A Whole Family of Supers (IC: Back Home)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

A Whole Family of Supers (IC: Back Home)

Post by Shock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

February 2013

It's seasonably cold in Freedom City. There's snow on the ground, just enough so that you know it's there. But it's not going to be an issue for the Andersen family after tomorrow. Thanks to Jemma calling in to a radio station, they'd won an all expense paid cruise to Bermuda and this is the last day of school and/or work before they leave. Of course, it being the last day before vacation, Kit and Jemma have a couple of tests each and Lisa has a lot of loose ends to tie up before she leaves. Phineas has things easier. He sets his own schedule but that leaves him to be the one to do a lot of the work at home to prepare for the trip.
I've got nothing specific planned before the trip so go ahead and post about your day or however you want to introduce your character and I'll play off of that for a bit so we can get into the swing.
Last edited by Shock on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Re: A Whole Family of Supers (IC: Cruise Control)

Post by Crazyivan777 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Jemma
Condition: Chirpy

And downstairs Jemma thumps, data-pad in one hand, backpack in the other. "Atis adda mas. Matta adda mas." She was, once again, conjugating Atlantean verbs. It had only been a last-minute realization that writing her creative writing assignment in such a tongue might not've been the best idea, and thus her current effort (Sixteen stanzas, dactylic pentameter) was in English only.

Taking a quick turn towards the kitchen, the young super called out, "Are there any waffles? I'm feeling waffle-based this morning!"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Dr. Phineas Andersen

A family vacation would be good. Always careful, Phineas double checked his mental list of preparations.

His own passport was near expiration but the renewal should come in the mail today. With a thought he double-checked the routing information on-line and, yes, it was en route. The Andersen parents had gotten their own children passports many years back and Lisa was fastidious about keeping her own up-to-date.

Phineas double-checked the vacation tickets: Airplane tickets to the port of departure then electronic confirmation for the cruise tickets. He had spent sometime verifying their legitimacy and everything seemed on the up-and-up or he would never have exposed his family to this potential danger. The airlines tickets were not top-of-the-line, but that was to be expected from a promotional giveaway. Oh, certainly they could take the 'family van' and fly there in less time and more convenience but in order to keep the illusion of normalcy they needed both a paper trail and a verifiable presence of mundanity. Kit was already too big in popularity and the absurdity of 'Gravity Boy' flying coach was a better cover than even his mask and goggles.

He double-checked that all of his contracts were suspended for the period of vacation. It was simple enough to do when thoughts were easily digitized and sent as e-mails.

Clothes! Dang it. They would need clothes! and sunscreen! And toothbrushes! It was always the little things that slipped his mind.

He was headed to the basement to get the suitcases when he heard his daughter's call. For a girl with her parent's gifts of perfect recall she certainly showed her teenager-ness in what she 'chose' to remember.

"Utilize the photonic-based input devices your mother auto-installed upon your creation. The half-blueprints I contributed were perfectly sound as were her matching set, so I know they are structurally operational" He calls back sardonically to his brilliant daughter.

Translation: Use your eyes.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Lisa (Alpha) & O'Malley (Omega)
Condition: Normal HP: 1

Lisa ran though the list of things she needed to get done as she sprinted down the back alley after her target.

The kids needed to have their clothes packed, phone plans needed to be updated while they were going down there, the food in the kitchen needed to be thrown out or given to the neighbors. She dodged around a dumpster and vaulted over some debrie.

The passports were already packed, her clothes were good, she'd gotten a new swimsuit and a hat. Trevor would be looking after her normal clients while she was gone, but she still had a full day booked up and she needed to make sure that the paperwork was all done for the people who needed medication.

They all need medication.

For their pets.

I'd never medicate my pets. Imagine if you started drooling all over the place like that poor pitbull. came the scandalized response.

Medicine is good for you, Lisa noted mentally with a roll of her eyes.

Nice try, lady, not falling for that one again, came the quick response.

Lisa bounded around the corner and saw her goal, the door was only a block away now, but she'd never catch up to O'Malley who'd been in the lead ever since they started running back. And now that she was back out in the open she had to slow down to a reasonable speed. A woman outrunning a dog who was running all out would catch all sorts of attention, especally from the neighbors.

I win!

"Of course you won, you cheated," Lisa said, crouching down to catch her breath and rubbing her Rottweiler companion's head.

O'Malley sneezed, closest he could get to scoffing. Being a naturally superior athelete is not cheating.

"And forcing me to chase you through the most public route was just an accident?" She asked with a knowing smirk.

Not my fault you weren't holding onto the leash! Omega gave her a big lick across the face.

"Agh, dog germs!"

O'Malley bounded away, flopping into the snow and rolling around on his back, I love the smell of victory in the morning. It smells like bacon.

He looked up as a new thought dawned on him, Victory bacon! Is it time for breakfast?

"O'Malley, come," She called, as she opened the front door to the Anderson house, then quietly added, "After I've had a shower."

A quick set of stretches and a warm shower later she found herself dressed for work but standing in front of the oven. A eggs frying in one pan, bacon in another, hashbrowns in a third, and the toaster stuffed to capacity with toast. Some days you just needed a big breakfast to get through.
Jemma wrote: Taking a quick turn towards the kitchen, the young super called out, "Are there any waffles? I'm feeling waffle-based this morning!"
Dr. Phineas Andersen wrote:"Utilize the photonic-based input devices your mother auto-installed upon your creation. The half-blueprints I contributed were perfectly sound as were her matching set, so I know they are structurally operational" He calls back sardonically to his brilliant daughter.
"No yelling in the house," Lisa calls back in a sing song voice.

So then why are you...

"Don't make me eat your bacon," She said not even looking at the dog.

I'll be good. For bacon!

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Gravity Boy - Kit Andersen
HP: 1

Kit rolled over and hugged the extra pillow in his bed. He didn't do mornings. Especially mornings after a late night out when he stopped some would-be-bankrobbers from stealing several hundred thousand dollars. He snoozed his alarm for the fifth time and fell back into a dream about bacon... Bacon was something Kit did do and the smell was overpowering his sleep deprivation.

He slid to the edge of the bed and rose like a zombie, shuffling to the door. With what little momentum he'd obtained, he floated down the steps of the two story home (two stories above ground) where he continued his shuffle into the kitchen. Just as his mother dropped a strip of pork towards Omega's open jaws, he shifted the gravitational pull of the meat and brought it up to his own mouth, effectively snatching it away. "Down, boy," he crunched.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 am

Lisa (Alpha) & O'Malley (Omega)
Condition: Normal HP: 1

O'Malley looks on in horror as his bacon is stolen.

Look out, young child, that bacon has come to life! I shall save you from it's greasy temptations!

With that he quickly stood on his back legs, planted his front legs on Kit's shoulders, and promptly started licking the boy's face with gusto.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:09 am

Gravity Boy - Kit Andersen

"Geroff!" he complained around bacon and dog breath, pushing the dog back. "There's more in the pan!" Kit grabbed a napkin and wiped his face dry and then took a seat at the kitchen table. His eyes were only half open and he stared at the stove waiting for the food to be ready.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 am

Jemma

"Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" Jemma laughed as her brother was assaulted.

Scanning the contents of the stove, she then mock-sighed overdramatically, "Alas, I shall go waffle-less, out into the cruel, cruel high-school world!"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 am

Dr. Phineas
HP1, CND: happily with family

The Andersen Patriarch returns from the basement triumphantly if awkwardly carrying 5 nested suitcases in various combinations of hands, shoulder straps, and teeth.

His eyes widen when his sees the assembled clan. He sets a suitcase down in front of his eldest and takes the one from out of his mouth.

"Ah, good morning everyone." He greets. "Kit, you know better than to stay out that late before a school day with tests. But good job with the bank robbery nonetheless." He acknowledges.

With the prevalence of security cameras in the bank it was a simple matter for the technopath to watch his son's performance as other fathers might go to their child's sports event. Not a slave to sleep himself, he still shared a bed with his wife curled next to him for comfort and warmth, but his mind was free to roam the available computers and cameras while still reveling in the feel of her next to him. He'd have given a running commentary to her if she wished it and had been awake.

"Now, one suitcase to each child, adult, and animal companion. Lisa, I laid out O'Malley's 'Service Animal' doggie-vest." He presents each child with their suitcase in turn, hugging Jemma, ruffling Kit's hair, and patting Omega on his way to the stove.

"Good Morning, My Dear." He says giving his wife a tender kiss. "Have a good run with O'Malley?"

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Kit Andersen

Kit rolled his heavy eyes at his father's comments. He liked to pretend his parent's weren't watching everything he was doing all the time. It was his dad's way of gently reminding him that he wasn't out of the house yet, nor was he going anywhere his parents didn't know about. But it hardly mattered, the night had been a success. Minus the bruised rib, the look on the robber's faces when their getaway car began to float away was worth any tiredness and pain today. Kit was still a bit surprised when people hadn't heard about him and were confused to see a costumed hero show up to stop whatever wrong they were doing.

"How are we packing our 'special' gear? Or is it okay if the TSA sees our logos?" Kit asked, trying to assume they would be taking the gear at all. His father had expressed, without actually saying it, that this was a "full vacation", but the young hero wouldn't have it. Crime didn't go on vacation, even at the beach. He just wanted to be ready.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Dr Phineas

Phineas pursed his lips. "And how would it look if Gravity Boy showed up on a beach that there are records of Kit Andersen cruising to? It wouldn't take a criminal super-genius to figure that one out, Young Man." He said in his 'patient, instructional' voice.

"That goes for you too, Jemma. We know about that 'Utility belt' you've been assembling. Most of those items wouldn't be allowed on plane or ship."

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Kit Andersen

Kit had learned how to purse his own lips from his father and he gave the look right back. "And it's going to look even more suspicious if we have to use our powers there and we don't have any masks or gear to wear," Kit said with a large hint of sarcasm.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Jemma

Jemma sighed, "Fine, no belt." She then poured herself some orange juice and, as an afterthought, poured some for her brother. Only those who would suspect anything underhanded might've noticed the brief contact between her phone and Kit's, transferring the databot that would correct any perceived error on his last night's homework. Kit had been busy, and Jemma felt it was her duty to make sure it didn't cut into his grades.
"Besides," she teased, "He's hoping he'll be able to rescue some supermodel or something."

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Dr. Phineas
whiteprofit wrote: "And it's going to look even more suspicious if we have to use our powers there and we don't have any masks or gear to wear," Kit said with a large hint of sarcasm.
"Exactly!" Dr. Phineas held an upraised finger. "No making things fly about. No distorting your local gravitation field to walk on the walls. Don't draw attention to yourself in obvious ways. If you need to *really* need to augment your physical strength to carry suitcases then... okay. You do that with no hint of power use but even then, show restraint. Don't show off. Is this understood?"

He nods acknowledgement and thanks to his daughter's acquiescence.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Kit Andersen
Crazyivan777 wrote:"He's hoping he'll be able to rescue some supermodel or something."
"And what's wrong with that? Beautiful people need saving too," Kit said, annoyed that his motivations could be anything but just and honorable.
Last edited by whiteprofit on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.