The Crinoverse 2 (End of Part 2)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (Wunder Wachter)

Postby Crinos » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:54 pm

How are the NPC's?

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 pm

haven't had enoguh time to check any of the rest.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Crinos wrote:Just got Aliens Unlimited. Looks good.

I figured most fo the aliens in there would be easy to fit in the Crinoverse.

the Atorians are probably rivals to the Grue and the Khan and Lor. The TMC is most likely part of the Lor or at the least allied within it. The FAR is the one most interesting to me. They come off as terrified of the atorians but dont seem to have the cohesiveness to really fight them.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:29 am

that's pretty much how i rolled with em, except i combined them with the Coaition from rifts, had one of their first conquests be the Robotech masters of Tirol (meaning the Atorian empire gets Zentradi shock troops, and stuck dealing with the Invid)

ah, here it is, followed by my entry on the invid, no less

and to go with that, there was my unorthodox take on using Macross/robotech
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah ive always used the Skull motif of the Coalitiion for the Atorians myself. Combined with the Romulan Klingon bird motif for their ships. Somethign about the Atorians always screamed Raptor or Predator bird to me.

I did like that combination of Macross thats was neat. :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 am

thanks

speaking of rifts, what's putting the Usurper on the map techwise?

he's the dude that invented glitter boys

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Hey Kreuz, I don't really have anything in mind for my next writeup, so would you give us an in depth look at the Island of Thule, since that is more your wheelhouse than mine. Then I can add my input when you are done.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Incidentally, I do have a few things to add about monsters (Zombies, Werewolves, and Vampires), from David Wellington's interpretations of them, since I just finished his last vampire book last night.

I'd like to see what you and others make of them, Crinos.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I haven't read them, so feel free to go Ahead Arthur, and I can provide input.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:37 pm

i'll see what I can do, because right now i'd just be quoting the info from the book

but, some high points as i understand my head-canon

1. unlike the pre-battle Czar Burning Protectorate or Ruritania, Thule actually makes deliberate effort to 'play nice' with the rest of europe. this means most plots out of thule have some degree of 'plausible deniability'

2. culture is what i call 'enlightened nazi', lacking the insane hatred/anti-intellectualism of the 3rd reich, and as you said, runs much closer to the politics & ideals of Ultima Thule, but its still a fascist government where the State seems to involve itself on every level, and draws far too many other parallels for those with long memories. in keeping with point 1, this means out and out neo-nazi supervillains who try applying for the einherjar are first laughed at like village idiots, then get their butts handed to them before being turned over to interpol

3. for Thule at it's best, well, there's a reason i changed Lohengrin's nationality from german to Thulian. he and empyrean pretty much embody all that is or could be good about Thule

4. I kind of want to say Thule's a lot like Armestris from FMA, complete with the use of State alchemy (using scientific principles to master the occult), and chimeras working for the secret police.

5. while thule really does try to distance itself from Naziism, there's a distressing trend for their overseas ambassadors to wind up acting like the bad guys from Lethal Weapon 2

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Making one post for the stuff I've contributed. I think I have an idea on incorporating Madoka Magica, mostly cause I noticed a creepy similarity to something from a series that has already been brought in, and I'll do that later.

Chicago part 1
Chicago part 2
Chicago Part 3
The Red Court
Beast Wars
New Warriors 2.0
Teen Titans
Space Organizations: Part 1
Space Organizations: Part 2
The Wreckers
The Summers Family
Transformers Update
Space Organizations Part 3
Space Organizations part 4
Centurian Machines
Last edited by Yeoman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (HED Updates)

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Zombies, Vampires, and Werewolves, oh my!

Throughout recorded history and spoken myth, man has told of monsters of all shapes and sizes, often with conflicting characteristics. Some of the most frightening monsters were those that were similar, or could appear similar, to men. The Covenant, various monster hunters, and others in the mystic world know of a few types of monsters that, while similar to some far well known ones, are unique in a few distinct ways.

Malvern Vampires

Named for the last living member of the race, Justinia Malvern, these vampires (believed to be extinct at present) appeared very long ago, possibly as far back as the fall of Rome. Their vampirism is transmitted through a kind of hypnotic suggestion, called the Silent Rite. The Rite urges the human to take their own life, and when accepted, the human rises the next night as a vampire. Though it can be resisted, the curse never really goes away, and someone exposed to the Rite who then kills themselves a decade later, for perhaps unrelated reasons, will still become a vampire.

These vampires have a very uniform appearance, with pointed ears, albino skin, red eyes, a complete lack of hair, and a mouth filled not with teeth, but fangs. On the night that a vampire first rises, it is at its strongest, and they must feed constantly to sustain their strength. While one pint of blood might do the first night, as time passes, they need more and more, or they waste away.

When the sun rises, these vampires must return to their coffins, or at least a small, dark contained place. Its not that sunlight burns them-although bright artificial light can blind and disorient them in great enough concentration-its that their bodies decay and fall apart during the day, whether they are near the sun or not. They remain in a decomposed, putrescent state, with maggots and other carrion in their remains. Only the heart remains solid, a dark almost coallike substance Then, at nightfall, their bodies reform, as if from magic. Note-if a vampires heart is separated from the rest of its 'body', it can exist for a very long time without undergoing the usual aging process. Simply reunite body and heart, and voila, instant vampire, no matter what the expiration date. Still, this process does have its drawbacks-it leaves the vampire completely helpless, existing only in its heart, and the vampires, when restored, are not quite at full strength.

Personality wise, these vampires are not the kind who sit around and wax poetical, alternatively railing against and begrudgingly accepting their fate. Nor is there any chance of them co existing with humans, or warring amongst themselves. After a few nights of undeath, and more importantly, those first all important meals of blood, they begin to lose all sense of their past selves. Much like junkies, all they can think about is getting another fix. They feed, and feed, and the only time they deviate from this pattern is when they attempt to create other vampires-to fight their loneliness at times, or for protection. Wise elder vampires make new vampires simply to distract monster hunters and serve as proxies for their wrath-for, despite being beastial, they are capable of cruelty and cunning. There have been times when they quarrel with each other, and some of them have been able to find purpose-a few (some of the older ones, pious in life) appoint themselves Grim Reapers, striking down those they feel deserving or desiring death. Others make it their mission to protect their elders.

When well-fed on blood, these vampires are bullet-proof, superhumanly fast, and exceptionally strong. They don't bite people on the neck so much as tear them limb from limb and soak up the blood from the ruined chunks. While they can be injured by armor-piercing weapons, if they have consumed enough blood recently, they'll simply heal from the injuries before one's very eyes. There was one instance with living witnesses of a vampire (Malvern herself), evading and surviving a Hellfire missile strike from a helicopter after having drunk the blood of possibly a hundred people in one night. In addition to their own strength, they are skilled with magic, and there are a whole host of human mystics who can trace the origins of their craft from those who stole secrets from vampires themselves.

Ghouls
A magical zombie variant, these undead shamblers aren't mad science gone awry, nor are they similar to the hosts of the Las Plagas parasites. They're risen undead driven to feed on life itself-not necessarily the flesh, though they are often hungry, but the energy of life, which they perceive as a golden glow. They're walking examples of a hole, tear, or severe dent in the morphogenic field of life itself. These zombies are also capable of possessing intelligence, sometimes great intelligence. It all depends on how they die and rise.

After the dark magic has been exposed, often occurring in one spot and then rippling outward to cover a city, or a county, or a region, or a country, or the planet itself, with enough power, any living who die in the area will return as ghouls. However, in between death and undeath, there is irreversible damage done to the body-specifically the brain. Those who avoid this-which nearly always requires aforethought, usually by making sure oxygen is still flowing to their brain via respirators, are known as liches. In addition to their heightened intelligence, they have certain inborn powers related to the dark energy that connects all the undead, sort of a mental link, in contrast to the golden web of life. Liches have been observed recovering from wounds even the toughest of ghouls would die from, shutting down the minds of the living by suppressing the golden glow of life itself, remotely shutting down other ghouls in order to take their power, and controlling the actions of other ghouls, in a combination body control and sensory link. Other powers could manifest, and the possibility for liches to experiment with more refined magic than their own primal abilities is high.

The children of Amuruq
These werewolves have their origins in ancient animal spirits, beings who have existed since the first humans were born, and possibly before then. They exist outside time, connected to both this world and the Imageria. Some of the most prominent of these spirits were worshiped by ancient Native Americans, although they exist elsewhere as well. The animal spirit, or tuurngaq of the wolf was called Amuruq.

A long time ago, two ancient tribes were at war. In order to win, the more mystic tribe beseeched their animal spirits. And so one of them, the smartest of all, Tulugaq-Raven, came up with a plan. He tricked his sister, Amaruq, into beign weakened and chained by the tribe. They used pitchblende-which is a weakness to the animal spirits, and then tied her down. Then they used a silver knife, given to them by another spirit, of the moles, to cut her apart while she was in transition between wolf and human form. Most of her body was utterly destroyed, and the rest cooked into a stew. This stew was fed to the other tribe, and with the rising of the next moon, the first werewolves were born.

These werewolves exist in two forms-human and wolf. In both forms they are more powerful than their natural counterparts, and can only be harmed by silver-they can not touch it, for it burns them like poison. At nightfall, the moonlight pierces their body, destroying them and then creating a new body. The spirit of Amuruq lives on, and drives them to attack humans on sight. Humans wounded by werewolves who live have the curse spread to them. Its possible the curse could be broken, with all werewolves cured of their fate and Amaruq returned to life. Some people say this has happened recently, actually, in the great North beyond Canada. But even if it had happened, there's nothing to stop some other shaman or wizard from trying the same thing again.

I tried to make things a little more open-ended, because in each of his series (which exist in separate continuities-at least the zombie one), things pretty much end as far as the supernatural beings are concerned, one way or the other.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am

Thule

"Success demands Sacrifice"

Located in the north sea, several hundred miles off the coast of Norway, the Kingdom of Thule is a tiny island nation that seems to embody Nietzsche's concept of the "Will to Power", that the lowliest beggar can make themselves a god amongst men if they have the will to do so, and that anything is possible so long as you're willing to see it through no matter the cost.

And on Thule, that cost is a fascist dicatorship that borders on Naziism, where those with the 'will to power' trample down upon the 'weak'. where the secret police can smash down your door and make you disappear overnight, or literally snatch you off of the street without question.

In thule, its easy to miss its horrors, the average vistor overwhelmed by the operatic majesty that surrounds them, from primordial mountains and valleys to the ancient cities and monuments built by the Ultimen that still stand tall and proud, in a style before the oceans drank atlantis. Magic is practised openly, mostly in the form of Thule's countless State Alchemists, such that the alchemic principle of equivalent exchange has been adopted as a way of life, and the average Thulian citizen will argue that their peace and prosperity is worth losing some small freedoms. this is not merely indoctrination: when Thule was founded, its borders were opened to Europe's poor, the refugees and dispossesed, people who KNEW what it was like to have literally nothing, and would do anything to keep from going back to die in the gutters of europe

Thule is also an island of science and industry, having reverse engineered Ultimen artifacts to provide advancements in chemicals and electronics, as well as biotech scavenged from the lost underwater arcology of Rapture, including the ADAM-based gene splicing that created the city's mutants, and is still seeing frequent testing throughout theThulian Military industrial complex. recognizing these secrets would fall into their hands eventually, Thule has a working business relationship with the Labyrinth with regards to their biotech/supersoldier concerns.

To have powers in Thule is a double-edged sword. on the one hand, a metaman or State Alchemist is an overnight celebrity and rockstar, beloved by the people and favored where ever they go, simply because something impossible is now bound to their will. On the other hand, Metamen and State Alchemists are the "dogs of the military", expected to perform when and as their superiors command, without question. this 'carrot and stick' approach is used to indoctrinate recruits into willingly becoming loyal soldiers of their sovereign.

as with many oppressive regimes, Thule also maintains a secret police, and here its where Kreuzritter's hand tips, because they're the SS in all but name... and that many agents are secretly Chimeras, able to become monstrous beast-men in the blink of an eye.

as mentioned, Thulian society is also modelled on that of the Ultimen, and Kreuzritter has made no secret that he wishes to elevate his people to their level some day ("Metaphoricly, of course..."), and actively abhorrs the legacy of hatred and anti-intellectualism of the Nazi Party, to the point that Obviously neo-nazi supervillains who try applying for the Einherjar are first laughed at like village idiots, then get their butts handed to them before being turned over to interpol. and, unlike the pre-battle Czar Burning Protectorate or Ruritania, Thule actually makes deliberate effort to 'play nice' with the rest of europe. this means most plots out of thule have some degree of 'plausible deniability' (even if their diplomats have this habit of acting like the bad guys from Lethal Weapon 2).

in 2004, Thule's power structure was rocked when Kreuzritter was "abducted and brainwashed" into teaming up with Dr. Destroyer in an effort to conquer all of Time & Space [see champions/Silver age Sentinels: Reality Storm], which resulted in his being left in a death-like coma, which plunged Thule into turmoil and power struggles that threatened civil war more than once along its sucession of puppet rulers. it is to the credit of Miolnir and his Einherjar that the thulian government remained relatively intact and undominated by foreign powers over this period, even if the only legislation from this period that actually passed was a law that all female officers would be required to wear Tiny Miniskirts.

in 2010, the Psychotic Seven tried to 'liberate' Thule by destroying the remains of Kreuzritter, only to not only inadvertently wake him from his death-like slumber, but to realize his elemental powers are now amplified to godlike levels while on Thulian soil, such that Thule itself was his weapon in driving the Seven from his kingdom singlehandedly.

Since this incident, Kreuzritter has resumed his rulership of Thule, reinstated Minister of State Lukas Hertzog (the most competant of his would be successors), and having spent much of the past two years getting his house back in order, has resumed his ultimate ambition of global domination, starting with the acquistion of SHADOW's former european resources. Kreuzritter, having been a former ally of Overshadow and once-member of the Penumbra, had the advantage of knowing which SHADOW installations were worth seizing. and in addition to now controlling SHADOW resources in nordic nations, also has choice access to what he considers "the good stuff", despite PHANTOM being the 'winner' in this division of resources.

However, despite being a greater threat than ever, Kreuzritter's rule is not absolute, and their remain cracks in Thule's heiarchy from its years without him. several of his lieutenants had grown used to being their own masters, and chafe under their renewed leash. Meanwhile, in the wake of the instability, thule's underclass have found their own "will to Power" an outlaw dissedent movement dubbed the Black Bats, so named for their operatives use of winged glider harnesses as they rob from the rich to give to the poor.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Great stuff Kreuz and Arthur.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 pm

for those wondering, the Black Bats are from Full Metal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”