The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Voltron64 »

I wonder the connection between Man-Thing and The Green is in Earth-777?

(I'm also going with the idea that Ted Sallis and Alec Holland were roommates back in college.)
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

So greycrusader, instead of Onslaught, you had a corrupted echo of the Spectre called the Revenant.

I suppose that means the Revenant was the one who went on the anti-magic spree during Day of Vengeance.

Also, let it be said that the Living Tribunal is Metatron, not just the Kirby equivalent but the actual archangel.
Last edited by Voltron64 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps »

I'm very excited about Second Son's release this Friday.

As for what I have been up to, it's been mostly related to my book. Sorry guys, I'll try and fit in some new articles too.

I'm also open again to suggestions (I still have Alfred to do I believe).

Also comments for greycrusader.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra »

Not a problem, old fellow; please accept my best wishes for your pending publication once again! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader »

My proposal for the initial line-up of the 777-Universe Secret Six (populated by Marvel U characters, as The Thunderbolts were replaced by DC counterparts): Originally organized by Helmut Zeno using the codename "Magpie", the Secret Six were brought together to oppose a new Masters of Evil-this time organized and commanded by the Red Skull. Zemo had finally snapped into lucidity after a literal lifetime of indoctrination and manipulation, and surreptitiously acted to thwart the Skull's plans. After their initial adventure together, the Six were pulled back together for various reasons, and eventually grow fond of each other, banding into a semi-team for fun, money, and mutual protection.

The Constrictor: Troubled ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and (following a psychotic break) longtime career criminal Frank Payne/Frank Schilling, the Constrictor joined the Six on a mission of personal redemption. He re-honed the investigative, tactical, and hand-to-hand skills which once made him an elite undercover federal agent, and went through a trial by fire, taking down a HYDRA outpost nearly by his lonesome. The Constrictor seeks to distance himself from his badly checkered past, do some good, and re-unite with his estranged family.

Diamondback III AKA Snakeskin: Debbie Bertrand was a young woman who adopted the Diamondback gimmicks and M.O. despite the original still being active in the identity, joining with the Serpent Society and crossing paths with Captain America and SHIELD; though coming out on the losing end, Diamondback was able to make good an escape, using the teleportation device of fellow Society member Sidewinder. Ms. Bertrand was actually the niece of Jordan and Leopold Stryker, AKA the original Viper and Eel, founders of the first Serpent Squad. Though she grew up in a privileged while collar Wall Street household, Rachel was always fascinated by the "exciting" criminal careers of her uncles; she studied their weapons and fighting styles while growing up. Excelling in dramatic arts, gymnastics, dance, and martial arts, she might have had her pick of ivy league colleges save for her parents getting busted for embezzlement and fraud, leaving Rachel destitute. Then she lost her athletic scholarship after getting caught using performance enhancing drugs. She readily took up the Serpent Society's offer of a legacy membership when approached.

She joined the Secret Six after the Society's dissolution (too many lower level members rounded up by SHIELD, several more powerful members retiring, dying, or going on the run); by this time Debbie was deeply in debt to the Tinkerer for her gear and Dr. Karl Malus for the special serums which gave her enhanced flexibility and resistance to harm. After getting beaten down by her heroic predecessor (the Rachel Layton Diamondback teamed-up with the Birds of Prey to go up against the Six on one occasion), Debbie upgraded her costume and weaponry and take on the nom de guerre Snakeskin.

Aloysha Kraven: The cosmopolitan son of the late Kraven the Hunter (who was never resurrected on Earth-777), this Kraven is on the hunt for adventure, wealth, and romance. At odds with his uncle The Chameleon and half-siblings Vladimir and Ana (both of whom he considers demented), Aloysha joined with the Six out of mutual self-interest. The Six provided allies strong enough to ward off the stalking of his family members while allowing Aloysha to live his preferred lifestyle. In addition, his former girlfriend Timber Hughes was given a new identity by the patron of the Six, one that allowed her to again pursue a Hollywood career.

Lady Bullseye: One of the world's preeminent assassins, Lady Bullseye was with the Secret Six because the team provided refuge from her foes in the Hand ninja clan and the Kingpin's criminal syndicate, both of whom were targeting her for death. Her personal safety -along with the promise of a hefty payout-made Lady Bullseye a very effective teammate for a time, but her greed and ruthlessness eventually overcame any sense of loyalty, and she soon turned traitor, selling the Secret Six out.

The Primitive (Pram Tog, a mutant Alpha Primitive, who fled Attilan after stealing six Terrigen Mist pods): Pram Tog was an Alpha Primitive (the genetically engineered slave race of the Inhumans) who (like many of his kin) was psionically dominated by the insane Maximus and forced to serve as cannon fodder in yet another insurrection against Black Bolt. However, Pram Tog's latent genetic mutations were triggered by the psychic tampering, enhancing his intelligence and willpower as well as granting him tactile telekinesis. Rebelling against his lowly status, Pram Tog used his newfound powers to steal several pieces of technology from the Inhuman Royal Family's quarters, then escape from Attilan. Through unknown circumstances, he ended up working for AIM (their scientists planned to eventually dissect Pram) and befriending Zany Amy. The two formed a strong bond, with The Primitive finding her murderous antics endlessly amusing. He joined the Secret Six along with Zany Amy, in part because of friendship and the promise of enough wealth to never have to return to servitude again.

Zany Amy (Amy Doe, a distaff doppelganger of Deadpool created by A.I.M.): Amy Doe-she had no other recollection of a name, despite brief flashes of memory-was an AIM heavy-assault team member who was punished for a failed mission by becoming the test subject for a genetic graft obtained from Wade Wilson's many blown off parts. The intention was to create a malleable version of Deadpool for AIM to use as they wished; it worked out about as well as the creation of X-23, perhaps considerably less so. After slaughtering 37 AIM staff members for fun, Zany Amy teamed up with Pram Togg to escape, killing 50 more in the process. Though she shared her "father's" comfortable distance from reality, she lacked any moral conflict about her life choices at all. Despite her seemingly casually ruthless attitude, Zany Amy died to save The Primitive and her other teammates, exploding three of Pram Togg's terrigen grenades against a veritable horde of minor league super-villains.

(To be expanded later, with the last three members of the first Secret Six roster, and their initial reason for coming together).

Later members: Following Lady Bullseye's betrayal of the team to the Masters of Evil, and the death of Zany Amy, the rogue AIM mutate MODAM was recruited to take a slot on the team; while The Primitive grew quite fond of her during the tenure of "Big Headed Woman", enough so he parted with one of his Terrigen Mist pods to aid her in resuming a normal human form, after which she quietly vanished. She intended to seek out the help of Hank Pym in doing so, but no further news was heard about her.
Other members included the nihilistic but irrepressible Madcap and The Amazing Maximum Girl, a naive and amnesiac teenager who turned out to be a failed attempt by T.O. Morrow and Prof. Ivo to create yet another Super-Adaptoid android. Both had brief stays with the team, as The Amazing Maximum Girl sought out the Vision to aid her in becoming more human, while no one else could ultimately stand Madcap, and he was summarily expelled.

Yet another alternate-timeline variant of Thundra was the team powerhouse for a time, having made a love connection with both Snakeskin and Kraven Junior (she insisted on calling him that), though the latter was more of a "just for a change" thing for the Frantic Femizon. Her departure came at the hands of a "time bullet" dispatched her from Earth-777. This set the team against the Red Skull and his Skeleton Crew, a grudge never settled.

The longest serving "replacement" members were Nina Price, the so-called "Vampire by Night", who was broken out of a SHIELD containment facility by The Constrictor and Snakeskin, and Nomad, the ex-partner of Captain America. Nina forged strong bonds with the team members, finally finding a new home and surrogate family.

Nomad (Jack Munroe) quickly assumed a key role withing the team. Though seemingly much out of character for the Nomad, Jack Munroe was seeking to make up for his time as the brainwashed Scourge of the Underworld, when he had been mind-controlled into murdering many minor costumed criminals in cold blood. He hoped to redeem himself by helping others do so as well, changing villains into heroes. Nomad's team roster included Nina, Cestus (Melvin Potter, the former Daredevil foe Gladiator, enhanced with a super-soldier serum), Llyron (Namor's cloned counterpart), Eric O'Grady (The Irredeemable Ant-Man), and Marsha Rosenberg, AKA Volcana. This version ended with Cestus again retiring from "the life" and Eric O'Grady getting thumped and tossed into a trashcan by Volcana.

BTW: Volton, thanks for the suggestion of Thundra as a Knockout expy.

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

How about Thundra for the Knockout expy?

Which makes me think that Wonder Woman probably has had some encounters with the Femizons and the Polemachans.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Post by Ares »

Charles Phipps wrote:Was re-reading a bunch of this stuff and I have to say....amazing stuff.

Really, guys, awesome-awesome material. I love all of Libra's villain write-ups and Ares' Captain Marvel stuff was a masterpiece.

I resorted the articles as well.

Thanks everyone for participating.
I've been needing to come back to the Settings forum for a while, update my own thread and give this one another read, but I wanted to at the very least say that I'm glad you liked my Captain Marvel stuff, and say that this remains a very fun thread. ^_^ I might throw some other suggestions out as time goes on, if you like, maybe some *GASP* NON-Captain Marvel stuff as well. ^_^

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps »

This is completely non-canon but it came up in my home campaign and the inter-connectivity of the DCU, Marvel, and video games continuity I inserted into said home game is something I just wanted to share.

Feel free to say it's ludicrous.

:mrgreen:

The Legacy of the Philosophers and Solid Snake

The Illuminati, founded by Vandal Savage, took on a life of its own after the foundation of the United States due to its efforts. Having safely embedded itself into the halls of power within said nation and created massive numbers of secret society satellite organizations to protect its interests, the Illuminati reached out to its sibling branches in both Europe as well as China post World War 1.

Proving even evil can have standards, the Illuminati formed the Philosophers as an organization designed to prevent a repeat of history's greatest war. The organization also intended to deal with the burgeoning phenomenon of superhumans as they had traditionally done in the past but with a more idealistic mission.

One of the early members was encountered by Hippolyta of the Amazons and became influenced by their philosophy. The inspiration of the Philosophers affected one of her Amazons as well, resulting in a romance with said figure and the birth of their child. This woman, later known as The Boss, would thrive under the Philosopher's care and become one of America's greatest soldiers during WW2.
It is suspected by some that said Amazon may have been Lyta Trevor Hall or some relation to her but the second Dream is protective of his mother's past and any attempts to trouble her have resulted in profoundly unsettling dreams which warn off even the hardiest souls.
The Amazon-influenced Boss was a woman out of time, holding little to the ideals of nationalism or America as was but, instead, to America as could be. Steve Rogers found her an inspirational figure and vice-versa, the two generating an aura about them which was said to provide an almost impenetrable shield of idealism.

Rumors about a relationship between the two are completely unsubstantiated, though. Steve Rogers was mostly shy and awkward around women with Peggy Carter being his "one exception" while the Boss was attracted to bookish Russian pacifist the Sorrow.

In truth, the two got along like siblings.
The Boss gave birth to the Sorrow's child supposedly on the beaches of Normandy but said child was immediately spirited away by her Philosopher masters. Due to the influence of Vandal Savage, the organization broke apart as the Chinese faction collapsed under communist takeover while the Soviet and American factions were replaced by power-hungry renegades.

The Weapon Plus program, sponsored with Philosopher money, became the basis for what both factions believed would lead to a Master Race. The Philosophers effectively ceased to exist with other societies absorbing their assets.
It is believed Charles Xavier's father was one of the original Philosophers as well as Nathaniel Richards. Both would pass along some of their ideals to their sons. Unfortunately, the Weapon Plus program would be compromised by Project Paperclip defected scientist, Nathaniel Essex.
The Boss would continue to serve her interpretation of the American Dream despite these setbacks in the somewhat naive hope that the world would improve. She would recruit Pearl Harbor orphaned Hawaiian-born Half-Japanese, Jack, to be her apprentice. Proving, ironically, the superiority of training over genes, Jack (codenamed: Snake), waged war throughout the 1950s and early 1960s with the Boss against threats which imperiled the United States.

Despite being offered numerous postings within the fledgling SHIELD organization, the Boss instead kept her international NATO-allied unit (codenamed "Fox") small with the GC&CS-trained Major Zero, supergenius Paramedic, and master scientist Sigit. In general, the Fox Unit was an embarrassment to the United States given its color, nation, and gender-blind hiring practices but phenomenal success rate.

In the end, secret forces in the US government sought to destroy the Fox unit's leader and arranged for her framing as well as execution. For a brief time, Naked Snake (re-dubbed "Big Boss") assumed the role of the United States' head of Anti-Superhuman Activities and was the first director of the Department of Extranormal Relations.

The Boss was uninterested in remaining a pawn in the larger schemes of others, however, and used a massive personal fortune stolen from the Philosophers to help Major Zero create The Patriots. The Patriots was designed to revive the Philosophers and eliminate the secret factions manipulating the world.
The Patriots funded SHIELD to become the massive multinational global organization it was and privately set up numerous sub-organizations to protect its interests. It is believed that Checkmate's Black King and White King were originally based on Big Boss and Major Zero.

Unfortunately, Major Zero became fascinated with the same experiments that compromised Weapon Plus and the creation of Deathstroke from one of Big Boss' former students infuriated Jack. Thus, Big Boss attempted to create his own "Army without Borders" to try and resolve the myriad problems of the world. Having developed a paranoid-obsessive personality disorder from his investigations into American Conspiracys (and discovering how extensively HYDRA had infiltrated the halls of power), Major Zero viewed this as an unconscionable betrayal.

Arranging for the destruction of Big Boss' private army, Major Zero seriously injured him and proceeded to have his comatose body used as part of an experiment involving Weapon Plus to see if "perfect human specimens" could be created. While Nathaniel Essex laughed at the concept, he nevertheless created three extraordinarily gifted human children with identical features. Because Sinister had no interest in super-humans given his work on mutants, all three were given a "timed release death" which was to happen via rapid aging by 2014.

Major Zero's sanity continued to erode and he became obsessively paranoid about mutants, recruiting them as agents for the Patriots while researching robotics as ways to help "normal people" survive. His influence wavered in the wake of his massive spending, resulting in him having to divert funds from the United States nuclear program to continue his robotics research. The so-called Metal Gears would help fund Sentinel research, ironically threatening all of humanity in future generations.
Amusingly, the Metal Gears never became as popular a weapon as Major Zero bet on. Tony Stark created power armor superior to it in nearly all respects while completely automated robots were superior to the piloted version for things like the Sentinels.

They became dead-end technology, highlighting Major Zero's failure of vision.
Major Zero would find most of his actions backfiring across the Nineties with the clones of Big Boss being extraordinarily difficult to control. Big Boss proved unrepentant of his earlier actions and was seemingly killed by one of his "sons" after waking from a coma and attempting to create a nation-state free from what he perceived as the insanities of modern politics.

Combined with the aforementioned failure of Zero's mecha designed to find a valid place in wartime, it was (ironically) Doctor Clark (a.k.a Paramedic's) research into cybernetics that became the Patriot's most useful discoveries. Even those were co-opted by other groups like Roxxon Oil to create the Deathlok cyborgs and The Reavers. Worse, the Patriots were unable to influence policy as they desired, with Lex Luthor beating their candidate of George Sears (A.K.A Solidus Snake) for President of the United States come 2004.
George Sears found this failure to be something of a wake-up call and actually fought against the Patriots much earlier and sought a form of atonement for his earlier atrocities leading child soldiers in Liberia.

Captain America's opinion of the man remains highly negative, though, and the two fought several times.
The final failure of Major Zero came with his stroke and the Patriots instituting his last will and testament, plugging in artificial intelligences he'd bet everything could turn around the fortunes of their organization. The Patriots, based on Hank Pym's groundbreaking worse, eventually proved as psychotic as Ultron and became obsessed with fostering war and conflict across the world in direct contradiction of the Boss' teachings.
All the more ironic given the Boss' own AI "neural clone" was a peaceful and benevolent being like the Red Tornado or Vision.
Big Boss was ultimately freed from yet another hellish prison created by Weapon Plus by the same son who "killed him", right before they dismantled the Patriots and their AI masters forever. Solid Snake would pass on a few months later, content with his legacy. Solid Snake's partner, Huey Emmerich, would go on to work with Hank Pym and Will Magnus on developing peaceful robotics while also fighting to abolish Sentinel as well as Metal Gear technology.

Their adopted child, Sunny, would graduate from the Avengers Academy at lightning speed and enter the service of SWORD designing craft for peaceful space exploration. Solid Snake's attempted replacement, the cyborg super-soldier Raiden, would eventually become an Outsider for a time before his attitude towards killing caused him to depart the group's service for personal vendettas against war profiteers like Roxxon, World Marshall, and Stagg Industries.

However, nothing stays buried forever on Earth-777...especially that of old soldiers.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

I love it but I'm still treating it as non-canon.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps »

Yeah, me too. It's the kind of crazy only good at my table.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

Given all the mention of him in this thread recently, I think an article on Mr. Sinister would be well-suited.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader »

Voltron64 wrote:I love it but I'm still treating it as non-canon.
Well, technically speaking all of it is non-canon, as far as DC and Marvel are concerned. But I agree-while it is wonderful material, I'm doubtful if it quite fits the 777 setting.

Speaking of which-my apologies for my lackluster posting record of late. I've been a little distracted and even a bit frustrated creatively speaking, and my mind has been on other things. Going to try and clear my head over the upcoming weekend and get back to setting my mind to enjoyable pursuits. This means finishing up my 777 Secret Six and Thunderbolts posts, among other things.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

Here's something that's just occurred to me.

Have the Morlocks ever set up shop in Gotham?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps »

Contracts are all signed, folks.

My books should be releasing Summer of 2015.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 »

Congrats!

I hope you'll still have time to post here even with this big announcement of yours.