The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Daibhid C
Groupie
Groupie

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Daibhid C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 pm

greycrusader wrote: Not to mention the continuity issues with making Bruce Wayne 28 years old with a 10-12 year old son in Damien, as well as four different Robins in a seven year superhero career, and making Catgirl the age of a college student.
I was very amused to note that Batman and Robin #0, which opens with Damien's birth, is the only zero issue I read that doesn't start with a caption reading "X years ago"...
(Speaking of which, does anyone but me wonder how Batman Incorporated fit with the New 52 Batman, given Morrison mostly just entirely ignored the whole reboot?)
The smart thing would have been to just say Batman Inc was entirely set before Flashpoint. Instead, they made a point of having the characters all react to Damian's death, meaning that Morrison's last storyline is set immediately after Death of the Family, which left Team Gotham all resentful and distrusting of Batman. Something there isn't the slightest trace of in Leviathan.

Daibhid C
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Daibhid C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Lots of comments when it's done, greycrusader!

Also, I've formally been accepted for not only my first urban fantasy novel but also another two thereafter.

:mrgreen:
Congratulations!

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:10 pm

The Thunderbolts of Earth-777, Part II:

The Thunderbolts enjoyed a run of success and acclaim, such as when they freed a group of young people who had been captured and experimented upon by Dr. Achilles Milo; one of these developed full-fledged superpowers of heightened speed, agility, and bio-electricty, abilities which she used to aid the Thunderbolts in defeating Dr. Milo's genetically-enhanced minions. Adopting the codename "Juice", she joined the team as a junior member, utterly unaware of the team's true nature. She would soon prove a good influence for several of the others, including Star Sapphire and Barrage, helping turn them toward the side of heroism. The waning enthusiasm for villainy did not escape the notice of the Key, however.

The Thunderbolts racked up victories against such opponents as the Anti-Metal Men (reconstructed members of the Gas Gang, Plastic Patrol, and other android foes of the Metal Men) and The Demolition Team. The first real loss for the group came with the apparent death of Lightwave, but they soon found their teammate's consciousness had been transferred to a semi-solid energy form, a solid-light hologram. They continued on even after the JLA and other heroes returned from their sojourn in an alternate reality-until the Key, annoyed with their lack of commitment, outed the team's true identity on live television, turning them into fugitives. With little choice, they followed the Key in his master plan: rebuilding the long-destroyed JLA satellite and using it to broadcast a psycho-stimulating signal to the entire population of Earth. By doing so, the Key hoped to exponentially expand his own intellect by siphoning off the accumulated psychic energies of all humanity. The plan went awry when he ordered Gemstone/Star Sapphire to kill Juice; all the others save Lightwave rebelled, and aided the Justice League and Titans in disrupting the plot and driving the Key into exile once more.

This began the Thunderbolt's run as legitimate heroes, though they were still outlaws. Their adventures included being transported across space by the Zamorans (who put Deborah Darnell on trial), a running battle with a renegade faction of Project CADMUS (which turned out to be the same team which backed Dr. Milo's illegal human experiments), and a continual attempt to avoid the authorities. Their most persistent foes were a new Secret Society of Super-Villains, led by a mysterious woman calling herself The Queen Bee (neither the alien Zazzala nor the South American villainess); at one point they were rescued from the SSSV by Harley Quinn, the Joker's "Special Friend". They were stunned when "Harley" was revealed as…The Harlequin, Duela Dent! As a figure who had operated on the wrong side of the law before joining the Titans, Duela recognized kindred spirits in the Thunderbolts, and set out to be the motivating force they needed to stay on the side of angels, just as Dick Grayson had been for her. More, Duela also needed another chance, after overcoming issues with mental illness and addiction to exotic drugs that had caused considerable weight gain and premature aging. She proved a capable leader, and became a best friend and eventual lover to Star Sapphire.

In the following years, the Thunderbolts freed many victims from the Freak Factory, which had been mutating scores of human beings for their own purposes, breeding super-soliders, monsters, and brutish slaves; one such they encountered became an ally, the African-American teenager codenamed Mortar. The boy served the Freak Factory only because his father was among their ranks, and eventually rebelled against the criminal acts he was being commanded to perform. The Thunderbolts discovered Mortar's powers were the result of a genetic graft from Matt Hagen, AKA Clayface-and Juice's meta-human traits came from Superman's foe, Livewire; whomever was backing the Freak Factory had high-level access to criminals imprisoned in super-penitentiaries. Despite their triumphs against the Freak Factory, they were ultimately unsuccessfully in proving the ties to LuthorCorp which they always seemed on the verge of uncovering. Lex himself remained untouchable by the law, as he always had been.

The team also battled the V-Battalion, a team of Golden Age heroes and their legacies who targeted the Thunderbolts because of the Key's impersonation of Americommano. The teams eventually parted on an uneasy truce, though not exactly on friendly terms. They defeated Dr. Polaris after he had seized control over an entire city, defeated a pro to-OMAC unit inadvertently unleashed by Amanda Waller, and even had adventures on the same parallel Earth where the JLA had previously been trapped. Eventually, various losses and personal strains caused the members to mostly go their separate ways, though some years later a mostly different group of Thunderbolts would arise, this time with government sanction for their efforts to transition from outlaws to heroes. This incarnation eventually came to an end as well, after an excursion through both time and space. This last "ex-villain" version of the Thunderbolts consisted of Tala the Queen of Black Magic (a Zatanna foe), the Floronic Man, Merlyn the Archer, IBAC, Star Sapphire, Mr. I.Q., the Ghost (Captain Atom's enemy), Stompa (a Female Fury), and The Thinker (Clifford Carmichael, a Firestorm opponent). Yet another team took on the name after that, this time acting as part of Task Force X (under CHECKMATE supervision), with a membership of heroes notably lacking in codes against killing or a reluctance to inflict "acceptable losses" among civilians.

All my best.

(And still hoping someone might take a crack at a Marvel villain version of the Secret Six).
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:41 am

Voltron64 wrote:
Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote: Should I mention I'd put Franklin Richards as just starting to hit puberty? :mrgreen:
Presumably, he was a member of the Power Pack for most of this.
I am just worried about how this will affect the usage of his powers since he's gonna start thinking about girls the vast majority of the time from now on. :lol:

(Not helping the fact are all the super-heroines his family knows.) :wink:
Sue:
"Franklin, honey, I don't mind you asking to have a water gun war event as the main event of the party for your birthday this year, but I know you must have some friends your own age... I mean this guest list is... Well, let's see...

She-Hulk,
Carol Danvers,
Janet Van Dyne,
Crystal,
Storm,
Jean Gray,
Dazzler,
Black Widow,
Diamondback,
And Lorelai?

That seems a bit odd, don't you think? I don't care if Uncle Johnny and Uncle Ben both said it was, and I quote, the best idea for a party ever..."
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

mirilion
Groupie
Groupie

Post by mirilion » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 am

Must not imagine Shulkie and Danvers mud-wrestling... must... not... HNNNGGG

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:05 am

My dear Charles, congratulations and best wishes to you on the happy news; may this be the beginning of great and good things for you! :D

(Please also accept my best wishes for the health of Mrs Phipps and for your own; I trust that you both remain well or are at least getting better?). :)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:05 am

Grey Crusader, good work on those Thunderbolts! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:18 am

DCU-Marvel Universe Story Idea:

Secret War: Part Deux

The last time a superhero team was sent in to attempt to take out Doctor Doom it failed. Not only did it fail but it caused an international incident. It humiliated SHIELD and Nick Fury, since then SHIELD has undergone a serious refit and the new (temporary) Director of SHIELD one Amanda Waller, and her subordinate Maria Hill, are aiming to do the job that Fury couldn't.

The two have put together a new Suicide Squad for the task.

Deathstroke - A mercenary for hire and an Agent of Shield.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 1#p1387511

His job is to act as the handler for the team, he is the only one without a failsafe that ensures compliance. He also holds the trigger for the nanite bombs in the other members of the suicide squad.

Bane - The muscle of the group.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 5#p1390715

Since his upgrade by the Power Broker Bane's twenty five ton strength will make him an asset.

Frank Castle - Weapons expert.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 6#p1388366

Since his resurrection Frank relapsed into his own line of work. Eventually this lead him to a cozy padded room at Black Gate, the Suicide Squad is offering to let him go if he helps with one more job.

The Leader - Tactician and strategist.

The Leader's job is to analyze the Latvarian Embassy's defenses and find a weakness that the Suicide Squad can exploit.

Smuggler - Transportation

Smuggler's job will be to aid the team in the insertion and extraction after the deed has been done.

--- The Plan ---

Assassinate Doctor Doom at the Latvarian Embassy in New York City.

The members of the Suicide Squad will not be captured. There are two fail-safe devices in place should a Suicide Squad member be captured. The first is a protocol which will cause the Suicide Squad member to suffer a severe neural shock that will erase the Squaddie's memories, this will leave the Squad member with the mental faculties of an infant.

Presumably SHIELD has the technology to reverse this. The plan is to recover the incapacitated member and then re-integrate them into the Suicide Squad project. This is the better option in the case of a capture.

The second fail-safe, if the mind wipe does not work, or if it is somehow disabled, is the nano-bombs. These bombs will detonate inside the Squaddie's skull. This will cause tremendous damage to the Squaddie's brain, killing the Squad member instantly.

The Leader estimates that there is a weakness in the Latvarian Embassy's defense grid that has been overlooked. There is a power fluctuation that occurs in the power grid every 72 hours, 16 minutes, and 14 seconds. This causes a one second window of opportunity to bypass the defenses that prohibit teleporatation into the Latvarian Embassy.

His plan is to send in Smuggler with a package. The package in this case being a special "bomb" that needs to be inserted into the Latvarian Embassy's computer system. The "bomb" is a powerful computer virus that is designed to corrupt the target recognition systems on the Embassy's defense grid, causing them to attack any and all targets. The "bomb" also infects any Doombots connected to the wireless network and does the same, but in addition to that it corrupts the Doombot's visual recognition software and also erases the Doombot's language protocols and causes a hardware failure in the Doombot's wireless interface cards.

The "bomb" effectively turns all of the defenses on, in full panic mode, attacking any and all targets, as well as rendering all of the Doombots unable to respond to voice commands or further computer commands. The Doombots will attack each other, the defenses, Doctor Doom himself, as well as anyone else inside the compound. This is designed to cause confusion and panic as well as to weaken Doctor Doom himself.

After that occurs the "bomb" explodes, destroying the proof of it being inserted as well as the computer that was used to insert the code. Smuggler will have exactly one second to insert the USB drive and teleport out. The Suicide Squad is well aware that there is little to no chance of succeeding in this, and it is highly likely that the blast will take him out as well. They don't call it a Suicide Squad for nothing after all.

After that the Squad will attempt a breach of the compound utilizing heavy ordinance. They will attempt to make their way to Doctor Doom and terminate him.

Unfortunately there is a problem.

After the Squad breached the walls and entered, Doom managed to retreat to a sealed room. Here he has managed to send out a distress call to the United States Department of Defense. Doom insists that it is the responsibility for the US to deal with these interlopers on the Latvarian Embassy and threatens that if there is no response that Doom will declare war against the United States of America.

The player characters have been contacted by the DOD, and have been asked to aid in defending the Latvarian Embassy against this attack which could easily result in an international incident. The PC's will have to enter this deathtrap and face off against this current Suicide Squad in an attempt to rescue Doctor Doom and prevent war with Latvaria.

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Did... I kill the thread? *looks up*

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm

hypervirtue wrote:Did... I kill the thread? *looks up*
We're slaw-jawed at your awesome. :wink:
Impeach the peach!

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by MightyDavidson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm

hypervirtue wrote:Did... I kill the thread? *looks up*
Unlikely. It goes quiet from time to time.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:36 pm

I'll offer a scenario if I can think of a good one.
Impeach the peach!

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 pm

The U.S. government responds by assigning the "anti-terrorist" mission to a group of sanctioned heroes, tasked with preventing the nation from facing diplomatic embarrassment and potential scandal. But unfortunately, these these "heroes" are not the Avengers or even the Heroes For Hire, but the current iteration of the Thunderbolts. These federally sponsored Thunderbolts are given orders to eliminate the Suicide Squad members and rescue the civilian hostages in the Latverian embassy-AND to make sure Victor Von Doom is killed in the process.

This version of the Thunderbolts consists of:

Agent Blackrock: The latest host to the alien Blackrock orb is Steve Lombard, ex-marine, sports reporter, and boorish would-be romantic rival to Superman's alter-ego, Clark Kent. His spine damaged due to a paragliding accident, he was recruited into a Special Black Ops unit where he was granted the power-gem, a fragment of the original Blackrock stone. Lombard has super-strength, durability, energy-draining spikes, and wingless flight, making him the most versatile member of the team.

Catwoman: Selina Kyle agreed to work with the most recent Thunderbolts in exchange all current warrants being vacated, a hefty mission fee, and because she knows someone has to be on the inside to report this insanity to Batman. She doesn't like any of the others except Harley, and doesn't trust a one of them. Her deal calls on Catwoman to do what she does best-figure out how to beat security, obtain highly sensitive information in a clandestine manner, and figure out getaway plans. Catwoman doesn't do "wet work" with the rest of the Thunderbolts, but isn't adverse to "pointing the trigger" at particularly deserving targets.

The General: Wade Eiling, former Air Force general in charge of the Captain Atom project, now in the body of a behemoth, nigh-impervious android. Still a skilled strategist, despite having suffered minor brain damage prior to his mentality being downloaded to the construct.

Harley Quinn: The Gotham Girl is the wild card of the team, her obsession with the murderous "Mr. J" has apparently passed, but she remains manic and is more than slightly delusional at times; this has occasionally proved useful, as her erratic mental state makes Harley Quinn difficult for telepaths to "read" and mind-controllers to affect. As a Thunderbolt, the US government has outfitted her with hi-tech versions of her trademark gimmicks, and supplied a watered-down version of the Super-Solider serum (the botanical treatments given Harley by ex-girlfriend Poison Ivy having since been purged from her system).

Peacemaker: The identity of the man under the helmet is unknown, but this Peacemaker wields the same set of lethal combat skills and cutting edge weaponry as his predecessors. An expert in the areas of counter-terrorism, small-unit tactics, and reconnaissance.

Hope that might inspire others, as I haven't figured out how the mission actually plays out. Still hoping someone might respond to my earlier Thunderbolts as DC characters posts, and maybe suggest a Marvel version of The Secret Six (I do see the Constrictor in the Catman role, and an Alpha Primitive in the role of the late, lamented Parademon).

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Awesome stuff, greycrusader!

:mrgreen:

Great work!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 am

Indeed, from one and all of you fine fellows! :mrgreen: