Justice League: Legacies - "The Laughing Dead"

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Justice League: Legacies - "The Laughing Dead"

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

PROLOGUE

Morris County, New Jersey
County Road 531
February 12, 2013 - 12:47am

"I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by.
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry.

Did you ever see a robin weep
When leaves begin to die?
That means he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome, I could cry… "
*click*

The sheriff's deputy switched off the radio and reached for a thermos of coffee. He shook his head at his partner in disbelief. "Man, how can you *listen* to that depressing old-time country stuff? Oh.. coffee?" "Yah, thanks. I dunno… kinda speaks to me. My granddad used to listen to it when I was a kid." The deputy passed over a steaming paper cup before filling one of his own. "You are too young to be listening to…. hey? You see that?"

The police car had been hiding behind a billboard on a semi-deserted stretch of road, waiting to catch speeding, possibly drunken motorists on their home from Mardi Gras celebrations. It wasn't as big a deal up here in the Northeast as on the Gulf Coast, but some people will use any excuse to party too hard.

What had drawn the deputy's attention was a van going by without any lights on. Paper coffee cups were tossed out the window, spilling their forgotten rapidly-cooling contents onto the weed-covered ground. The deputy hit the lights, turned on the dash-cam and pulled out while his partner radioed in. "Dispatch, car 5277. Pulling over a van with no lights on. Chevy, indeterminate year, plates obscured, over." "Car 5277, Dispatch, copy traffic stop your location at zero-zero-four-seven hours, over."

When the sheriff's car pulled behind and squawked its siren, the van dutifully pulled over. The truck was so covered in rust and mud and weeds that one could barely make out what it was, but the garish head on top identified it as an old ice-cream truck. Loud, out of tune music crackled and popped from rusted speakers, the notes warping as if being played on a stretched out cassette tape.

The deputy approached the driver-side door while his parter circled to the passenger side, hand on weapon. The driver's window was rolled down despite the below-freezing temperatures. "License and registration, please." "Is this reeeeaaally neccesarry, officer? After all, it's my birthday! 'What's that you say? Born on a Tuesday!?' Well, it is Mardi Gras…. haHAhahaha!"

At first the deputy was stern-faced, but the laughter was infectious and he snickered. "Hmph-heh… yessir, I need.. heh-heh… need to see… hehhehheeh *cough* your license and… and.. AW, SCREW IT! HAAAHAAAhaaaaheheheHEEE!" The laughter from both men became hysterical, nearly frantic on the part of the deputy. The partner drew his weapon. "Bill! You okay?! DRIVER! STEP OUT OF THE VEHICLE SLOWLY OR I WILL SHOOT!"

The driver was cast in shadow but the deputy's partner could see his eyes and too-wide smile gleaming in his flashlight as the face was turned towards him. The driver's voice dropped an octave, sending chills down the officer's spine. "Mr. Poopy-pants over there is no fun at all; he's really harshing my mellow. Take care of him for me? Oh and while you're at it, wouldn't it be a hoot to see what bullets taste like?!"

The truck sped away, spitting mud and debris in its wake. The officer fired a few shot at the fleeing vehicle before turning towards the deputy. "Snap out of it, Bill! BILL! WhatheHELL?!?" Three more shots rang out, this time from the deputy's gun. As the officer lay the bleeding out, the deputy's shadow loomed over him. The eery, frantic laughter of madness continued until the deputy put his pistol into his rictus-grinning mouth and pulled the trigger.

Last edited by Bombaatu on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Justice League: Legacies - "The Laughing Dead"

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 pm

The Batcave
Feburary 14th, 2013
7:47pm

"Again." Terry picked himself off the mat and mopped a towel over his sweating face. He spared a glace at his watch; right now, Dana was probably already waiting for him, even though their reservations weren't until eight. If he hurried, he might just be able to make it on time… "Am I keeping you from something?" "Well, actuallyWHOA!" Terry turned to speak then found himself face-down on the mat ('again', just like he was told), arm twisted up into the air in a vice grip. Tim's artificial knee was pressed painfully between his shoulder-blades; the older man leaned down. "Remember Lesson Number One: never, EVER, lose focus. You lose focus, you're dead. You may have taken out Powers, rumors of the Bat may be on the street again, but don't think for a second that you have enough experience to be distracted. The bad guys aren't going to care that you have a date that you're late for." The pressure eased and Tim helped Terry to his feet before limping over to a bench and swapping out the socket sock for his prostetic leg for a dry one. "Speaking of which, you should get going. Tell her it's my fault. Oh, and take the Porsche."

Terry snatched the tossed keys out of the air and returned Tim's grin. As hard as he was on Terry, Tim was still young enough to 'understand'. Terry dashed into the shower and washed away the sweat of the workout. A few minutes later he came out of the locker room, toweling off still-damp hair. He tossed the towel aside and started tying his tie. "By the way, do you need me to… uh, oh."

Terry's question trailed off as he saw his mentor - his trainer, his friend - staring slack-jawed at a monitor screen. On a corner of the Batcomputer, a dust-covered light blinked - Terry couldn't remember seeing that particular light and didn't even know what it meant. Tim's expression hardened and he finally found his voice. "Call Dana and tell her you're not going to make it. Then suit up. Fast." On the screen Terry could see the bat-winged shaped spotlit on the clouds.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Gotham City, NJ
Feburary 14th, 2013
7:53pm

The cloud of cheap cologne couldn't mask the miasma of sweat, old takeout and cigar smoke as Det. Harvey Bullock slouched into his chair.
"Happy Singles Awareness Day fer yoo too, huhn, Baker?" He picked up a dirty mug, turned it over the overflowing trashcan and shook before blowing out the dust and filling it from a pot of old, burned coffee. The crude saying on the mug was all but gone from years of usage, but a graphic of a yellow rubber ducky could still be made out between 'What the' and a question mark.

Bullock's beady eyes leered at Detective Alyssa Baker as he sipped the bitter brew then began sorting through the papers littering his desk. "Whaaaa'? No hot date tonight fer Valentines? In dat case, howz 'bout yoo an' me grabbin' some grub after our shift? I know this strip joint with a great all-night buffet; s'classy, yoo'd like it."

The door to the squad room slammed open to show the aging but still muscular form of the police commissioner, James Gordon.
"Knock it off, Bullock. You, Baker - with me. Now. We're going to the roof. " He slammed a file into Bullocks ample gut. "Here. Read it on the way."

Bullock puffed along behind, hurrying to keep pace with Gordon's no-nonsense stride. Somehow he managed to flip pages in the folder without dropping any, reading as we went. "Da roof? What gives, Commish? Ain't nuthin' up there but the old Bat-Signal an' we ain't used dat since Da Bat-Freak disappeared… aww, no. Dey can't be serious"

"They are, and so am I. Light it. Baker, read. And praying wouldn't be out of order either, if you're so inclined."
Gordon struck a match and lit a well-worn pipe, then watched the sky for a miracle.
Last edited by Bombaatu on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Metropolis, NY
'Suicide Slum'
February 14th, 2013
7:54pm

The old grocer stepped out from behind the counter where he'd cowered with his wife. An endless stream of babbling, near-hysterical Korean accompanied her rocking and crying as her husband looked on helplessly. Around the store were overturned shelves, broken glass, spilled fluids… and the angriest angel he could imagine.

The shattered glass crunched under armored boots as she hauled the unconscious bodies to the street for the police to take away. You'd think that after years of busting heads, the sheer level of stupidity displayed by the average gang-banger would stop being a surprise. You'd think that they'd give up or run away instead of trying to take on a superhero. Especially one with big wings, armored claws and a nasty temper. You'd be wrong. From her point-of-view, so much the better; she'd needed to blow off some steam after getting stood up tonight.

Of course, once she cooled down and stopped seeing red, the amount of collateral damage was appalling. This store was these people's livelihood; now it was smashed. A low, 'would you look at that' whistle came from the beat cop as he tipped his hat upwards and surveyed the scene, and embarrassment began to color her cheeks. The clincher came when the grocer's wife began smacking her with a broom, still crying and screaming. Her husband looked apologetically and shrugged, turning her away from the ineffectual assault.

Some wing-time was just what the doctor ordered. Up here, Donna could forget about all the crime, the fearfulness of people she was trying to protect, and even that sonovabitch Dennis. After a few minutes soaring she perched on a building ledge and looked out over the bay. Behind her was Metropolis, to her right was New York City and before her was Gotham. All located within a relatively small area, one of the most densely populated places in the United States, each city with its own distinct flavor. She was beginning to calm down finally when she saw something she'd only ever heard about. Even from this distance, the distinct shape of a bat could be seen lighting the clouds over Gotham. Off in the distance, thunder rumbled and faded, trailing away into feint laughter.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Gotham City, NJ
February 14th, 7:55pm

Construction work was noisy. There was the banging of hammers, the racket of pneumatic wrenches, the clanging of steel and the swearing of men. Music.

Jake flipped down his visor and started welding a beam in place. The partial walls did little to keep out the biting wind but deadlines loomed and the contractor was getting antsy. All of that added up to double-time, so Jake wasn't going to complain. Unlike Murray.

"Youse believe dis crap?! It's eight o'clock in da pee-emm on friggin' Valentine's. Myrna was cussin' up a blue streak when I told her we wuzn't gonna make it to Sizzler. Sheesh... guy tries to get all romantic an' crap, plan a nice night out wit his dame, an' whut does he get? Grief, dat's whut. I jus' hope da Piggley-Wiggley still has some boo-kayz left when I get off or I'm sleepin' on da couch again, knowwhaddamean?"

As Murray ranted, the noise of the workplace slowly died down to be replaced by the babble of confused voices. "Geez! Iz dat whut I t'ink dat iz?" "Shee-oot, sumthin' bad must be goin' down." "Hey, Fred! Yoo gotta radio - anyt'ing on da news?"

Jake disconnected the power from his welding lead and raised his visor. All around the work site, people stared and pointed over the darkened skyline. Following their gaze, Jake could see a light stabbing into the clouds from downtown; a light with the symbol of the bat.

"I mean youse try an' youse try but dey ain't never happy no matter whut youse do. Hey! Youse lissenin' ta me or whut?"

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Queens
New York, NY
February 14th, 2013

"I had a really nice time tonight, Willy. I wish I could stay out later but my dad has been totally wigging since I snuck out this weekend." Danielle and Willy sat on a swing in the park. It was well past dark and several of the streetlights were out; it wasn't exactly the best place to take a date, but Willy was on a budget. "Hey, why did you miss Becky's Mardi Gras party, anyways? I was really hoping I'd see you there." Danielle's blue eyes stared into Willy's brown ones and he swallowed a lump. She traced her finger along the front of his shirt, back and forth, in a rather distracting manner. "I mean, I know Becky and the rest are kinda mean to you, but we could have had fun, right?"

The female suspects. Terminate her existence immediately!

"NO! Uh, I mean.. I couldn't; I had a lot of homework and I had to watch my little brother."

A gang of four or five teenagers in baggy pants and hoodies bopped along the path, shoving each other and laughing. One of them spied Willy and Danielle and started making 'kissy' noises at them to the hilarity of his companions.

The intruders are ill-organized and crowded together; they are tactically compromised. A single plasma blast would suffice to dispatch them.

"Will you shut up!?" Willy muttered. Danielle glared at the gang then mischievously grinned at Willy. "It's not such a bad idea, you know."

The female concurs, a tactical observation I did not predict. Threat assessment updated.

Willy stumbled a bit as she pulled him to his feet from the swing; his arm (now a blast cannon, charging up) had caught on the chain. With an effort, Willy forced his hand back to normal. Danielle caught him and didn't let go when he regained his balance. "I mean it is Valentine's, right?" She turned and put her arms around his neck, tilting her head back and closing her eyes. Her mouth parted slightly as she leaned in.

The female is carnivorous! Incinerate her now!

Willy's protest to Khaji-Da was muffled by the kiss. Finally he broke it off and gave her a shy, nervous smile.

You act unwisely, William Northrup. A genetically-tailored toxin could be easily prepared from that DNA sample.

--------
8:03 pm
Willy watched Danielle's door close. To the left, her father glared disapprovingly. Willy swallowed, hunched his shoulders and turned away, heading towards home.

Allow that parental unit to deal with the female's threat. I am picking up many broadcasts from law-enforcement officers. A situation has arisen in the city of Gotham. Investigate the threat and eliminate. We can dispatch the female with ease afterwards.
Last edited by Bombaatu on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Themiscyran Consulate
Manhattan, New York, NY
February 14th, 8:04pm

The outside walls of the Themiscyran Consulate were unremarkable. The building was ornate, of course; a gleaming marble facade carved in bas-relief depicted the Gods of Olympus and the origins of the Amazons. But such finery was not out-of-place in the center of the world's diplomatic corp.

Inside was a completely different story.

The building itself took up half a city block and was completely enclosed all around. Of course there were offices where mundane if high-level diplomatic correspondence took place, but within was a courtyard open to the sky, lined with fluted marble columns and statues of the Gods overlooking an arena. The Amazons were first and foremost warriors and never did Apollo's chariot cross the sky without their having trained in the arts of Ares.

"HAAAAA-YA!" Atalanta barely stepped out of the way of the spear thrust; had she been a moment slower, she would have been spitted upon it. Sweat streamed down her face and arms and her lungs burned with exertion. Excited onlookers ringed the battle, shouting encouragements to one combatant or the other. Atalanta bashed with her shield causing her opponent to stumble, but her sword swing found naught but empty air. The haft of the spear swung low, sweeping the youngster's legs out from under her. Instinctively she tried to take to the air... and instead gravity's cruel grip brought her low. Atalanta looked up into the face of Arisa, her sparring partner. Atalanta took the offered arm and rose to her feet, brushing the clay dust from her clothing.

"You may be gifted by the Gods, little sister, but that doesn't mean you can take those gifts for granted. To quote Queen Diana, 'Powers do not a warrior make; it is the heart and head that wins the day."

Diana speaks with the Wisdom of Athena, whom I would match against Solomon any day.

The ring of Amazons turned to find the source of the booming clear voice. Weapons were half out of their scabbards before they all dropped to one knee. When Mercury speaks, one listens.

There is great strife on Olympus; a spirit of dark madness has escaped from Hades' realm and strides across the face of Gaia once more. The balance of forces has shifted towards chaos; great shall be the woe of all lest it be restored. Thus speaks Zeus: 'Atalanta of Themiscyra, you are charged with righting this wrong. Travel with the haste of My Messenger to the City of Gotham. There you will find a beacon to guide you to wisdom.' Hearken to these words and obey.

With a flash of golden light Mercury vanishes leaving silence in His wake. After a moment, Arisa speaks with her customary nonchalance. "Well. I guess we'll have to continue this later, then."
Last edited by Bombaatu on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Atalanta
Condition: Normal
HP: 2
Character Sheet

Atlanta plunged her spear into the ground and hing the shield from the end sticking up. Taking a step or six back, she shot Arisa a playfully sardonic glance.

"guess you get off lucky this time." She mumbled. Then, looking to the sky, her arms spread low with her face and plams towards the sky, she spoke in a clear voice.

"SHAZAM !."

Lightning flashed from the heavens, the gift from Zeus bestowing the teen with powers some might say were on a level with the gods themselves. It was not hubris that Atalanta succumbed to though.

With a bow to her sisters, Atalanta was airborne in less time than it takes to describe, she shot across the night sky with speed as only Mercury himself could bestow. The wisdom of Solomon guided her path, helping her to avoid other objects in her path...

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Hawkgirl (Donna Hall)
HP: 2 Cond: Flabbergasted.

"Holy crap..." Donna stared for a few moments and then dove to the nearest rooftop. She turned back into her civvies and took off one of the Nth-metal gauntlets, the only evidence of her dual identity and the focus for her change. She fished for her phone from the pockets that faded into nonexistence when she transformed, and clicked the first number on her speed-dial.

"Dad! Look out the window due East, towards Gotham... can you see it? No, dad, I'm not with Dennis; the &%@%er stood me up, so you don't have to worry about my long-lost chastity tonight... I was... Dad, stop it! I'm not a little child! I'll sleep with whoever I want, whenever I want, and...! FOR @$#!&'s SAKE, DAD, LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!!"

There was a pregnant pause after that. Out of her Hawkgirl form she could barely make out the shape, but she knew her father would be able to see it, once he assumed his former heroic personality as Hawk. True, she lost some of her own power when he did that, as apparently they shared the shard of Chaos that made him the Avatar of War (and she a rather fitting proxy), but he was retired, so there was very little chance that she'd find herself weaker while on patrol.

"I know. He's supposed to be dead, isn't he?" She said after her father answered in hushed, unbelieving tones. "Anything on the news?... So they are as confused. Okay, I'm going to suit up and check it out. No, dad, I won't interfere, but if he comes back... or his successor, maybe there's a chance of rebuilding the League. Worth a shot, no...? I'll be careful. Love you too, dad."

She sighed. Sometimes she wished it wasn't so hard to talk to Hank Hall, but she knew getting something through to her was no small feat either. She put away the cellphone and donned the gauntlet again. By now she was used to the shift, and in a heartbeat she was airborne once more, heading fast towards the signal like a moth to the flame.

She remembered the time she spent in Gotham as a runaway teen gangbanger, not so long ago. Gangs were having a field day with no masked vigilantes curbing their excesses. The situation was not bound to have improved since then, since her father had picked her up during a riot and scared the living shit out of her by the most uncharacteristic reaction of tears of disappointment.

She circled around the beacon, aproaching from the opposite side of the beam of light and landed softly on one of the everpresent gargoyles that put the "goth" in Gotham. And she crouched, becoming as one with the winged stone sculptures as she looked at the assembled cops on the roof. She reined in the urge to swoop down and say hi; she was not Gotham's protector, and if the looks on the cops was any indication, she was just as eager and nervous about whether the call for help would be answered.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Dr Fate (Detective Alyssa Baker)
Hp 2
Condition

Alyssa takes a few moments to quickly read through the contents of the file, immediately becoming concerned at the thought that the Joker may have returned. Remembering the orders given to her, she hastens to turn on the Bat signal, hoping as she does so that if the Joker has returned Batman has as well.
"Are you sure about this?" she asks the commissioner with concern obvious in her tone.
Last edited by Aerlwyn on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Detective Baker wrote:"Are you sure about this?" she asks the commissioner with concern obvious in her tone.

Gordon takes a long, slow pull from his pipe and exhales, sending out a cloud of fragrant blue smoke far better smelling than the slovenly Bullock. He answers without taking his eyes from the sky."No, Detective, I am not. 'Sure' and 'the Joker' aren't two concepts that readily go together. But only one thing I know could do that to that deputy, and that's Joker Toxin. The autopsy will tell us for sure, but I'd bet my badge on it. If it really is the Joker after all this time, and God help us if it is, this is the best hope we have."

SquirrelLord
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby SquirrelLord » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Batman II
Character Sheet

Terry pulled out his cell and tapped in Dana's number, nervously putting the phone to his ear. This is gonna be good... The phone rang once, twice, three times, at which it stopped, but was followed by silence. Terry shifted his weight nervously from one foot to the other before she finally spoke in a tone that was somewhere between exasperated and hopeful.

"Terry?"

"Hey, Dana! I've, uh... I've got some bad news. Mr. Drake is having some problems with his leg and he wants me to drive him to the hospital, so I'm gonna have to..."

She cut him off before he could finish. "You know what, save it, Terry. I understand you've got a job and it must be tough for Mr. Drake to get around with that leg of his. But he knew we had plans tonight, and he has the money for a taxi. Enjoy your Valentines." The phone clicked as she hung up on him. Terry cursed under his breath - it was gonna take a lot of sweet talking and apologizing to get back in her good graces, but he couldn't worry about that now. Tonight was the first time since he had donned the suit that the Batsignal had gone up, and that was both exciting and completely unsettling. As far as he knew, the Batsignal going up had never been a good thing, and he doubted tonight would be any different.

The young man entered the locker room as quickly as possible. He removed the nice clothes he had started to put on for his date. Instead, he put on a sleek, thin, black rubber bodysuit that went from his neck down to his toes, his protection from getting his skin caught up in the mesh and interlocking plates of the Batsuit. This took but a few moments; then he was out on the Batcave floor, standing in front of a glass case that contained his new life, his new identity as the Batman. He opened it up, glanced at the bright red bat-symbol in the center of the chest, the mix of kevlar and metal pieces. Despite the heavy protection, his life was, ironically, more endangered every time he put that armor on, and doing so filled with dread. But there was also a sense of pride in there as well: pride at doing good in his home city, pride at living up to the name of the Batman, pride at making up for the trouble he used to cause. Putting your life in danger was worth the anxious feelings when there was a reason for it.

Sliding the suit on did not take very long. The bodysuit was magnetized, and the pieces snapped into place, interlocking with those adjacent to them, creating a flexible-but-all-encompassing layer of protection. He pressed the center button on his utility belt, and his suit whirred to life. The cowl's heads-up display lit up with data and tactical read-outs that flicked before Terry's eyes, which now glowed a deep red in his mask.

"GCPD?" Terry asked. Tim nodded without turning his head away from the screen, which was now crawling with information.

"Go. Now."

Terry thrust his arms outwards, wings extending along the underside of his arms. Flames burst out of his feet and the Batman flew down the tunnel of the dilapidated Batcave, through the waterfall covering the only outside entrance and into the night sky over Gotham City. His thrusters weren't as fast as a Batmobile would have been, but Tim had languished about maintaining Bruce's gear, so Terry had to make do.

It took but a few minutes before he reached the police department headquarters. He circled above the rooftop a few times, noting the three figures near the Batsignal. His HUD zoomed in on their faces, analyzing. Terry recognized the police commissioner James Gordon, someone Tim had mentioned several times. Terry landed in the shadows behind the three people, and with a deep breath, stepped in to the light as dramatically as possible.

"You called?"

Just realized a Stealth check might be appropriate to see how dramatic it really was.
Batman's Stealth Check
1d20+12=27
Last edited by SquirrelLord on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Atalanta
Character Sheet

Atalanta revelled at the feeling of the cool air against her skin as she flew. The power of flight was something she adored, and also viewed it as a sacred trust. The very power of the gods she worshipped and prayed to for guidance gave her the power to almost move mountains.

And here she was en route to a city with a legend... one whose legend shone like a beacon across the night sky. The likeliest source of information and place to start her quest was the origin of the signal atop the police headquarters. It did not take the Wisdom of Solomon to realize that. Her brightly colored costume did not aid in hiding in the shadows, but she remained away from the bright glow of the searchlight, keeping away from the activity of the officers on the roof and the signal itself.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Firestorm
Jake Rusch/Lori Reilly
Condition: intrigued HP 2

Jake stared at the wavering spotlight on the clouds with a bit of awe. The 'Bat-signal' was legendary. Jimmy Olsen's watch legendary. Justice League legendary. As far as Jake knew, the signal hadn't been lit for years. Not that he paid a heck of a lot of attention. He was an aspiring MMA fighter who worked construction gigs to pay the bills. He kept his head down, nose to the grindstone, worked and trained. He barely had a high school education formally, so his knowledge of history, even relatively recent history was a bit...sketchy. Still...Batman. Wow.

Then an idea popped into his head. An idea that would never have occured to him six months ago. Of course, it had been an educational six months. "Murray, my man, I hate to cut you off, but you reminded me ...I have some Valentine's plans myself."

Stowing the welding rig carefully, Jake jumped down and ran to his truck. Pulling out his archaic flip phone, he called the only woman in his life. Too bad the relationship wasn't romantic.

Dr. Lorelai Reilly was waiting on the centrifuge to finish it cycle when her phone rang. "Hello, this is Lori Reilly."

"Calm down Jake. Yes, I'm at work. Where else would I be?"
At Jake's urging the brilliant Nuclear Physicist took the elevator to ground level and found a window facing Gotham.

"Yes, I see it Jake. What's the relevance?"

Jake could have screamed. Lori was the cause of all their...interaction and she didn't seem to care. "Lori, this is our chance. You were the one that went looking for the powers remember? This is a chance to do something."

Lori sighed. Her experiment was going to be ruined and her bosses at S.T.A.R. labs curious as to why she abandoned it, but Jake was right. This was an opportunity for them to call on the entity for a positive purpose. "Are you at the construction site Jake?"

"Yep."

"Then you're closer. Do it."

Jake ducked out of sight and closed his eyes. he envisioned Lori and thought of the third being, the entity that was both them and not them. He felt a momentary surge of heat.

Firestorm opened its' eyes and looked toward Gotham. Launching itself into the air the gold and red clad being blazed through the air, the contrail from its' flaming corona marking its path. In the back of its mind, the personalities of Jake and Lori whispered advice. It would arrive at its destination in minutes.

"We are coming." The Nuclear Entity said to no one in particular.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm

The Scarab
HP: 2 Cond: Utterly Clueless & Surprised :)

Willy was incredibly nervous, and he could almost feel the sweat that was surely streaming down his face. He just couldn't keep his eyes off of Danielle, and he knew that things were strange enough as they were, but here she was, always at his side, always telling him that he was someone great to be around ... the only others who said that were his parents, but, being parent's, it was like they were expected to say that. And the best part of it was, William I. Northrup meant every word she said she had a really nice time. He wished he could do better for her, but she was happy, and that was all that mattered right now. His heart skipped a little at the thought, and sped up.

Heart rate has elevated. Danger? Host is threatened? Activate weapons? the ever present voice of Khaji Da sounded in Willy's head. The strange, sentient alien weapon that had fused to Willy's back never ceased to complicate his life, despite the benefits it gave. Nevertheless, Willy ignored Khaji Da. The voice of the scarab's AI had grown more sophisticated over time, and Willy could see that it wasn't a demand so much as a query. Without an answer, Khaji Da would need more than speculation to over-ride command systems...Willy hoped. Besides, how could he hurt Danielle? The lovely, pretty, smart, popular, lovable...

"Hey, why did you miss Becky's Mardi Gras party, anyways? I was really hoping I'd see you there." Danielle's blue eyes stared into Willy's brown ones and he swallowed a lump. She traced her finger along the front of his shirt, back and forth, in a rather distracting manner.

Willy's heart rate raced as Danielle asked the question, and he could feel his neck moistening with sweat. It was mostly guilt. He could recall the night of the party rather vividly. Someone had broken into the vault of the bank on Third and Wesson downtown, a couple blocks away from the party. Willy chosen to be the hero rather than the object of mockery at the party. Besides, the thieves had gotten their hands on some old Freeze Rays - which Khaji Da's database's had identified as those belonging to a former villain named Mr. Freeze who was doing time in Arkham Asylum - and were holding civilians hostage. It was better than going to a party ... he thought.

Then there was the slight touch of her finger. It was thin and slender, lovely in the low light, and a warm shiver ran down Willy's spine, and his heart raced with a more... primal vigor, but...

"I mean, I know Becky and the rest are kinda mean to you, but we could have had fun, right?"

Willy's heart plummeted. He hated it when Danielle tried to guilt him like that. He had his duties as a hero, but he couldn't tell her that! She would be in danger! Willy felt the urge to scream at himself, but couldn't bring himself to do it. Of course, Khaji Da just had to take things the wrong way.

The female suspects. Terminate her existence immediately!

"NO! Uh, I mean.. I couldn't; I had a lot of homework and I had to watch my little brother."

Idiot! Willy screamed at himself in his head, mentally facepalming. It always upset him when he had to lie to her, and all his lies had made them grow quite a bit apart. After becoming the host of Khaji Da, Willy had never been the same, and he knew that. He could vividly remember when Danielle had said she just wanted to be "friends" with him. They had been closer, but ever since he had taken up the whole 'saving-innocents-and-being-a-hero' thing, she always seemed like she was unsure of whether or not to trust him or not. And that lie might have just widened that crack between them... he looked at her face. Wait...she's not giving me that 'are you telling the truth' look...she bought it?

A gang of four or five teenagers in baggy pants and hoodies bopped along the path, shoving each other and laughing. One of the spied Willy and Danielle and started making 'kissy' noises at them to the hilarity of his companions.

The intruders are ill-organized and crowded together; they are tactically compromised. A single plasma blast would suffice to dispatch them.

"Will you shut up!?" Willy muttered

Willy's heart fluttered, and he blushed slightly. The hoodlums were just ruining things, and it greatly embarassed Willy to think that he of all people was close friends and once dating one of the most popular girls at school, the one sitting next to him on this swing, tracing her finger along his shirt ... For once, Willy felt like actually listening to Khaji Da's advice. But the feeling died down as Danielle spoke.

Danielle glared at the gang then mischievously grinned at Willy. "It's not such a bad idea, you know."

What? What does that mean... Willy thought, when Khaji Da interrupted.

The female concurs, a tactical observation I did not predict. Threat assessment updated.

Willy stumbled a bit as she pulled him to his feet from the swing; his arm (now a blast cannon, charging up) had caught on the chain.

God@mnit! Willy swore to himself, angry at Khaji Da for not only threatening to blow his cover and reveal his secret identity, but also for inferring that it wanted him to blast Danielle! He struggled to hide the fact that his hand had turned into a black and blue energy cannon by throwing his arm behind his back as Danielle pulled him to his feet. That gave him another reason for surprise, and confusion.

With an effort, Willy forced his hand back to normal. Danielle caught him and didn't let go when he regained his balance. "I mean it is Valentine's, right?" She turned and put her arms around his neck, tilting her head back and closing her eyes. Her mouth parted slightly as she leaned in.

The female is carnivorous! Incinerate her now!

Willy's protest to Khaji-Da was muffled by the kiss. Finally he broke it off and gave her a shy, nervous smile.

Willy stared at her for a minute. He was stunned. He tried to fit a sentence together, but his tongue was heavy as lead, and his brain seemed to be overheating. If this was a cartoon, he was sure that steam would be blasting from his ears and the top of his head and his heart would be leaping out of his body to thump back into his body only to leap out once more. (thank goodness he wasn't in a cartoon, a small part of him, the bit that he never paid attention to thought, that sounds like it would hurt).

But the kiss brought more than joy and a rush of adrenaline to Willy, but a state of bewildered confusion. [

Whu...she said...'friends'...not dating...dating?...she likes me?...more than likes me?...Why?...strawberries...

Each half formed question brought forth more incomplete questions as Willy's brain struggled to overcome the shock of the sudden and overwhelming kiss, and return to some manner of sanity.

You act unwisely, William Northrup. A genetically-tailored toxin could be easily prepared from that DNA sample.

Shut Up. Willy muttered back to Khaji Da, blushing furiously.

--------
8:03 pm
Willy watched Danielle's door close. To the left, her father glared disapprovingly. Willy swallowed, hunched his shoulders and turned away, heading towards home.

Willy sighed. It seemed like people disliked him universally, and Danielle's father wasn't any exception. Willy figured it was because it was just because he was protective of his daughter, which brought him some consolation, but he always wondered. He still couldn't come up with any explanation of why Danielle had kissed him. There was nothing to lead up to it, and she had been keeping her distance from him at school as well, so why?...

Allow that parental unit to deal with the female's threat. I am picking up many broadcasts from law-enforcement officers. A situation has arisen in the city of Gotham. Investigate the threat and eliminate. We can dispatch the female with ease afterwards.
[/quote]

Finally! Willy muttered aloud. Something to take my mind off things... Then came Khaji Da's ever paranoid remark about Danielle. How many times must I explain myself? We are not killing Danielle!

The female is a threat to you - and us. Her presence is distracting, and your reaction to threats is diminished. The female also shows signs of being carnivorous, possibly cannibalistic, and may attempt to attack you while you are vulnerable.

For the love of... Willy exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air, but calmed himself down. Argh. Let's just get to Gotham and see what's up. Okay?

Affirmative. Activate Scarab suit?

Yes, please.

Classification & Weaponry Serial ID. Khaji Da intoned mechanically.

O come on! We have been through this a dozen times, I'm the only one can activate you, and I've already told you to armor-up! Willy said, annoyed, as he ducked down an alley way and hide behind a dumpster.

Classification & Weaponry Serial ID. it said again, tone constant.

Stupid AI. Willy thought to himself.

Scarab Armor & Weapon Systems Activate. Classification: Reach Infiltrator - Khaji. Serial ID: Da.

KHAJI DA!!!

A sudden pain rushed down Willy's spine and he let out a pained gasp. Something was growing down his back, the azure scarab fused to his spine was expanding, and tearing out of the edges of his skin. He could feel the growth of the the weapon on his back, growing, stretching out and over his body. A solid black sheath began to grow and shimmer down his body, erupting pain as it rippled over his skin, and enveloped him like a second skin. The armor then began to grow, hard plates that quivered and segmented over his body, the colors expanding and growing, even covering his entire face, closing in on his eyes, which he closed as the pain rushed through his body. There was several *snaps* as great pincers and segments that looked like scarab legs lashed themselves into place with the armor that had grown over his body, Willy screamed as he opened his eyes, which were suddenly invaded with the spread of the armor which covered his vision in a transparent sheath that glowed blue.

Slight blue steam rolled off the armor, the heat of the transformation being released into the air, and Willy could see the world again. It always surprised him that the change only took a second or two, the pain he endured made it seem much longer.

Small letters and stranger symbols were splayed in trawling messages in an alien language that Willy did not understand and flickered at the edges of his vision. One of the strings of symbols glowed slightly, then expanded over Willy's field of vision as it projected a map of the city into his inner eye, and had a large blue dot with radiating waves in the middle.

Broadcasts appear to be centralized around the law enforcement headquarters in Gotham. There appears to be a strange light that the broadcasts are talking about.

Got it. Willy said. Scarab Wings.

Willy heard a slight *flick* and felt something at his shoudler bones twitch as two large pairs of translucent blue and gold wings expanded from his back almost instantaneously. The wings were gossamer thin, yet impossibly tough, and had slight blue veins running through them that Willy knew didn't have blood running through them. He felt a slight loss of weight, as he lifted off his feet, and left the ground behind. Straightening his back and puffing out his chest, he felt power coursing through him, as he rose above the skyline of Queens, and turned for Gotham.

Willy was elated by the feeling of flight. It was every little boy's dream, to be able to soar in the skies and touch the clouds. He wondered if the main reason everyone always thought that superheroes were so cool was because they could fly. The sensation of flight never lost it's grandeur, and it brought about a sense of nostalgia to Willy. It was the first amazing power of the Scarab that Willy had ever used consciously, and it felt just as amazing as it did the first time. Willy couldn't help but feel jubilant at that.

As Willy neared Gotham Central Police Dept, the first thing he noticed from his vantage point in the sky was the signal. It was dull and murky, but it was clear on the clouds. A giant spotlight aimed at the sky, with a silhouette in the middle. A Massive Bat.

No...It can't be... Willy said aloud, his jaw dropping in amazement. He had heard rumors about the signal, but...it couldn't be...

Khaji Da had apparently taken notice of the bat-signal as well, for it immediately began to recite it's database archive of the famed superhero - the Batman.

Batman: Gotham City masked vigilante and 'super-hero'. Justice League member #2. No abilities beyond that of human capacity. Master level martial artist. Uses a plethora of gadgets, and is extremely skilled in combat. Numerous proteges. Despite a lack of super-human ability, has maintained his position as the number 2 hero on the Justice League through sheer skill and tenacity, coupled with intelligence and ingenuity. Then the AI began to recite it's own entries about dealing with the Batman: Disarm him of his Gadgets and engage him away from tools. Keep him on the ground, then assault from range with Blast Cannons while he is disarmed. Suggestion: Strobing Flares coupled with High Precision blasts should disable "The Batman" and keep ...

I don't want to fight the Batman! Willy exclaimed. Just finish the archive entry.

Vanished approximately 10 Earth years ago, similar to the disappearance of archenemy: Joker. Both presumed Dead.

I guess we are going to see if he really is dead or not... Willy wondered to himself.

Willy landed on one of the tall towers that surrounded GCPD, hiding in the shadows of the building where he was offered a clear vantage point of the top of the building. The wings retracted back into the Scarab, and Willy ducked behind a low wall, giving himself cover in case he was spotted. Multiple other figures seemed to be swooping about, staying hidden, apparently waiting like Willy was.

The bat-signal. It was a legend. The most iconic way to signal the greatest detective Willy knew to have lived. It was a cry for help, a sign requesting aid, a way to summon one of the greatest heroes of Willy's childhood. The Batman.

Willy scanned the roof of the building, his vision enhanced by the Scarab's sensors and lenses, to pierce through the shadows and quickly identify things at a glance. He did not have to wait long before his sensors blinked, and a rough shape was outlined. It was dark and black, and glided on the air, swooping into the shadows of the tall building illuminated by the spotlight. Willy's heart nearly leaped out of his chest. There was no mistaking those pointed ears, that spiked wing glide, the ease of slinking through the shadows, and the symbol - strangely in red - emblazoned upon his chest.

The Batman...He's alive!

OOC wrote:Perception check (1d20+10 = 28) I spy with my little (DarkVision & Analytical Vision Senses) eye a sneaky bat! I figure I would pick up other shapes, but the fact that there is a Batman seems significant, so it got the highlight of my first post. Don't worry, I don't play favorites :mrgreen: .

Return to “M&M Game Room”