The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
SFiercex4
Disciple
Disciple

Post by SFiercex4 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Well-written on the Hulk, Charles. I always enjoyed the duality of the Hulk, and an analysis of what each of the personalities offers in terms of strength and character, beyond the obvious "super-strength -> scientist" deal. Good work, keep it up!

Rubber Baron
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Rubber Baron » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:45 am

My use of a shared universe is not to play the universe, but to have a background that is recognizeable. I pretty much cut off the slavish adherence to the various storylines at a period between 1980 (when Champions first came out) and 1985 (the year of the first Crisis and Secret Wars).

For a setting, I want a place where the PCs can shine. If Batman and Superman and the Fantastic Four and Spiderman are still around in their prime and active, why have the PCs? At the start of my Perrinverse, Superman was long retired, Batman (and Batman II) was dead, Spiderman was mostly retired and the Fantastic Four were Dr. Doom's bodyguards (later found to be some of Doom's robots - guarding yet another robot).

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess.
Steve Perrin
A hero must be practical.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:35 am

Rubber Baron wrote:
For a setting, I want a place where the PCs can shine. If Batman and Superman and the Fantastic Four and Spiderman are still around in their prime and active, why have the PCs?
Mostly, the same way you play in the Justice League Universe. There's more than enough threats to keep all of the heroes in the world occupied in Earth-777.

If Darkseid attacks, then it may genuinely be up to the PCs because everyone else is elsewhere.

Ecalsneerg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Ecalsneerg » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:54 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Rubber Baron wrote:
For a setting, I want a place where the PCs can shine. If Batman and Superman and the Fantastic Four and Spiderman are still around in their prime and active, why have the PCs?
Mostly, the same way you play in the Justice League Universe. There's more than enough threats to keep all of the heroes in the world occupied in Earth-777.

If Darkseid attacks, then it may genuinely be up to the PCs because everyone else is elsewhere.
"Superman is on a mission in space," the justification for 90% of JLU :wink:

In my games I like to segregate patrol grounds. Sure, Spider-Man, Daredevil, The Avengers and the FF are all in New York, but they have different patrol grounds, especially the Avengers and FF who frequently leave the city or even the dimension. This means that, even though Superman is looking after Metropolis, Batman is in Gotham, Nightwing is in Bludhaven, etc etc, the PCs are still needed to protect another city. It helps that I live in Scotland, which has little superhero exposure in comics.

(As an aside, I know Marvel has Excalibur and MI-13, but has DC ever really covered UK-based superheroes?)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:28 am

20 Reasons why the PCs are it

Roll a D20 when the PCs are ever going to call for backup.

1. The JLU, X-men, and Avengers have been sucked into a cosmic battleground against the Gamemaster. They won't be back for a week.

2. The Red Skull has created a nanite plague that most of the world's heroes have journeyed to China to stop.

3. Unbeknownst to the PCs, all of the other world's heroes have been stripped of their powers by Felix Faust. Jarvis and Snapper Carr are keeping a wrap on it to avoid world panic.

4. There's a massive cosmic disaster in the Skrull Empire. It's already been taken care of but there's an eight week journey in hyperspace too and from.

5. Character X is visiting Gorilla City. Yes, even Wolverine.

6. The villain of the current adventure has made a deal with Mesphito to pull all the heroes into the Inferno! The PCs must defeat the villain and destroy the contract so that the heroes of the world are all freed!

7. Godzilla is attacking downtown Tokyo. The PCs can ask them to drop dealing with Godzilla and deal with their threat. However, instead, the PCs have to deal with Godzilla.

This can be used every time they ask.

8. The Justice League/Avengers is all on individual assignments but they send the PCs Booster Gold and Squirrel Girl to help.

9. It's actually time for a Marvel/DCU Crossover. Inform the PCs that the rest of the heroes of the world are involved in a Crisis. Many infinite realities, very dangerous, it'll be fine.

10. The current villain has used his MIND CONTROL RAY to disable every major superhero at once and has them imprisoned in his laboratory!

11. The Avengers, Justice League, and X-men ALL SHOW UP because the villain is THAT Badass. Especially appropriate for someone like Darkseid or Thanos...

....and they are ALL fighting against the bad guys MINIONS. The PCs must continue their mission as before.

12. The Watcher SUDDENLY APPEARS before the PCs. "I AM FORBIDDEN TO INTERFERE IN MORTAL AFFAIRS, HUMANS. HOWEVER, I MUST WARN YOU. IF YOU INVOLVE OTHER SUPERHEROES IN THIS AFFAIR. THEN *GREAT DISASTER* WILL BEFALL THE WORLD!"

13. Doctor Strange suddenly appears and Doctor Fate! The Balance of the Cosmos is upset and the PCs are required to right it. One of their battles during today's fight will determine the fate of the Dimension!

If anyone else interferes, they will unleash Demons, Dogs and Cats Living together, and a Giant Slorg!

14. Wolverine shows up. No matter who the player characters called. He exists to have the PCs villain promptly defeat him in the opening seconds of the fight.

15. Captain America (or Superman) answers the phone and listens patiently. He then informs the PCs that they'd be happy to help, however, there will be a slight delay as Hydra has unleashed a virus that will kill all life in the oceans.

They have it under control but it's taking a bit. They can spare Booster Gold, though, if they want. Or Wolverine.

16. The PCs get Doctor Doom instead. Who promises he WILL DESTROY THEM NEXT SINCE HE'S CONQUERED THAT PUNY RICHARDS AND ALL OF HIS ALLIES!

17. The villain unveils THE WAND OF WOTOOMB that swifty expends all of its energy, defeating ALL of the superheroes the PCs summoned. He intended to use it on the PCs but they've forced his hand!

18. Strangely, every Superhero in the world but them seems gone. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN!?

19. Nick Fury has taken them all on a mission with Amanda Waller. They're deep undercover. They should be back next week. They'll smell of squid and a few will mutter things about Deep Ones while giggling insanely.

20. The Flash answers the PCs call "THANK GOD! Everyone else is down and we need your help badly!"

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:41 pm

:lol:
14. Wolverine shows up. No matter who the player characters called. He exists to have the PCs villain promptly defeat him in the opening seconds of the fight.
Just what the heck is Logan up to in this universe? :shock:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Libra wrote::lol:
Just what the heck is Logan up to in this universe? :shock:
It's a joke on 8bit's take on Wolverine. I.e. he exists to be all badass but only so villains can beat him up to look tough.

See the Red Hood, for example.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Reactions of JLA Members on being asked to register

Wonder Woman: "I am Diana, Princess of Themyscira and her accredited envoy to the United Nations. If Victor Von Doom can have diplomatic immunity, so can I."

Superman: IAMTHELAW.COM - Subject, Kal-El of Krypton, is considered a citizen of Earth, not the US and is comprehensively beloved.

We don't have a prayer, especially if we push it. That's why we have Project Cadmus.

Martian Manhunter: "As a gesture of goodwill to my adopted home and a sign of solidarity in face of the Skrull threat I shall gladly register my identity. I am J'onn J'onzz of Ma'aleca'andra and no more a Skrull than I am a tharg.

Green Lantern: "I am an officer of the oldest police service in space and a little busy with keeping a horde of scary fascist spacemen with a yellow fixation away from Earth. Don't jog my elbow."

The Flash: "Sorry, I'm not at home. Busy saving the World, stopping the Rogues and keeping too far ahead of the laws of physics for them to catch up and tell me they don't want to play my game anymore. But I'll be really happy to talk to you afterwards so leav- beep.

The Batman: "I hoped it would come to this."

<Reaches for his belt with a terrifying smile on his face. Hardened SHIELD Agents become secretly grateful their armour has internal plumbing.>

"I am a recognised special deputy of the Gotham City Police Department. Have a nice day OLD CHUM."
Last edited by Libra on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Psistrike » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Bwahahaha! :lol: That line for Batman is totally what would happen if they tried to make him register.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 am

Ha! Precisely the reaction I was hoping for. :D

I wanted to post something other than idle compliments and that popped into my head fully-formed. I just thought up the rest to give it context.

(i.e: Provide an excuse.)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:45 am

I'm still awaiting your wonderful City writeup.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Gah! :oops:

I'm a little stuck on that one - I'm not sure it would have been all that wonderful either - and I'm probably going to try my hand at writing up a few thoughts on the various heroic teams first.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 am

A question Charles, for some final confirmation:

What incarnation of the Justice League are you planning to use as major model? I was going to go with the Bruce Timm Unlimited incarnation.

Would that be about right?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 am

Libra wrote:A question Charles, for some final confirmation:

What incarnation of the Justice League are you planning to use as major model? I was going to go with the Bruce Timm Unlimited incarnation.

Would that be about right?
Sure, if you like.

In fact, my interpretation for Earth-777 is that "Once an Avenger, Always an Avenger" in the minds of Superman. While there's usually some considerable debate as to who goes on the main team, Superman and company really don't feel that you ever leave the organization all that much. You just go off duty for awhile.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 am

Libra wrote:Gah! :oops:

I'm a little stuck on that one - I'm not sure it would have been all that wonderful either - and I'm probably going to try my hand at writing up a few thoughts on the various heroic teams first.
Up to you, I thought it was fine as is.