The League of Extraordinary Persons (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

The League of Extraordinary Persons (IC)

Post by roguescribner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Friday, August 17th, 2001. 9:45 a.m.

You arrive at the mansion on Fulton Street in San Francisco. The home was documented in Tom Wolfe’s “The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test” as the location of one of the very first hippie communes in San Francisco in the 1960s. It is a Gothic style Victorian house that was built in 1889, and can be found at the northwest corner of Alamo Square Park. The house was originally built for William Westerfeld, a well-to-do confectioner in the 19th century. Today, it is the headquarters for the not-so-secret League of Extraordinary Persons.

As you enter, you are greeted by two familiar men: The Amazing Randi and Sugar Ray Leonard. They lead you through a ornate hall with large portraits hanging on the walls: Claude Lacombe, Hulk Hogan, Mary Lou Retton, Evel Knievel, Tangina Barrons, Edward Scissorhands, Tequila Yen, Egon Spengler, and Doctor Emmett Brown. Also included: The Amazing Randi and Sugar Ray Leonard. "The League has been in existence for decades, responding to global crises and other strange phenomena," Randi explains. "Out with the old, in with the new," Sugar Ray grins as he opens the large double-doors to the library.

Inside the library sits a red-headed woman dressed in a pantsuit next to a harried looking elderly gentleman.

ImageImage

"Greetings, everyone," the woman stands. "For those who do not know me, my name is Special Agent Dana Scully of the FBI. I head the X-Files division and am also the current leader of the League of Extraordinary Persons program. Next to me is renowned scientist and inventor Doctor Emmett Brown. We'll get to him shortly. Your group contains an assortment of talented individuals summoned here for a mission of great importance. We have here Lady Lara Croft, finder of antiquities. Dr. Buckaroo Banzai, inventor, rock star, all around renaissance man. Ralph Hinckley, bona fide superhero. Connor MacLeod, skilled swordsman. And... and..." Scully looks quizzically at the portly bearded man beaming in an overcoat in the back of the room. "I'm sorry, I don't believe I know you. You are?" The man hands Scully a small card with the LXP logo embossed on the outside. She reads it and shakes her head. "You're Batman?" The portly man shakes his head and points at the card. She rereads it and notices the name Batman crossed out and another name written in. "Bluntman." The female agent looks at the room and finds the portly man once more, who simply smiles and shrugs. "Well, let's move on."

Scully waits for everyone to exchange pleasantries and sits down before continuing. "Over the past 30 days a convergence of events have given us reason to believe that something sinister is occurring. Something that is threatening the lives of of a small town about 200 miles south of here and could spread quickly if not stopped soon. Missing persons cases in the small town of San Luis Obispo have jumped 300% over the past month. Arson cases have also jumped dramatically. Strangely, the bulk of recent fires seem to be targeting gardens, nurseries, and flower shops. We do not know who is committing these crimes, but we theorize that they may be related to a disturbance Dr. Brown has discovered. Sir."

Doc Brown furrows his brows in thought then his wild eyes lock onto each member of the group. "In 1985 I traveled to the year 2015 in a time machine of my own invention. I have traveled back and forth through time on many occasions since, always careful not to disturb the space-time continuum. Of course, wrinkles have happened... *ahem* I married my wife in 1885 and we have two lovely boys. Until a short time ago we traveled freely through time, seeing the world's greatest moments of history up close and personal. My boys are young men now and are naturally curious about the future. I decided to show them the wonders of 2015. Only, the 2015 I remembered no longer existed. It was a horrible future. We barely escaped it alive! Something happened to change it. I have yet to trace the exact moment, but in my efforts to source the calamity, I built a temporal flux tracking system. All around the world, temporal disturbances abound. Could they be natural? Some of them, possibly. But there is a concentration of these temporal events near--yes, you've guessed it!--San Luis Obispo! Whatever is happening there I fear has far reaching consequences for the future. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the fate of the human race is at stake!"

Scully places a reassuring hand on Doc Brown's arm as she stands. "Time travel is real. The methods may be many. Missing people and fires are suddenly engulfing a small town surrounded by temporal disturbances. We can only assume the events are related. Your mission is to investigate these disturbances and find their cause. Discover the reason behind the missing persons cases and the arsons. See if there is a link. And most of all, determine what could possibly cause the apocalyptic future Doctor Brown has warned us about and do everything in your power to prevent it. I will remain here to coordinate resources. If you require transportation to San Luis Obispo it can be arranged. Questions?"
Last edited by roguescribner on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (IC)

Post by roguescribner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Chun-Li

You've been investigating a missing child ring out of Thailand with deliveries to the United States. Shipping containers from a company named GST Exports arrive in Los Angeles harbor and then are moved by large trucks from Kanemitsu up Highway 101. You missed the transfer in L.A. so you track the trucks through the night. You finally catch up to them and watch as they pull through a guard gate and enter an OCP distribution facility. Somewhere inside that facility are the answers you seek.

Jareth

It is late at night and you find yourself standing in an unfamiliar field. One look at the night sky confirms you are in the mortal realm. Sarah must be nearby. Your link to her has softened over the years, so you rarely could travel directly to her. But why a field? At this hour? You search your surroundings and other than some nearby woods, you spy a large brightly lit building in the distance. Two trucks are passing through a guard gate. Could Sarah be there? There's only one way to find out.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Ralph Hinckley
HP: 1
Condition: Good

Ralph glances around at the assemblage, clears his throat, and speaks. "Agent Scully, while I agree that we should do something, are you sure we have enough information to act authoratatively so that we know we are preventing this bleak future and not pushing the Earth more quickly towards it?"

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Chun-Li
Character Sheet - HP: 1

Chun-Li watched from the trees across the street as the truck pulled into the gate. She had originally assumed she was dealing with a people trafficking operation, but for a large corporation like OCP to be involved. This was deeper than she was prepared for. She pulled her cell phone, keyed her boss at Interpol headquarters and let her thumb hover over the "Call" button.

She had no idea what was going on in there. Without evidence, her superiors couldn't follow through anyway. To be sure something could be done, she had to know more.

Putting her cell phone away, Chun-Li walked towards the gate. It would be understandable that the manager of the facility would know about the shipment. This place was too locked down for the employees to pull one over on their boss.

She pulled the civilian shirt she was wearing down slightly to reveal something the security may be more interested in looking at than her ID. She walked straight up to him and in her sexiest, but authoritative, voice said, "Hey, you. I need to see the boss, right away. There's something wrong with tonight's shipment. What? You don't know me? I'm the one he pays off down at the department to keep prying eyes away from your operation. But something has gone wrong now and you need to let me pass."
Deception Check: 1d20+9=16
She has Attractive (already factored in) and Fascinate linked to Deception.

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Bluecross » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:33 am

Connor MacLeod
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

Connor allowed himself to be led into the meeting room, sitting down and listening, keeping his thoughts to himself while Agent Scully briefed them. The procedure was pretty familiar to him, he’d been in many very similar briefings, and his mind wandered a bit as it droned on. It had been
quite a long trip from Lisbon to get here, although flying first class - a small luxury he permitted himself – made it a bit less tiring. Hopefully this job wouldn’t take too long, he was rather enjoying the work he’d been doing, the dangers and intrigue helped him keep an edge that he was sure he’d need some day…

His mind snapped back to the here and now. The Doctor guy – he looked a lot like Einstein, but didn’t seem to have his dry wit – had been talking about time travel.
”…. a concentration of these temporal events near--yes, you've guessed it!--San Luis Obispo! Whatever is happening there I fear has far reaching consequences for the future. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the fate of the human race is at stake!"
’Hmmm.. he seems pretty convinced of that. This might actually be serious after all.’

As Agent Scully wound up the briefing Connor cast an eye over the people he’d be working with. Not that much to look at really. Lady Lara looked pretty enough, in that kind of busty way Americans seemed to like, and she was competent enough if some of the tales Connor had heard were true. He couldn’t make anything of Mr Hinckley, or the Bluntman. They both looked rather innocuous, perhaps not a bad thing in this line of work. No doubt they had some talents hidden away under their bland exteriors. Dr. Banzai was the most flashy of them all, if anyone looked like what most people imagined secret agents to look like, it was him.

Waiting for a pause, Connor spoke, his voice soft and quiet, and oddly accented. ”Agent Scully, I have a couple of questions. First, what’s our status regarding local law enforcement? Will the San Luis police co-operate with us, or are we more covert than that?

Second, do we have any hard data on these events? Names of those missing, dates and locations of the fires? Anything like that?“
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bladewind » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:07 am

Lara Croft
Character Sheet
Condition: Normal
HP: 1

Lara had kept mostly to herself until now, her trademark pout giving off the air that usually made people under-estimate her. It suggested playful disinterest and went along with the rest of the way that she carried herself. It was a carefully constructed façade that Agent Scully likey saw through. It also served to distract many people and caused almost everyone to underestimate her at crucial moments.

This enterprise piqued her curiosity. She let the others ask the questions, preferring to absorb the information that was not communicated rather than to ask questions that could cause assumptions.

Her mind wandered back to the pictures in the hallway. She was stuck on the fact that Randi and Scully were a part of the same organization. Randi was a debunker. She felt that his type of work served a very important purpose, to debunk charlatans, but often missed a crucial point. For instance, magic and spiritual communication hold little sway today, but Clarke pointed out that sufficiently advanced technology will always appear magic. Then there is the power of belief. People have died because they were told that they would... or walked when they were told they wouldn't. Randi seemed to want to debunk the paranormal to prove it's non-existence as an end in itself. But paranormal trappings have always been a part of society. They've simply evolved in modern times to be called scientists instead of priests, doctors instead of priests and so on...

So where did Scully fit? Was this "X-Files Division" meant to investigate paranormal activities to determine cause, or meant to deal with the unexplained for the sake of dealing with it?

Either way, Croft was intrigued.

Back to the present, Hinckley was nagging at the back of her mind. Especially with the tag of "bona fide superhero." It was an interesting way to describe a person to say the least.

The others were people that she had not likely heard of, or perhaps read only about only in passing. The one called MacLeod seemed world weary, and she absently wondered if there would be British/ Scottish friction between them...

Once they fixed this mess, she would have to get Brown to show her his time machine. Or better yet, to show her the distant past...
Last edited by Bladewind on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by CaptainChaos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:21 am

Buckaroo Banzai

As he and the others were led down the hallway and into the library, Buckaroo made mental notes of his observations of the others in the group. There was the grim looking man in the trench coat and odd accent, the overweight man in a similar trench coat, another who looked like a school teacher,and a tall attractive brunette woman. A casual observer would think it was an unlikely group of people to get together. While he did not personally know any of these individuals, he did have a passing knowledge of who the woman was. She was an archeologist of sorts but not the academical type. More like the Indiana Jones type. The others he did not recognize.

Upon entering the room, they were greeted by another attractive woman who introduced herself as an FBI agent named Scully. He had previous dealings with the FBI but had never met an attractive FBI agent. They were always rather dowdy looking.

Dr. Banzai listened intently as the attractive FBI agent Scully, and the frazzled looking scientist Dr. Brown, describe the unusual events happening around San Luis Obispo, California. Dr. Brown talked about temporal fluxes and his own travels in time. He had read about Dr. Brown in various publications. He was nearly always described as a lunatic and crackpot. In Buckaroo's experiences, sometimes even a crackpot is right. If this Dr. Brown had indeed traveled through time, perhaps some of his travels were somehow connected to these recent disturbances.

"Dr. Brown, it's an honor to meet you. I've read and heard much about you. In your opinion, do you believe that any of your travels through time could be connected in some way to these temporal disturbances? You stated that when you returned to the year 2015, it was vastly different than when you previously visited. Could you have done something, even inadvertently, to alter the course of events? Theory has it than even talking to someone in the past you had never met before could alter the future. Saving someone's life when they were destined to die, giving future technology to someone in the past, and even something as seemingly insignificant as leaving a piece of clothing from the future in the past has the potential to alter future events. Is there anything you can think of that might have happened like that? did you ever bring anything back into the past from the future?"

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Post by roguescribner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 am

Chun-Li

The name badge on the guard's shirt reads "Crowley." The man stiffens as you show off your goods. He swallows hard before replying, "You know the rules. ID or code word." You notice the man is armed and his foot is inches away from an alarm pedal. There's also a video camera inside the booth you can only assume is being monitored by security elsewhere in the facility.
GM wrote:Guard deception check: 1d20+5=14 +5 modifier because he is put at risk if he's wrong, so he's reluctant.

League HQ

Agent Scully nods at Ralph and responds, "Excellent question, Mr. Hinckley. I obviously only have the expertise of Dr. Brown to rely on, but he has been an invaluable resource in the past and I trust in his opinion. If he--"

"The future is not written," Doc Brown interjects passionately. "An infinite amount of futures exist sprung from the infinite amount of choices we make every day. The choices we have made have brought us here to this very moment in time. But this is about more than the choices we make. It's about the choices that will be made! Is it my choice? Your choice? Or yours? Or someone else, some time else, deciding our fate for us?"

Scully clears her throat. "I think what Dr. Brown is trying to say is that these temporal anomalies are not naturally occurring phenomena and are either the source of the calamity that will befall us in the future or are somehow related. Concrete facts are on short supply. That's why we're here. Or, to be more precise, why you're here. All of you. Find the cause for these temporal anomalies and their relationship--if any--to the rash of missing persons and arson cases in San Luis Obispo and we should be able to shed some light on this mystery."

Connor MacLeod asks about legal authority, to which Scully responds: "Another excellent question, Mr. MacLeod. The League program is funded through a joint partnership between the FBI and CIA and has direct Congressional oversight. Our jurisdiction is somewhat nebulous as we need to be able to respond where needed. You will not require warrants for search and seizure. You may detain suspects with probable cause. Obviously, the more covert your actions are the better. The less collateral damage that exists the better. This is a unique program that can be shut down if it looks as if our powers and privileges are being abused. Through this office I will coordinate with local law enforcement to support our needs, but we cannot rely on them in all aspects of our mission.

"To your second point, there are folders of data on the table over there," Scully indicates a small table near the doors. "Contained within those folders are lists of missing persons for the past 60 days, their last known locations, and last points of contact. A list of arson sites for the past 60 days is also included. A small map with a rough outline of temporal disturbances was drafted by Dr. Brown--"

"Please excuse the crudity of the maps," Doc Brown interjects. "I didn't have time to draft them to scale or color code the locations based upon calculations of intervals and clustering."

"The maps should point you in the right direction," Scully reassures the group. "Any other questions? If not, Mr. Leonard will show you to our fleet of cars. San Luis Obispo is about a four and half hour drive depending on traffic. Once you've gathered your supplies you should be able to get there by mid- to late afternoon. Attached to the folders by the door are small bracelet transmitters. Cell phones and radios should still be used for normal long range communication, but the bracelets can be used by the team within short distances, about 500 feet or so. They don't pack a lot of range but they should work in spaces that other communication may not. Doctor Brown will accompany the group investigating the temporal disturbances. The group investigating the missing persons and arson sites can coordinate with Chief Baldwin at SLOPD if need be. He knows of us and should cooperate fully. Thank you and good luck."

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Post by roguescribner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 am

League HQ

As everyone stands and retrieves the folders and bracelets from by the door, Buckaroo Banzai approaches Doc Brown with a question. "The classic butterfly effect," Doc Brown responds with a smile. "No, friend. A little paranoia keeps a man safe, and I've retraced all my steps. Nothing I can foresee could possibly snowball into the hell I encountered in the future." The elder scientist pulls you close and whispers emphatically. "Robots! Aliens! Human slaves! It's a bad science fiction movie come to life!"

Scully overhears and pulls Doc Brown away. "Doctor, let's get you some tea..." To Buckaroo, Scully says politely, 'Excuse us."

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am

Chun-Li
Character Sheet - HP: 1

Damn, Chun-Li thinks to herself. Taking half a step back, she reaches into her pocket.

"ID? Sure, here you go," she says as she pulls out her Interpol ID. She holds it close to her body, forcing him to step out of the booth and away from the alarm and security camera, to see it clearly.
Deception Check to Trick him into the unwise move of stepping out of his safety zone: 1d20+9=19

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by dreamking89 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:01 am

Yeesh, sorry it took me so long to post her guys. I kinda forgot this doesn't show up in 'my posts' until I actually post here.
Jareth, the Goblin King

This late at night, no one at the guard gate even notices the barn owl silently fly overhead, and what would they do even if they could? The owl landed upon the ground within the compound, it's head tilting curiously as it eyed the great building. Had someone been watching, they would've sworn the owl was looking for something.

Taking to the air again, the owl began to circle the area around the compund.
Perception Check in an attempt to spot Sarah (or anyone else suspicious looking) as he circles the compound.
1d20+16=25
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Post by roguescribner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 am

Jareth

You fly overhead the large OCP facility. The area is well lit with flood lights. You spot various vehicles and personnel moving about the inside perimeter. A woman in street clothes is chatting up a guard at the south entrance. On the western fence line near the woods a hooded figure sits with a pair of binoculars. The figure would be easy to miss from within the halo of the facility, but your keen eyes manage to pick it out.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Silent Bob
HP 1

Time travel would explain why he keeps running into people that all look alike. First Cardinal Glick and that hitchhiker. Brody and Banky. That one angel, Bartleby, and the prick from Fashionable Male. Hell his whole life was full of people that look like temporal clones of each other. Either that or it was some really good stuff he had before showing up to the meeting. Maybe that's why this was all making sense. Then again he had seen stranger things happen that what the doctor was describing. Turning to the rest of the group Silent Bob, a.k.a the Hemp Knight, a.k.a. Bluntman, gives them a wide smile and a thumbs up as if to say, I'm with you.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by dreamking89 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Jareth

The owl turns it's head to look at the girl with the binoculars, then takes to the sky again. Flying outside the compound, it flies into a tree as silent as the night, landing perfectly on the branch behind the hooded figure. The owl peers at the figure from the shadows, could this be who it was searching for?
Jareth's owl form is going to attempt to remain hidden from the hooded figure.
1d20+24=29
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Lord Fell » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Co-GM Post

Jareth
As you wing your way towards the figure hunched on the hill, you make out that the figure is a woman. As you wing your way closer, she tenses up and for a miniscule moment in time, you're afraid she may have spotted you. But as you continue, you realize that she is reacting to the activity down by the gate.

As you come closer to the woman, you also sense that she is carrying a fetish or talisman that has some sort of dweomer on it. Perhaps more than one article that has magic on it or in it. As you settle into a branch with a vantage where you can watch the woman, she lowers her binoculars and begins to creep down towards the compound.

The woman:

Silent Bob
A lot of the stuff in the house looks like Old People Stuff, and you're keeping your hands in your pockets so you don't break anything. Although your invitation was slightly doctored, no one seems too bent about your presence here. As long as you keep your cool, everything should be cool. Two other people are rocking trench coats, so you're even dressed for the occasion.

With a start, you realize Sugar Ray is just a couple feet away from you. You didn't hear him approach at all. He's glancing around with a furrowed brow, and he's ... sniffing.