2e Emerald City Knights: Birds of a Feather

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

2e Emerald City Knights: Birds of a Feather

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 am

Season One: Emerald City Knights

Season Two: Emerald City Days

Starring
badpenny as Silverbird / Aranea
baixiwei as Chrysalis
Fuzzyboots as Mockingbird
Gilliam as Jackie Frost
kenseido as Photon / Kisai
Omega Girl as Stormbreaker
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am, edited 18 times in total.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Re: 2e Emerald City Knights IC 1: The Silver Storm

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 am

Emerald City: long ago a sleepy fishing town, then a gateway for immigration from the far East, then a bastion of the paper and lumber industries, then, in the last two decades, the Silicon Valley of the Northwest. A city known for its love-hate relationship with Wizard of Oz and a bustling Chinatown, not super-powered battles or famous heroes. While Freedom City is awash in capes, this is the city where, in the words of billionaire tech magnate Maximilian Mars, "we can all be our own heroes". Peaceful, stable, prosperous Emerald City.

Today all that ends. Today everything changes. Today the city needs heroes as never before. It is 1:30pm on April 15th, 2013, the day of...

The Silver Storm
Prologue & Episode 1

Jackie Frost

It's smack in the middle of the lunch hour rush and you're in your beat-up car, wearing your one presentable set of clothes and the last of your makeup, heading towards what will - hopefully - be the first respectable job opportunity you've had in months, an interview with a real estate firm. You're running late but if you make it in time, this could be your first real chance to turn your life around for good. Stepping on the gas, you speed through the downtown commercial district, past the brightly-painted Yellow Brick Row in the city center.

Or rather, you would be speeding through downtown if not for the fact that right in front of you is a truck driving slow in the fast lane and holding up half the city. The driver seems oblivious to honks and obscenities, and proudly branded across the back doors of the vehicle are the words 'REDSHIFT ENERGIES' with a red-to-orange gradient applied across them. You're pretty sure that if you were a sciencey person, there would be a physics joke in there somewhere.

But you don't have time for jokes. At this rate, you aren't just going to be LATE, you're going to be HISTORY.

Time for some drastic action.
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am

Photon

"Wow, does that stuff really work?"

"Un-bee-lee-vable."

"I'm telling you, this is your big chance. Bet everything you got and take the house."

"Yeah, go for it, man. Pay him back for the $200 I lost."

The back alley rings with the jeers and cheers of people crowded about the upturned crate you're using as a table. In front of you are three overturned McDonalds cups, a gaggle of noisy college kids and the mark - some hapless East Coast tourist - whom you're going to bleed dry of disposable income. And except for the mark, all of them are in your pocket.

It wasn't hard at all to round up a few cash-hungry college kids from ECU as shills and start running backstreet shell games as a get-rich-quick scheme. The downtown tourist zone, centered around the Emerald Museum and the vast shopping arcade of the Yellow Brick Road, proves full of witless schmucks waiting to be picked clean. Let them win a few games, get them to keep playing, have one of the kids show them a "secret sure-win technique" and tempt them into betting big. Easy.

Suddenly the cheap cell phone in your pocket starts vibrating. That's the signal from your lookout for "cops are coming, scram."

At the table, the mark raises his hand. He reaches out towards one of the cups, hesitates, brows furrowed in deep concentration that you know is futile, waffling with indecision.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:49 am

Mockingbird

Few would have guessed that your career would end this way: on a bright sunny day in downtown EC, walking towards the Emerald Museum of National & Political History to hand over your costume and gadgets. On both sides tourists and locals bustle by, paying you and your burden little attention. Decades after it all started, after the endless tests and training and battles against low-level supers, after being sent a continent away and then forgotten altogether, it is coming to an end. Is this how it feels to kill the Mockingbird?

Yet this day feels full of promise, as if you are back in the summer of possibility again. As if it were not an ending but a beginning, somehow. The springtime sun overhead bathes you in light that seems welcoming, almost hopeful.

As you round a street corner and come into view of the museum's facade you notice a police cruiser pull over at the side of the road near you. Four uniformed policemen exit the vehicle and stride past you at a brisk, purposeful pace towards a back alley nearby.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 am

Silverbird

You're at one of the downtown bistros just opposite the Yellow Brick row, and all about you is the murmur of polite conversation, patrons bent over tablets or laptops, and the aroma of your preferred brew. It's a weekday but you don't have any more classes for today at ECU - more well-known as an engineering university but sporting a remarkably high-ranked law faculty as well, one of the best in the nation. Best of all, Dad's coming to see you, the first time he's been able to drop by since you started classes last fall. It warms your heart, and fills you with something else besides, to be studying him and the landmark cases he fought and won in your classes.

Except he isn't here yet. A quick glance towards the road and all you see is a truck belonging to one 'Redshift Energies' holding up traffic; his car is nowhere in sight. He's running on fifteen minutes late, and you know Dad's almost never late. At the very least, he would've called you to let you know he couldn't make it or tell you not to worry.

Maybe it's time to start worrying.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 am

Stormbreaker

It's lunchtime and you're at your favorite seat in your favorite bistro, the one directly opposite the Starbucks at the Yellow Brick Road, and it has to be this one because it has lightning-fast wifi (you know, you've tried them all). Perfect for sneaking in an hour's worth of raiding in World of Siegecraft before heading back to MarsTech campus.

The new patch came out last night that finally fixed that dungeon you and your guild have been practicing for weeks; there used to be a bug that made it impossible to complete but now it's been ironed out. If you beat the prime time crowd to it and slay the most difficult raid boss ever designed, you could be the first guild ever to complete the dungeon and win the legendary Sword that Pierces the Heavens, the Terror of the Gods, the one-copy-per-server unique raid loot "Forever". How cool is that?

You put on your Razer headset, flip open the laptop and log into World of Siegecraft. The chat window fills up with chatter as you assemble the raid team and guildmates chat excitedly over Vent. You hustle everyone into formation and load into the instance, and there's a few tense seconds of staring at the load screen as you wait impatiently for the most dreaded foe in the game to show itself.

A moment later you get a dialog box that reads

World of Siegecraft.exe wrote:LOST CONNECTION TO SERVER

And your headset falls silent.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 am

Chrysalis

You dream...

The hospital room is quiet except for the beeping of the ECG machine. Gifts from well-wishers surround the hospital bed: plastic flowers, a silver crucifix, newspaper clippings, a series of framed photographs. In the photographs you see a young woman cradling a baby surrounded by a halo of light. The next one shows a young woman and a man, hugging. A couple with a pair of children. The same couple, now older, with the same children, now teenagers. A vase of plastic flowers sits on the bedside table, covered by a faint coat of dust.

They shine bright and warm and comforting against the cold walls of the ward, like oil lamps in the dark. The colors spell out hope, compassion, love.

You dream...

The door opens and two uniformed medical staff walk in. "See? There she is," one, a woman, smiles and nods at you. The other, a man, enters and looks at you with a familiar expression of curiosity and wonder. They chat as they go about their duties, and she tells him your story.

You dream...!

There is a dreamer in the dream with you. This has never happened before.

He or she or it, it's not possible to tell - manifests as a faint grey presence in the middle of the room. It has no eyes and no features, yet you know its attention is on you. The two nurses don't react to it. One of them turns and walks right through it without so much as a blink.

The colors spell worry, confusion, fear.

bEWarE, it speaks, its voice distorted by some strange hissing and crackling sound. BEwaRe.

Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Omega Girl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Stormbreaker
HP: 2 - Condition: Fine

"Okay crew, we don't know if they've tweaked on Black Gnashtooth's timing, so I don't want anyone but tanks near him. A-team is pulling those swarms off him, and B-team is gonna soak until we get the new pattern down. Healers, we're counting on you to keep everyone up, because it's gonna get ugly fast. And controllers, we need a chain-casting of Quake-or-Death on my mark-"

Ysariel wrote:
World of Siegecraft.exe wrote:LOST CONNECTION TO SERVER

And your headset falls silent.

"You scum-sucking spaz weasel!" Reload! Reload! Reload! "Aw, c'mon! Don't do this to me, Janey!" Mal had been fighting with her laptop, Jesse Jane, all week. She'd eaten two network cards so far, but this newest one should've fixed the issue... Even if it wasn't technically legal to own for another week. Even the network connect at Starbucks was down! This town lived and breathed wifi. "Okay, not problem. I'll just tether to my yPhone and pay for the extra data, and- NO SIGNAL?! You miserable flap-stack! I could THROW you to a cell tower from here! Doubleyou-tee-eff?!"

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Kent Miller

The buzzing in his leg told him it was time to go. He gave a silent signal to the others so they would know to roll with whatever he did and split.

"Look, friend, I can see you obviously have a morale issue with taking my money. Since I have to go and take my Mom to the Doctor's office, why don't we just call this a wash. You keep your money and I'll keep mine." Kent slowly reaches for the pile of cash the mark would win if he guessed which cup had the ball.

Which was none of them, since it was currently hidden in the secret pocket in his sleeve, so he could quickly insert it under whichever cup wasn't selected.

Bluff to trick him to pick now:
Sleight of Hand to quickly show the ball under a different cup: Got a 2, Can't let that stand; HP to reroll: Image
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Mockingbird
HP: 1

Laziness briefly warred with curiosity in Mockingbird's head. It is probably none of my business. A routine traffic stop. Still... well, what else would I be doing with my day? An inner voice, sounded oddly like Jimminy Cricket in his head, whispered that he was trying to put off turning his costume in, but he metaphorically stomped it down and began meandering toward the mouth of the alleyway. His bones creaked and the extra motion brought a slight hitch to his breath, but the key to stealth had always been as much knowing when to move as having the physicality to move quietly. In fact, an unhurried stroll drew much less attention than creeping in the shadows.

OOC: He'll be taking 10 for a total of 18, trying to look like he belongs. ^_^

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Emmy Brewster

No, this was not like Dad at all. Emmy glanced down at her smartphone and bit her lip. Why was she nervous? Not only was this not like Dad, this was unlike her. She finished her cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and her phone began to play Tegan And Sara's Closer: Jack-Jack Calling the screen read.

"Hey my brother-from-another-mother," Emmy said. He finished their ritual with, "Hey my sister-from-another-mister. Where you at, biotch?"

Emmy pulled the phone from her ear and glared at it. "Um, waiting for my Dad at Higher Grounds." Ticked. He'd forgotten.

"Um, you're like supposed to be sitting across from me tackling property rights statutes." Jack was trying to make it light with the affected teenager speak, but Emmy always had to tell him something ten times. She loved her wittle Jack-Jack to DEATH, but why did he choose this profession again?

She stopped paying attention to her phone when she thought she saw her Dad's Infiniti. "Em? Aunt-ie Emmmm?" Jack singsonged.

Huh, now it was gone. Weird. "Jack, I gotta bounce."

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Chrysalis

Christina is not surprised by the strange presence in her hospital room. After all, surprise at the unusual is the province of wakeful rationality, a state quite unfamiliar to her. The closest she ever comes are moments of comparative clarity, like this one, when the tide goes out in the sea of her dreams and leaves her standing, briefly, on the shores at the border of consciousness, 'looking' at the real world around her as at some beautiful new continent that fills her heart with longing before the tides return and draw her back into the watery depths of near-oblivion.

In her mind, she smiles at the grey, featureless form, the corners of her mouth twitching subtly in her sleeping face in the faintest imitation. Strange and unheard of it may be to her, but that strangeness does not impede the compassion she instinctively feels for the fear she sees gnawing at its heart. She wishes she could reach out to it, to hold it and speak to it in comforting tones, the way others do to her, sometimes, sitting by her bedside with her hand held gently in theirs.

But her limbs are heavy as ever and do not respond, and her voice is only thought echoing in her own mind. Don't worry, don't be afraid, she 'murmurs' to herself, her dormant vocal cords stirring imperceptibly by mere instinct, I will protect you. She really believes it. But of course, the grey presence cannot hear her thoughts ... can it?

OOC wrote:Assuming I'm still in my catatonic state until further notice, right? I wasn't sure whether I yet have any or all of my perception & communication abilities so I'm pretty much leaving it up to the GM. :)
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Gilliam » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 am

Jackie Frost
HP: 1
Condition:

"Get out of the way you piece of junk" Aoife cursed at the slow moving truck in front of her, changing down a gear Aoife tried not to wince at the sound of the gears grinding which was another reminder of how important this interview was for her.

She had really planned for this interview even allowing more than enough time to get over to the offices of the real estate firm except she had forgotten to set the alarm on her clock and then she had had to stop and get petrol because the car had been running on empty for several days now and well you didn't want to run out of petrol on the way.

Taking a breath to try and calm down Aoife hit the horn again as the Redshift truck in front of her seemed to go even slower than before if that was possible, "Why me, what did I do to deserve this" Aoife thought to herself kicking her heels back under the drivers seat while continuing to glare at the truck in front of her.

Glancing at her watch Aoife saw that there was little time to spare and unless she got pass this truck she would be late and the first real job in ages would be gone too. "Damm it, I am not going back to that sleazy bar after walking out or the supermarket after saying I was going to make it big because of a stupid slow truck"

Spying a gap in the traffic Aoife slammed her bare foot onto the accelerator, remembering to indicate (this time), as the beat up car started to overtake the truck whilst Aoife continued to ignore the little voice in her head saying "Don't do anything stupid, you don't have a license anymore, don't draw attention to yourself"

Drive Check 13 + 4 = 17 for passing the truck.

As IC is still down I rolled a d20 if that's okay or you can roll for me.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 am

Jackie Frost

Home free! There's a storm of startled honks from all quarters as you step on the gas and zoom into the opening with this much to spare on either side. Fellow drivers watch gape-mouthed as you speed by the slow-mo truck in a dazzling maneuver that is sure to show up on Youtube by the evening. As you zoom away, you notice that all the truck's windows are tinted black - unusual but a lot less annoying than getting in your way.

You earn yourself all of a minute of relief before you hear a tremendous explosion somewhere in the distance. In your rear-view mirror you see a tsunami wave of silver vapor, crackling with blue lightning, sweep up the road towards you, swallowing cars and tossing them about like plastic toys. It engulfs your car and the world turns silvery-grey.

Mockingbird & Photon

"Okay, okay! I'll pick!" The mark exclaims in a panic, eyes fixed on the money he lost (which he's going to win back this round, of course). Gritting his teeth in grim determination, he closes his hand over the middle cup and, with a dramatic fluorish, yanks it into the air to reveal... nothing. Game over, thanks for playing! Kent pockets the money just as his shills make a run for it. In the excitement, one might be forgiven for failing to notice that his cell phone on vibrate had stopped ringing.

Keep the HP since there's no way you can fail. He has bystander stats and your accomplices almost certainly count for a circumstance bonus. :)

At that exact moment the four police officers come striding into the alleyway, see what's going on, and break into a run amidst cries of "Stop!" Behind them, unnoticed by anyone on the scene, and little more than a faceless passer-by to anyone's eyes, Mockingbird follows the cops just in time to see a second police cruiser park itself at the far end of the alley to trap Kent's accomplices in.

Suddenly there is an ear-shattering boom, like a bomb going off, and a storm of silver vapor rushes into the alley like a water from a tsunami, billowing over and around the police cruiser. Blue lightning crackles from it and strikes down the hapless people trapped in the narrow alley. There is no escape. It surges forward, knocking civilians and police alike to the ground, and swallows the two of you whole.

Stormbreaker & Silverbird

Whatever Jack's response is, it gets eaten by static before Emmy can hear it. A glance at her cell phone shows no bars. And judging by the young woman at the corner table engaging in a rant of legendary proportions, there is indeed "NO SIGNAL?!" With the eye of a lawyer analyzing evidence she notes the television in a corner shows only static. "Hey, something wrong with your router?" Emmy hears someone call.

Half the customers within earshot, and a good number of passers-by, have turned to stare gape-mouthed at Mallory's epic outburst. But she's not the only one having trouble. Look up from the laptop, and she'd see that the other half are fussing with smartphones and laptops, throwing confused glances about. Look up a little more, and she would notice that the customers at the Starbucks opposite the bistro are doing the same too.

Without warning, a deafening blast shakes the city and sends everyone not seated stumbling. Screams and shouts of alarm ring out in the distance, from the road, and if you turn your heads to look you see a massive tidal wave of silver vapor roil towards you and engulf everything in its path: cars, shops, people. It glitters in the sun and flashes with blue lightning that illuminates it from within. In seconds it has swallowed the road, the cars, then the front of the Yellow Brick Row, and then the bistro, and then you both.

Chrysalis

Some spark of intuition you can't explain tells you that the being understands you, but your promise of protection doesn't seem to calm it. Dreamily you think you know why: it's not worried for itself. It's worried... for others.

BeBeware, the voice repeats. They They mEAn to use use it as a WeaPoN.

The greyish figure flickers, as it trying to stay whole against the force of some unseen wind. It trembles in mid-air, then dissipates like dust being blown off an old shelf.

In the distance, a great explosion shakes the hospital to its foundations. The two nurses stumble and fall. A photo frame slides off the bedside table and shatters. You hear screams from elsewhere in the hospital. And suddenly you are aware of the pain, the vast knot of pain somewhere not far from here. There has always been suffering in the hospital, but this is different, this is on another scale entirely. People are bleeding and dying by the hundreds. You can feel them crying out for help, for salvation.

The lights go out and the only illumination in the room is your otherworldly aura. The dream grows even clearer, sharpens. You dream that you feel the rise and fall of your chest, smell the antiseptic smell of the hospital, hear the beating of your heart.

You dream... you dream that you are free.

You're no longer catatonic. :)
Last edited by Ysariel on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:43 am

All

At 1:32pm, a massive explosion erupts in the heart of the city. The impact can be heard and felt throughout Emerald City, and the blast throws up giant silver clouds a dozen stories high that blanket most of the downtown commercial district in fine, metallic mist and shatter every window for several blocks in all directions. Blue lightning flashes from within it, crackling and sparking and lighting the city in an otherworldly glow for a few seconds. Then, as fast as it came, it mists away into nothing, leaving behind a city turned disaster zone.

Those who rush to the scene - first responders, the curious, a few foolhardy souls - witness a scene that wouldn't be out of place in a war zone. People are running down the streets, crawling from burning vehicles, dragging wounded loved ones with them or staggering along as they nurse bloody wounds. Shrieks and cries of pain fill the city center.

Lying on the ground in a back alley, an old Soviet supersoldier feels the strength of his youth miraculously seep back into his bones. Not far away, Kent Miller - surrounded by the unconscious bodies of police and the youngsters he'd roped into this alike - feels different in a way words can't describe. In the alleyway beyond, crowds of panicked tourists pour out of the Emerald Museum's doors in a stampede as they desperately try to get to safety.

Her car flipped on its side by the blast, Jackie Frost opens her eyes to see that everything - the seats, windshield, steering wheel - is covered by a fine layer of frost that spreads out from her vehicle in a starburst pattern on the road. Outside, flames flicker from crashed vehicles as people cry for help.

In a hospital room not far away two cowering nurses watch, transfixed, as the beeping from the ECG increases in pace and the unearthly light brightens.

In the shattered ruins of the bistro Emmy finds herself staring into a shard of broken glass, and the reflection it shows her is one she can't recognize.

Mere feet away, Mallory's right hand tingles with a strange, prickly feeling. Blue lightning dances between the fingers of her right hand, then dies away.

Not all are so lucky. The Yellow Brick Road is choked with the debris and the wounded. Hundreds have suffered injuries ranging from glass cuts to electricity burns and an unlucky few have been struck by flying debris or suffered more serious wounds. To worsen things, many are just milling around in a state of shock, preventing the injured from getting out. Things like this don't happen in Emerald City.

The authorities are nowhere in sight and the roads are clogged with crashed vehicles. They can't do anything to help - but you can.

You all have your powers now. The disaster scene is a chance for you to show off your awesomeness, let people know that yes, there are heroes in EC now. All of you are within a relatively short distance of each other and can meet up if you like.

Return to “M&M Game Room”