2e Emerald City Knights: Birds of a Feather

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: 2e Emerald City Knights: Birds of a Feather

Post by kenseido » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:57 am

Kisai

When Philip sees Chrysalis and Jackie enter the Expo, his first instinct is to run. Unfortunately...
baixiwei wrote:"Look - there's Philip!"
Philip stands frozen as the others come over to him. Up close, Jackie is likely to see the distortion of his cloak, so pretending to be a figment of Chrysalis' imagination is out.
baixiwei wrote:"Where have you been? What have you-" She hesitates, cocking her head curiously. "Something looks different?"
Cornered by the two, all he can do is stammer out "H-h-h-hi, guys," as he reappears in front of them.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Gilliam » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:05 am

Jackie Frost

Looks like Chrysalis was right as an almost sheepish looking Phillip reappeared in front of them.

"Hello Phillip, how are you?" Jackie replies her voice neither warm or cold just neutral, the man had vanished from the face of the earth without even a word and the couple of times she had tried to call him hadn't gotten a response.

"Can I ask what you are doing here?"

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:35 am

Aranea
Emerald City

With inhuman strength for your size, you swing the gigantic, hideously-ugly hellhound into a dumpster which explodes in a shower of rotting garbage. You see the thing struggling amidst the debris but it's not getting up yet; you realize that the spines along its back are stuck firmly in the brick wall. This is your chance. If you're going to run, change, or finish it off -- act now!
Toughness DC 25 (1d20+8-1=13)Failed by 12, Staggered and Stunned
You are able to change into costume if you want now. :)
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 am

Mockingbird
Safehouse

The papers are copies and contain data on at least three models. There is detailed information on yields, powers, mental stability, operational characteristics such as the ability to follow and execute complex orders ('handling'), nutrition and upkeep, medical data (under 'maintenance') and much more.
Mockingbird wrote:"You emphasize my status as double agent in accordance with the government," He look up into Aleksei's eyes, checking for signs of prevarication, "But the words you have spoken... is this a sanctioned operation?" He kept his eyes on Aleksei's. "I am still a Russian citizen, and, as former military, you will understand that I am hesitant to immediately accept that our leaders have signed off on this in whole." He kept his hands away from his weapons and spread them in appeasement.
"Our leaders? Which ones?" Aleksei snorts at you. "The ones that capitulated to the West, destroyed our way of life, humiliated our nation, disappointed our people, abandoned its soldiers, and left Russia in the sorry state it is in now? When the Cold War ended, what consideration did they show to the men whose lives and bodies that were destroyed to turn into weapons? Would you like to know, Ivan?" He stabs a finger at the papers you hold, and his eyes focus on you intensely. "After the war, Spetsgruppa Gámma was no longer an asset. They grew embarrassed of the sacrifices they asked of us. So they sealed the bunkers with concrete and left the subjects to rot! I will not stand for this. I act in accordance with the will of the Supreme Soviet!"

Mikhail shakes his head. "I must agree with Ivan," he says. "The Union is gone, Aleksei! It is dead two decades now. The cold war is over --"

"It could have been won! The people had the will, the army had the will. Only our spineless leaders had not the will!"

"You ask these men to sacrifice themselves for a ghost," Mikhail grits his teeth, stabbing a finger at the soldiers around the room.

Aleksei shook his head. "I am disappointed," he says. "Especially with you, Ivan. I thought you remained loyal after two decades. 'Living is what I live for'? Now I see the capitalist rot has gotten to you. You have last chance. Convince me of your loyalty -- you already know too much."

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:26 am

Kisai

Jackie's words cut deeper than any angry tirade or disappointed question ever could. Of course she moved on.

In fact, he's surprised Chrysalis hadn't. He was harshest to her at the trial and never explained it.

After a moment, he lets out a sigh and then looks Jackie in the eyes.

"Mars thinks something is going to happen. He asked me to come down here and do the hero thing," he says in near monotone.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Post by badpenny » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 am

Aranea
Condition: Bruise 1
HP: 3

Maya gave a satisfied smile, but quickly let it drop as the dog from hell still looked like it might have some fight left in it. It felt like it might not be connected to the guys chasing her. They were soldiers of some kind--just faceless, relentless men. But not supernatural.

Now that she had a second to herself, the cuts across her thighs really stung. Maya sprayed the dog down with webbing and moved out of sight to take off her clothing and stepped out with her mask on. She felt better--freer! With a leap, she was back up on the overhead wire. She looked down at the dog from hell shaking its head. Its red eyes bored holes into her soul. You're just going to keep coming, aren't you?

Aranea somersaulted and twisted in mid-air, shot out twin lines of webbing and swung from telephone pole to telephone pole until she was clear of the alley. Once she was away from the more residential area, the buildings increased in height, and she could really put on some speed.

If I stay off the ground, it won't be able to follow me, she thought, shooting a web line and swinging up into a high arc and then let herself fall down and on to the side of an office building. She stayed there for a few minutes waiting to see if she had eluded the hell hound. She looked down at all the people. Oh no, if it does follow me, I led it right into all these people! God, that was dumb! Where was she, anyway? She'd just swung for it like mad and hadn't paid any attention to where she'd been heading.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: 2e Emerald City Knights IC 4: Chains of Command

Post by FuzzyBoots » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Mockingbird
HP: 3 (now 2)

Ivan sighed and buried his face in his hands briefly before raising it, his face beginning to purple, partly from actual anger and partly from taking advantage of having dipped his head forward.

"Aleksei, I would take this abuse from Mikhail," he said tightly, "He, at least, is a soldier." Ivan smoothly kipped to a standing position and began pacing, trying to keep momentum. "He is one of the people who has stood on the front lines, much as all of these men here, as well as their backups, will likely need to do. You, Aleksei, are not infantry. You are a politician and you are a killer. I do not hold the latter against you, of course, but the former is every bit the insult. If you were a front-line soldier, I would respectfully tell you that you are an idiot. Instead, I say it with very little respect. You are an idiot who is trying to hold onto his last shreds of glory like an American high school quarterback. You are trying to use a plot lifted from a video game. You are pitting Cold War technology against the latest technological advances, not to mention superheroes! And for what? So that you may stand on top again? That you might run your own 'Glorious Revolution'?" Mockingbird palmed his communicator behind his back and tried to trigger the panic button.

"When I served Mother Russia, as I hope you once did, I would not follow stupid orders that would cheat righteous men of their chance to serve the Union. I would rather die a patriot than to live a traitor to my country. Please, tell me that this is just some jest. A foolish attempt at humor." Mockingbird took a deep breath and then let it out angrily, his muscles buzzing with adrenalin, certain that at any moment, he would have to attempt to dodge bullets.
The Mockingbird then would have just gone along with this... I was a coward then. I have learned I can be so much more now. And now this fool thinks to use me as his catspaw? He slipped the communicator back into its pouch and looked Aleksei in the eye.
"What will it be, Aloysha?"
OOC: Don't you love it when the PCs face a set of enemies and one lone voice yells, "Let's try to parley!" That's happening to me. The fact that it's a voice in my head is probably a matter of concern. Anyhow, Diplomacy: (1d20+5=16) probably won't cut it even with the +4 from my Cult Hero feat (Yay! I get to use it!), so another Hero Point... Diplomacy (HP Reroll): (1d20+5=18) gets me 22, enough to at least move people up a rank in their stance... that's something at least, right? I'm hoping that some of them started at least at Indifferent. :|

Sleight of Hand: (1d20+6=17) for the communicator.

And the "Aloysha" is the diminutive version of Aleksei. Yes, it's a bit inflammatory.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Gilliam » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:48 am

Jackie Frost
HP: 4
Condition: Normal

"Of course ... Mars asked you to help." Jackie replied in her neutral tone "And once again no one said anything to us ... fudging typical." With a small sigh Jackie took another look round the convention centre, glancing back to see if Chrys was okay now that she had found Philip before turning to face Philip.

"Yeah Mr Mars did sound very anxious that nothing goes wrong here, we have just come from an encounter with a submarine and a group of Russians outside the city. They had enough weapons for a small army. You still got the commlink?" Jackie waited for Philip's nod of the head before continuing "Lets split up then and look for anything unusual, yell if you find anything ... oh and Philip if you need to disappear to get a coffee or something let us first. Okay."

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 am

Kisai

Philip cocks his head at the mention of Russians.

"Russians, this sounds like something Mockingbird would..." Philip trails off. He had no business telling them what to do. This was there team not his.

He nods at the question about the commlink, producing it form his pocket and flicking it on... for the first time in three months. After Rheia managed to plant it on him regularly for a month, he stopped resisting and started carrying it again, albeit always turned off.

"Will do." He turns to head away from the two of them. As painful as that was, he deserved nothing less.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 am

Mockingbird
Safehouse

For a moment, Aleksei looks like he's about to shoot you. You see the veins in his neck bulge, see his brow furrow, see his jaws clench and his eyes widen.

"Fine," he spits at last. "You are the joke, Ivan. We are birds of a feather, but you refuse to return to the flock. I warn you: stay out of the way. You inform anyone, you act against my men, I will kill you with the rest. See if the Americans will save you when the bombs start to fall." He turns to the room. "Those of you with a spine, follow me!"

Nobody moves a muscle. Mikhail stands next to you, one hand on his machine pistol.

Aleksei turns and leaves with a final snort of disgust, slamming the door so hard that bits of plaster rain down on you all. The men exchange glances. The chain of command has turned out to be more complicated than anticipated.

"What now?" Mikhail asks on behalf of everyone. "That lunatic, he must still have control over the super soldiers. He will trust them to carry out his orders if we do not."
You gain 1 HP for resolving the scene without combat.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:31 am

Aranea
Convention center

Minutes pass and no hellhound. You take a moment to get your bearings and realize that you've run all the way to the city center and are stuck to the side of the huge Future Dynamics HQ tower. Not far away is Emerald Tower and the convention center nestled among the forest of skyscrapers. Startled office workers point and stare at the sight of an unfamiliar -- well, less-familiar -- super in town, and someone takes a picture.

Then, as one, the office workers scatter. You turn and see the vast bulk of the hellhound coming for you, one and a half tons of muscle and bone with spittle flying from its fearsome jaws, rocketing towards you from the side.

It hits you like a ton of bricks and knocks you clear off the building; a lesser human would have been pulped by the impact. The two of you go tumbling end over end, flying through the air, smashing through the roof of the convention center in a rain of broken glass. Then you are falling down, down, down into --
I fiat and knock you all the way into the convention center. Make a DC 23 Toughness save and gain 1 HP. :)

Don't post until my update for the rest goes through.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am

Chrysalis, Jackie Frost & Kisai
Convention center

Before the three heroes can split up, there's a terrific shattering sound as the thick glass roof of the convention center's dome bursts open. A giant hellhound, wrestling viciously with a girl in a white, yellow and black costume, crashes down on the catwalk between Kisai and the other two. The impact makes the catwalk sag dangerously. Down below, people stare gape-mouthed and point at the spectacle.
The Hellhound has no chance against 4 heroes, so feel free to describe defeating it. :) Once defeated it vanishes in a burst of purple fire.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 2e Emerald City Knights IC 5: Invasion From Beyond

Post by baixiwei » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:17 am

CHRYSALIS
HP: 3, Conditions: normal, Character Sheet

Chrys looked back and forth between Jackie and Kisai. She could sense the tension but didn't understand it's cause. For her, Kisai's absence surely had an explanation, and sudden disappearances and reappearances were the story of her life until a few months ago anyway, so his absence hadn't seemed unusual. But Jackie -

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden alarm from her communicator, accompanied by the clinical, synthesized British woman's voice saying "Mockingbird requires assistance. Mockingbird requires assistance." "We'll talk later," Chrys said urgently, calling her teammates' attention to the alarm. "Mockingbird needs us!"

Then the hellhound crashed in through the glass ceiling. "Was this all Mars was worried about? You two can handle it. I'll go help Mockingbird. I can get there fastest anyway." She looked back and forth between Jackie and Kisai for confirmation, obviously forgetting that Kisai could teleport.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Post by badpenny » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 am

Aranea
Condition: Bruise 2, Stunned
HP: 3>4

Between the surprise of the hellhound's return and its sudden burst of speed--never mind the sheer force of the impact--Aranea was knocked senseless. She feebly lifted a hand to shoot a line of webbing to the ceiling, but somewhere between her head and her hand, the signal got lost.

She plummeted to the floor and the hellhound dropped right on top of her. It's giant maw was about to close on her head!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:38 am

Kisai

The call for assistance from Mockingbird sends a cold chill down Philip's spine. He really didn't know what to say to any of them. In a way, Jackie had let him off the hook; he doubted the others would be so accommodating.

Fortune shined on him (sort of) with the appearance of the hellhound. At least he had a good reason not to go with them now.

"You two should go help him. I can handle this."

Frankly, he would rather wait until they left, but the woman took a nasty blow to the head when she fell and she looked in trouble. Channeling the harness's field generators, the faux dragon head forms around his hands and a blast of energy is released, slamming into the hellhound.

If only he could still heal people.