Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Crinoverse 2 (End of Part 2)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (Vigilantes International)

Postby Yeoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 am

Kreuzritter wrote:a lot of the stuff I brought into the crinoverse was taken from stuff in my failed homebrew...

Heck, so was Mega and Quinn.

Megan's core concept actually predates the first time I used her in Cri's first campaign, although the original concept was the deadpan goth girl with the Captain Marvel-esque transformation to upbeat superwarrior, via the magic word "Funderful." And she was, in turn, a very small part of a much larger setting that evolved over ten years or so. Though I've more or less abondoned that and she the last remaining part of it.

Still, her, Lisa, Maxwell, Sarah and The Amazing hat are a small linked group I imported, so I could never hold it against anyone.

too bad yeo beat me to the punch regarding macross

Sorry, merging the original, Frontier, Robotech and the Blackhawks just came to me, and I've been stockpiling stuff to show up in the cosmic campaign for the last six months or so. A lot of the guys you met during the Matrix Quest? Early bird cameos.
Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 am

Kreuzritter wrote:a lot of the stuff I brought into the crinoverse was taken from stuff in my failed homebrew...

Heck, so was Mega and Quinn.

Megan's core concept actually predates the first time I used her in Cri's first campaign, although the original concept was the deadpan goth girl with the Captain Marvel-esque transformation to upbeat superwarrior, via the magic word "Funderful." And she was, in turn, a very small part of a much larger setting that evolved over ten years or so. Though I've more or less abondoned that and she the last remaining part of it.

Still, her, Lisa, Maxwell, Sarah and The Amazing hat are a small linked group I imported, so I could never hold it against anyone.

too bad yeo beat me to the punch regarding macross

Sorry, merging the original, Frontier, Robotech and the Blackhawks just came to me, and I've been stockpiling stuff to show up in the cosmic campaign for the last six months or so. A lot of the guys you met during the Matrix Quest? Early bird cameos.
Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Leliel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Finally back!

(Abyssal Intrusions, Part 2)

Dark Angel Aphasia (Intrusion): It is sometimes said that the Abyss is unspeakable, indescribable. That may be true or not, depending on the Greater Abyssal Entity in question, but in the case of this Abyss-born memetic disease, it is almost humorously literal. Dark Angel Aphasia, also known as contagious global aphasia, causes the carrier in question to simultaneously develop spontaneous insights about the Abyss and its relationship to the Tellurian while, as the name suggests, becoming increasingly aphasic-which, for non-doctors, means "unable to communicate". In the case of angel aphasics, it goes both ways-a sufferer increasingly cannot understand or make themselves understood as the disease progresses. Unfortunately, they can communicate enough in early stages for their writings and speech to serve as a vector for the Intrusion...and curing it requires exposure.

Dark Angel Aphasia begins its "life" cycle when a person reads or listens to the semi-garbled wisdom on the Abyss that an early-stage aphasic constantly spouts as part of the diseases "shedding" phase. While this isn't (usually) enough for the toxic meme to take a foothold in the mind, it does enough to induce a moderate obsession in the prospective carrier, with finding more aphasia-born knowledge, often from the same carrier. While they can be turned away, the initial infection is subtle enough that often, even people who know of Dark Angel Aphasia's existence can be caught off guard long enough for the full infection to take root. Once that occurs, the carrier often has a dream involving the titular Dark Angel, described as a beautiful being made of the night sky (these are never nightmares, by the way). After the dream occurs, the carrier begins to have the first insights, and the disease prompts them to speak and write about said insights, all of which serves as a vector. The disease progresses fairly quickly, with either writing or speech becoming incomprehensible after about one week, the other a week after that (assuming, that for some reason, the progression isn't delayed). Once both avenues of normal communication are knocked out, even telepathy is lost in a sort of "thought scramble" that allows the aphasic to act normally except for the lack of any communication whatsoever despite being apparently insane to psionic scrutiny (though, at least the aphasic ceases to be a vector for the meme at this stage-can't cut with no knife). Within four or five days, the aphasic spontaneously falls unconscious, at which point one of three things happen. 75% of the time, the carrier's soul, mind, and memories simply vanish and go to an unknown fate-the body left behind is good as a meat puppet or creating a new mind in, but little else. 12%, not even the body is left-as soon as nobody is watching them, all animals in the vicinity are blinded and all mechanical recordings are lost for a half-second, and when vision comes back, the carrier is simply gone. For the lucky remainder, they simply wake up, completely cured...and with complete amnesia from the time of the infection to the recovery, and nothing can bring those memories back.

Preventing full infection is easy if you catch it in time-simply isolate the prospective carrier from aphasia-infected communications for three days, at which point it evaporates and the person comes to their senses. So is it with any aphasia-induced writings or recordings-they aren't any more resilient for the meme they contain. Actually curing the full infection is more psychological than medical-the carrier must be made to focus on the Tellurian rather than the Abyss. This can be augmented through mental powers, but ultimately, a team of professional shrinks or at least socially adept individuals are recommended (technically, one could do it, but the words of the infected are a vector, and one has to actually talk to an aphasic for this to work..). Of course, one could simply erase the memory of the meme, but the actual Abyssal connection isn't cured-it's easy to become infected again for a forcefully cured aphasic. And all this assumes the aphasic is still capable of communication-at the final stages, all one can do is pray.

It should also be noted that many Scelesti view the dark angel as the avatar of an Annaku, and thus when they get their hands on a vector for Dark Angel Aphasia, spread it as far and wide as they feel safe doing, then use the victims as prophets to learn more of the bleak cosmos they worship. Leaving aside the Wicked, there is no shortage of desperate and/or greedy individuals who wish to have Abyssal knowledge...or warm bodies.

Electric Animator (Gulmoth): Perhaps the only Abyssal manifestation not called by darker events, an Electric Animator, also known as Living Lighting, is a sentient electrical field that manifests during extremely powerful thunderstorms, in particular when ball lighting manifests. Since they need electricity to sustain their Intrusions, most don't last very long after the storm clears, but occasionally, an Animator will be lucky enough to appear near a power source, usually a building connected to a power grid. It's there that the Electric Animator gets its name, as the entity is quite intelligent and spends a few days examining and playing with any devices the power source is linked to, causing some rather annoying but utterly inconsequential phenomenon such as static or lights flickering. Once the Animator gets the hang of controlling the machines, it begins to work towards its own alien goals, causing many effects similar to a haunting-the static on a television begins to resemble coherent patterns that change when the Animator is watching someone, strange voices speaking arcane syllables come over a radio, mechanical arms begin to move like they're dancing. Thankfully, seemingly keeping with the fact the Gulmoth was called by random chance, the Animator mostly minds its own business, being creepy but not really aggressive.

The problem is that while Electric Animators aren't out for Tellurian blood, they are also some of the most alien of an already alien realm-while apparently sapient, Animators have such a divergent form of intellect that they honestly don't recognize that corporeal beings are something other than dumb beasts. Thus, physical sapients are mentally classified as Scenery, Potential Threats, and Dangers, with it being extremely easy to change classes from the former to the latter. Worse, an Animator cannot be made to recognize this-nothing, not even divine intervention, has managed to create coherent communication with one, and what does come across has a tendency to briefly disrupt the Animator's field, quickly putting the would-be ambassador in the Threat category. Beyond all that, an Animator is still a Gulmoth, and it still works towards the fortunes of the Abyss-it may take years, but eventually, the Animator will do something that helps the Abyss in some way, whether it be summoning another Gulmoth, awakening an Acamoth, or helping a Sclestus find an obscure and powerful bit of lore.

Getting rid of an Electric Animator requires starving it-without power, the matrix that makes an Animator's form will dissipate, and it will be banished back to the Abyss. Easier said than done. An Animator can survive for fifteen minutes without power, and it is fully aware of any attempt to cut off its food source. What's more, the thing can travel along power grids-so long as it conducts electricity, the Animator can use it as a medium to travel to a new food source, or power it to somehow reclaim the old one. Thankfully, actually powering a device without a power source eats up a lot of the Animator's reserves, and it can only do so for three minutes at max before it disrupts the matrix and it is banished. It can also only move as fast as a running human, so knocking off small area's power grid usually works...assuming that's actually feasible, and that the Animator hasn't possessed a power plant or somewhere with a good generator. If all else fails, a powerful electromagnetic pulse directly disrupts the matrix, as well as makes most electrical equipment irreparably damaged. Thus, one has to ask whether the banishment of a fairly benign if annoying and often paranoid entity is really worth the lawsuits.

(More to come.....)
Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:Bay City

This all sounds really cool, Kreuz, even if I'm not familiar with Champions at all.

Been thinking about potential character concepts, I kind of want to play a Neku Sakuraba-esque psychic, with a wide-ranging power set, kind of like Alice, from SAS.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Been thinking about potential character concepts, I kind of want to play a Neku Sakuraba-esque psychic, with a wide-ranging power set, kind of like Alice, from SAS.

If I've got time for another game when this hits, and depending on how the other thread ends up, I've honestly been considering picking up Rachel as she would be currently. Now lacking Eternal Hope and in her early 40's.
Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 am

Arthur Eld wrote:
Kreuzritter wrote:Bay City

This all sounds really cool, Kreuz, even if I'm not familiar with Champions at all.

Been thinking about potential character concepts, I kind of want to play a Neku Sakuraba-esque psychic, with a wide-ranging power set, kind of like Alice, from SAS.

well, bay city's based on the ill-fated "New Millenium" era that preceded champions 5th ed, so there were only 3 sourcebooks published (core, Bay City, alliances), and most of the npc's detailed within are already accounted for, so i've got my work cut out for me
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:25 am

Kreuzritter wrote:well, bay city's based on the ill-fated "New Millenium" era that preceded champions 5th ed, so there were only 3 sourcebooks published (core, Bay City, alliances), and most of the npc's detailed within are already accounted for, so i've got my work cut out for me

Ah, yes, the ill-fated attempt to use the Fusion rules. Remember it... poorly.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 am

anyway, to avoid the mess that was the Avengers Academy pre-rush, the recruitment for Bay City won't be first come, first served
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm

And now Crinos has just worked in Brave.

Incidently Cri: have you checked out the new How To Train Your Dragon TV series?
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:And now Crinos has just worked in Brave.

Incidently Cri: have you checked out the new How To Train Your Dragon TV series?

I have.

I'm not sure what to do with it though: Part of me wants it to exist in the past, and have its descendants and their non sapient dragon breeds show up in the modern age, part of me wants the Burp to be a hidden village where Hiccup and the others show up, another part of me wants it to be an alternate reality visited by the Alterniteens.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 pm

i'll forward a vote for Imageria
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Notable Heroes & villains of Bay City

heroes

Gatekeeper - Bay City's most beloved hero, the dimension-striding sorceror has been burning the candle at both ends dealing with the rise in crime, The Pit, and his duties across the myriad dimensions

The Corsairs - a hero team in only the loosest sense, the Corsairs are more like a frat house or street gang than actual superheroes, whose violent attitudes and self-absorption has only grown without the Sentinels to keep them in check. Most recently, they've claimed the headquarters of their late rivals as their own personal clubhouse, and the only thing that's kept them from getting a well-deserved beatdown is that they haven't truly crossed the line... yet.

Quantum - An agent of AEGIS, JoAnne 'Jo' Amos was among the many whose lives were forever changed by the Wildstrike, but unlike most retained her humanity when she gained the power to manipulate quantum energies. fast-tricked to acting as liason to the Bay city heroic Community, Quantum is a staunch advocate of the hero act and has little tolerance for rogue vigilantes, much less the Tomorrow Society

Shadowbeast - Kirk Macintyre was a cop over the edge, whose loose cannon attitude and psychopathy got him pulled from the thin blue line. It was a creature not of this reality, a symbiotic creature in need of a host, , drawn to kirk's need to punish the wicked. together, they have become Shadowbeast, a supernatural predator in the urban jungle, meting out lethal justice to urban filth, and fighting the equally supernatural monsters and horrors that stalk Bay City

Speedster - a long-time hero to the bay city area, Speedster is an old-fashioned hero who's signature blue-streaked 'trail' isn't as often seen these days. mostly because in his secret identity as Gerald Spence, he's about to start running for District attornety, further complicating his upcoming wedding to longtime fiancee, Jenni Dawson

Villains

Fauxbat - Sometime back, Foxbat had himself cloned for one of his so-called Master Plans. the plan fell through, and the unstable clone was presumed destroyed in the ensuing chaos. Months later, Fauxbat resurfaced, his instability having manifested with a superhuman physique and cartoon-like immortality. unfortunately, Fauxbat is still as insane as ever.

Lo Pan - An ancient chinese sorceror, Lo Pan was cursed by both the gods and first Emperor of China to become as a living ghost, and has sinced served the Iron Khan for centuries as emmissary and agent. in 1986, Lo Pan was fulfilling his curse and regained mortal flesh, only to be killed minutes later. but, because the ritual was incomplete, Lo Pan rose from his grave a ghost once more, and after decades of regaining his lost power, is poised to resume his reign of terror over bay city's mystic community.

Powerjack - remains a free man despite his escape from the cooler during the breakout, having 'turned himself in' while 'apprehending' other cooler escapee's and then used his vast wealth to bribe the hell out of the judge and Jury while his legal team (courtesy of Cabot, Cunningham & Crowley) worked literal black magic to win his case.

Psion - a gigantic humanoid mass of pure telekinetic force, Psion is by all appearances a mindless, rampaging monster, with no rhyme or reason to his destructive sprees, only that he appears out of nowhere, smashes everything in sight, then vanishes into thin air.

The Scions of Caine - The resident Metaman supremacist group, The Scions are also a cult, that beleive that while Metamen are not gods, they should be treated as such. Unlike the Pantheon, the Scions also promise "apotheosis", granting superpowers to favored nat servants by unknown means

Steel Serpent - Beleived to be the head of VIPER's operations in Bay City, little is known about the Steel Serpent other than a samurai motif to his custom suit of Armor
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:Shadowbeast - Kirk Macintyre was a cop over the edge, whose loose cannon attitude and psychopathy got him pulled from the thin blue line. It was a creature not of this reality, a symbiotic creature in need of a host, , drawn to kirk's need to punish the wicked. together, they have become Shadowbeast, a supernatural predator in the urban jungle, meting out lethal justice to urban filth, and fighting the equally supernatural monsters and horrors that stalk Bay City

Just a suggestion? If you ever need an identity for the ancient, quasi-demonic thing of pure vengeance? The Summoning Dark.
Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Okay, it has Lo Pan. I have to get in on this game.

Cue the music.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Crinos wrote:I'm not sure what to do with it though: Part of me wants it to exist in the past, and have its descendants and their non sapient dragon breeds show up in the modern age, part of me wants the Burp to be a hidden village where Hiccup and the others show up, another part of me wants it to be an alternate reality visited by the Alterniteens.

Unfortunately for the Hidden Village idea the series has shown that they have some contact with the outside world.
Kreuzritter wrote:i'll forward a vote for Imageria

Somehow that feels a bit simplistic.

If you feel like you want to use multiple aspects try figuring out a way to combine them: maybe Berk and its neighboring islands sit on a twisted piece of time that lets it connect to both the past and the present, or random piece of dimensional fabric that's been caught between two worlds. In both these cases you can have the location be accessible from its "normal" frame -- the past or the alternate reality -- but also secretly accessible from Earth-409 Now -- thus making it "hidden" -- giving a bonus that the region becomes desirable for anyone who wants to cross time/dimensions without the hassle of technology or magic.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Settings