I think this is an awesome outline to hang a campaign off of.
Alan Moore late 80s proposal for a Ragnarok of the DC Universe.
- Time travelers from the future (30 to 50 years from now) foretell of the doom of all superheroes to their modern day counterparts
- In the future, the world goes to hell and the only thing holding it together is the rule of the superheroes. No more governments, humanity is under a tyranny of superbeings.
- Superheroes have organized themselves into eight ruling Houses:
House of Steel: Superman/Wonder Woman and their progeny
House of Thunder: Captain Marvel and his family
House of Titans: Teen Titans
House of Mystery: wizardy/sorcery type characters - Zantana, the Demon, Deadman
House of Justice: second-tier Justice League characters like Aqualad and Blue Beetle
House of Secrets: the last remaining super-villians
House of Tomorrow: time-traveling exiles stuck in the future
House of Lanterns: Alien heroes (except Superman) like Green Lantern, and Hawkman and woman, the Green Martians, camped out in Phobos/Deimos
- A host of unaligned heroes living in a massive barrio in Metropolis/Gotham, who are the real heroes of Moore's story especially John Constantine
- A segment of "elemental" heroes who have vanished. These are Batman, The Shadow, Doc Savage and Tarzan, and arrive at the end
- When goverments disintegrated, the heroes vanquished the alien heroes from Earth and got rid of most of the super-villians
- A war ensues when the House of Steel and House of Thunder attempt to join their houses by marriage. Houses of Titans, Justice, Secrets attempt to thwart this but ends up with the annihilation of all Houses except Superman/Captain Marvel
- Marvel's actually a masquerading Martian Manhunter and is killed by Superman, but not until the alien heroes (Lanterns) invade, and destroy Superman
- Constantine has somehow gotten an anti-matter universe to invade the alien homeworlds, diverting the invasion and saving humanity. Thus begins an age of enlightened humanity
I'm not a huge comics nerd, so as far as DC (or Marvel) continuity goes, I'm behind the curve compared to my players. Help here would be super-awesome.
Here's some things I plan on doing with this:
1. I wanna shoehorn in the Marvel Universe into this. I know this is a DC board, but I'm really sold on this idea of mashing it all together. Maybe the big Apocalypse that begins the Earth's decline to be an actual quantum/parallel universe collision between the Marvel & DC Universe.
2. So, then what Houses do the Marvel heroes join? Or do they form their own Houses? How does the addition of the Marvel heroes mutate this future history, while keeping the broad strokes the same?
3. I wanna set my campaign in the current day. I want this apocalypse to hang over the entire campaign's head. The beginning hook will likely be time-travelers (the PCs 30 years older?) trying to negate this bleak future. Who fights against this? How do the super-villians re-act (especially since a huge chunk of them will face a "final solution" in the near future)? Who are the PCs going to support?
Thoughts? What would you do with this?