessary. He has killed once before (in China) and he lives with the guilt constantly.
Enemies: By helping the downtrodden, Li Jun has made some enemies over the years, both in China and in America.
Motivation: helping those in need

Li Jun (Jun Lee) is a Shaolin priest who emigrated from China to service his fellow emigres in the New World of America. However, he soon discovered that the "wild West" would offer opportunities to help folks of all races while spreading the philosophy of peaceful Buddhism. Not everyone wants to embrace non-violence, though and sometimes one needs to defend oneself and Li Jun is more than up for the task.
Last edited by Mark Reuter on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Advantages 22 pp
Jack of All Trades
Defensive Roll 2
Agile Feint
Assessment
Defensive Attack
Evasion 2
Uncanny Dodge
Move-by Action
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Trance
Languages 1 (English, Mandarin [native])
Skill Mastery 6
-Acrobatics
-Athletics
-Insight
-Perception
-Stealth
-Treatment

Advantages: 22 pp

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Powers 9 pp
Shaolin Priest Chi Array (5 pp)
-Default: "Snatch the Pebble from my Hand" (STR-based Strike 4, PA: Subtle, 5 pp) 0 pp
-AE: "I Wish You No Harm" (Close Affliction 5, Resisted by Fortitude, 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Unconscious, 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Healing Trance (Healing 5, Distracting [-1], 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Walk the Rice Paper (Movement 1: Trackless, Speed 1, PA: Subtle 2, 5 pp) 1 pp
-AE: Escape Mastery (Immunity 5: Entrapment, Sustained [+0], 5 pp) 1 pp

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Complications
Poor: As an ascetic monk-priest, Li Jun will only carry as much money as is necessary to meet his meager needs.
Prejudice: Li Jun is Chinese and will sometimes be harassed for it.
Non-Violent: Li Jun is not easily provoked. He will always seek a non-violent solution to a problem, unless he or someone else is in mortal peril.
Enemies: By helping the downtrodden, Li Jun has made some enemies over the years, both in China and in America.
Motivation: helping those in need

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 am

Character concepts look good so far. Regarding Demonicuss Krinn's take on teleportation that's something I would definitely allow, it fits the themes. Also krinn if you are interested in playing at all, I'd be more than happy to help you with character generation. This is my first gm'ed m&m game so I'll have the book open with me for most posts and would be happy to help with understanding of rules through pm's and the like if you're not sure what you can do.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 am

Oh 2 other things, we're working with deadlands classic just not strict canon. Also Mark if you could consolidate your character to one post and delete the others I would appreciate it. Not a huge deal just makes things easier when I'm looking through submissions.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 am

Kirinke

you have 3 different ranged combat skills listed as 1. Did you buy each of those skills individually? I could see shooting covering your power array but not thrown weapons being included with that.

Mark
you have a couple of skills at +17, with modifiers skills can only be 2x power level so only a max of 14