The Cat's Claws

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Jaldidog
Groupie
Groupie

The Cat's Claws

Postby Jaldidog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 am

I'm just looking at the heroes handbook (and indeed H&V1) that Catwoman has an attack bonus of +13 for her claws. I can't get to this figure without factoring in her unarmed skill of +3.

Is it just the "done thing" that any weapon you have "strapped" to you (as opposed to having to grip it) can take advantage of the unarmed combat skill? I'd never really though about it before but now I'm curious as to how people view it.

I'm guessing it's not errata or it would have been corrected in H&V1

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Cat's Claws

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:44 am

Jaldidog wrote:I'm guessing it's not errata or it would have been corrected in H&V1

There are lots of errors in DCA that were not caught before they were copied into H&V. It is clearly Errata as Close Combat: Unarmed does not include weapons. You should post that to the Errata forum.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Jaldidog
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jaldidog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:36 am

Yay! My first errata! :D

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 am

I dunno, I would allow it in a game. I mean, technically Black Mamba's right, but the way i see it Catwoman's claws are basically like brass knuckles or something like that. (Truthfully I'm not too familiar with her using them). Still, to me its a question of descriptors. She's still using her hands to attack in the same way she would an unarmed attack, right?

Honestly, though its kind of a moot point. You could just give Catwoman Fighting 13 and one rank of Close combat (bullwhip), which is essentially what she has now, and she'd function much the way she's written.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 am

There are a couple of 3E characters from the FC Universe who have a Feature which allows them to use their Claws with Close Combat: Unarmed Skill. At best Catwoman should probably have that Feature. Of course it only costs 1 point and you can buy 3 Ranks of Claws for 1.5 pts - or just remove the Unarmed Skill and buy 3 more ranks of Close Attack for the 1.5 pts. :)
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Return to “DC Adventures”