Crinoverse: Nights of Horror OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Crinoverse: Nights of Horror OOC

Postby Crinos » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm

*Sigh* Alright we're trying this again.

This is a PL 6/90 point Horror campaign. 3rd edition. The PC's will be a group of hunters. Who have been left a library of information on various monsters and horrors by one of their late uncles, so they decide to use it to go around the country and hunt monsters. Expect to face creatures from various sources: Folklore, horror films, DND monster manuals, literature, Web stories like the Fear Mythos, Creepypasta's and SCP's, and so forth.

Some notes:

*Like the ARCADE game, Player characters will be normal humans. The emphasis here is on equal parts investigation and combat. So keep that in mind.
* This time I am going for a smaller group: only four players will get in. Unlike my other games I will wait a week until everyone submits a character then I will pick my four favorites. The others will be in reserve.
*No super powers, you can have the inventor or ritualist feat, but that is it. Actually I recommend you at least have someone with one of these feats, cause you may encounter creatures that need to be banished/exorcised/sealed away.
*This next part I am going to have to be a hardass on. I expect everyone to post AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. I am going to say this again. AT. LEAST. ONCE. A. DAY. That means physically coming to this site, coming to the thread, reading the new posts and contributing to keep the story going. I don't want people who just post every couple of days. I don't want people just subscribing to the thread and then telling me they didn't know it had updated because they didn't get an email. If you have personal problems which prevent you from posting, then you better have a damn good reason why not, and you are expected to get caught up as soon as possible. If you do not post for three days, without a good reason, or if you need to leave for an extended period of time, then I reserve the right to kill your character in a gruesome fashion and replace them with someone from the reserves. I am sorry to be so draconian here, but after the failure in the ARCADE game I kind of feel like I have to be stricter with people. It doesn't take five minutes to come here, write a little one sentence post. It doesn't even have to be anything more complex than "My character farts around while the others talk" or something like that. Just show me you are actually interested in playing in my game. If you aren't, then I don't wish to know you.

Also, if you do drop off and I kill your character, and you want back in, then you can submit a new one, but you're going to the bottom of the reserve waiting list.
Last edited by Crinos on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Crinoverse: Nights of Horror (Recruiting)

Postby Belial666 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 am

What weapons are you allowing as equipment?

For example, could we get a 25mm antimateriel rifle or elephant gun to deal with pesky fey (steel-jacketed rounds), vampires (large rounds easily decapitate people) and werewolves (silver core rounds) ? Could we get an FGM-148 Javelin for use against large, hardened targets like giants, shoggoths, qliphoths and manifested demons? Could we have a few atomic demolition charges for when we have to clear an infested town or a large nest of monsters no matter what?

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:45 am

Belial666 wrote:What weapons are you allowing as equipment?

For example, could we get a 25mm antimateriel rifle or elephant gun to deal with pesky fey (steel-jacketed rounds), vampires (large rounds easily decapitate people) and werewolves (silver core rounds) ? Could we get an FGM-148 Javelin for use against large, hardened targets like giants, shoggoths, qliphoths and manifested demons? Could we have a few atomic demolition charges for when we have to clear an infested town or a large nest of monsters no matter what?

Well I'm not going to let you use nukes unless its a special circumstance. It really depends on what kind of resources the PC's purchase and which ones I pick. If someone plays an ex con or an army guy, you may be able to get stuff from the black market. If someone plays a rich guy who hunts for kicks, then you can probably buy some weapons, if you play a mad scientist you may be able to make stuff.

But also keep in mind the issue of legality. Javelins are not exactly street legal, and one of the NPC's I have in mind is an FBI agent who occasionally calls on you if she has an... unusual case. She may tolerate you if your useful (And just assume you're part of some crazy militia or anarchist collective) but if she finds out you guys are trying to get Yellow Cake uranium to make a suitcase nuke, she may not take "But we need it to blow up Cthulhu!" as an acceptable excuse.

Also, if you start messing around with radioactive material, I reserve the right to release atomic monsters upon you. :wink:

Also: I really want to see a character from you, cause from the sound of it you have a real good idea of what I'm about with this game.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am

I was thinking about Dante; but since I am running a stage magician in another game, that may cause issues for me moving forward.

I will try to come up with another idea.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 am

Believe it or not, the 25mm rifle in question is street-legal in the US. The company went and got a "sporting exemption" for a weapon that is an order of magnitude more powerful per shot than most military or police issue firearms. So as long as you claim it is used for sport and you don't go shooting up armored vehicles or blowing up people's heads for fun, you can legally have it. The Javelin and the nukes aren't, though - so that might be an issue.

So, other question. How well-trained are we supposed to be against monsters? For example, I see the Winchester brothers from the "Supernatural" series as having lots and lots of "Second Chance" advantages against attacks by monsters. There's no way they could have survived against what they do survive against in a regular basis even in the mechanics of a system like M&M that is quite forgiving about damage and death.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:03 am

Belial666 wrote:Believe it or not, the 25mm rifle in question is street-legal in the US. The company went and got a "sporting exemption" for a weapon that is an order of magnitude more powerful per shot than most military or police issue firearms. So as long as you claim it is used for sport and you don't go shooting up armored vehicles or blowing up people's heads for fun, you can legally have it. The Javelin and the nukes aren't, though - so that might be an issue.

So, other question. How well-trained are we supposed to be against monsters? For example, I see the Winchester brothers from the "Supernatural" series as having lots and lots of "Second Chance" advantages against attacks by monsters. There's no way they could have survived against what they do survive against in a regular basis even in the mechanics of a system like M&M that is quite forgiving about damage and death.

Lets assume that you guys have been hunting for about a year by yourselves before meeting up with one another. You have some knowledge of supernatural beings, but much of your info comes from the uncles library.

And as for equipment, lets just assume you can buy anything you can get legally as per normal. Anything else may require appropriate feats and an accompanied roll.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 am

Hrrm... Fascinating. I'll see if I can't get something up by the end of the day. I'm not too worried about the restriction of weapons being limited to 'legal and typical', as plenty of monster-hunting materials are made of otherwise completely mundane items ;P (Cold-Forged Iron, Silver, Garlic, Holy Water, White Oak, etc.) Of course, finding a supplier who will sell them to you in large, bulk quantities without asking too many questions might be a bit harder.

The character I'm probably going to end up playing is going to be an... well not 'rich', but 'independently wealthy' eccentric genius who, as rich people are wont to do, got bored with hunting the typical game, and kept looking for bigger and bigger challenges; right up until one of those 'bigger challenges' nearly took his face off. Suffice to say, he took that last offense kinda personal-like. ;P

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am

I'm thinking of playing a guy who's an ex police officer and armorer, whose son was kidnapped by ruthless fey. So he started building his own special weapons to take them down.

So a gunfighter type with the Artificer Advantage-pretty simple.

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am

A couple more questions, before making a concept;

Will we get any powers during the course of the game? (sort of how the Winchester boys became immune to possession, got some powers and ended up hosts for angels)

Why is the group hunting in the first place other than family tradition? I.e. is every (or even most) monster out there eating humans and need killing, are humans naturally against any other sentient race sharing their own little mudball in the Cosmos or is there another background, setting-wide reason for it?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I imagine the group's motivations depend on the person in question.

This is still the Crinoverse proper (I think), so there are probably as many different motivations as there are character concepts floating around. Which is to say, one whole hell of a lot.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Belial666 wrote:A couple more questions, before making a concept;

Will we get any powers during the course of the game? (sort of how the Winchester boys became immune to possession, got some powers and ended up hosts for angels)

Why is the group hunting in the first place other than family tradition? I.e. is every (or even most) monster out there eating humans and need killing, are humans naturally against any other sentient race sharing their own little mudball in the Cosmos or is there another background, setting-wide reason for it?

The crinoverse is basically a mashup of countless settings.

The basic premise is this: Alongside humans exist numerous supernatural creatures: Vampires, Fey, aliens, Werewolves, demons, angels and the like. Some of these creatures are benign or indifferent to humanity, but many more are dangerous to humanity.

There is also the Imageria, which is basically a spirit world which consists of all of humanities dreams and myths. All Heavens, Hells, and other afterlives and fantasy worlds exist here, and its the home to strange entities and stranger lands.

Obstinently, this is meant as a super hero setting, with a wide variety of super powered heroes fighting against equally colorful villains. Among super heroes the mystical world is well known and respected, and heroes are often pitted against the supernatural.

This is a more mundane game, where mortal hunters fight the monsters that slip through the cracks. Away from the big cities where Super heroes are uncommon, people can pretend that the supernatural isn't real. And unless its a special organization like AEGIS (The SHIELD analog), mundane police organizations would rather not deal with the supernatural if they can avoid it, and often write it off as a hoax.

Among the supernatural of the crinoverse there is no real enforced masquerade: Most supernaturals don't try and hide their existence, but they also realize that its safer if people don't recognize them, so they stay quiet most of the time. Some monster groups in the cities where super heroes are prevalent live in their own communities. One major examples are fable town analogs found in Los Dios and New York, where Gods and demons and fairy tale creatures can be seen walking around on the street. There is also a vampire activist group called "Vampire Nation", which seek integration with humanity. Several companies make blood substitutes which can be used by vampires for sustenance in lieu of real blood, but most agree it tastes terrible.

ANYWHO, as for powers, I can let you gain powers through the course of gaming (Mutations, Magic artifacts, spells), but since this is a horror game, use of these items will have horrible side effects of consequences. Using mutations will turn you into a horrible monster over time, artifacts will have some terrible side effect, spells have a chance of misfiring and calling forth some ineffable horror, and what have you.

This game will largely be a horror/Urban fantasy style game. The supernatural exists alongside humanity, and can be dangerous to humanity, but not always: The vampire commune may just be peaceful bohemian types, the cult dedicated to Yog Sototh may just be astrologers with no intention of unleashing the elder God, The Werewolf may just be protecting its cubs. Conversely, the dangerous ones may be night templar hunters who go after anything supernatural, even if its friendly to mankind.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:I'm thinking of playing a guy who's an ex police officer and armorer, whose son was kidnapped by ruthless fey. So he started building his own special weapons to take them down.

So a gunfighter type with the Artificer Advantage-pretty simple.

That would be good. Actually I'm thinking of making the first big bad of this season one of this a tribe of Fey trying to free their king.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:I imagine the group's motivations depend on the person in question.

This is still the Crinoverse proper (I think), so there are probably as many different motivations as there are character concepts floating around. Which is to say, one whole hell of a lot.

Yeah, its the crinoverse proper.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Question: How broad of a category would you allow for a character to take as a 'Favored Foe' ? 'Undead' strikes me as a bit too broad for the purposes of this particular game, but would you allow something like 'Animated Dead' (i.e. ghouls and zombies) or 'Spirits', per se?

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 pm

MistahFixIt wrote:Question: How broad of a category would you allow for a character to take as a 'Favored Foe' ? 'Undead' strikes me as a bit too broad for the purposes of this particular game, but would you allow something like 'Animated Dead' (i.e. ghouls and zombies) or 'Spirits', per se?

Well, certain types of creatures can fall under varying purview. "Vampire" contains probably three dozen different creatures which can be considered vampires or related species. Ditto werewolves.

I would allow for something as broad as "Vampire" Or Werewolf to be used, but unless you specify a specific subspecies you specialize in killing, then I could always rule that the creature, while vampire like, is not close enough to what you know as a vampire to apply for your favored enemy.

For more general creatures like Fey, I would require you to name a specific type of Fey (Goblins, Trolls, Sidhe, etc.) Ditto spirits (Which I would divide as Angels, Demons, Ghosts, Elementals, Conceptual spirits, etc.) Same would go for animated dead (Which would be divided into Ghouls, Zombies, Wights, Vampires, etc.)

Also, when it comes to Ghouls, there are numerous creatures that use that name: Undead DnD style Ghouls, Arabic Ghuls (Which are more akin to demons), Lovecraftian Ghouls (Which are huge dog like monsters who sometimes replace human children with their own like Fey), and even the Ghouls from GURPS fantasy folk (Who are an evolutionary offshoot of humanity who eat corpses and human brains but are otherwise peaceful and inoffensive to humanity.)

Return to “M&M Game Room”