[2E] There's a Crisis in Nostalgia City! (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

[2E] There's a Crisis in Nostalgia City! (OOC)

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:10 am

This is a closed game; it is not open for general submissions.

Welcome to Nostalgia City where adventures from yore take place today! Before we get to gaming, I need to pop an antihistamine tablet because the dust on these old modules is killing me. Not that I remember them; I was a wee bairn at the time of their publication, but I rooted through the remnant bins of six gaming stores in four different cities to bring you these adventures!

:?: The first thing we need to decide on is tone. Are y'all looking for Roddenberry-esque naivete, or Abrams' lens-flary, Galaxy Quest throttle on the console? Either way it'll be four-color (non-lethal), but the former would be more generic Campaign City where the adventures more or less happen outside of history, and the latter happens in a more realistic take on the modern world, named "real" cities, more meta-y, etc. I mention Star Trek because I just saw ST2 last night and I can't stop laughing at the throttle on the console. LOL But seriously, tone is important and either way works for me.

:?: The second consideration is whether y'all would enjoy the modules as written ("just play the hits!") or if you want me to reboot it and blow up Vulcan (if anyone shouts "Spoiler!" I'm gonna stab you in the forearm with a mechanical pencil).

:?: I was thinking of making the combats more dynamic by having initiative re-rolled each round. To speed things up, I could roll Init for everyone. I've not seen too many people (if any) re-roll their Init.... It's one thing to wait for a player who needs to make a decision, but Init is almost always just a roll and waiting for that becomes tedious. It would keep things interesting because you wouldn't be at the bottom of the init order for the entire combat. Thoughts?

Here are the house rules we're playing with:

Character Creation

Powers are from Ultimate Power (takes precedence over core power rules). I am not a fan of Mecha & Manga (though the Last Stand Feat is acceptable).

Trade-Offs are capped at +/- 5. Impervious is capped at PL (10 ranks).

Devices that are Hard to Lose are worth a -0 Flaw (they are Complications); Easy to Lose Devices are worth a -1 Flaw.

Skills are capped at PL+10 (this is a PL 10 game, so +20 is the max, no matter how you get there).

The average of your Fort/Reflex/Will saves should be PL-2 (or 8 in this PL 10 game).

Containers and Arrays do not have to be built in five and two point increments, respectively. Devices (Containers by any other name) that are Easy To Lose receive a -1pp/5pp spent (round at 3).

The Action Flaw is removed and in its place is the Activation Drawback: -1pp for a Move action, -2pp for a Standard action.

Character Drawbacks should become Complications, e.g. blindness, vulnerability, etc.

I am not opposed to PL trade-off (PL 9/165 or PL 11/135) but ALL players must sign off on this.

Powers

Flight (Wings) is worth a -1 Limitation (not a -1 Drawback).

Healing only requires a Standard Action and just grants its ranks as a bonus (non-cumulative with CON bonus).

Regeneration is not allowed. Use Healing (Flaw: Personal) for 1pp/rank.

Combat

No lethal combat in this game. The damage conditions are:

Code: Select all

Miss   Condition
1-5     Bruised
6-10    Bruised + Dazed (lose your actions for one round, but retain your Defense)
11-15   Bruised + Dazed + Staggered (single Move or Standard action; Staggered twice results in Incapacitated)
16+     Incapacitated

I'm adding a Recover Action as a maneuver. It's a Standard action and you automatically recover from your worst condition. You may do this once per scene.

Evasion grants a +2 Reflex bonus, and a second rank grants a +5 toward reducing the effect of an area attack. It no longer negates all damage (a successful save halves area damage).

The Distract Feat only works once per opponent per combat.

The Fearless Feat protects against all uses of the Intimidate skill and the Fearsome Presence Feat, but not other fear-effects. Immunity (Fear Effects) is 5pp--this covers all descriptors.

Anyone can use Accurate/All-Out/Defensive/Power Attack up to +2 without a Feat. This does away with Aggressive/Defense stances.

Knockback is an additional option of a Critical Hit. It's not always advantageous to send your target flying; you choose. Knockback does not inflict any additional damage to the target, though it may break the scenery.

Falling damage is +1 per 20 ft. and capped at +10 / 200 ft.

:arrow: Campaign world background

Our cast:
Triceracop played by Kreuzritter
Beefeater played by Gilliam
Fireflash played by Arthur Eld
Miss Miracle played by Ysariel
Last edited by badpenny on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [2E] There's a Crisis in Nostalgia City! (OOC)

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:23 am

That's a lot of house rules BP. One question, doesn't capping the saves the way you have kind of nerf powerhouse characters? I mean toughness and fortitude saves are where those characters excel, allowing for interpose feats and the like and making them no more durable then your average caped crusader seems to play against type.

Just a thought.

Also, no "stunned" condition? That was one of the best things about the 2e damage progression. Staggered was a lethal damage progression condition and stunned...not so much.

Again, just wondering.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 am

Horsenhero wrote:That's a lot of house rules BP. One question, doesn't capping the saves the way you have kind of nerf powerhouse characters? I mean toughness and fortitude saves are where those characters excel, allowing for interpose feats and the like and making them no more durable then your average caped crusader seems to play against type.

You can have up to a +15 Toughness if you want. Your Fortitude can go there as well, it's just that the average has to come down to 8, so you'd take it out of Reflex and Will. Impervious is easy enough to get around with PL-near-matched combatants, so capping it at 10 is not a hard limit for me. If that's your main bread and butter, we can talk.

Also, no "stunned" condition? That was one of the best things about the 2e damage progression. Staggered was a lethal damage progression condition and stunned...not so much.

I really dislike "Stun timing." It's extremely meta and really savages Defense-shifted folks (who are already at a disadvantage).

Staggered was always part of non-lethal damage. Are you thinking of Disabled?

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:04 am

Frank "Triceracop" Meltzer

PL: 10 (150)

abilities: (24)
STR 36 DEX 16 CON 34 INT 10 WIS 14 CHA 12

Combat: (22)
+7 init, +7/5 ATK, +7 DEF (+1 dodge, +3 flat-footed)
+13 DMG (unarmed)

saves: (6)
TOU +13 FORT +13 REF +4 WILL +7

Skills (17/68)
bluff +6 (+7)
disable device +6 (+6)
gather info +6 (+7)
intimidate +8 (+9)
knowledge: current events +6 (+6)
knowledge: streetwise +6 (+6)
notice +8 (+10)
profession: police officer +6 (+6)
search +8 (+8)
sense motive +8 (+10)

feats (15)
all-out attack, atk spec: unarmed, benefit (police officer), chokehold, dodge, grappling finesse, improved grab, improved grapple, improved pin, improved initiative, interpose, move-by action, power attack, stunning attack, takedown attack, uncanny dodge (smell)

Powers (65)
Enhanced STR +20 (20)
Enhanced CON +20 (20)
immovable +2 (extra: unstoppable +1) (4)
leaping +4 (4)
speed +4 (4)
supersenses +3 (accurate extended smell) (3)
superstrength +5 (10)

complications
Freak cop: Frank is an obvious Super, turned into a humanoid triceratops
Love of My Life: Frank is utterly devoted to his wife Holly, not matter what comes between them.
Motivation - To Serve and Protect: Frank is a good policeman to his core, and will do what is right over what is procedure when push comes to shove

costs
abilities 24 + combat 22 + saves 7 + skills 17/68 + feats 16 + powers 64 = 150 pts

:arrow: Frank was a police officer who worked his way up from a beat in the worst part of the city to SWAT/riot control. In 2007, Frank's life changed forever when he was set up on a blind date with Holly Weiss. For him, it was love at first sight, but being an outspoken liberal, regarded him as a "cut of fascist flavored bacon" and it ended in disaster. Smitten and undaunted though, Frank kept courting the self-proclaimed hippie, and after 3 years of persistence wore through her distrust of "The Man", the two being wed in 2010.

Recently, the Meltzers transferred out to Campaign City in the hopes of raising a family, with plans to eventually move back, plans that didn't include his getting mutated in the line of duty, turned into a massive humanoid triceratops by a dinosaur-obsessed supervillain's 'gene bomb'. Because of this, Frank is currently suspended from active duty, but on the advice of Holly (herself a life-long superhero fangirl, and loving her husband no matter his form), Frank has chosen to join the city's newest hero team, so he can continue to fight the good fight.

:arrow: pre-game edit: juggled some points around to max out the fort save, give frank improved pin, and the benefit of being a campaign city police officer (he may be off the duty roster when the game starts but he's still a cop)
Last edited by Kreuzritter on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:15 am

as for the house rules, leave initiative where it is with the one roll at the start of combat.

otherwise... it really looks more like you want to run a 3rd ed game, badpenny

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:36 am

Kreuz, you can eliminate Diehard since there's no lethal combat. I get 15pp (59 spent) on your skills, so you have a 1/4 point remaining.

Uncanny Dodge is linked to a sense (which would you like?). Your F/R/W saves average to 9, instead of 8. And smell is already radius, so you can eliminate that.

Kreuzritter wrote:as for the house rules, leave initiative where it is with the one roll at the start of combat.

otherwise... it really looks more like you want to run a 3rd ed game, badpenny

One vote for standard init. Check.

As to the house rules, well, after playing 3e for the last two years, I've decided that what I really like best is MnM 2.5 :mrgreen: And a lot of what would make a v2.5 are some of the changes that went into 3e. So, this is my attempt at playtesting those changes. Hopefully they're not too onerous.

Triceracop

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +13 (16/36), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +12 (16/34), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +13, Fort: +13, Ref: +6, Will: +8

Skills: Bluff 5 (+6), Disable Device 6 (+6), Gather Information 5 (+6), Intimidate 7 (+8), Knowledge (current events) 6 (+6), Knowledge (streetwise) 6 (+6), Notice 6 (+8), Profession (Police Officer) 4 (+6), Search 8 (+8), Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization (Unarmed Attack), Chokehold, Diehard, Dodge Focus, Fast Overrun, Grappling Finesse, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge []

Powers:
Enhanced Constitution 18 (+18 CON) · 18pp
Enhanced Strength 20 (+20 STR) · 20pp
Immovable 1 (Resist Movement: +4, Resist Knockback: -1; Extras: Unstoppable) · 2pp
Leaping 4 (Jumping distance: 575/287/143) · 4pp
Protection 1 (+1 Toughness) · 1pp
Speed 4 (Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd) v 4pp
Super-Senses 3 (accurate: Smell, radius: Smell) · 3pp
Super-Strength 5 (Light: 19.6, Medium: 39.2, Heavy load: 58.9 tons) · 10pp

Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +5, Melee: +5, Grapple: +18/+23)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +7 (DC 28)

Defense: 17 (Flat-footed: 13), Knockback: -7

Initiative: +7

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 15 (59 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 62 + Combat 22 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Validation: Uncanny Dodge: Specify feat description
Last edited by badpenny on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 am

yeah, i'm not good at averages

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 am

The total of your F/R/W saves should come to 24.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 am

thank you, and changes made

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 am

Kreuz,

Skills: Bluff 5 (+6), Disable Device 6 (+6), Gather Information 6 (+7), Intimidate 8 (+9), Knowledge (current events) 6 (+6), Knowledge (streetwise) 6 (+6), Notice 8 (+10), Profession (Police Officer) 6 (+8), Search 8 (+8), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Profession is a Wisdom skill, so you get a +2. I get 17pp (67 spent), so you have a 1/4 point left to spend. Triceracop is great! Maybe he's on loan from the PD and can remain in uniform.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 am

well, that was my intent when I ran the original draft by you, but you asked me to drop the benefit (police officer) feat. now that that's out of the way, frank's totally getting it back with xp once the first adventure's done.

as for tone, i'm good all across the board, but leaning more towards the 'abrams' model (if only because we gamers are a snarky, self-aware bunch)

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 am

It only occured to me when I got his name. :) Otherwise you'd need a new pic and a new name if he was no longer on the force.... (kidding)

What did you put the quarter point into? I like to keep my Hero Lab file updated.

Okay, so to be clear, the Abrams model is a more realistic world. Real cities, rather than just [Campaign City]. It'll be set in Chicago and more or less be a modern age comic book series. It'll be a government-sponsored team and I'll only use the modules for inspiration.

The other choice is more for operating in [Campaign City], where the Crusaders already exist and you guys are auditioning for a new slot. This is the more four-color, arch-villain campaign, and more like what's published.

In either case, there will be time for personal character exploration (any you'd like to explore that are Complications, list 'em on your sheet with as much detail as you care for. The more hooks, the better they can be used against you, er, you know what I mean. :twisted:
Last edited by badpenny on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 am

I'd point out that I really dislike the self-aware kind of gaming. I find characters who spout nothing but pop culture references and sarcastic one-liners as annoying as I do actual people who talk like that. 4 color tone is one thing, but I prefer that to be from a kind of hopeful, continuous optimism on the heroes part more than intrinsic humor and silliness. The heroes should take themselves seriously, even if they are a little odd.

As for initiative, I'm fine with the GM rolling for us, but I'd rather stick with one roll.

Also, I know you did away with the Action Flaw, but what about the Action Extra?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 am

Well, standard init makes more sense to me.

As for gaming style, I am good with four color "violence" but I do like character drama. As many know, I got no problem running my character through the emotional wringer, as long as their is potential for growth - so that he ends the game stronger and better than he started.

Edit: And I agree with Arthur. Constant in character trope references and snappy one liners get old after the prologue.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:25 am

the quarter point was where it always was, in bluff. I had listed my skills by ranks bought, not their totals

also changed frank's background to say he's currently suspended from the force while his condition is looked at

Return to “M&M Game Room”