Destiny Origins[3E/OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
ursinethemadbear
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Destiny Origins[3E] Recruiting

Postby ursinethemadbear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:11 pm

This game sounds interesting, I am throwing my hat in the ring.

Jason Harvey grew up hard on the streets of Pittsburgh. The only child of an alcoholic single mother, Jason took to stealing the things that he needed and wanted. In his teens, Jason was recruited into a street gang, and quickly became one of their toughest enforcers, showing nasty skills with knives.
As his reputation grew, he was pulled up into the ranks of professional criminals. Jason was hired for any job that needed reasonably intelligent muscle, robbing armored cars and banks, intimidating witnesses, and even an occasional straight-out murder for hire. Jason was able to earn enough money this way to get away from the streets he grew up on, building what seemed a normal fairly successful life to anyone that did not know what he did for a living. The true miracle of Jason's life was that he was never arrested, escaping official notice through skill, ruthlessness, and a lot of luck.
All of that changed when he met Sara. She was luminescent, a bright light in his grey world. Sara was the owner of a small but successful art boutique near Jason's home, and he was entranced by her from the first time they met. His relationship with Sara led Jason to seek a new life. He cut himself off from his old friends, started looking for a honest living for the very first time. Jason reinvented himself, trying to become someone that deserved having a life with Sara.
And then he woke up in a room, with no idea who he was...

Jason Harvey
Power Level 10/ 150 points
Abilities 56 + Advantages 6 + Skills 9 + Powers 71 + Defenses 8 = 150 points

Concept: Career Criminal turned Amnesiac Metahuman
Description: Jason Harvey is a fit man, with handsome angular features and a lot of confidence.
Age: 29 Sex: Male Height: 5'11" Weight: 172 lbs Hair: Black Eyes: Brown
Costume: None

Abilities: 56 points
Strength: 2 [4], Stamina: 4 [10], Agility: 2 [6], Dexterity: 2 [6]
Fighting: 8 [10], Intellect: 2, Awareness: 6, Presence: 2

Advantages: 6 points
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Takedown

Skills: 9 points
Athletics 4/+6 [+8], Close Combat [Knives] 2/+10 [+12], Expertise [Criminal] 6/+8, Persuasion 2/+4, Stealth 3/+5 [+9], Technology 1/+3

Powers: 71 points
• Superhuman Prowess:46 points total
  • Enhanced Abilities: 18, Strength +2 [4 total], Stamina +6 [10 total], Agility +4 [6 total], Dexterity +4 [6 total], Fighting +2 [10 total] • 36 points
  • Immunity: 4, Cold, Disease, Heat, Poison • 4 points
  • Leaping: 2, 30' distance • 2 points
  • Senses: 2, Visual [Low-Light], Auditory [Danger Sense] • 2 points
  • Speed: 2, 8 mph/ 120' per round • 2 points

• Lightning Fast:16 points
  • Concealment: 4, Limited [Can Be Targeted], Visual • 4 points
  • Enhanced Advantages: 3, Improved Initiative 2, Uncanny Dodge • 3 points
  • Multiattack: 8, Variable [Any Melee Attack] • 9 points

• Force Knives:9 points total
  • Damage: 4, Improved Critical 4 [16-20], Split • 9 points

Defenses: 8 points
Dodge: 4/+6 [+10], Parry: 0/+8 [+10], Fortitude: 0/+4 [+10], Toughness: --/+4 [+10], Will: 4/+10

Offense:
Initiative: +2 [+14]
Unarmed: 2 [4] [DC 17 {19}], +8 [+10] attack
Force Knives: 8 [DC 23], +12 attack

Complications:
Motivation- Responsibility, There is somewhere Jason needs to be, and someone he needs to find, but Jason does not know where or who.
Amnesiac- Jason has no memories before waking up in that room.
Mysterious Tatoo- Jason has a tatoo of a woman's face on his left shoulder, with the name Sara across it.
Heavily Scarred- Jason has a number of scars on his body, the signs of a violent life. This includes a pair of metal pins in his right leg.
Addiction- Recovering Alcholic

NOTE: This character is somewhat inspired by Clint Eastwood's character in the amazing western Unforvgiven.
Life is what happens while I am busy gaming.
I use DCA, unless I state otherwise, all my posts are for DCA. I assume that 3ed is the same, but might be wrong in specific areas.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

So I decided to go through all the submissions, and add a list at the first post for easy reference.

I'm just about to go out for a bit, so I'll go over the submissions when I get back for any notes on them I need to make.

Don't fret if you haven't gotten a submission in yet, I'm in no particular rush to cut it off and I know a few more people have expressed interest and not gotten a build in yet, though I may cut off new interest as of Monday night. So if you're on the fence, at least say you're interested so you can submit a character, which I will probably give one more week to finalize builds for everyone wanting to make adjustment ro those who need to add something or make changes based on what I observe.

I am still not completely decided on how many I intend to take yet as well. I want to see all the submissions before I make that choice.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the party but since you mentioned throwing in interest before Monday night... :P

Brianna "Brea" MacLaughlan

Personality
'Brea is quiet and self-assured, and has always been so, from a young age. However, at first appearance, she might seem 'cold' or 'distant', but that stems from Brea's social awkwardness and difficulty both expressing and interpreting emotion. This behaviour tended to ostracise Brea throughout her life, causing others to think she was, for lack of a more civil term, 'a bit of a bitch'. It doesn't get Brea down (much) though, as she knows she's is right, they're wrong, and in the end, that will put her out on top.

Background
Even in grade school she was capable of memorizing and organizing large swathes of information in a very short space of time, to the pride of her parents... and the irritation of her teachers. She was that kid in school that would often interrupt to correct a teacher on a detail that, while factually inaccurate, was relatively unimportant, compared to the lesson being taught. Brea had (up until recent events unfolded) worked as a personal aide to a high-profile businessman in Seattle, where her otherwise infuriating attention to detail and her minor emotional detachment were considered advantages.

Complications
Quirk - Mild Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder: Brea works (or at least, worked) in an industry where this mildly irritating behavioral disorder was a benefit, and not a detriment. However, now that she's lost her memory of who and where she is, this may lead to emotional outbursts and infuriating bouts of pedantism.
Quirk - Appearance: Brea's powers are always 'on', to a certain extent. She can assume a vaguely humanoid form without much trouble, but to resume her actual, human shape takes some effort. Even still, the colours of her clothes tend to look dark and 'washed-out', and her pallor is unnaturally pale and gray.
Weakness - Fire: Brea can ignore normal heat without incident, but her tar-like body is flammable. A naked flame or heat-based weapon could easily spread fire across her entire body in seconds.
Weakness - Cold: Brea can resist low temperatures under normal circumstances, but sudden cold-based attacks or accidents can temporarily solidify her (akin to freezing her solid) or even render her brittle and vulnerable to shattering.

Powers
Brea's body has been converted into approximately 120 pounds of organic liquid carbon, with a typical consistency of warm asphalt. As an extension of her body, Brea can shift, shape, and manipulate this mass at-will, including changing its density from anywhere between two extremes: a hardened, rubber-like solid, or a free-flowing, near-waterlike liquid.

- - - -

Power Level 10 / 150pp
16 (Abilities) + 90 (Powers) + 6 (Advantages) + 11 (Skills) + 27 (Defenses) = 150pp
Trade-Offs: -2 Fort / +2 Will

Abilities - 16pp
  • Strength - 0
  • Stamina 1
  • Agility - 2
  • Dexterity - 2
  • Fighting - 0
  • Intellect - 2
  • Awareness - 0
  • Presence - 1

Advantages - 6pp
  • Contacts
  • Eidetic Memory
  • Fast Grab
  • Grabbing Finesse
  • Improved Grab
  • Improved Hold

Skills - 11pp (22 ranks)
  • Insight 8 (+8)
  • Investigation 6 (+8)
  • Persuasion 8 (+9)
  • Close Combat: Tar-Form 8 (+8) [Power-Induced]

Powers - 90pp
Amorphous Mass of Tar (Alternate Form - Liquid)
  • Eject Objects: Multi-Attack Blast 6 (Accurate 3; Quirk - Requires small objects as ammunition)
    • AE Tendril Whip: Burst-Area Strike 10
    • AE Weaponized Limbs: Strike 10 (Variable Descriptor - Close Group: Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing)
  • Stretched Mass: Elongation 4 (up to 120 feet)
  • Engulf: Concentration Snare 10 (Grab-based; Close Range; Feedback; Instant Recovery)
  • Liquefy: Insubstantial 1 - Liquid (Precise)
    • AE Solidify: Protection 6
  • Molecular Cohesion - Movement 4 (Trackless; Slithering; Wall-Crawling 2)
  • Nonhuman Physiology - Immunity 11 (Life Support; Sleep)
  • Reconstitute - Immortality 10 (Recover in 1 hour; Quirk - Mass separated from the whole causes Affliction - Hindered / Disabled)
  • Slippery: Enhanced Trait 14 (Dodge 5 [+10]; Parry 5 [+10]; Close Combat: Tar Form 8 [+8])

Defenses - 27pp
  • Dodge: 10/5
  • Parry: 10/5
  • Fortitude: 8
  • Toughness: 7/1
  • Will: 12

Offense
  • Eject Objects - Multi-Attack Blast 6 +8 (DC 21; Crit 20)
  • Engulf - Snare 10, +8 (DC Dodge 20; Crit 20)
  • Grab - (DC 12 [Improved Grab]; Bludgeoning; Crit 20)
  • Tendril Whip - Burst Area Strike 10 (DC 25)
  • Throw - +2 (DC 15; Bludgeoning; Crit 20)
  • Unarmed - 0 (DC 15; Bludgeoning; Crit 20)
  • Weaponized Limbs 10 - +8 (DC 25; Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing; Crit 20)
Last edited by MistahFixIt on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:46 am

I think Sean is probably going to have a lot of empathy for Tar-Girl. :)

Which reminds me, I need to start thinking up a cool 'Hero name' for Sean...
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Still waffling on my build a bit. Since her tar-form powers are always 'on', I keep thinking that, no, it's not an Alternate Form Container, she just has those powers straight-up.

If you want me to do it another way EPIC, lemme know.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Ok, so all the Niche's I was looking at have been snapped up in the few days I've been away. So the two concepts I'm looking at, which I don't think will step on anyone's toes are:

Energy Controller - specifically Electromagnetic energy. Base Power would be a Variable Descriptor, Ranged Damage effect with a few alternate powers like blinding lights etc. He'd also have some Radio communication powers in there, perhaps some travel powers too.

OR

Fate Controller - This is a Time Controller with a difference, able to affect the future and the past without ever going there. I see him having several powers covered by "Luck" type effects (Indirect Damage from accidents, maybe an Affliction or two from Jinx type effects - hell, maybe Even Luck Control), but there'd also be a Transform Affliction, used to reflect the fact that he can change someone's past...

Let me know what you think. I can stat both up.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 pm

@FixIt - Build it in whatever way you feel is appropriate. I don't know the full scope of what you envision, so I can't really suggest much.

@Millennium - jackrow already submitted an energy controller that uses fire and shadow, and ursine's submission uses force daggers (along with an eclectic mix of other powers), the electromagnetic energy controller generates a bit less appeal than a controller or some less commonly used energy like cold or a non-energy like water or earth would. The time/fate manipulator does get my attention though. I'm not sure I've seen anyone go that particular route with time or luck/probability-based characters, so it definitely gets my vote of interest between the two.

@Everyone - When i get home after work today, I'm going to go over all the finished submissions, but only the one that have pre-amnesia background and complications set in and go over the mechanics.

Anyone who's played with me in the past knows I'm a nut for the mechanical aspect of a character just as much as I am for the fluff, and I like to see the two interacting and supporting one another. (When i see a background that states the character does something that the build doesn't actually support that the character is even capable of, it makes me grind my teeth. True story) I'll post any changes I'd like to see for anyone, but I also support player feedback on other PCs. It helps by drawing attention to potential issues that I may overlook, or have a difference of opinion on.

You can post here, or PM me anything you'd prefer to point out anonymously.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Ok, so here's my submission:

RISK
Caleb Summers

Caleb was born and raised in Brooklyn. The son of two police officers, most expected him to go straight into the force when he was old enough. His father knew different though. Eli Summers knew his boy was smart and, lets be honest, wasn't exactly a prime physical specimen, so he had Caleb pegged to go down a different road. He was proved right when his boy decided to go to law school.

After years of study Caleb was accepted to the bar and started to carve out a name for himself as an excellent lawyer. He may not have been the most polished court-room performer but there was more than one old hand that could see some potential in the young man. Some even said that the DA had his eye on the young Summers.

But New York's legal system was getting to Caleb. Crooks were getting away on technicalities, thugs were falling through the cracks because of stupid mistakes made by cops or other lawyers; little bits of luck stealing justice from those that deserved it. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Eli Summers was shot "in the line" by a man who'd walked free from a collapsed DA case.

Caleb quit the firm he was working for, tired of fighting a system that didn't work. He lived on his savings for a few months until eventually he began to lift out of his funk. He was starting to look at practising again, maybe even trying to get into politics; changing the system from within perhaps.

Except he's just woken up in a bed, and he has no idea where he is...

Abilities
STR 0, STA 0, AGL 0, DEX 0, FGT 0, INT 2, AWE 2, PRE 1

Skills
Deception 4 (+5), Expertise [Finance] 4 (+6), Expertise [Law] 8 (+10), Insight 2 (+4), Investigate 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+5)

Advantages
Luck 5, Uncanny Dodge

Powers
Game of Chance - 25pp
Roll the Dice Luck Control 4 (Bestow Luck, Force Re-Roll, Negate Luck, Spend on Other; Area [Burst], Selective; Luck 5)

Charmed Life (Multiple Effects) - 42pp
Defensive Luck Protection 10 (Sustained)
Nick of Time Enhanced Trait 21 (Dodge +10, Parry +10, Uncanny Dodge)
Lucky Escape Immortality 10 (1 hour; Limited [Circumstances of plausible survival])
Gambler Feature (Always wins at games of chance)

Pull the Threads of Fate (Array) - 41pp
BP: Catastrophe Damage 10 (Increased Range 2 [Perception], Indirect 4, Subtle 2, Variable Descriptor [Accidents])
AP: Altered Past Affliction 10 (Dazed, Stunned, Transformed, Resisted by Will; Increased Range 2 [Perception])
AP: Jinx Affliction 10 (Impaired & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Disabled, Resisted by Will; Increased Range 2 [Perception], Indirect 4, Insidious, Subtle 2; Limited [Limited Degree])
AP: Lucky Break Deflect 10 (Increased Range 1 [Perception])
AP: Not As Bad As It Looks Healing 8 (Increased Range 2 [Perception], Subtle 2)

Combat
Dodge 0 (10), Parry 0 (10), Fortitude 8, Toughness 0 (10), Will 12
Initiative +0

Complications
Unintended Consequences: Sometimes tinkering with Fate is the wrong thing to do. Very occasionally, Caleb may pull on the wrong thread and drastically alter the world in a way he never intended. This could mean accidentally aiding an enemy's plan, or hurting someone that he never intended. Essentially the GM can decide if a use of Caleb's power is the "little acorn" that causes a whole series of problems to grow

Paradox: Sometimes Fate will snap back, preventing Caleb doing what he wanted. Fighting in the desert and a meteor hits your enemy? There's a good chance of it happening. 17 meteors hitting your enemies precisely? That pushes the limits of credibility - and reality knows this. If Caleb pushes his powers to the limit of credibility, reality may hit him with the effect he intended for someone else!

Design Note
:arrow: Risk is a Luck Controller that works on two levels. The first is 'Game of Chance', which is the standard Luck Control power that allows the shuffling of Hero/Luck Points

:arrow: The next step up from Luck Control is Caleb's ability to tug on the strings of Fate, altering both the past and future of his chosen target. He can cause an unfortunate accident "Catastrophe", or subtly tug the strings of Fate so that his target is doomed to fail with "Jinx".

:arrow: His power can also be beneficial. If he's quick enough he can change someone's future so that they survive a horrible accident with "Lucky Break", or change the past of an injured person so that the injury wasn't as bad as it first looked. The subtle 2 on the Healing here means that no-one will know that the target was even healed.

:arrow: I lifted Lucky Escape straight from the Luck power profile because I really like it. It's essentially great for those "But we saw you fall out that plane!" moments :)

:arrow: Last, but very much not least, is the Altered Past power. Caleb can reach back into the threads of someone's life and pull them to alter their very past! The transform allows Caleb to shuffle points around, and remove them (but not grant any) to reflect the change in someone's history. This might also include trading a powerpoint for a Feature allowing the target to remember the original version of their life... kinda like Clarence does to George in "It's a Wonderful Life" :)
Last edited by Millennium on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:27 pm

As promised, here I go:

@Lord Godiva - The build as mentioned, is really well done. Lots of afflictions will see him rarely without an option. One thing that stands out is your 0 Parry/Dodge, which is never a good idea and not something I encourage. Nor is having an offset high Toughness with a very high rank in Regen (20 is far too high for anyone toughness-shifted). Off hand, I think you can do to drop Perception range since most of your effects are area, so you could re-direct the points towards your defenses and meet your caps properly. Your weaken does not specify what it is weakening, nor do you specify which perception is being used for Perception Area. Do the enemies need to see you? Smell you? And so on. Besides that, you need a background and other information. "Sherlock with plant powers" isn't going to cut it.

@levinwurth - I know you use Herolab (I hate Herolab, therefor do NOT use it), but I really wish Herolab would list point costs of things, because since it's uses program-annotation shortcut powers like Mental Blast, it doesn't list the power construct properly as; Damage X, Perception, Alt Save(Will) so I don't have to try and remember more than I have to. If you could fix that, I'd really appreciate it. I dislike shortcut annotations in builds. But onto the rest of it.

The build is very simple and straight forward. He's pretty much what you promised, a psychic brute, which is a different take on the archetype since most psions are more subtle. I like it. Your temper complication could use more fluff to explain his hot buttons, I don't like just general bad temper as a complication. I need to know what really dips his socks in acid.

For his background, the last line doesn't tie in with the story of the game where he doesn't start off knowing his past. It should be viewed as a sort of fresh slate for the character. Same goes for the personality, you lay out a personality that is based on his past and experience as oppose to one of a man who wakes up and realizes he has amazing powers. The background ITSELF I like for it's kind of anti-climactic feel, if he does learn of it, it's so "Wait, what?! I was that lame?" sort of.

@metool2 - Like Levin, your background leans towards forgetting the plot of the game where he didn't get his powers randomly one day. He wakes up in a room with amnesia and powers, and from an OOC standpoint, your character did not have powers prior to the event that had found them in their current situation.

That having been said, I have no issues with the build or the character's presented personality. In fact, for a speedster, I immensely like the fresh take on the archetype. It's refreshing to see a speedster not basically a photocopy of Flash. I like the idea of "Didn't See it Coming", but feel it could do with Indirect to really get the point across, especially since your Teleport doesn't have Turndabout. But that's about the only thing that stands out. (Though you could drop the Enhanced Skills for Unarmed and Polearm, take the points and put them into "Close Combat" advantage 8 times for the same effect, and be able to use other weapons as well. Just sayin')

Basically, I like it, though I can see a few things that could be tweaked to make it even better.

@Nineofspades - I like what you did with Rose's background and personality, using the amnesia as a blank slate for her personality(as mentioned previously), free of her old responsibilities that stressed her. Another author too, heh.

Now for the build..I've always had a hard time reading size changers due to the shifting defenses....but I think I see what you've done here, so I'm trusting your math on the matter. The flaw on the array itself I am not okay with, mostly because it makes no sense in context, and Array is not a proper power in 3E as it was in 2E. Array does not have ranks, so cannot have a flaw on it to limit the ranks it has. If you were to apply the flaw to the powers IN the array individually, that would be fine (which would have a similar effect, but be mechanically correct)

Burst Out only prevents damage from growing into a place smaller than can contain you, it won't necessarily break them (until it fails vs your strength of your current size). I think you may also want Burrowing, Limited to while growing, Limited to material hardness less than strength value(1/3 ranks), so 3pp will let you burst from your normal size to full size, ripping through almost everything in your path (meaning if I throw something you can't automatically burst through, it'll be as a temp complication). But that's up to you if you wanna do that instead of being Immune to the crushing damage of growing.

I think that's all though. I like her otherwise.

@jackrow - You still have no background or personality listed, so I have no context fo rwhy you have certain things, like maxed out acrobatics.

Shadow and Fire is an odd combination and as I result, makes your build look a little watered down to accommodate both. I'm not sure what "Easy to maintain" on your concealment is supposed to be as no such extra exists(unless it's from Darkness powers which I do not have yet), but yeah....the build looks a little weaker than it could be if you focused on one type rather than fire and shadow, and no background so I can't really say much else.

@Cinder - John Smith, yeah, saw what you did there. He's pretty straight forward. I really have nothing to say to add or change unless you plan to make any tweaks to him.

@Coyotzin - I love the build. I like the use of requiring her to use one of two of her abilities to use most of the others. I was worried when I saw Improved Critical 4, but then I saw where it came from with the Limited to Fatigued targets and was "Oh, okay. I can live with that". This looks like something with the kind of mechanical acrobatics I would try to implement, which is probably why I like it.

I would think she'd have more Deception (not necessarily Expertise: Acting), which is to say any at all, but otherwise, that's my only nit pick with it. I would like to see what else you have in store for the fluff, though it looks like you're off to a good start.

(Are you aware you spell the character's name three different ways in your complications?)

@ursinethemadbear - I never saw Unforgiven, so i have NO concept of the reference. That in mind, he's looking like young Superman with force daggers. The background is nice and simple (noticing a theme with people having rough and or checkered backgrounds, which I suppose is an appeal to this kind of "You wake up without your memory.." kind of games since you get the blank slate to play with while also dealing with potential issues from that past), so it works. and is self motivating which is a bonus. Now for the build...

The Limit you're using on Concealment is more of a Quirk by my reckoning (I've used the same thing for another character elsewhere), the variable on your Multiattack should have the second rank for such a broad descriptor of "Any melee attack", and you also have Improved Critical on your force daggers, which makes me a little on the iffy side like Mei-Ying, except you don't have the limit to balance it out.

Basically, he's an ass-kicking machine, built to wreck any foe's day and not a lot else. The power set doesn't really match the force knives since he's basically a mini-paragon/super soldier quasi-speedster in some regards and then, force knives out of left field. I think that's my biggest issue with the character is that his powers doesn't really seem to to cleanly fit any particular niche. He's paragonish in some ways, speedster in others, and one application of energy control.

@MistahFixIt - It`s a small nitpick on the background, but she doesn't "currently" work anywhere. Again, missing the transition of having gone missing and waking up with amnesia as a few people have done. That being said, I can associate pretty well with her personality, lol. The concept is an interesting take on the elemental, and it looks like you pulled it off rather well.

A few notes: Immunity Life Support includes Starvation/Thirst, so you've got it twice. I like the Quirk on Reconstitute, but I would like it more as misplaced mass results in Impaired or even Disabled status until recovered. Much more interesting to me. And the Multiattack ranged damage seems like a waste of space.... rank 7 at +2 to hit, put it at a PL4.5 attack, which is waaaaaaaay weak, and due to low accuracy, you lose a lot of the versatility of being able to multitarget with it. My suggestion would be drop it to rank 6, and place the points into Accurate to balance it out (and not disrupt the cost of your array as a whole in the process), by my calculations, as a 20pp power, it would become rank 6 attack at +8 to hit, making it a PL7 attack, which is MUCH better as an off attack as it appears ot be meant to be (since she seems to be more melee or mid-range oriented rather than long)

Otherwise looking pretty good.

@Millennium - Last but certainly not least. I love the concept. Limited: Circumstances of plausable survival made me immediately think of Indiana Jones in the refrigerator and I rofled pretty hard.

But let's look at the mechanics... Lucky Break really doesn't work very well as history shows since most people have Toughness to caps, and would be better done as a Deflect power, or alternatively, granting them Impervious on their toughness up to their toughness rank, which is arguably less effective since it is still limited to the toughness possessed by the character affected. So Deflect is the easy choice.

His background is nice, but the complication don't make sense in the context of his present predicament. He'll have to relearn how bad the justice system is and that he even has a mother before they would be applicable. Some other complications among the other characters are in the field, but you only HAVE these two where the other had others that would be applicable in the meantime, so you may wish to consider a few more that would be more applicable to the amnesiac.

All in all, a nice twist and hybrid of the time and luck controller.

@Everyone - I left this one to the end because it applies to a few people. Anyone who has Contacts, Connected, Well Informed or any kind of Wealth or resource-based Advantage, you have to take it off. I don't mind if you set the points aside as a reserve for later(and since you'll earn points over time, you may as well spend the points on other things now rather than save them), but you may NOT take those advantages until you've earned them in the game, generally by reaquiring them, or in some case, uncovering that aspect of your past. Your characters have amnesia, thus no knowledge of their resources or contacts, so it makes no sense at all to be on your sheet.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 pm

And with that and ten submissions, and it being Monday night, I'm going to cut off additional interest.

I'll give everyone a week to make changes, tweak, finalize, etc, or until everyone chimes in they're done with anything they want to do (no point making everyone wait longer than necessary).

I am presently thinking 5 people, regardless of which five I take, will be an interesting and well diverse party.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 am

Fair point on the lucky break. When I put it together I was really thinking about civilians, but you're right that Deflect works better. I'll sort out some new complications.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 am

EPIC wrote:@levinwurth - I know you use Herolab (I hate Herolab, therefor do NOT use it), but I really wish Herolab would list point costs of things, because since it's uses program-annotation shortcut powers like Mental Blast, it doesn't list the power construct properly as; Damage X, Perception, Alt Save(Will) so I don't have to try and remember more than I have to. If you could fix that, I'd really appreciate it. I dislike shortcut annotations in builds. But onto the rest of it.

Hopefully I've fixed this now - I've done it from work, trying to remember point costs from memory. If I've miscosted something it's not because I'm trying to cheat you. :)

Just let me know if I've made an error and I'll correct it as soon as I'm in front of Hero Lab.

The build is very simple and straight forward. He's pretty much what you promised, a psychic brute, which is a different take on the archetype since most psions are more subtle. I like it. Your temper complication could use more fluff to explain his hot buttons, I don't like just general bad temper as a complication. I need to know what really dips his socks in acid.

Hopefully fixed this for you.

For his background, the last line doesn't tie in with the story of the game where he doesn't start off knowing his past. It should be viewed as a sort of fresh slate for the character. Same goes for the personality, you lay out a personality that is based on his past and experience as oppose to one of a man who wakes up and realizes he has amazing powers. The background ITSELF I like for it's kind of anti-climactic feel, if he does learn of it, it's so "Wait, what?! I was that lame?" sort of.

To be honest, I've kinda worked with the Amnesia trope in that while he doesn't remember who he is or most of his past, I figure he's not completely a blank slate since he wouldn't have a personality at all, right? He doesn't understand or remember why he reacts the way he does, for sure. I've modified his personality write up some, but I'd be grateful for further guidance.
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Stuffs have been added and edited for Mei-Ying here.

I followed your advice and made space for Deception, as she's going to need it to get close to people and feed from them. I reduced her Presence but compensated by giving her the second rank of Attractive (that is, she's drop-dead cute when fed, but drab and unnoticeable when chi-starved). Removed Precise Attack and Half-Immunity to Fatigue, since she has already other things to compensate for that (like penetrating concealment against her victims and both Great Endurance and Die Hard).

Fleshed out her background to include the name of her starring film, and added the Complication: Cult Status to signify how well far her career could have advanced if not for life happening.

Also fixed the alternate spellings :) "Feng" means Phoenix, and I added it as I thought up of the Complications while I assembled the build.

zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby zeone3000 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

That's what I get for being sick...

I'm guessing equipment/devices would be out of the question too then. I have this psionic gunslinger I've been wanting to play.
]My first fanfic - Log of the Grinning Shadow - Chapter four is now up! Enjoy!

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah. Specialized devices would be pretty limited, even considering the fact you'd not have it at all for the first part of the game.

Sometimes certain concepts simply don't work. :/ A fact I know all too well.

Return to “M&M Game Room”