Crinoverse: Nights of horror IC (Man in the Box)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Crinoverse: Nights of horror IC (Man in the Box)

Postby Crinos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 pm

The Crinoverse: Nights of Horror
Eat the Rich
Our House
Lock and Key
Heart of Glass
Man in the Box

Its midnight in Boston, rain coming down in sheets, a cold and miserable night.

Brian, you are currently in your uncles estate. He had passed away about two weeks ago, and left you his mansion. You were contacted by his estate while investigating a Troll sighting in upstate New York, you almost didn't bother, but then you recalled your uncle had been a famous author who had written numerous books about the occult and supernatural. For some reason you felt it was a good idea to check out his estate.

And its a good thing you did. Because your uncle seems to have one of the largest collections of supernatural knowledge you have ever witnessed. You have only been hunting for about a year, and most of the stuff you've gotten was either trial and error, gleaned from fairy tales, or just plain dumb luck, but from the looks of it your uncle was at this for years, and had an amazing body of knowledge regarding the paranormal, ranging from the diaries of hunters, to biological studies, collections of myths and legends, newspaper clippings, and more.

There are also two other items left to you by your uncle: A human skull, and an iron lock. Both of them in the library. The will stipulated that the two items be protected at all cost, in particular the lock. From the looks it seems like a normal old fashioned padlock, made of solid iron, with no key.

The skull is a different matter. It is well polished, a real human skull with several teeth missing. Whenever you are alone with it you get the feeling it is watching you. And a few times you swear its been moved around when you are not looking. You were almost tempted to destroy it, but whenever it does something weird like that, you somehow manage to stumble onto some notes from the library on whatever monster you are currently hunting.

This night, as you read up some of the notes.There is a knock at the door. When you answer, five strangers are standing outside.

The five of you each received an anonymous letter in the past two weeks, inviting you to this particular house, at this particular time. Each of you have arrived here by whatever means you normally travel, and are now standing on this guys porch.
Last edited by Crinos on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Crinoverse: Nights of horror IC (Lovecraft in Boston)

Postby stavaros-the-arcane » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 am

It had been difficult for Karl to get here, he didn't have a car of his own and public transit at this hour was a nightmare. But he had made it.

He still wasn't sure why he was walking into a potential trap like this but he they knew where he lived and as far as packing up and relocating he didn't have many options. He might as well at least find out who he's up against.

As he headed towards the porch his hand never strayed from the knife hidden up his sleeve. Especially not when he noticed that he wasn't the only one here.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am

Rose
HP: 1
LP: 1

Rose had been the first to arrive. The letter had instructed her to wait on the porch until up to five others had arrived. She wondered if she should ignore the instruction and simply knock on the door. She was hungry and such a richly appointed house probably had a large kitchen. She spent the last of the money the Andersons had given her and as a result had eaten little in the last few days. The Andersons had a son who was being stalked by a ghost. Rose had handled the creature and they had been truly thankful, giving her enough money to last about three weeks.

She had made her way up from Connecticut and now stood dripping wet in her only set of contemporary clothes. She tugged at the leather jacket as she looked down at the tight jeans she wore. The girl at the store had helped her with this outfit and pronounced it “dangerous.” Rose was unsure why she had said that, this jacket gave her about the same protection as her old armor, which she saved for actual combat. The long hockey bag at her feet stored this armor along with her bow, arrows and sword. Her knives were more accessible: one in a sheath in the small of her back and the other strapped beneath her right arm.

When the second of the five had arrived she eyed him anxiously and touched the knife inside her coat.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 am

A knock? The last person to visit had been his uncle's lawyer, and that had been only once, the day after he signed the place over to Brian and Brian spent his first night here. Honestly, the place creeped him out, but not in a strange and unusual way, just that it was a really big place and he was all alone. That damn skull didn't help matters.

So when someone showed up, he had no idea who it might be. Brian did know that he was in no shape to deserve company-it had been about a year since he moved out of his old house, and he still hadn't gotten used to living in one place. His hair was a mess, his eyes were bleary from studying ancient tomes and scrolls, and he hadn't showered in 2 days. The only reason he was even awake at midnight still was because he often lost track of time while reading. He had never known the Modrossus was actually three entities instead of one ancient spirit/god. That was only the beginning of what he had learned-along with some stuff about why the Sidhe took human children. Geoff was only six when he was taken, he'd be seven now. How old before they started using him as slave labor, or breeding stock?

With these and worse thoughts in head, Brian went to the door. His flannel shirt was untucked and his pants needed ironing. He had his longcoat on, though-he only took it off to sleep now. Claire, his knife, and the lock were tucked in its recesses, in easy reach. He wondered exactly what he was getting into as he opened the door.

Five of them, all seemingly human. Maybe this was it, maybe he had finally pissed off the wrong Fey-they were all connected somehow, with weird ties of loyalty, liege lords and ladies, tribal and familial connections that made his head spin. The immature troll he blew to hell might well have had powerful friends, friends who wanted him dead. Could they be glamored? Brian doubted it-the first thing he'd done since getting in was set up bells along most of the house's entrances. When he opened the front door, bells attached to the back jangled loudly, like an out of tune Christmas procession. He waited for the tinkles to recede, watching the five-nothing.

"Who are you?" He paused looking them over-three men, two women. He was taller than most of the woman, although the blonde was exactly the kind of person the term 'leggy' had been coined for-she was only a few inches shorter than his 6'3 frame. And a knockout, not that he was much interested in that sort of thing anymore. Still in love with Claire.

"The writer, Jameson Caxton doesn't live here anymore. He passed away."

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 am

Alexandra
HP: 1 Condition: :?:

The tall blonde is momentarily distracted. Left booted foot tapping against the pavement in annoyance, new black jeans creaking at sudden moves, she is looking around the house and surrounding buildings with the air of someone not from around here. She's examining something official-looking in her wallet and muttering about an "LTC-A form" and the slowness of bureaucracy. At least there's a hint of satisfaction in the end about having gotten whatever that was in the nick of time.
It is quite obvious she just hiked several miles to get here, perhaps from the train station or the airport. She certainly seems athletic enough for it -there's muscle playing under those curves- even if the large backpack, reinforced but comfortable footwear and plain clothes with just a hint or two of dust weren't a giveaway. Long blonde hair caught in a ponytail, green eyes shifting from detail to detail unobtrusively so a casual observer might not realize she's paying attention, the only thing off about her is a medium-sized silver amulet hanging between her breasts. In the form of a 7/3 heptagrammic prism, it is only adorned by a strange script in its center;
אריך אנפי
Upon realizing she has just been spoken to and asked a question, she frowns at the questioner and asks in reply;
May I ask who is asking? I am not entirely sure if this is the right place.

stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby stavaros-the-arcane » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Karl's eyes flicked from person to person. They looked human, but then that meant nothing, however at least the other teenager seemed to be in a stance similar to his that suggested a concealed weapon, and the woman had some sort of amulet. Most monsters he had encountered didn't bother with such things.

So who were these people?

Karl also took out the invitation to check the address and see how the others reacted to the sight of the invitation.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Malcom Hargrove

Malcom looked at his compatriots. At his side was Deacon, the alpha of his hunting pack. So far Deacon hadn't alerted to anything indicating danger. Still, it was good to have a much finer set of senses when the night was this black. The Texan stood out with his hunting boots, cowboy hat, hunting vest, large caliber boar rifle slung over his shoulder and big shiny belt buckle. The others didn't say much, he couldn't get used to the standoffness of folks up north.

"Well, I was told to be here. Name is Malcom Hargrove. Friends call me Mac." His drawl clearly distinguished what area of the country he came from. "This here is Deacon." Malcom reached down and patted the big dog on its head. "Your letter didn't indicate why you needed me here but I am guessing its that you have a were problem."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Despite the last terrible year, Brian was still a polite man at heart, raised by his gammy to be so. "Sorry, should have introduced myself sooner-I'm Brian Caxton, I live here. Jameson, that's my uncle, he passed on and left me this place. I didn't send any letter, though-I don't know any of you, I don't think."

He looked to the teenage boy. This was a strange group to be sure-a Texan and his dogs, a woman who looked like a model, and two kids who looked barely old enough to drive. "Mind if I see that, sir? Maybe its my uncle's writing." Brian had never been close with his uncle, for all he knew, Jameson had invited these people before he passed, thinking he'd still be alive to meet them.

Incidentally, Crinos, does Brian know how his uncle died? Or at least the official cause?

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Despite the last terrible year, Brian was still a polite man at heart, raised by his gammy to be so. "Sorry, should have introduced myself sooner-I'm Brian Caxton, I live here. Jameson, that's my uncle, he passed on and left me this place. I didn't send any letter, though-I don't know any of you, I don't think."

He looked to the teenage boy. This was a strange group to be sure-a Texan and his dogs, a woman who looked like a model, and two kids who looked barely old enough to drive. "Mind if I see that, sir? Maybe its my uncle's writing." Brian had never been close with his uncle, for all he knew, Jameson had invited these people before he passed, thinking he'd still be alive to meet them.

Incidentally, Crinos, does Brian know how his uncle died? Or at least the official cause?

(The cause of death on your uncle is currently unknown. It seems like a heart attack, but there are a lot of creatures that can kill you without leaving a trace.)

The writing is not your uncles, but you do recognize it. It seems to be the same handwriting as a great deal of notes from your uncles library.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Ed Carnby (HP: 1)

Another miserable, rainy night in another grimy city. Ed took a moment to ponder why it was that it always seemed to be raining the night something bad or weird happened to him. His battered old Austin Mini pulled up to the curb as he fished the crumpled letter out of his jacket pocket, reading the letterhead again to confirm the address. When he looked up again, another four people were already standing on the porch, as if showing up early to a house party.

"Oh, fantastic..." Ed muttered idly. Whoever sent him the letter was canvassing a whole group; that couldn't mean anything good, as far as he was concerned. Ed climbs out of his car, slamming the door behind him to save himself the trouble of announcing his arrival. He pulls his leather jacket around him tighter to shut the rain out, adjusting the battered leather holster hanging from the front of his belt. The massive piece of blackened steel that was his handgun caught the porch-light, drawing attention to it like a badge of authority as he caught up to the group as the door opened and their 'host' met them at the door.

"Where's the party?" he asks offhandedly, glancing at each person in turn before settling his attention on the man at the door. "Ed Carnby, professional irritant." he says, offering a rain-soaked hand. "Sorry, private investigator. I get them confused."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 pm

"Brian Caxton," He said, shaking the new man's hand. "I used to be a policeman up in Maine. Look, I recognize this writing. I've seen it on some notes in the house's library. You all got the same letter?" He considered things for a moment. He did not like the idea of inviting all these strangers into his new home. On the other hand, it was barely a home to him yet, just his new house. He'd read somewhere that the threshold that protects people from a lot of supernatural stuff only worked due to the connection between building and person. He didn't have a connection to this mansion yet, there were rooms he hadn't been in more than once. So he didn't have much protection. And there were five of them. Even if they were just regular old folks who wanted him dead, there wasn't much he could do about it. It was midnight, he was tired, bleary-eyed, and outnumbered.

But they seemed just as surprised to see each other as they were to see him. Someone else was pulling strings here. The only clue he had to as to the identity of this person was the handwriting. So he made up his mind.

"Look, if you want, you can come in. Can't rightly leave you standing out in the rain like this. I'm gonna check the handwriting on this letter. Maybe it'll tell us you sent you folks-I get the figure you don't know either."

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Malcom Hargrove

"Well, thank you very much Mr. Claxton." Malcom turned to Deacon. "Guard." The big dog choose a spot on the porch that was out of site from the driveway but had a full view and laid down. Four other slightly smaller dogs came out of the darkness and took up similar positions. "Smart creatures. They will give us early warning if anything comes creeping up. Given the crew here I am guessing we have similar occupations."

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 pm

When you head into the library, wind suddenly begins to pick up, and a wisp of smoke comes out of the skull, and forms into an image of a small, mousy man appears before you.

"Hello Brian, I assume the five I sent for have arrived?"

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

"What the hell?!" Brian's hand instinctively reached for his gun, wrapping around the grip and half-drawing it before he realized who he was looking at.

"Uncle Jameson? Is that...your skull?" He looked at the others.

"Came with the house."

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:"What the hell?!" Brian's hand instinctively reached for his gun, wrapping around the grip and half-drawing it before he realized who he was looking at.

"Uncle Jameson? Is that...your skull?" He looked at the others.

"Came with the house."

"I'm not your uncle Brian. My name is Howard Phillips Lovecraft. I was an associate of your uncle. I would shake your hand, but as you can surmise, that is somewhat... difficult. And to answer your question, yes it is my skull."

Return to “M&M Game Room”