D&D Type Fantasy Setting 3E OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: D&D Type Fantasy Setting (Interest Thread) 3E

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 am

Hmmm, I missed this thread somehow. I'm interested, and I'd like to pitch the cleric I made(well, reconfigured) for Plan B's game which sadly didn't get very far, but now I'm not sure with Hound's priest submission since it would be a direct competition (his priest is pretty focused on having a few powerful effects, where mine is a little more rounded.)

Here's my cleric, just in case. She'd need to be brought up some to PL8, and edited a little for the change in setting.
Name: Charlotte d'Orien of the Azure Flame
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 101 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin: Caucasian
Power Level: 8
Power Points: 115
Hero Points: 1
[36]ABI [16]DEF [14]SKI [ 8]ADV [40]POW

[36]Abilities
Strength: 3/5 (8 for Grappling & Lifting)
Stamina: 3
Agility: 2
Dexterity: -1
Fighting: 6
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 3
Presence: 2

[*]Combat[*]
Initiative: +6
Unarmed: +6 DC18/20 Tgh (Bluedgeon)
Swords: +8 DC21/23 Tgh (Radiant, Slashing)

[16]Defenses
Toughness: + 8(3+5)
Dodge: + 8(2+5+1)
Parry: + 8(6+1+1)
Fortitude: + 8(3+5)
Will: + 8(3+5)

[15]Skills(42 Non-Combat sp, 2 Combat sp)
Athletics 4(+7/+9), C.C:Swords 2(+8), Deception 7(+9/11), Expertise(Religion) 4(+4), Insight 7(+10), Perception 7(+10), Pursuasion 7(+9/11), Treatment 7(+7)

[ 8]Advantages
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit(Ambidexterity), Benefit(Member of House Orien), Equipment, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action

[5/5]Equipment
[ 2] Ring of Protection(Dodge +1, Parry +1)
[ 1] Basic Adventuring Kit
[ 1] Healer's Kit
[ 1] Spyglass (Senses 1 (Extended Visual))

[40]Powers
[13] Twin Soulfire Blades, Easily Removable(-8 points), Concealable, Feature(Must be disarmed twice, once for each blade), Quirk(Must have both drawn to use Multiattack)
-[11]Strength-Based Damage 3, Multiattack 7, Improved Critical
-[ 1]Affects Incorporeal 2, Limited(Undead Incorpoeal Only)
-[ 8]Healing 2, Reaction(Hitting an enemy), Personal Only
-[ 1]Feature 1 (Illumination)

[ 8] Sacred Raiments, Removeable(-2 points)
-[ 5]Celesteel Plate Armor: Protection 5
-[ 2]Senses 2 (Darkvision)
-[ 3]Winged Cloak: Winged Flight 3, Feature(Wings change into a cloak when not in use), Activation: Move

[19] Cleric of the Sovereign Host, Array 16 points w/ 3 Alternate Effects
/=Strength Domain=
|[10]Feat of Strength:
|* Enhanced Trait 5 (+5 Strength), Limited to Lifting 3 and Enhanced Strength 3, Limited to Grappling
|[ 6]Strength Devotion:
|* Penetrating Strength 5, and Feature(All Melee attacks gain Adamantine descriptor)

/=Protection Domain=
|[10]Shield of Faith:
|* Create 7, Increased Mass, Precise, Selective, Stationary, Tether, Limited to Shields, Proportionate
|[ 6]Protection Devotion:
|* Deflect 7, Diminished Range

/=Spontaneous Healing=
|[16]Cure Wounds:
|* Healing 8

/=Cleric Spells=
|[ 7]Sanctuary:
|* Affliction 7 (vs Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled), Area(Perception(Visual)), Concentration, Cumulative, Instant Recovery, Limited(Affected enemy being attacked breaks the effect), Limited(Single Command; Do not attack Avelyn or her allies)
|[ 7]Zone of Truth
|* Affliction 7 (vs Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled), Area(Burst), Concentration, Cumulative, Instant Recovery, Limited(Affected enemy being attacked breaks the effect), Limited(Single Command; Answer truthfully)
|[ 2]Supernal Tongue:
|* Comprehend 3 (Speak/Understand Languages & Understood by all), Activation: Move, Concentration

Complications:
Motivation: Seeking Destiny. Valeria feels everyone is destined for something, whether humble or great. She does not believe her destiny is in the confines of a temple so goes out in search of adventure, certain that when the time is right, destiny will reveal itself along her path along her travels.

Alignment: Neutral Good. Valeria leans to the side of doing what good she can in the world in her travels, but because she has no particular leaning towards Law or Chaos, she is easier to manipulate to tasks that are "for the greater good".

Cleric of the Sovereign Host: Being a cleric entails certain obligations in order to retain her devine spells and ablities. She must spend a short time praying in the morning when she is able to reaffirm her connection with the Host at minimum. Evil acts may se her stripped of her power entirely until she atones.

Background:
Charlotte was born to adventure. A highborn daughter of the house Orien, Charlotte was found to lack talent for anything save getting herself into childish misadventure. Every attempt to make her act like a proper young lady ended with young Charlotte sneaking off on another adventure.

Ultimately, her father found no other alternative but to send her to a temple of the Sovereign Host to temper her rebelliousness with discipline. Instead, she grew into womanhood learning skills that only further enabled her adventuring, becoming a skillful swordswoman and forging a strong link with the Soveriegn Host in the form of divine magics and powers granted her by the pantheon of good deities.

Clearly a chosen champion of good, the temple could do little but allow Charlotte to forge her own path, directed by the gods. Donning sacred treasures of the temple, Valeria set out to find her destiny by seeking out adventuring parties, exchanging her services as a cleric for allowing her to travel with them, seeing more and more of the world on her quest to face her destiny.

She earned the nickname "Charlotte of the Azure Blades" due to the twin sacred soulfire blades she wields and the proficiency with which she uses them. Despite this fledgling fame however, her family thinks her still training to be a priestess as she acts more gentle-natured when she visits them, but more so as not to worry them as she puts herself into potential danger with every adventuring group she travels with.
Last edited by EPIC on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Muzdum Firebelly

Post by Evolución » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 am

Name: Muzdum Firebelly Height 1,5 mts
Skin: Pale Weight 130 kg
Hair: Red Shape Dwarf
Eyes: Black Age: 123 years

Bio:
Muzdum's clan is famous, or infamous for their drinking habits and their inclination to violence, although good natured, cheerfully and enjoyable, even in a tavern brawl. Muzdum is a wandering drunk dwarf, always searching for a good beer and a good brawl. He enjoys fighting as much as he enjoys drinking. His bluntness and force of personality have made him walk safe from the strangest of situations.
Firebelly clan had many enemies, either outsiders or other dwarven clans, Firebelly clan members were always at war with other clans, orcs, you name the creature, they surely had picked up a fight with them. It was the only thing that kept them united. But eventually, wars end, rivals are defeated, or defeat you, and so happened with Firebelly clan. Most of the remnants of this clans are lone old soldiers, that spent their days in shady taverns, or as hired swords.

One of these old soldiers is now at this very Tavern, battering his fist in the table, laughing at his own jokes, as he orders another tankard of ale, to toss for his fallen comrades.

Complications
Drunk : Muzdum will drink until drunkenness at the slightness opportunity
Proud : Muzdum is a proud dwarf, anyone putting that in doubt will surely find its way to a fist.
Temper : Muzsum looses it quite easily

Abilities ( 48 pp)
Strength 7 , Stamina 7 , Agility 3 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 5 , Intellect 0 , Awareness 2 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 36 pp)
- Heavy fist counter attack ( Affliction 8 : 1: Vulnerable, Dazed. 2: Stunned VS Fort, Prone. Reaction. Extra condition, limited degree. Accurate 1 ) · 33 point/s
- Pummel ( AP: Linked effects: : 0 ) · 1 point/s
( Affliction 10 : 1: Vulnerable, Dazed. 2: Stunned, defenseless VS Fort. Extra condition, limited degree ) · 10 AP point/s
( Damage 3 : STR based, Multiattack 10, Secondary effect 10 ) · 23 AP point/s

- Dwarven physiology ( Immunity 2 : Disease, Poison ) · 2 point/s

Advantages ( 19 pp)
All out attack 1 , Chokehold 1 , Close attack 1 , Diehard 1 , Fast grab 1 , fearless 1 , Great endurance 1 , Imp. critical (Pummel), grab, hold, defense, disarm 5 , Instant up 1 , Interpose 1 , Move-by action 1 , Power attack 1 , Weapon bind 1 , Equipment 1 , Evasion 1.

Skills ( 6 pp)
Acrobatics 0 (+ 3 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 4 (+ 11 ), Expertise( Explosives ) 0 (+ 2 ), Insight 4 (+ 6 ), Treatment 0 (+ 0 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 0 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 4 (+ 6 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 0 (+ 3 ).

Offence
Initiative: 3
Pummel + 6 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Melee ( Multiattack, Secondary effect, applies affliction DC 18: 1: Vulnerable, Dazed. 2: Stunned, defenseless VS Fort. )
Heavy hand counter attack + 8 Attack for DC: 18 Range: Melee ( 1: Vulnerable, Dazed. 2: Stunned, Prone.VS Fort Reaction. )
Unnarmed + 6 Attack for DC: 23 Range: Melee (Applies grab)
Grab + 6 Attack for DC: 23 Range: Melee ( Applies suffocation )
Throw + 0 Attack for DC: 22 Range: Ranged

Defence ( 11 pp)
Parry: Rank ( 1 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6
Dodge: Rank ( 3 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6
Toughness: Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 3 )= 10
Fortitude: Rank ( 3 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Will: Rank ( 4 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 6

Equipment
Chain mmail 3 ep 0
Brass knuckles 1 ep 0

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

Multiattack and secondary effect? Seems a little on the overkill side. I'm assuming monk so that the multiattack makes any sort of sense (Flurry of blows), the secondary effect leaves me scratching my head. That's a hard one to justify.

Also, keep in mind without selective on your reaction attack, you cannot differentiate enemies and allies, and is rendered kind if pointless with the alternate effect doing basically the same thing, but with defensless instead of prone, considering you need to choose one or the other.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 am

EPIC wrote:Multiattack and secondary effect? Seems a little on the overkill side. I'm assuming monk so that the multiattack makes any sort of sense (Flurry of blows), the secondary effect leaves me scratching my head. That's a hard one to justify.

Also, keep in mind without selective on your reaction attack, you cannot differentiate enemies and allies, and is rendered kind if pointless with the alternate effect doing basically the same thing, but with defensless instead of prone, considering you need to choose one or the other.
Speaking of over kill/hard to justify, Leech Life on your swords? Triggered only when Hitting? Even if you break it down to "dealing damage" so it doesnt trigger when the resist toughness, that's still pretty crazy. You pretty much have Regeneration 10, healing 1 a round on average. And if you face off against some Minions, you could trigger every time you kill a minion. You kill 10 minions, you could go from "barely standing/almost dead" to "perfect health" in one round.

I really dont like that power, and really think it should be removed out right.
Last edited by Hound on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:05 am

Re-wrote Marcus' history. I was unsatisfied with what I wrote late last night, so now, fresh as a daisy, I created a second draft. I am happier with this version.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 am

You really shouldn't throw stones with a ln arrqy like yours. Also, look closer at the mechanics before you complain about them amd proclaim things like "it should be thrown out completely", when that's really not your call to make.

I said multiattack and secondary effect was somewhat overdone and had not been justified by anything descriptively, though alluded to a possibly explanation for at least the multiattack.

That having been said, the Heal on my swords is nowhere near as effective as you make it out because it's only two ranks meaning ai have to roll at least an 8, which give as 35% chance to fail. Given there are no cheesy limitations on the power to make it cheaper, that's a pretty fair percentage (unlike having two healing powers as alternate effects to save the cost of one extra, just saying).

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

My "point saving" was to match exsisting spells in D&D, but I can totally drop the ressurrect alternate, if that bothers you.

You're right. I am sorry. You have a 35% fail rate. I saw the 8 beside healing, before I saw the 2. So when I wrote the first post, I was thinking it was a 5% fail rate. Still, 35% is statistically in your favour. You have Multi-attack on the swords, which means you can hit multiple people, and you trigger on hitting, not dealing damage, this means you can "leech life" with out actually taking any life to leech.
My Characters

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am

It isn't a vampiric enchantment, but a fighting vigor. The heal has to do with refreshing the spirit and body, not leeching life out of enemies

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 am

I'm dropping this. Mark can decide what he likes and what he doesn't like.
My Characters

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Weyrd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 am

Here's a rough draft on my magic archer character. Let me know any suggestion or corrections that may be needed. Also considering moving some points around to give skill in technology and inventor advantage to give him ability to make "traps." Let me know what you think about that. Still working on complications and background, but included what his relationship to the king would be since that was mentioned as an important point to cover.

Warden Alistair Greenleaf

Abilities: 30pp
Str: 0
Sta: 2
Agl: 4
Dex: 6
Fgt: 0
Int: 0
Awe: 2
Pre: 1

Combat: (22pp)
Dodge: 6 + 4 = 10
Parry: 0 + 6 = 6
Tough: 2 + 2 + 2 = 6
Fort: 2 + 6 = 8
Will: 2 + 6 = 8

Skills: 26pp
Acrobatics: 4 + 6 = 10
Athletics: 0 + 8 = 8
Deception: 1 + 6 = 7
Expertise (Woodlands): 0 + 10 = 10
Expertise (Survival): 0 + 8 = 8
Insight: 2 + 8 = 10
Perception: 2 + 10 = 12
Persuasion: 1 + 4 = 5
Sleight of Hand: 6 + 2 = 8
Stealth: 4 + 6 = 10
Treatment: 0 + 6 = 6

Advantages: 19pp
Animal Empathy
Defensive Roll 2
Ranged Combat 2
Throwing Mastery 4
Improved Aim
Power attack
Hide in Plain Sight (Woodlands only)
Improved Disarm
Improved Initiative
Improved Smash
Favored Environment (Woodlands)
Evasion
Precise Attack
Uncanny Dodge

Powers: (23pp)
Eldritch Bow Array (Easily Removable) (26pp – 10 pp = 16pp)
Magic Arrow: Ranged Damage 8 (Ricochet 2, Split 1, Penetrating 4) (23pp)
AE- Pinning Shot: Ranged Affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited Degree, Alt Save: Dodge) (1pp)
AE – Heaven’s Volley: Ranged Area Damage 7 (Cylinder) (1pp)
AE - Self Shot: Teleport 3 (Extra: Change Velocity, Quirk: Ranged attack check required to reach intended destination. If failed then wind up in different spot) (1pp)

Keen Vision: Extended Vision, Distance Sense, Tracking (visual) 2, Rapid (5pp)

Chain Mail: Protection 2 (2pp)

Comlications:
TBD

Background:
TBD

Relationship to the King:
Steward/Warden of the main forest in his kingdom (keep it clear of bandits, ensure game isn't over hunted, etc.)

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Looks nice Weyrd. Nice and tight. The only thing I would change is the quirk on Self Shot. The one you have makes sense, but could be messy to deal with in practice (and essentially works the same as Check Required with a base DC of 11 with ranks availble equal to how much you oass the check by)

It would also make sense to make the quirk (or add a quirk if you prefer to keep the one there) to make it a line of effect teleport, unless you mean for it to be an actual ability to move through walls and such. If that's the case, then whatevs. I just pictured him firing himself from his bow :P

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am

So, I took some advice. Edited out barely showing nipples (put link to original artwork below picture). Made Force Field a Magical Robe with some impervious.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:27 am

Easily removeable robe? Well, I supposed based on it's design in the picture, one good yank would disarm her of it, lol. Maybe even provide a temporary complication, :lol:

But otherwise mechanically she looks good. :)

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Weyrd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 am

essentially works the same as Check Required with a base DC of 11 with ranks availble equal to how much you oass the check by
Yeah I was actually considering building it that way, but the only thing I didn't like about it was that when you fail the check the power doesn't work at all and I was going for more of a wind up in the wrong place type of thing. But I can see how that could be more of a hassle to determine/deal with than is necessary. I'd have no problem structuring it like that if Mark would prefer it that way.
It would also make sense to make the quirk (or add a quirk if you prefer to keep the one there) to make it a line of effect teleport, unless you mean for it to be an actual ability to move through walls and such. If that's the case, then whatevs. I just pictured him firing himself from his bow
Yeah I need to add that because that is what I envisioned. He basically fires a magically bolt of energy like normal, but his body turns into that energy and trails along behind it. So he wouldn't be able to move through walls.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

EPIC wrote:Easily removeable robe? Well, I supposed based on it's design in the picture, one good yank would disarm her of it, lol. Maybe even provide a temporary complication, :lol:

But otherwise mechanically she looks good. :)
She's a Telepath. If you rip it off there's an illusion of nothing being there (see, no nipples!) :P
RIP Angel 1989-2011