Grimnoir Chronicles (recruiting finished)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Grimnoir Chronicles (recruiting finished)

Postby Corebrute23 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:34 pm

So this game is now recruiting. I am looking for 4 PL 8 characters, maybe 5 if there are a lot of really good ideas.

I am looking for players who can write their posts in the journal/letter format. While there will be a lot of action, I want characters who develop and change as the war goes on. If your character is not American, you will need a really good reason why your serving with Roosevelt in an American Brigade.

Here is the setting thread with a list of all the Canon actives. Player made ones, and any you discover in the game will be added here as well as more is learnt about the,
The only Canon Active Types I am banning are Lazarus, Nixies and Pale Horses.
-------------
The game is set in the Grimnoir Chronicles series of books, where thousands of people in the world develop a magical ability. The books are set in the 1930s, however I would set the game earlier-the First World War, from 1917-1919. Yeah I said 1919, this war didn't quite go the same as our history.

The players are all soldiers in the First Volunteer Brigade, and they will be involved in the greatest showing of Actives [term for superhumans] ability by fighting in the war-but the players won't make it out alive. The tale is told through their own journal entries, which are collected by the NPC Narrator who acts as the mouth piece, telling the story of what they did during the war.

The point I find most interesting in the books is that there are terms, usually slang, for the different powers. Gravity manipulators are called Heavys, Telekinetics are called Movers etc. It's a different feel than most super games, where each power is treated as unique-this is a world where people can have the same powers without feeling like rip offs of each others. The powers are less important than the people themselves.

I plan on writing up all the Active Types in the books up on a setting thread I will link to here. I would of course let people create new powers that weren't in the book, such as Plant Whisperer or Earth Controller. However I would also ask them to create a culture around the power, if it's not in the books.

Here is the template I would use:

Most frequently used Term: Heavy, Pale Horse, Ringer. The most common word used that an ordinary individual would recognize.
Alternate Terms: Whether it's Japanese, derogatory, scientific or even a word the culture made for themselves, such as Einsteins, put it here.

Passive version of power: Passives are not in control of their powers. They are either always on, or turn on at the worst times. It may be that a Passive is so common, that people are unaware this isn't all they can do [people are surprised at what an Active Heavy can do for example]. Alternately, Passives may actually be uncommon, due to dangerous powers or simple chance, such as the Pale Horse or Travellers [if you can't control your travel powers, your not likely to survive].

Actives: An Active can consciously control his ability, putting effort into it, and utilizing it in new ways. This is where the magic stop being 'neat' and start being 'super'. Describe the capabilities of your power. This is not a permanent-you might discover new ways to use it over the course of the game. But this is what you (or the general public/scientific community) believe is possible.

Physical Identification: A few Active groups have physical identifications that always comes with their powers, such as the Traveller's grey eyes. If there is a physical trait that is associated with your power, such as all Heavies being large, please list it-even if your PC doesn't have it.

Public Perception: What do most people think of your Active group? Do they love you, like they do Healers, since you can do no wrong? Do you have unjustified reputations as Thieves, cutthroats and peeping toms like Fades? Are you seen as just a bit slow, due to your power? How well known if your Active type? Are most unaware your type exists

Frequency: How common is your power? Is your group considered a Myth, like Justices? Or are you like the Torch, as common as white bread?
---------------------
Character creation and game-play information:
Mouths and most mental based Actives including Justices, are limited by the language barrier. If they don't speak the language, the victim cannot follow your command. You also can't read their minds, but you can get an idea on their emotions.

A potentially useful skill players will want to invest in, besides language, is expertise: Actives. Without it, you know the most common beliefs about well known Active Types (even if it's false preconceptions). Ranks allow you to know about more obscure types of actives and Magical theory, which can help explain unusual Active activity.

Also I will allow one player to buy the feat Benefit-Military rank, representing the fact your a Corporal, and thus leader of your 4 man band (the PCs). This also means your the first one the higher ups blame if something goes wrong, and responsible for your men. If no one buys the rank, there will be an NPC Sergeant.

Most powerful Actives have a sense tied into their powers. Really talented heavies can detect the world in terms of gravity and density, Beasties can detect living creatures, Menders see other humans like a constant x-ray with their potential for disease always on show etc. All types have the potential for some kind of sense, but most don't have the the magic, the training or the sensitivity to notice. You players are exemplary Actives-you can if you like add some kind of sense, which can become more potent with xp. For example, A Splasher might be able to detect bodies water, which develops into telling where people are, or even if it might rain soon.

Impervious will be done with the 2E rules, but the game itself will be 3E. However, the only characters allowed to have a full 8 ranks of Impervious are Massives. Brutes, Heavies and possibly player made actives may be allowed 4, which is enough to stop most WW1 gunfire. Your characters will be given weapons, so you don't need to buy equipment ranks for them. But you can buy them for additional items you might have, I will judge on a case by case basis if it makes sense to have that in the war.

The game itself aims to be a mini-series, telling 6 different events over the course of the two years the first Volunteer Brigade dealt with in the war. After that, it's done, but if it goes well I might do a pulp style sequel to the series set in the 30s like the books themselves.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask. I have not set a firm end date for recruitment, but it will probably be over before September.
Last edited by Corebrute23 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Grimnoir Chronicles Interest check

Postby Weyrd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Sounds like a really cool concept to me. Color me interested.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 pm

The tale is told through their own journal entries, which are collected by the NPC Narrator who acts as the mouth piece, telling the story of what they did during the war.

I may be interested. It's something that hasn't been done a million times before. I would like more information about the Journal entry aspect of it though.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:01 am

ClassDunce wrote:
The tale is told through their own journal entries, which are collected by the NPC Narrator who acts as the mouth piece, telling the story of what they did during the war.

I may be interested. It's something that hasn't been done a million times before. I would like more information about the Journal entry aspect of it though.

By Journal entries, I mean that the story will be told in the past. The GM posts will be from a failed novel from a man who serves with the PCs, trying to tell his experiences on the front line read by one of his descendants. The PCs posts will actually be written as if they are in diaries, or letters to loved ones of their time on the front line. For some reason the GMNPC collected all the letters and journals from the PCs after the war-either he couldn't find kin to give it to, or said kin returned it to him years later.

Here is an example of a GM post:

Chapter 3
September 12th 1917

It was warm that evening. I can barely remember the last time it was warm back home-I can usually only remember when it's cold and rainy. That's part of being British I guess- if the weather isn't worth moaning about, it ain't worth talking about.

But I remembered that day was sunny, because it was a day when it should have been raining. It was a day of such misery, God himself should have been compelled to say, 'it was a cold and stormy night'. Maybe a Weatherman was trying to lull us to lower our guard. Or maybe God just didn't want to spoil the surprise. The sick bastard.

I stood in the command HQ (basically a tent) with General Roosevelt, waiting with shaky knees for the men he had selected to arrive.
--------------------------------
Now here's an example of a possible PC post.

Dear Diary,

Whoa. What a day. You would not believe the kind of shit I had to deal with. If you thought last week was bad, this made them damn Zombies look like a couple of tipsy Micks*.

It all started as I got told to go to the Head Tent, when who do I see there? Fricking Theodore frickin Roosevelt. And some scrawny kid, but seriously T Roose himself!

I saluted immediately, tried to stuff in my shirt before he told me off. I must have looked like a right fool, but still it was Roosevelt!

"Sir-it's a pleasure sir!" I said, struggling to get my hand free from my trousers to offer a shake.
-------------------------------

I hope this helps show what I'm trying to accomplish here with the journal entries. I may throw in some foreshadowing in my GM posts, but if you want to do the same, please be vague. If I find something that doesn't really work or makes sense, or appears like your trying to predict the future, I may ask you to ammend your post. I will however try to be fair and flexible.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

This is certainly something different by all means. I like it. How would you feel about an Inuit water bender who is trying to find his missing brother? I'll give you a full sheet on it so you can judge it better.

Most frequently used Term: Water Bender, Water controller
Alternate term: Moon dancer, Water witch-warlock
Actives: Controlling the movement of water, either pure or in solutions. The mass of water affected depends on the power of the bender. Skilled benders may change water to its three states (gas, liquid and solid) or affect blood, thus healing or even controlling the movements of plants and animals, including humans. This particular form of bending is regarded as a taboo among most moon dancers, but highly priced in war times.

Physical Identification: Blue eyes and white hair is usually common among water benders.

Public Perception: The opinions are mixed. Since the variety of things a water bender can accomplish range from healing to outright mass control, public is reserved when encountering a water bender. They are regarded as loners, not because they are lone wolfs, but because they are usually expelled from their communities for fear to the bad side of their powers.

Frequency: Uncommon, their powers usually awake on isolated communities related to the moon and the sea on spiritual grounds, like different kind of tribes or monasteries most frequently.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 am

The PCs posts will actually be written as if they are in diaries, or letters to loved ones of their time on the front line.

This may be difficult to stick with if the PCs need to have conversations with each other. Depending on how many people you have in the game it could be difficult to keep track of multiple letter entries at a time. Might I suggest that each new scene be a letter from the perspective of a single PC (which changes with each scene.) The PC whose "letter" it in can provide more detailed post on his thoughts during the scene and the other PCs would post their actions as if another was viewing them, instead of from their own perspective. As we went through scenes, everyone would get a chance to be the "main" storyteller.

Just an idea.

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am

Evolución wrote:This is certainly something different by all means. I like it. How would you feel about an Inuit water bender who is trying to find his missing brother? I'll give you a full sheet on it so you can judge it better.

No need for sheets yet. I haven't worked out the PL limits yet, and this is still an interest thread. I haven't confirmed recruiting.

Also Inuits didn't really serve in the American Army. There were some who served with Canada in the 1st Newfoundland Regiment. However that can be handwaved, since this is an alternate history. What I want to know is-why would your brother be in Germany or Germany occupied France?

Evolución wrote:Most frequently used Term: Water Bender, Water controller
Alternate term: Moon dancer, Water witch-warlock

Gee I wonder where this idea came from, it's so original. :wink: .
I'd rather a simpler name. Most of the terms for Actives are one term, usually quite evocative. Like Icebox for ice controllers, Cackler for electricity manipulators or Heavy for gravity controller.

It should be something like 'Drip' or 'Splasher'. It's not what you call yourself, it's what the general public calls you. And the general public are a bit Active bigoted at the best of times. That's where Alternate names come in. Cacklers for example, call themselves Edisons as an alternate name after Thomas Edisons. The Japanese call Heavies 'Omasha'. Moon Dancer is a great alternate name by the way.

Evolución wrote:Actives: Controlling the movement of water, either pure or in solutions. The mass of water affected depends on the power of the bender. Skilled benders may change water to its three states (gas, liquid and solid) or affect blood, thus healing or even controlling the movements of plants and animals, including humans. This particular form of bending is regarded as a taboo among most moon dancers, but highly priced in war times.

Ooh. See the problem with this is your stepping on the toes of other active types, namely Beasties and Healers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing-Sullivan does it in the book, making himself denser with his gravity is something most Heavies can't.

However, I would rather you didn't start with these specialties but developed them over the course of the game. Blood Bending actually makes sense since most of the body is water, but it's more likely you will discover it during wartime than at home. I'd really like to see how blood bending and the demands of war affects your character's mindset. :twisted:

On a personal note though, I would rather you never developed healing, because the Healer Active type have a very niche role in the Grimnoir universe. If there was a type who could also heal in the Inuit tribes, Inuits would gain so much wealth from people begging to have access to this type of magic.

Evolución wrote:Physical Identification: Blue eyes and white hair is usually common among water benders.

This is good.
Evolución wrote:Public Perception: The opinions are mixed. Since the variety of things a water bender can accomplish range from healing to outright mass control, public is reserved when encountering a water bender. They are regarded as loners, not because they are lone wolfs, but because they are usually expelled from their communities for fear to the bad side of their powers.

Frequency: Uncommon, their powers usually awake on isolated communities related to the moon and the sea on spiritual grounds, like different kind of tribes or monasteries most frequently.

Since the frequency seems to be limited to isolated communities, are Moon Dancers actually known at all outside Inuit or Native American communities? Or are they mysterious, covered in myth, an Active Type most people don't believe in?

"Moon Dancers? Yeah they were in the wild west radio show remember. But it's all made up stuff, stories from the old west, or maybe just a really powerful Mouth [Mind controller, needs to speak]. Those guys are a menace. Stop talking to me about fairy tales and Pale Horses."

Weyrd wrote:
The PCs posts will actually be written as if they are in diaries, or letters to loved ones of their time on the front line.

This may be difficult to stick with if the PCs need to have conversations with each other. Depending on how many people you have in the game it could be difficult to keep track of multiple letter entries at a time. Might I suggest that each new scene be a letter from the perspective of a single PC (which changes with each scene.) The PC whose "letter" it in can provide more detailed post on his thoughts during the scene and the other PCs would post their actions as if another was viewing them, instead of from their own perspective. As we went through scenes, everyone would get a chance to be the "main" storyteller.

Just an idea.

It's a fair idea. However, I am not sure it will be as difficult to track thoughts as you believe it is. Not every post is the start and end of a letter or diary entry. Sometimes it will stop in the middle, then the next post carries it on after getting reactions.

Besides, the whole story is told the perspective of the GMNPC (who is only there as a narrative tool, not to overpower or rail road the others). The letters show the other PCs' opinions, dreams, and why they acted the way they did.

Here's how I view an interaction between PCs. I name them Jerry and Ben, because I really want ice cream right now.

GM
I stuck my head out from under the table once the gunfire stopped. The German Torch was against the wall, holding his elbow which had been shot. The kid, he couln't have been more than 16, was crying profuselly speaking quickly in German.

<"It hurts, please help it hurts."> He said. I shivered.
Despite seeing his terrifying power just a moment ago, this soldier was just a kid-he likely wouldn't have been able to enlist in the US. I wondered how the others would react to the sight of this. If they had more stomach for this than I.

Jerry
I held my gun at the dirty Hun, daring the crying SOB to make a move with his hands. I remember thinking, You just burned Sara alive, do you think I'm going to buy your crocodile tears?

"If those are prayers in German, your going to be very disapointed to find it's not the holy spirit that's about to enter your heart." I aimed my gun at said organ for emphasis.

Ben
I panted from the effort. The fight had taken alot out of me. I had never altered gravity on the fly so quickly beforehand. But Jerry's action forced me to move.

"Wait Jerry!" I said as I ran towards him. "You can't do this. Look at him." I raised my hand to point at the boy. "He's a kid Jerry. Probably about Sam's age." I looked imploring at him to stop.

Jerry
Ben's words were like a punch to the gut. "That was low Ben." I lowered my gun from the snivelling kid. "Don't you dare compare this piece of filth to my son."
-------------------------------
And so on. It works like a normal series of posts in another pbp except in the past. Not every post needs to begin with, 'dear diary'.

I hope this makes sense to you.

I have made the setting thread here for the list of Active Types. I'm writing them up as we speak.
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 am

Makes sense. Seems like it should work.

*Edit:
This site seems to explain the powers of most of the active types on the settings thread.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/110396/62396112/The-Basics-of-Grimnoir-Chronicles
Last edited by Weyrd on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

I am very intrigued by this idea. The format I think will take effort on everyone's parts, but thank you for illustrating how it can be done. If it gets complicated, however, the GM posts can still be in "diary format" while the PC posts can be presented normally. Like in a TV show or movie, the GM would be the narrator speaking over the flashback, but the underlying action is still shown as if it's happening in the moment.

I've already got a bunch of games going, but if this gets off the ground I may have to throw my hat into it. :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 am

Weyrd wrote:Makes sense. Seems like it should work.

*Edit:
This site seems to explain the powers of most of the active types on the settings thread.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/110396/62396112/The-Basics-of-Grimnoir-Chronicles

Thank you Weyrd. This makes it so much easier until I finish the setting thread.
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:30 am

I'd really like to see how blood bending and the demands of war affects your character's mindset.

I take it from this statement that the tone of the game will be (or can be) a bit darker. Highlighting the brutality of war and not necessarily the "heroics" of the PC characters.

Ooh. See the problem with this is your stepping on the toes of other active types, namely Beasties and Healers.

And Iceboxes.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:45 am

-It will come evident in the backstory, but put simply, he committed the tabu and was exiled by his papa. Seeking vengeance from his father he joined the other side.

-Oh, I took it from your Earth controller example. It could Splasher, I like it. Also I like avatar =P

-I was thinking on wound healing only, not more complex healing. But I don't mind ripping it off entirely. Ditto on develop them later.

-Yes, there are lots of other isolated communities that have also moon dancers, its not limited to inuits. People living in rain forests could also develop it, perhaps more related to plants and big water bodies? So I say covered in myth but considered a real deal.

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Weyrd wrote:
I'd really like to see how blood bending and the demands of war affects your character's mindset.

I take it from this statement that the tone of the game will be (or can be) a bit darker. Highlighting the brutality of war and not necessarily the "heroics" of the PC characters.

There are loads of opportunities for the PCs to be heroic. But it is a much darker grittier game as the war wears down on the heroes. When the war ends, people will change. But will it be for the better?
Weyrd wrote:
Ooh. See the problem with this is your stepping on the toes of other active types, namely Beasties and Healers.

And Iceboxes.

Less worried about that. Iceboxes are much better at their job of freezing people than he is, especially since he's got so many options to spread his xp rather than freezing.
Evolución wrote:-It will come evident in the backstory, but put simply, he committed the tabu and was exiled by his papa. Seeking vengeance from his father he joined the other side.

-Oh, I took it from your Earth controller example. It could Splasher, I like it. Also I like avatar =P

Who doesn't? :D

Evolución wrote:-Yes, there are lots of other isolated communities that have also moon dancers, its not limited to inuits. People living in rain forests could also develop it, perhaps more related to plants and big water bodies? So I say covered in myth but considered a real deal.

Makes sense actually. Especially since being able to control water would be far more useful in a small community rather than a first world nation. It might even be considered a 'primitive' type of magic, with iceboxes a more sophisticated version.
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Here's an active type I thought of. I wouldn't play it (especially since it's very close to what Evolucion might want to play,) but you could use it for a NPC active type.

Most frequently used Term: Bleeder
Alternate Terms: Hemo, Vamp

Passive version of power: Instant clotting (Regeneration), maybe limited instinctual hardening of blood to lessen impact of damage (Protection). Many die early due to self inflicted strokes/heart attacks.

Actives: More control over hardening of blood during impacts (higher protection rank), forming weapons out of blood (blood shards, knives, maybe even sharp whips.) Advanced users can harden the blood of others to paralyze or even suffocate or induce strokes/heart attacks.

Excessive use of power can lead to severe blood loss. Some Bleeders partake in drinking the blood of their enemies to replenish their own (this the alternate term of Vamp)

Physical Identification: Blood red eyes, often pale skinned due to blood loss.

Public Perception: Pretty negative thanks to gruesome nature of the power and the horrible practice of Vamps.

Frequency: Very rare. Most people consider them a myth that sprang from old stories of vampires.
Last edited by Weyrd on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ursinethemadbear
Zealot
Zealot

Postby ursinethemadbear » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I would definitely love this game. The Grimnoir Chronicles were excellent books.
Life is what happens while I am busy gaming.
I use DCA, unless I state otherwise, all my posts are for DCA. I assume that 3ed is the same, but might be wrong in specific areas.

Return to “M&M Game Room”