Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e

Post by Crazyivan777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 am

sweetja713 wrote: Also krinn if you are interested in playing at all, I'd be more than happy to help you with character generation.
Any chance I could take you up on this as well? 3rd ed. makes my head hurt.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am

Fixed the skills issue.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 am

sweetja713 wrote: Mark
you have a couple of skills at +17, with modifiers skills can only be 2x power level so only a max of 14
Is this a house rule?
Hero Handbook wrote: Skill Modifier: Your hero’s total modifier with any skill (ability rank + skill rank + advantage modifiers) cannot exceed the series power level +10. This includes untrained skill modifiers using only ability rank, and so sets an effective limit on all abilities associated with skills.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:28 am

@Sweetja I posted the character from my phone which allows me 512 characters per post. As soon as I can reach a normal computer (Monday probably), I will consolidate.

Secondly, as Spectrum pointed out, in 3e, skills can have a maximum modifier of PL+10, which is 17 for a PL 7 campaign. If you are houseruling it to 2x PL, that's fine. I will change it.

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am

The Dog
HT- 30" at shoulder
Wt- 190 lbs
Eyes- Amber
Fur- Black and White (Landseer)

Attributes-
Str: 6, Sta: 6, Agi: 2, Dex: -2, Ftg: 6, Int: 0, Awe: 5, Pre: 3
total- 52pp

Powers-
Big Dog
1) Fast Runner- Speed 2 (8 mph/120' per rd). 2pp
2) Sharp Senses- Senses 7: smell- acute, analytical, extended 1, tracking. hearing- extended 1, ultra. 7pp
3) Strong Swimmer- Swimming 2 ( 2 mph/30' per rd). 2pp
4)Thick Fur- Immunity 1: environmental cold. 1pp
5) Tough- Protection 2. 2pp

Wyrd-touched
1) Sense Supernatural - Awareness: Supernatural (smell). 1pp

total- 15pp

Defenses-
Dodge: 6
Parry: 6
Toughness: 8
Fortitude: 8
Will: 6
total- 7pp

Advantages-
All-Out Attack
Chokehold
Close Attack 2
Daze (intimidate)
Fast Grab
Great Endurance
Improved Hold
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Skill Mastery (intimidate)
Skill Mastery (perception)
Uncanny Dodge
total- 15pp

Skills-
Athletics- +9 (+15)
Expertise-hunting +10 (+10)
Expertise-survival +10 (+10)
Insight- +5 (+10)
Intimidation- +12 (+15)
Perception- +10 (+15)
Stealth- +6 (+8)
total- 31pp

Total Points- attributes 52 + powers 15 + advantages 15 + defenses 7 + skills 31 = 120 points

Offense-
Initiative +10
Close combat- +8 - bite dc21.
Grappling- +8 - str 6, -5 on rolls to escape hold

Disadvantages-

Just a Dog- the dog is unable to speak. lacking hands, he is unable to perform any feat requiring fine manipulation. like all domesticated dogs he is completely incapable of using the deception skill.

Protector- the dog is, like most of his kind, a dedicated protector of those he accepts as members of his pack.

Instinctive Behavior- even with human intelligence, the dog is controlled to a large extent by instinct. DC10 will check to follow any plan more complex than 'get him, boy'.

Cursed- the dog carries the soul of his former master. in times of great stress a DC10 will check is required to keep the soul from interfering with the dog's behavior. a failure can result in anything from the dog fleeing until control is regained to temporary inability to act as the minds clash over a course of action or even having Ol' Fitz take over the dog's body.

Sort of Famous- there are stories told around campfires about the dog, but nobody except children and those who've been rescued by him really believe there's any truth to them.

Background-

Ol' Fitz was one of the last of the old-time mountain men, a mean and cantankerous old cuss who didn't like anyone much and out-and-out hated city folk, women, indians, blacks, orientals and the irish, not necessarily in that order. Shopkeeper and bartenders who knew him dreaded his coming into town and cheered his leaving.

About the only things he didn't mistreat were his rifle and traps, his big bowie knife, his horse and mule, and his beloved dog, which, in a frenzy of creativity, he had named 'Dog'.

On his last hunting trip, looking for a near-legendary valley where the beaver were still thick, he ran into something. Nobody'll ever know what, exactly, most likely. Fitz was out alone, as was his wont, and the only survivor was his dog.

Now, the dog wanders, masterless and alone, at least according to the story-tellers. But, they say that sometimes, travelers in danger or lost children will tell of the great black-and-white beast that showed up from nowhere to save them. And, they also say, that if you catch his eyes at just the right angle, you can see Ol' Fitz looking back out at you...
Last edited by timothy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 am

Please let us know if Dog would be of interest. Ideas for a partner character are coming to mind if Timothy would be okay with it. I just need to figure out what that would be..

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Crazy Ivan I'd be more than happy to help

Mark spectrum you are both completely right i goofed and mixed up the skill limits between editions so marc you're fine
Spectrum tim's character has been approved as a submission but not guranteed a spot if i were you i'd make a character that could be tied to it (if tim approves) but doesnt need that character to make the concept work

Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Zen_Gypsy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Now, I am semi interested in this, as the cover illustration for Deadlands of the gaunt, undead gunslinger, has always been a favorite of mine. Without going full-on construct (which would be hard to do given the 120 limit), how would you like to see the Harrowed built?

My initial character was built with a combination of Impervious Toughness, Immunity: Bullets, and a small amount of Regen & Immortality.

Is that acceptable to you, the 5 point damage immunity to bullets is straight up Rules as Written, but is it too powerful in this setting, where that would be a large amount of the damage one could expect to be facing? Just want an idea on your thoughts before putting a build up for consideration.

Oh, and any Harrowed loses points if THIS ain't his theme music!
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I be thinkin the harrowed types would be the critters we're huntin, not makin friends with. Remember, they need t'look human. An harrowed? They'd be re-deaded right quick.

Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Zen_Gypsy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Eric Draven looked human, if goth-like, and the Crow or Raven is a fairly common Native American totem spirit, so the idea of a harrowed as a player isn't right out of left field. Or am I entirely mistaken?
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Be up to sweetja, but me, I'd be givin that concept the fish-eye.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

In Deadlands 'canon', Harrowed weren't so much invulnerable, but regenerated (when they could eat fresh meat) and just couldn't -die- outside of having their brains destroyed. As this, however, is not canonical DL, our mileage may vary. (Also remember that, canonically, the harrowed have a nice li'l manatou inside them that on occasional will take over and make them do evil. Just a heads-up).

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Crazyivan777 wrote:In Deadlands 'canon', Harrowed weren't so much invulnerable, but regenerated (when they could eat fresh meat) and just couldn't -die- outside of having their brains destroyed. As this, however, is not canonical DL, our mileage may vary. (Also remember that, canonically, the harrowed have a nice li'l manatou inside them that on occasional will take over and make them do evil. Just a heads-up).
Think ghoul and you'd get a pretty good picture of what kind of critter a harrowed is. And while it sounds cool, playing something that'll get ye chased outta town, gets old quick. Plus if you got a variety of blessed/wyld/shamanisk and other goody-goodies in the mix... Welll. I don't think it'd be a good thing addin a harrowed in the batter.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 pm

There can be heroic harrowed as evidenced by some sourcebooks but struggle for control would have to be a complication i would feel free to invoke and remember the manitou/wyrm spirits are subtle when they take control. they'll undermine the group in subtle but important ways. that said it should also be something to keep a close eye on. As far as immunity to bullets its concerned that would be a common source and would be priced as such. I'd lean more toward low level regeneration source flesh and immortality. Also remember folks must look human and due to the smell I'd actually give a major penalty to the deception check for anyone that would be near due to the smell. I'm not forbidding it but it would have to take a compelling character

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Ahh, the wonderful world of the Harrowed. Since I have the info (from the Deadlands core book and the splat Book O' The Dead), here's some quick tips and information about those Zombies with Delusions of Grandeur.

Harrowed Healing: Like CrazyIvan said, if they can get a pound of meat into their systems, be it fresh or carrion, they can heal up once per day (which is quicker than a normal person, who makes natural healing checks once per week). However, most magical healing and medicine won't work on 'em. This regeneration even works on severed limbs, it just takes longer. And there ain't nothing more sad (or angry) as a severed, swearing Harrowed head.

What Does A Harrowed Look Like? Depends on how they died, and how long the body was cold before the manitou came a'callin'. Some look just as alive as you and I, others look more...deadish. And while Harrowed regenerate damage, there's one thing they can't heal up - the wound that killed them. Most try to cover 'em up as best as possible. A knife wound to the back or strangulation bruises are easy to deal with - just wear a shirt and a scarf. Being burnt alive, or taking both barrels to your chest? Not as easy to hide.

Decay: Even if you're a "fresh kill", a Harrowed will have pale, sallow skin. They won't rot, but they won't smell like roses either. Any fool dumb enough to get right up close to you and take a sniff will be able to smell decay and rot on you. However, if you chug a quart of alcohol, it'll "pickle" you, and mask the smell of death. Instead, you'll smell like a boozer!

Speaking of Booze: I hope you weren't looking forward on going on benders. Harrowed can't be poisoned, get drunk, be affected by normal drugs, or get sick of normal, non-supernatural diseases. But, some deaders still think they can be affected by the drink/drugs, and act accordingly. What can I say, lifetime habits die hard.

Gettin' the Munchies: Harrowed do need to eat, at least if they want to heal up. As said previously, they need a pound of meat (no matter the quality) to help heal themselves up. Water, they don't need.

Grit: So in Deadlands:Classic rules, there's rules on fear checks, what to do if a scary monster shows up and if your character will stand and fight or wet 'em and run away screaming. As you progress in experience, you earn something called Grit, which is a bonus to your attempts to resist Fear. Harrowed automatically get a bonus to Grit when they rise up. Hey, if you can stick a knife in your heart and laugh it off, seeing a monster roaming the plains really isn't all that frightening.

Sex: Because someone's going to bring it up, here's the answer - NO. Deaders don't get laid. Full Stop. Next section.

Pain: (Hey, isn't Grit, Sex, 'N Pain a Godsmack song?) Being dead means you don't feel much pain, but it's still hard to shoot when half your hand is blown off. In DL:C rules, Harrowed can ignore 2 levels of wound penalties. Since I don't know MnM, I'll leave it up to y'all to convert that.

Sleepin' Like the Dead: Harrowed do need to rest, at it recharges the nasty demon inside them that acts like their batteries. It's not that long, about 1d6 hours per 24 hour period. They can try to stay up, by fighting their manitou, but its' not easy. And the longer they go without rest, the more worn and tired they get until they finally pass out. BTW, a sleeping deader isn't all that easy to sneak up on, as the manitou inside keeps an eye open for trouble.

State of Undeath: As a zombie-ish fellow, they can ignore bleeding and damage such as physical damage, drowning, or indirect damage that affects the organs. So if you're thinking you're going to KO a Harrowed with a knock-out punch, good luck sucker! They can take damage from magical or strain, so a huckster's Soul Blast will hurt 'em, along with certain fear effects if they do get really scared. And as already said, only a maiming wound to the head that destroys the brain kills them for good. If they manage to take massive damage elsewhere (like say, a shotgun blast to the guts, or magical lightning strikes), they're KO'd until they heal up a bit.

Harrowed Powers: Yes, they can get powers. They're two types - Harrowed and Coup powers. Harrowed powers are extensions of the deader. Examples are Cat's Eyes, which allows one to see in the dark, and can be upgraded to peer into someone's soul ("I think that guy's lying. Trust me on this."), Claws (what it says on the tin), Soul Eater (you're not really eating someone's soul, just supping on his life force to recharge your own), and Supernatural Trait (boost a stat).

Coup powers are gained differently. There's really nasty stuff out there, and if a deader can beat one, and is close enough to it when it passes, claims a bit of it's power. Be warned, some coups come with a bit of a double-edged sword effect, with a benefit and a hindrance. Off the top of my head, two example coups are against the wintry man-eater the Wendigo (whose coup give a harrowed immunity to cold and cold-based attacks), and a werewolf (increase your Toughness, but take double-damage from silver). But since we're going to be dealing with Garou instead of standard werewoofs, I don't know it the possible coups will be different.

So, the general Harrowed primer. Hope this helps anyone wanting to make a dead dude walking.