Gate City: Gritty Street Level Game 3E(Not recruiting)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Gate City: Gritty Street Level Game 3E(Not recruiting)

Postby Hound » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:46 pm

(Nothing below is Final, I am open to suggestions)

ALSO NOTE I AM RECRUITING BETWEEN 3 AND 7 HIGHLY ACTIVE USERS. Minimal 1 post per 48 hours on average.

So I watched Watchmen lately and it gave me all kinds of ideas. I have an idea for combining it with the Plot of PIxar's Incredibles

I want to run a game in a fictional city, dunno a name for it... taking suggestions.

Crunchy:
I want the Powerlevel to be 7. I have a few house rules I want to "steal" from other GM's which include but are not limtied to:

Try and keep this game street level, and confined to a single city. Other teams will be in other cities.

1. Dexterity also provides a bonus to Initiative which can be stacked with Agility or Speed Of Thought

2. Each rank of Presence taken, also offers either 1 point for Willpower, or 1 Social Advantage like Leadership, Contacts, Connections, Teamwork, etc... (make sure to clearly mark this stuff)

3. Skills provide 3 ranks, for 1 Point exept for Combat Skills.

4. Each Rank of Wealth Provides 1 Free Rank of Equipment Limited to Secret Base(ala batcave)

5. Maximum 5 Regeneration, Regneration costs 2 per rank instead of 1.

6. Power attack/All out attack combo can only be used once per combat. To use it more than once, you will need to treat it as using extra effort, which means either spending a hero point or becoming fatigued, which is cumulative. Meaning ever "stack" of fatigue then makes you exhausted, then incapacitated.

7. While I allow some custom advantages/feats/features, I do not allow the "Follow Up" where you get a second attack after a critical hit. Additionally, normal attacks are capped at "Improved Critical 2" and if you want a higher crit ratem there needs to be a trade off, like being distracted, or what ever, to show you going all out.

8. 1 Point of Languages gets you 2(instead of 1), 2 Points get you 4, 3 gets you 8, beyond this you might as well just take the power Comprehend.

9. I dislike Impervious and Penetrating, and can never find a set of rules that makes me happy, so for now, let's just not use either.

Basic Story:
I want some of he heroes to be "Legacy" characters. Meaning either you are the son/daughter/adopted child, or you were mentored, or you are simply trying to pay homage to your hero.

AGAIN, only some. If everyone were the same, that would be boring. But I want atleast a few of you to have a connection to the past.

The idea is that there was a team in the Golden era, they were national heroes, on every news paper, comics, toys, the works. But something happened. Exactly what will be explored in the game and be based heaily on what kind of characters I get, but the team disbanded. Other hero teams around the country followed suit.

Special Cop teams were created, name pending, which picked up the slack from the dissappearence of all heroes

30 or 40 years later, when the world has forgotten heroes, criminals that police special teams can't handle anymore have been surfacing. In nearly every major city, people are afraid to leave their homes after dark.

Children, old side kicks, people who were mentored or inspired by old heroes, and some just with a strong sense of justice have stepped forward to fight the crime, but it won't be easy. It will be bloody, it will be hard, and people will die...

Powers:
Powers are primarily Mutations, science or tech based, but there are rare instances of Magic casters, magic artifacts, and even possible alien tech appearing.

Powers are rare, but lately those born with mutant powers are increasing, this gene is almost always detected at child birth during mandatory blood checks. These people often go to special schools where they can learn to control their powers. Not everyone goes there mind you, and the vast majority of mutants powers are simply physical enhancement. Stronger,faster, elevated senses, faster healing. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering. Of course there are exceptions.

That said there are only two schools for powered individuals in North america, and attendence isn't mandatory, only power registration. (But not everyone is registered)

However this birth increase does not explain the increase in "super" crime. The majority of them appear to be genetically enhanced.

So. Someone is out there genetically enhanceing people to be strong enough to beat the cops. Heroes are needed again, but the game won't be so straight forward and simple.

Tone:
The game will be dark. Attacks will be lethal unless specifically stated/contructed. People will die. I will never, ever, EVER go into detail or role play for dark dark things like Torture or Rape, but they be alluded to.

I will of couse keep this game legal for this board, but don't expect this to be a jolly 4 color romp.

Ideas, thoughts, concerns, interest, other?

Please post completed character sheets here

You may change your character as often as you like until recruiting ends, however only post once, and only post your character in that thread.

It will eventually become our OOC, and I want all the heroes to be the first page(or two, depending on applications)

So until then, continue to use this thread to ask questions, and voice concerns.
Last edited by Hound on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Grim/Dark Street Level Game(Interest)

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm interested. :)

I'm thinking of a street magician, one who can pull the rabbit out of a hat, or hammers or smoke, or anything out of that or pockets, bags, etc. Regardless of whether it fits or not. Conjuring, you know?

Mine would be Legacy, I just need to figure out the reasons.
Impeach the peach!

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Also interested. I was thinking something along the lines of this:

A recently graduated defense attorney that is forced into a life of being a vampire; however, something in his blood turned him into a dhampir instead. He is trying to get a grip on this forced change on himself. He was even told by the very vampire that bit him that he would become the next great vampire lord, commanding the monsters and phantoms that roam the land.

Any thoughts?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:26 pm

I love joss whedon's angel but I hate twilight.... I only watch true blood forthe nudity and to see how wacky they can make it. Careful how you do a vampire

A conjuring magician would be cool.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm

This looks interesting... for the "golden age" heroes, are they from an existing comics world or invented on the fly to fill the gaps?

For instance, does the character who is essentially the Superman legacy (not what I was personally aiming for, I play enough paragons on the boards !) get to name this world's Superman?

One of the things I liked about both the Incredibles and Watchmen was that the Heroes that Went Before were there, everyone would know who they were but the current generation was not in their shadows (story wise) at all...

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Bladewind wrote:This looks interesting... for the "golden age" heroes, are they from an existing comics world or invented on the fly to fill the gaps?

For instance, does the character who is essentially the Superman legacy (not what I was personally aiming for, I play enough paragons on the boards !) get to name this world's Superman?

One of the things I liked about both the Incredibles and Watchmen was that the Heroes that Went Before were there, everyone would know who they were but the current generation was not in their shadows (story wise) at all...

Most of the pre-exsisting characters will be parodies. Considering the powerlevel Superman does not exsist.

It would be more like Black Canary, libtery bell, Johnny Quick, Doctor Mid-nite, Sandman, Starman, etc... etc...

also just because you are an homage to another hero...

Say there was an Owl Man in the 1940's, you make a guy named "Night Stalker" because Owl man was your herom, you fight like him, but arn't the same.
My Characters

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Its a massive change of tone from most of the games I play, but I like the idea. Maybe even a Sandman type character, or a scaled down Doc Clockwork.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:41 pm

@Sand man

Both ideas sound good.

How about my little house rules, do those seem good? or too much?
My Characters

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 am

I'm interested, I'll have to see what kind of ideas I come up with.

The houserules sound good to me, although I'm not the best person to ask about game-balance and rules.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 am

I have a street-level Mutant character with advanced Tech-enhancement who happens to be a legacy and was originally thought up for a darker style. The only thing that doesn't fit is that he's pl 10, but I can make a younger/depowered version easily.

It would seem that your idea is calling me out, thus I shall be presenting OPTIC.

Basically a mutant with lots of eye-based powers, and a few minor device enhancements (A visor that further enhances his visual powers, a protective suit, etc).

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:39 am

I also wanted to say I love the presence house-rule in particular.

Also a question - would a third generation mutant be acceptable? Basic backstory would be that the initial 'special cops' were a pair of mutants, they had a child who had mutant powers but didn't really do TOO much with them, instead building a tech empire, and then his daughter (Teen/early 20s now) is the current mutant generation who starts getting back into crime fighting?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 am

I'd have to put a character together with the rules to see what I thought, but they seem to mitigate the PL 7 quite well.

What I was considering pitching was a sort of Batman/Owlman/Nightwing type legacy. I intend, if the PP permit, to actually make him a meta though. So the idea of Spidey mashed with Nightwing in terms of powers versus skill set...

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 am

I like the house rules.

I might try a psychic? Perhaps something similar to prof X or otherwise.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

If people want to make a few builds following these rules, then we'll have a look at them, and see how they work. If rules need further tweaking, we can do that.

All the submitted ideas could work. =)
My Characters

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am

I have an idea for a poison user. I don't know if it would be internally (mutant) or externally (just a poison using mercenary). Either way I have a snake theme going on in my head.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Return to “M&M Game Room”