Crinosverse: Warehouse 23 (Relentless)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Crinosverse: Warehouse 23 (Relentless)

Post by Crinos »

Crinoverse Presents: Warehouse 23
Strange and Wonderful

I may not know art...
Secrets of the Viking Longboat
Relentless

Prologue:

"And going once... twice..." The Auctioneer brought his gavel down, "SOLD for five million to the gentleman from Pakistan."

As the parcel was move from the stage, the workers brought the next item over, a large and ornate looking bed frame.

"And our next item up for bid is this beautiful 17th century bed owned by Louis the 14th, lets start the bidding at one million dollars, do I hear two million?"

"How about nothing?"

A quiet murmur came from the crowd as one of the audience rose from their seat, it was a young girl, around 16, unremarkable save for the fact she was wearing an eye patch.

"I bid nothing. Cause I'm taking that bed frame." She said, skipping down the aisle.

"Young lady, we are attempting to conduct a serious auction, I must ask you to leave..."

The girl smiles, "Hmm, see, that's a problem. my friends may not like that."

Before the auctioneer could complain further, he felt a gun press against the back of his head. Behind him stood a grizzled old man, dressed in the disheveled garb of a sea captain. Aside him, a huge man with the physique of a Sumo Wrestler stood.

"Captain Shan, Yoshi," The girl said, "Get the bed frame. Kayle will be here any minute with our little surprise."

The pair nodded and grabbed the auctioneer, dragging him off. The girl took the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Bethany, and I am a member of the Chaos Insurgency. Now, this bed was indeed owned by Louis the 14th, what the auctioneer did NOT know was that it was carved from wood taken from the Greek island of Aeaea, for those of you who don't know the reference Aeaea was the home of Circe, the legendary Greek witch who turned men into pigs. Now, this bed frame has the ability to give the user dreams of incredible debauchery and hedomism, the downside being that the more you indulge in these fantasies in the dream world, the more animal like you become in the human world till you become an actual pig, which is why Louis the 14th stopped using it."

Bethany smiled, "But then, that hardly matters, I'm sure we can find a use for it."

At this exact moment, the back door crashed open, and a large crate, pushed by a large, dark skinned woman dressed as a lion tamer, came through.

"Ah, right on schedule Kayle." Beth said with a smile. "Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Kayle, she specializes in animal related artifacts, as well as strange and unusual animals, cryptids, and monsters."

"Alright I've had just about enough of this." One of the audience, fed up with this insanity, rose from his seat and took to the stage, "I don't know what you think this is, but this joke has gone on long enough."

Before the man could approach closer, Bethany raised her eyepatch, revealing the black and red eye underneath.

"Gaze into the eye of Vecna you pig." She said coldly.

Before the man could take another step, he fell over, stone dead, the crowd screamed out in fear, near panic.

"Alright, well, been fun," Beth said as she and the others moved to the back, "But we gotta run, oh, and if any of you survive what's in the crate, tell them boys at the Warehouse to enjoy what they have, as long as we let them keep it."

As the four members of the chaos insurgency exited with their ill gotten gains, the crate began to shake, as the crowd began to back away, the crate exploded, and what looked like flying jellyfish began to swarm out of the crate. The fear turned to straight out panic, which drove the Atmospheric Jellyfish into a blind frenzy.

There were no survivors, but the message was clear.

Outside Warehouse 23

Benny, Jazal, Rick, Ben, and Atlan, the five of you have arrived outside the Warehouse. Its a huge edifice, carved directly into a mountain in the middle of South Dakota. You were each hand picked to be new Warehouse agents.

The reason for your selection is due to a recent thwarted attempt by an insane alchemist named Paracelsus to take the Warehouse, and the increased activity of dangerous groups taking an interest in Artifacts. These factors have made the Reagents decide that more powerful agents were required to help protect the Warehouse.

As you amble outside, the door opens, and a young girl with a punk striped hair comes out.

"Hey. I'm Claudia." She says, "I guess you five are the last of the new blood to arrive. Welcome to the Warehouse.

Inside Warehouse 23

Selene. You suddenly wake up inside the warehouse, you are on a storage shelf alongside a stuffed armadillo and a tiger skin rug. Looking about, you seem to be surrounded by the preserved remains of animals: Turtle shells, scorpions suspended in amber, stuffed animals, and even a fleece made of gold hung from a tree branch.

As you look around, you hear footsteps coming, its two men. One of them is fairly normal looking, another is a man of middle eastern descent with mechanical arms and legs.

"So, is that the thing? Like the actual golden fleece?" the normal guy asks.

"Indeed it is Pete." The cyborg says, "Its been here since warehouse 8 I believe. And no you can't use it to help Myka."

"Aw come on Caine..."

"Don't come on me, you're in enough hot water for the Paracelsus thing already. You're lucky you got off as easy as you did. Besides, if the fleece is removed from the Warehouse the Greek Gods will..." Caine suddenly looks over to you. "Oh dear, it looks like one of the artifacts activated itself."
Last edited by Crinos on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Crinosverse: Warehouse 23 (Strange and Wonderful)

Post by Arthur Eld »

The plansewalker eyed up the other four people he had been brought in with. He senses-something about them. Magic, possibly, but not quite how he was used to it-although that seemed to be a theme since coming to this plane. Mana worked differently, some spell casters seemed to rely on magic without understanding the manipulation of mana and aether, and yet there were certain locations, leylines they were called, that thrummed with mana as rich and deep as any he had encountered among the myriad planes.

Ahead of him though, he could tell was a far more abundant repository of magic. He had heard wondrous things about this Warehouse and Jazal's mind was eager to begin studying them. "Greetings, Claudia. I am Jazal, and I am most looking forward to working here." He said, his etherium arm running across his chin softly, with currents of magic humming through it.
I'm not sure what kind of magic Jazal might pick up from the others-we've got a god, a demigod, and a dragon-blooded, I figure that qualifies as magic to some extent.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos »

You are definitely getting magic from the four of them. You are also sensing some immense power from the warehouse itself, and a little bit from Claudia as well.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido »

Atlan

Atlan holds his perfect posture, as he greets Claudia as he would a visiting dignitary. "Hello, Claudia. I am Atlan, it is a pleasure to meet you."
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Corebrute23 »

-15 minutes ago-

"Are you absolutely certain this is the right stop? I don't see anything for miles-" The door to the bus closed shut in Ben's face. The bus driver drove off, leaving Benedict glancing around confused. He looked down at a hastily scribbled map in his hand.

"This can't be the place. There's nothing for miles. It's literally the middle of nowhere!" At this point a small purple dog walks up towards him, curious. Ben looked around conspiratorially for any witnesses. He then turned towards the dog with malicious glee.

"Oooga Booga!" He said to the dog, as he did so, giant stone claws grew out of the ground around Ben. The dog barks in fear and hightails it out of there. Ben chuckles as the claws disappear. "Stupid dog." He then looked down at his map. "I'd say it's about-that a way."

Adopting a martial arts like stance, he quickly started sprinting, the ground propelling him forward at an incredible pace.

-Now-

At the location, and having dusted himself down, was staring in awe at the sight of the huge edifice. Well, he was staring mostly because of the awe. Partly it was because he felt unsure of how to react to the 4 individuals who were present.

Are they superheroes? Ex-agents like me? Hosts for parasitic aliens with an intention of ruling the world? He rubbed his head as if in pain. That's the last time I read one of the books on Daisy's book shelf. Seriously, why hasn't UNISON arrested Stephenie Meyer for her crimes against humanity?
Crinos wrote:
As you amble outside, the door opens, and a young girl with a punk striped hair comes out.

"Hey. I'm Claudia." She says, "I guess you five are the last of the new blood to arrive. Welcome to the Warehouse.
Ben tried to stand to attention as best as he could, but it was obvious the motion wasn't natural to him.

"He-hello Claudia. I'm Ben Zabo. Sorry for being late, but my bus dropped me in the middle of nowhere." A thought struck him as he looked at the edifice again. "I really hope I wasn't being literal just now." He said, half jokingly.
Jazal doesn't look human/normal right? Just checking to see if my character has any indication of how weird his new profession is going to be yet.
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld »

He looks like his picture-human, wearing unusual clothes and with a strange metal arm that looks more like part of his skeleton than a prosthesis.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Benny "New Yorky" Tyler
HP: 1 / LP: 5

Benny looked around, noting the mixed company. Weirdness was assured, with this job. "I'm Benny Tyler... so use Benny for me, as opposed to Ben." With a bit of a New York accent going on, for those who would recognize it.

Benny had his light luggage and personal effects in hand... but no transportation. His strange powers, metaman maybe - had made arriving very quick and without a vehicle. He just went down roads, and then walked the last part over the sands to the Warehouse itself.
Impeach the peach!

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman »

Rick Helms:
HP: 1

The car ride had been quiet, well at least it was probably supposed to be but to Rick it was irritating as after twenty minutes he was very tired of listening to the humming, clicking and hammer-like sounds that were coming from the engine. So he'd dug out the sleep mask and earplugs he'd started wearing recently so he could get something passing for normal sleep over the past few weeks.

He'd fallen asleep finally at some point but eventually the stopping of the car woke Rick up as the driver announced that they'd arrived at the location he was supposed to be dropped off at. Rick removed the mask and earplugs, grabbed his bag of personal effects, thanked the driver and climbed out of the car.

What he saw was a large wall with a normal sized door in the center of it that looked to be built into the side of a mountain.

"Guess this is the place." Rick said to himself as he noted the time, he was about twenty minutes early. He turned around to say something to his driver only to see that the man had already backed up, turned the car about and was heading back the way they driven.

A few miles away a bird chirped. "Shut up." Rick replied back to it.

As time ticked away Rick had noticed the arrival of the other four men, greeting each as they got close to where he was still waiting. Between the looks of some of them and some of their arrivals, he felt it was safe to say they were here for the same reasons he was. It was nice to know he wasn't going to be the only new guy.

Now he wished that damned bird would shut the hell up.

Suddenly there was a girl talking to them, he'd missed what she'd said. Probably introduced herself at least since the others were saying their names to her.

He nodded in greeting he said as he picked up his bag. "Rick Helms, nice to meet you." He glanced to each of the other four men. "All of you."
Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos »

Claudia smiles, "Alright, lets get started then."

She leads the five of you inside, through a large tunnel lined with explosives, onto a large balcony overlooking the warehouse.

"Welcome to Warehouse 23." She says, "Luckily its pretty quiet today so we can do the grand tour. There was a ping earlier but Artie and Jinxie are taking care of it."

She leads you down some stairs to the warehouse floor, "The Warehouse has existed... well, its always existed in some form I suppose, The current iteration was established in the late 1800's, taken over by Taurus after World War 2, we don't talk about those times, we broke away about two years ago with help from the Avengers. "

As you are led through the hallway, you noticed the shelves are lined with all manner of bric a brac, virtually anything you can imagine: Empty milk bottles, brooms, cars, couches, pens, whistles, anything.

Ben, as you are walking something in particular grabs your eye. Its a large statue of a dog, you can't place the breed, but it looks to be made of sudden obsidian. You get an eerie feeling from it.

As you walk past it, you suddenly hear a blood curdling howl which shakes the rafters, making you all nearly jump out of your skin.

Claudia looks straight at Ben. "Have any encounters with any dogs recently?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Selene

The Spirit of Intellect awoke slowly and groggily. What by Aristotle's Beard was that Purple goo? It had simply.... switched her off. Certainly an amalgam of ectoplasm infused with strait etheric plasma inundated with the essence of static. To her ever-present magical sight it was simply.... nothing, no, not nothing exactly, it was like a viral 'nothing', a 'nothing' that clung and infused and jolted you into a state of 'nothingness', in any event, it was to be avoided, at all costs. And possibly replicated in the future. Valuable knowledge like that can be traded.

Selene looked around her surroundings - shelves of boxes, most of which glowed with some form of dweomer or another - sometimes just the echo of human belief solidified by ritual sacrifices or hermetic chants or just the nearness of genius resonating thoughts so powerful they imprinted on surrounding focal objects. Genius or Madness, the terms were semantic and the difference, entirely human.

Should she flee? Take to the skies, try to find a window? She noted the nearly invisible black-thread stitched Runes of protection integrated into every feather on the raven's body were reactivating with her consciousness so surely she could survive a crash through glass.

But no, ultimately, she was a familiar. Summoned and Bound to this avian body to aid powerful beings in their quest for knowledge. In return, she shared in that knowledge, witnessed grand events, and otherwise had a grand time of it.

"Rawk, Nevermore," she said, because some protocols simply must be observed, then her tone switch to a posh British lilt "Pardon me gentlemen. How have I come to this place? I am known as Selene, at your service. Oh and, incidently, the Mayan atl-atl, third row from the bottom on that shelf there is feeding near critically from the Roman pilum next to it. Sympathetic resonances of death energies and all that. If that was the desired intention then, by all means..." She didn't judge and the resulting octarine cascade should be quite lovely.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos »

Caine looked over to the shelf. "Well what do you know? You're right."

"Um, why is the Raven talking?" Peter says.

"It was captured in the thirties." Caine says, "Under the ownership Evelyn Underhill. Some manner of magical familiar I believe. Not sure what reactivated it thought."

Selene, you can feel what reactivated you. Its a wizard, more powerful than any before whom you have allied with.

Jazal, you too feel it. A familiar seeking an owner.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Selene

"Ah, Mistress Underhill, she never did reconcile her Thaumaturgical Theorems with Peerson's Fifth Law of Syncratic CoLocation. What is the time period now?" The Raven asks. The taxidermied head cocks to the side.

"Ah, I am being summoned by a potential Master. If you'll excuse me, Pete, Robot-man-Caine."

The raven takes to wing and flies upwards looking for an egress.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld »

With the others (who Jazal is mostly ignoring, stretching out with his magical senses), Jazal suddenly stops in place. His etherium arm twitches once, aether arcing between the fingers.

"I sense something. A presence I've not felt since..." He broke off, the braids of his hair bouncing as he shook.

He looked to Claudia.

"There is a being here that I wish to meet as soon as possible."

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos »

Arthur Eld wrote:With the others (who Jazal is mostly ignoring, stretching out with his magical senses), Jazal suddenly stops in place. His etherium arm twitches once, aether arcing between the fingers.

"I sense something. A presence I've not felt since..." He broke off, the braids of his hair bouncing as he shook.

He looked to Claudia.

"There is a being here that I wish to meet as soon as possible."
"Um, sure." Claudia says, "Who is..."

At this point Selene flies over near Jazal.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Selene

Selene pauses over the shining pillar of magical energy with the odd exoskeletal arms. The Raven hovers a moment. Something that a normal raven is incapable of doing.

"Well, you're a bright one aren't you. Say, which is the way out? Unless.... Oh, It *is* you."

She lands on a nearby desk.

"Selene, Spirit of Intellect. Thaumaturgical repertoire of Knowledge, at your service."