Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

DCA Product question

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

DCA Product question

Postby Foreshadow » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 pm

I know you can only do 4 books but will the Universe book for the game include a map of Gotham and Metropolis sort of like the two page spread for Freedom City. If not can you guys legally put out a separate little pdf sort of like the Freedom City Atlas where you stick maps for places in DC Universe, like Gotham. It gives you more room for stuff like that and you might be able to include a printable version that uses up four pages we can print and then stick together to make a larger more wall sized map if we want. Just ideas. One of the things I liked about the old DC rpg was the fact I found a Batman sourcebook with the bat devices and batcave, the manor, etc. or if it were a Marvel game you'd get the FF HQ or X-Men mansion. I would think things like Astro Lab maps would be useful for most of us.

So a map pack pdf would be nice and would not break the license that you have would it JonL?

Just curious if even having hope for these is something worth wondering about. Could you release a pdf like this in conjunction with the DC Universe book? Or will the DC Universe have plenty of room to include stuff or something like it in the book itself, or possibly fold up maps included that you get shrink wrapped in the book.

I'm sort of looking for a JonL response on this one but I'm sure many would like to know the answer so if it is not secret please respond. If you can do this I am guessing it will turn out very nice and be a much loved addition to this game.
Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Re: DCA Product question

Postby JonL » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 pm

I doubt DC even has a map of Gotham or Metropolis (or any of their fictional cities) made up. So, the likelihood of us being able to put out a map similar to the Freedom City maps and Atlases is, unfortunately, way beyond the realm of possibility. Sorry.

And, as a separate "map pack" it wouldn't be allowed under our license. We're able to do four books and that's it. (Again, at least that's the case right now.)

Sorry to dash your hopes.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby daniel_ream » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:11 am

JonL wrote:I doubt DC even has a map of Gotham or Metropolis (or any of their fictional cities) made up.

Gotham was mapped and detailed in at least three DC Heroes RPG supplements (Batman RPG, Night in Gotham, and the Atlas of the DC Universe). Metropolis is detailed but not mapped in some of the DC Heroes RPG books, but they've done maps of it over the years. Here's a recent one.
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.
daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Davies » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:59 am

Unfortunately, the map in those products (the one used by Alan Moore for his "Swamp Thing invades Gotham" story, which he generously allowed Mayfair to use) has been supplanted by different ones. If you can find a copy of the novelization of No Mans Land, it includes the map that the writers and editors used for that storyline.

Chris Davies.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp
Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Sidious » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:11 am

JonL wrote:I doubt DC even has a map of Gotham or Metropolis (or any of their fictional cities) made up. So, the likelihood of us being able to put out a map similar to the Freedom City maps and Atlases is, unfortunately, way beyond the realm of possibility. Sorry.

And, as a separate "map pack" it wouldn't be allowed under our license. We're able to do four books and that's it. (Again, at least that's the case right now.)

Sorry to dash your hopes.

Actually John back in the Mayfair DC game there was a source book called "Atlas of the DC Universe". It had Maps of Gotham and Metropolis as well as other places in the DCU.

I believe you can find it on Ebay or certain other places now.

It's a handy resource showing where Gotham is (New Jersey) and Metropolis (Delaware, IIRC). as well as Keystone and Midway cities and central city. Not to mention the Vegan system and other places. Incredibly handy if you ask me.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.
Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby DesertGhost » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:29 am

Just wait until DC Universe Online comes out and purchase the game manual. It's bound to have maps of the playing areas, which Gotham and Metropolis are a part of. Probably not completely thorough, to be sure, but it will at least have all of the important landmarks in there.
DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby CENTINULL » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:33 am

Google is your friend

From the Batman Begins Movie

Gotham City Rail Lines

Chris Roberson has a site with some great information on Gotham City
CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby bloodshadows » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:42 am

There have been maps of Gotham in a few places, if you can still find them.

The one I would most suggest is the "Night in Gotham" supplement for DC Heroes. It had not only a map, but a complete adventure generator for Gotham. I still use it for my games. I just did a quick search on Ebay and found a number of copies for dirt cheap.

The Batman RPG off-shoot of DC Heroes had a basic map in it.

Back in April of 2000, DC Comics put out a Secret Files & Origins comic on Gotham CIty that has a nice map and up-close details of some elements.
Mike Dukes
bloodshadows
Disciple
Disciple

Postby JonL » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:18 am

Wow, those maps are cool. Too bad they're from the movies and not the comics.

When I was thinking "detailed," those maps, and the maps we have of all the streets in Freedom City, are what I was thinking. Not a hand-drawn image of the city's buildings.

Also, when I say I doubt DC would want to publish such a map, it doesn't mean I don't want to publish one, it means they probably won't have one that will be "correct." The writers, artists, and editors just can't be constrained like that and I doubt they'd look at it anyway.

If they have some good maps, however, we'll ask for them.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
That's all I got.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby daniel_ream » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 pm

JonL wrote:Wow, those maps are cool. Too bad they're from the movies and not the comics.

I'm not sure how that matters, to be honest. All the Gotham maps from the DC Heroes RPG are different, and Metropolis has the layout, location, and character that the writer needs it to have for any given story (it's been placed in New York, Delaware, the West Coast, and Kansas at various points in the comics continuity).

DC clearly doesn't care too much about iron-clad geographical continuity, so any map is going to be as good as any other, so long as it evokes the feel of the place.
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.
daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby JonL » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:22 pm

It's a licensing matter.

We have a license for the DC Comics universe, not the movies. Big difference int he world of licensing.

Getting maps into our books may be more difficult than you can imagine, but if we can do them, we'll see what we can do.

I just want to be clear that this is not a promise. I highly doubt we'll be able to include any sort of map, but I'd love to be wrong.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
That's all I got.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby Foreshadow » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Thank you VERY MUCH for the quick and honest response JonL. I won't be disappointed if that is the situation GR has.

I see CENTINULL provided some very useful links plus I have my older DC rpg product supplements like the Batman one with the stuff they created and I think that's fine and all I really need. I was just curious what GR might plan in this area.

I love that map from the Batman Begins movie. Great map!

Wow, that map has many similar elements to Freedom City Steve. Both are cities with rivers flowing into the sea/ocean and have little sections. I think both are awesome.

I think if you used Metropolis and Gotham it would be like New York/Freedom City. At least, that's a possibility.

Thanks everyone for the great information and replies (and links!)
Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby dartnet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Form the DC Comics Database...

Official Name
City of Gotham
Aliases
Gotham Town (18th century); The Dark-Deco State; Gotham; Nieuw Rotterdam (original Dutch name); Fort Adolphus

Location Details
Universe
Earth-Two, Earth-One, New Earth, Earth-2 , Generations, Burtonverse , Super Friends , Birds of Prey (TV Series)

Galaxy
Milky Way

Star System
Sol

Planet
Earth

Country
United States of America

State
New Jersey

Locale
Gotham County

Characteristics
Dimensions
846.9 km² (327 sq mi) (divided among six islands)

Population
(2000 census)

Pre-No Man's Land: 8,168,564
Post-No Man's Land: 2,722,851

First appearance

Detective Comics #27
(May, 1939)

Source

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_City
dartnet
Collaborator
Collaborator