All New, All Different, Doom Patrol (Full)DCA

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: All New, All Different, Doom Patrol (recruiting)DCA

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 pm

@Mr. United- Nice hi-tech commando in Pinpoint. As always, I have just a couple questions and one big concern. First, what generates the +3/-3 swing in his dodge & toughness scores? I wasn't sure exactly what I was missing, so the easiest way to understand is have you tell me. Now, my big concern; I'm not sure a Fort Save of 2 is a great idea in a PL10 game. It seems like a glaring weakness and I'd be really uncomfortable casting him if that sticks. Maybe, since he's got the Ion Blaster and Sword, you could do away with the Assault rifle and other weapons to get some points back for his Fort resistance.

Anyway, other than those concerns/questions, he's a nice build. Can you give me a background on him? I'd be interested in what made him a Doom Patrol sort of guy.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Horsenhero wrote:@Cinder- I love the concept. He's a nice, straight forward build. My only comment would be, I don't think the Quirk applies on his regeneration. When he resurrected as an empowered being, he was flayed and that's his default state. The quirk is essentially saying he can't regenerate to better than his default state, which is the same for every character. His fleshless state makes for a great complication, but it doesn't count for a Flaw, even one as minor as a Quirk. Now, if for some reason he always keeps some indicator of the damage he's taken, thus slowly becoming increasingly more hideous as time goes by, negatively affecting his interaction skills, then I'd say it qualifies as a Quirk.

Heck, the very process of his regeneration could have some visual or audial components that creeped people out (some really nice *squelch* *glorp* sound effects as his body pulls itself back together) that would count as a Quirk because I can give it an in-game effect beyond what his normal complication for being so hideous would give.

Beyond that, he's spectacular.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. I will make some changes on the quirk.

This idea was originally a D & D character that I had created for a monster campaign. (Undead Ranger) It folded before I got to use him.

If you feel like reading it, here is a little introduction I wrote for him. It is kind of a cold open teaser origin story . . . or something.

.................................................................................................................................................................

The masked and hooded figure moved soundlessly through the darkness.

The lack of light held neither fear nor mystery for him now.

He stood over the bed and looked down at the body that lie sleeping before him. He removed the hood and mask that worked in concert to hide what remained of his face. He tucked the mask into his belt with one gloved hand and removed a short-bladed dagger with the other.

As he gripped the knife tightly and prepared for his bloody work, the moon emerged from behind a cloud and Selune thrust a finger of light through the shadows. The ray touched a polished metal mirror and despite the surface’s many flaws. the man saw a glimpse of his face in it.

The sight of it stayed his hand, but set his mind to motion.

His thoughts went to the memories so often that it was a wonder that he had not cleared a path to them by now. Alas, the hundredth trip was as hard as the first. He found himself once again trudging through the damaged wastes of his mind. Some memories were half-remembered, with others fully forgotten, conspicuous only by their absence.

The mirror and unreliable nature of his older memories caused him to focus on the first solid recollection he had since his awakening: that of seeing his new face in blackened glass of the room where his second existence had begun.

His eyes had opened in that room and he had not known, at first, where he was. He reached up to touch his face and when his hand entered his range of vision, he noticed its condition. The skin was gone entirely; the musculature of his fingers and wrist was visible. Panic gripped him as he looked down to see that his entire body had been skinned. His first thought was that he should not live, the second was that surely he should be in great pain. The exposed muscle had a hardness to it and shined like new red leather.

He got to his feet and looked around the room as if seeing it for the first time. It was the damaged chapel of a ruined keep. The remaining windows were stained black. He moved quickly past the altar that was covered in blood he somehow knew was his own.

He looked into one of those black windows and saw his new face for the first time. At a glance he realized that he did not know who he was and that this horrible reflection could give him no clue.

He spun away from the glass and took in the room. In one corner he saw a pile of equipment. Lying across it was a bow. He had known somehow that it was his own. He crossed and picked it up. In that moment he had remembered the others. Five of them there were. Companions or foes he could not recall, only that there were five. Though he could not remember his own face, the vision of theirs was burned in his mind.

Now, one of those images lie sleeping in front of him. She would be the first. He looked at her hand. The ring. He had one just like it. He had been forced to wrap twine around his to make it fit, as his fingers, the skin stolen, were much thinner now. Hers fit well. He would take that finger last.

In that moment she awoke and the fear in her eyes provoked no feeling in him. When she saw him she gasped. “The Flayed Man,” she managed to say. From the way she named him it was obvious that she had heard tell of him in recent weeks as he had closed in on her. It was what her men had taken to calling him. He had taken no joy in killing so many of them.

“Please Grey, I knew not what he planned.” She managed fighting with the blankets that entangled her. She called him Grey. He remembered this name and had come to call himself by it, but knew not whether it be a first, family or familiar name.

His free hand found her throat and stopped her struggling. He relaxed his grip only enough to allow her to speak. He saw that she was naked. He had the detached thought that her form should please him, but he felt no arousal at it. His only pleasure now came when he considered what he would do to her. Some obscure corner of his soul, if he still had one, was pained by his intentions. He had not been such once, he thought. But once he had been a man and now he was only vengeance.

“The others. Tell me what you know of them.” He was surprised every time he heard his voice now. He did not know if it was his lack of ears or some change in his voice.

“I cannot. He will kill me.” She said.

“And what do you suspect I will do?” He asked wondering on the manner of man or beast that could invoke more fear than he.

She answered, tears now on her face, “You were the best of us. It was why he used you. Surely you can forgive me? Can you let me keep my secrets?”

She had misjudged the situation. “A naked man has few secrets,” he said drawing his blade lightly over her face, “a flayed man, none.”

In the end she had offered him little but a brief respite from the hell of his daily existence and her ring. Her reluctance mattered little. There were three more rings and three more chances to sate his vengeance. Time he had and his blades were sharp.

He looked into one of those black windows and saw his new face for the first time. At a glance he realized that he did not know who he was and that this horrible reflection could give him no clue.

He spun away from the glass and took in the room. In one corner he saw a pile of equipment. Lying across it was a bow. He had known somehow that it was his own. He crossed and picked it up. In that moment he had remembered the others. Five of them there were. Companions or foes he could not recall, only that there were five. Though he could not remember his own face, the vision of theirs was burned in his mind.

Now, one of those images lie sleeping in front of him. She would be the first. He looked at her hand. The ring. He had one just like it. He had been forced to wrap twine around his to make it fit, as his fingers, the skin stolen, were much thinner now. Hers fit well. He would take that finger last.

In that moment she awoke and the fear in her eyes provoked no feeling in him. When she saw him she gasped. “The Flayed Man,” she managed to say. From the way she named him it was obvious that she had heard tell of him in recent weeks as he had closed in on her. It was what her men had taken to calling him. He had taken no joy in killing so many of them.

“Please Grey, I knew not what he planned.” She managed fighting with the blankets that entangled her. She called him Grey. He remembered this name and had come to call himself by it, but knew not whether it be a first, family or familiar name.

His free hand found her throat and stopped her struggling. He relaxed his grip only enough to allow her to speak. He saw that she was naked. He had the detached thought that her form should please him, but he felt no arousal at it. His only pleasure now came when he considered what he would do to her. Some obscure corner of his soul, if he still had one, was pained by his intentions. He had not been such once, he thought. But once he had been a man and now he was only vengeance.

“The others. Tell me what you know of them.” He was surprised every time he heard his voice now. He did not know if it was his lack of ears or some change in his voice.

“I cannot. He will kill me.” She said.

“And what do you suspect I will do?” He asked wondering on the manner of man or beast that could invoke more fear than he.

She answered, tears now on her face, “You were the best of us. It was why he used you. Surely you can forgive me? Can you let me keep my secrets?”

She had misjudged the situation. “A naked man has few secrets,” he said drawing his blade lightly over her face, “a flayed man, none.”

In the end she had offered him little but a brief respite from the hell of his daily existence and her ring. Her reluctance mattered little. There were three more rings and three more chances to sate his vengeance. Time he had and his blades were sharp.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Nice. He reminds me a little of a character a friend of mine made for a D&D campaign. That character was a Psychic Warrior and was undead, but we weren't allowed to keep our veneer of scary badassery, because while the DM let us make any kind of character we wanted, the campaign wasa "fourth wall" breaking campaign, which we found out when the wizard wouldn't cast a sleep spell on the psychic warrior because he was undead..."it said so on his character sheet."

As soon as an enemy revealed he could see our character sheets, we knew the campaign would be silly. We should have known it would turn out like that. It was a Ravenloft campaign run by a GM with no respect for convention. A horror setting pretty much guaranteed a tongue in cheek game.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:55 am

Makeshift

STRENGTH 12 AGILITY 3 FIGHTING 4 AWARENESS 1
STAMINA - DEXTERITY 3 INTELLECT 3 PRESENCE 0

POWERS
Not his real body: Immunity to Fortitude Effects (Quirk: can still be fatigued by extra effort and other mental means) • 29 points.
Rebuilding: Immortality 5, Regeneration 10 • 15 points.
Armored: Protection 11, Impervious 6 (noticeable: solid material, variable material can be changed) • 17 points.
Powerful: Power Lifting 4 • 4 points.
- AP: Leaping 4 • 1 point.

ADVANTAGES
Interpose, Luck 1, Power Attack, Takedown 2

SKILLS
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8), Intimidation 4 (+4) Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 6 (+7), Ranged Combat (Throwing) 5 (+8), Technology 1 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+5)

OFFENSE
INITIATIVE +3
Unarmed +8 Close, Damage 12

DEFENSE
DODGE 9 FORTITUDE Immune
PARRY 9 TOUGHNESS 11
WILL 10

Power Point Totals: Abilities 42 + Powers 71 + Advantages 5 + Skills 12 + Defenses 20 = 150

Complication:
Power Loss: He needs solid material around for his resurrection and regeneration to work. His another powers may not work at full capacity, if he have to use "soft" material (rubber for example) as replacement.
Prejudice: He looks clearly inhuman.
Motivation: Acceptance.

Background:
Intelligent, but not overly so, talented, but mot overly so, Jeremy Mills drifted around, not keeping any job for long or anything else what matters. Working as a janitor at Star Labs was just one job of many, or so he thought. After changing some bulbs, he managed to get closed in a radiation test room...
His body was seemingly atomized, but his consciousness remained, reaching out for a new body and creating a makeshift one from the floor concrete and lab equipment, destroying all hope to recreate the process later.
Only moments later, Superman came in fighting the "monster that attacked Star Labs". Fortunately they realized two things: Jeremy was still in control of his actions, and secondly, that he can reform himself a new body any time needed.
Stuck in a monstrous shape, Jeremy looks like a perfect candidate for the Doom Patrol.
Last edited by Walking Dad on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:12 am

@Walking Dad- Very interesting start. I'm very interested to see what the final product looks like.

Just a reminder- For those who are considering posting a build. I'll need finished builds and at least the outlines of the characters' background by 10pm MST (Mountain Standard Time) Dec. 23 (in the US for those of you across the internat'l dateline).

Not that I'm worried about having enough builds. I've got a plethora of really nice builds to choose from here.

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mr.United » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Updated Pinpoint's backstory. Fixed his Fort save. Removed his equpiment and updated his Secondary Effect on his blade to have a Will Save. His Dodge is high due to his training (see backstory). If you wish for me to take it down some, let me know. I have no problem for thiat. Hope you enjoy him.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Made a few tweaks to The Invisible Man.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:12 am

Submitted characters so far:

Hydrargyrum played by Hound
Ragdoll played by badpenny
Jaun Porter played by Evolución
Magman played by Arthur Eld
The Invisible Man played by CaptainChaos
The Flayed Man played by Cinder
Hellbent played by Rybaer
Pinpoint played by Mr. United
Makeshift played by Walking Dad

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby MistahFixIt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Holy Balls I really want to pitch a character for this game, but I feel like I'm hopelessly outclassed by all of the awesome ideas that were already put up, and I'm not gonna compete with them in the handful of time I have left to work with :P

Especially the Flayed Man; if he's not in this game, I will be very disappointed in you, Horse :x
Active Characters:
Crinoverse: Nights of Horror - Edward Carnby
Destiny Origins - 'Brea' MacLaughlan
All-New Doom Patrol - Firepower

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm

And there are three hours left of open recruiting. There's still time for some last minute entries, then I get to try to choose the cast. These are 9 really nice builds. Sometimes I don't get builds this nice for my ongoing games. This is going to be a tough one.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Firepower

Postby MistahFixIt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Woo! *ahem* Anyways... You got a lot of nice tough guys / immortals here, but I think you need a bit more ranged firepower to round that out. Unless of course you want this particular campaign to turn into a brawl :P I was gonna do a By-The-Numbers Energy Controller to save time, until I realized... stock Controllers have STUPIDLY under-level Defenses.

Firepower
(Image beyond the link)

Power Level 10 / 150pp
Trade-Offs - +2 Dodge / -2 Toughness; +2 Will / -2 Fortitude
26 (Abilities) + 64 (Powers) + 8 (Advantages) + 18 (Skills) + 34 (Defenses) = 150pp

Abilities: (26 pp)
  • Strength: 1
  • Stamina: 0
  • Agility: 4
  • Dexterity: 4
  • Fighting: 2
  • Intellect: 0
  • Awareness: 2
  • Presence: 0

Defenses: (34 pp)
  • Dodge 8 (+12)
  • Parry 8 (+10)
  • Fortitude 8 (+8)
  • Toughness (+8)
  • Will 10 (+12)

Skills (18pp; 36 ranks)
Acrobatics 4 (+8); Deception 8 (+8); Expertise: Science 8 (+8); Insight 6 (+8); Perception 6 (+8); Ranged Combat: Fire Control 4 (+8)

Advantages: (8pp)
  • All-Out Attack
  • Assessment
  • Improved Aim
  • Move-By Action
  • Power Attack
  • Precise Attack 1 (Ranged vs. Cover)
  • Redirect
  • Takedown 1

Powers: (64pp)
  • Burning Skin - Reaction Damage 3 (Flaws: Permanent) (12pp)
  • Fire Control Array - Ranged Damage 12
      (26pp)
    • AE - Backdraft - Burst-Area Damage 6
    • AE - Smokescreen - Cumulative Cloud-Area Affliction 6 [1st: Dazed and Visually Hindered; 2nd: Stunned and Visually Disabled; 3rd: Incapacitated] (DC Fortitude; Extras: Cumulative; Cloud Area 1; Extra Condition)
  • One With The Flame - Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) (5pp)
  • Charred Skin - Protection 8
  • Rocket-Powered - Flight 6 (120mph, or 1,800 feet in one round)

Complications:
:arrow: Power Loss - Extinguished: If completely smothered, doused, or submerged in a nonflammable substance, Ash's powers 'go out', rendering her normal, for all intents and purposes save for her appearance. Additionally, after being immersed in a liquid, her powers take one round to 'boil off' any liquid that has soaked into her skin; otherwise her powers immediately reignite at the earliest possible moment. Ash has been known to use her one and only weakness to enjoy brief periods under the illusion of 'normality'.
:arrow: Weakness - Water: Water-based effects cut right through her Defenses as if they didn't exist.
:arrow: Prejudice - Charcoal Skin: In addition to her constantly-manifesting powers, Ash's skin has been converted to a tough, charcoal-like substance that, while affording her an immunity to heat and flames (her own and others) makes her easily recognizable and obviously non-human.
:arrow: Quirk - Flammable: Ash cannot hold or handle any materials that are easily melted or ignited while her powers are active, lest she destroy them. This includes, but is not limited to, paperwork, clothing, equipment made primarily of plastic or low-temperature glass, and so on. Also, her powers have a tendency to set off smoke detectors, heat detectors, and other fire-alarm equipment in the room.
:arrow: Motivation - Acceptance: A twofold complication. Ash seeks to be accepted by others, but also, seeks to come to terms with her current lot in life as a superhuman.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. That's just how the world works; some days you're the lucky one, and other days you're the one that gets thrown in front of the bus.

Ashley Williams (Just 'Ash' to her friends and family) was one such person in the latter category. In truth, life had been pretty good to her up until that moment. She was bright, but not overly so, and well on her way to completing a degree in Material Sciences. She worked with a small team of other grad students at her university, trying to find the next big 'super-material' - Fullerene tubules and that kind of thing. It wasn't all that terribly exciting, to be honest; most of the time was spent in front of a white-board, doing equations in Organic Chemistry. Answering the question 'if I add this to that, I get what? And is it going to do anything useful?'

Then, like all great changes, it started with a spark. A short from the substandard wiring in the university Chemistry building, to be precise. Ash and her group were in one of the laboratories on the third floor when the fire broke out, and by the time the fire alarm system had alerted them to the problem, the fire was already intense, and continuing to gain momentum.

It was here that Ash had made a choice - it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but she couldn't have fully appreciated the consequences of her actions until much later. She chose to stay behind, in order to be certain that the other members of her research group got to safety. But in doing so, she lingered just long enough for part of the building to collapse, sealing her inside the lab. Losing consciousness from the smoke, she fell against one of the laboratory counters and lay there, waiting for the flames to catch up with her.

But Ashley Williams did not die that day. The exact mechanics of how she had come to survive the blaze are still a scientific mystery. However, it was widely accepted, both by the university staff, the general public, and by Ash herself, that the substances they had been working on in the lab that day had somehow mixed together, reacted with the fire itself, or some combination of the two, to result in 'bonding' her to the flames and granting her the powers she had now.
Active Characters:

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Right under the wire MistahFixIt. Just a few minutes remaining at this point, and a pretty good thought about adding some potential range to the mix. Of course Invisible man has a ranged attack as well, but much like the levels of strength that are common in the mix, multiple blasters can't hurt.

Anyway, just a few minutes to go and then I can pare down the submissions to my cast of 6. that'll be four very nice builds I'll have to forego. More's the pity. Anyway, I hope to have the selection process finished in a day or two, so this little adventure can start.

If everything goes as planned, the entire adventure should only take a few weeks, maybe a month. If things go more slowly than planned it may take a little longer, but the plot is pretty straight forward.

MistahFixIt
Cohort
Cohort

Re: All New, All Different, Doom Patrol (open recruting over

Postby MistahFixIt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

It's not a terrible build, considering I shat it out in under 3 hours :P And, like I kept telling my Supergroup Parties when City of Heroes was still up, "More Blasters Is Never Bad".

That, and I've never been one for playing Beefcakes. Brainiacs and Dex-Monkeys 4ever. :lol:
Active Characters:

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: All New, All Different, Doom Patrol (submissions over)DC

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Working on the cast at this very moment. I've got 3 chosen, but I'm wrestling with the other 3 spots. So many good builds and such a quandary...choose a well-rounded cast or stack it with heavy hitters? What to do, what to do.

Despite my issues, I should have a full cast by tomorrow night.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Re: All New, All Different, Doom Patrol (submissions over)DC

Postby Evolución » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Remember that players dropping from a game is a common scenario in play by post, it wouldn't hurt to take an extra guy, or at least keep the other submissions handy. :idea:

Return to “M&M Game Room”