The Mean Streets of Modern Magic: Membership Drive Update

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Re: The Dresden Gargoyles Ninja Turtles-verse: Kirby

Postby vitruvian » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Ares wrote:Image
Things like this are what happen when I have other media to kill time while I work. I listen to Dresden Files audio books while I'm fence painting, I have Gargoyles playing while I do house cleaning, I have the 2003 TMNT playing while I do freelance design work, and somewhere around midnight, this coalesces. It probably didn't help that I just got the Dresden Files RPG at around the same time. Whether madness or awesome, I will let you all be the judge. :mrgreen: Also, the full sized version of the above picture is available for those that want it.

The sad thing is, I can now hear the title as part of the old 80's TMNT intro.

Dresden Gargoyles Ninja Turtles,
Something something something,
Turtle Power!

*AHEM* In any case, this is a proposed RPG setting that combines the Dresden Files, Gargoyles and the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles universes together into one place, ironing out the kinks and then throwing in a few more goodies, like Castlevania. There'll be allowances for certain things, such as the Turtles and Gargoyles being willing to use lethal force if they have to, though they are reluctant to do so most of the time. Still, the Turtles are martial artists carrying bladed weaponry, and they're prepared to use them to whatever extent is needed to defeat their opponents.

So without further ado, the points of interest I plan on addressing over the next few days, or weeks if there's enough interest.

The World
The Basics
The Sword and the King

Organizations and Individuals
The Faerie
Kirby, the King

Artifacts
Items of power and what kind of trouble they've stirred up.

Paths to Power
Magic

Archetypes
The various character types one might play in said game.

Awesome cool - but does Xanatos take the place of Marcone, or is there room for two such master manipulators?

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Xanatos was many things, but he wasn't really a mob boss.

Dipped into the criminal element on occassion, but he wasn't in control of it. I'm sure there is room for both of them.

I doubt they like each other though ;~)

And here's the offical response by the thread runner/owner/author

ZaldyKhan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ZaldyKhan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 pm

superb! cool! awesome!

But why is it only Leo is in the picture?
"That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!"
ninja swords

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 am

i beleive its in order to make room for the other two
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

That picture reminds me that for some little time I've believed The Dresden Files might be better suited to Animation than to Live Action, but also that I've never been able to decide if they would work better as movies or as a series. . .
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 am

ZaldyKhan wrote:superb! cool! awesome!

But why is it only Leo is in the picture?

Kreuzritter wrote:i beleive its in order to make room for the other two

What Kreu said. Same reason the Manhattan clan or Harry's crew aren't in the picture either, I just needed one representative of each major aspect of the setting for the pitch image. Well, that and I had to make the Dresden image from a lot of TMNT images, and it's surprisingly hard to find a good full body image of the Gargoyles online. Seriously, the 2003 TMNT has an entire photogallery dedicated to character design images, I can't find diddly for Gargoyles beyond a few small and blurry images. Darned shame.

Libra wrote:That picture reminds me that for some little time I've believed The Dresden Files might be better suited to Animation than to Live Action, but also that I've never been able to decide if they would work better as movies or as a series. . .

Definitely a TV series with each novel being a multi-part arc within each season. Would probably need to be an anime or done with the understanding that it isn't a kids show, or at least not a little kids show. Hell, the White Court alone . . . . . .

In any case, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this project, the holidays were crazy as heck for me. Hopefully I'll be back to my long winded posts on the topic soon. :mrgreen:

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 am

The SPLATTERHOUSE!!! Incident

To say that Harry Dresden and Rick Taylor's first meeting didn't go very well would be an understatement. For one thing, it had only been about a week since he'd finished up the Proven Guilty case, and he was still dealing with the repercussions of that, among them being his new apprentice, Molly Carpenter. Harry had hoped that taking out the various phobophages that had been attacking the SPLATTERCON!!! horror movie convention would have resulted in a break in supernatural activity, but it seemed like the weirdness had only increased in the time since then. Harry himself had been attacked outside of his office by some strange creature he had never seen before, and had only barely managed to defeat. So when an eight foot something giant built like the Incredible Hulk, wearing a long coat and a hood approached him suddenly outside of his home at the dead of night, it tended to make Harry a little jumpy. That said giant's face radiated a palpable aura of unnatural magic didn't help things, and combined with all of the other events of the last few weeks, he went with his first impulse, which was to cut loose at the giant with a blast of fire. Which burnt off the coat and hoot to reveal that the guy was even more muscular than Harry had thought, and had his face covered in a mask that looked downright demonic. And he was barely even singed by Harry's attack. Harry was about to shoot the giant again when the guy held up his hands and said, "Jesus F***ING CHRIST! Take it easy man, I'm here to ask for HELP!" It was at about this time that Harry noticed the unconscious girl laying on the ground directly behind said man, and told him to start talking.

A little while later, Rick and Harry had traded names, with Rick sitting on the floor of Harry's apartment while the girl was laid out on Harry's bed. Rick explained to Harry his situation to Harry, how a couple of weeks ago he and his girlfriend Jenny had been lured to the mansion of Dr. Henry West, where they discovered that the Doctor had been insane, attempting to call in powerful entities known as the Corrupted to this world in order to resurrect his wife. Rick had been mortally wounded, and only by donning the Mask he presently wore was he able to survive and rescue his Jenny from Dr. West. However, it had not been a complete victory. West had escaped, and the Mask that had allowed Rick his chance to rescue Jenny was in fact sentient. It had struck a bargain with Rick, that it would only allow itself to be removed once Rick and Jenny were truly 'safe'. During the course of Rick's adventure, Jenny had been possessed by some entity, and since neither she nor Rick would be safe while so possessed, the Mask refused to release its hold on Rick. Fortunately, the Mask had shown Rick how to safely render Jenny comatose, and the entity inside of her sustained her life forces, but Rick knew the longer he left her like this, the more likely something bad would happen. After several days so searching, the best lead Rick could find was a private investigator living in Chicago who advertised as being a 'wizard', which the Mask for some reason advised him to follow. Given that Harry had just assaulted Rick with magical fire a little while ago, Rick had to admit the Mask had known what it had been talking about.

During the conversation, the Mask chimed in occasionally, with Harry being able to hear it speak, which was somewhat disconcerting. Harry realized that it was the shadow of Lasciel that was letting him listen in, while at the same time the Mask could pick up Lash and Harry's banter, and relayed it to Rick. This caused some awkward tension for a bit, before everyone came to an understanding and decided to move on.

Harry broke out Bob the Skull to take a look at Jenny, where Bob not only confirmed that she was possessed, but that he knew the spirit inside the Mask personally. Where Bob was a spirit of intellect, the Mask was a spiritual embodiment of war and battle. It took a while for Harry and Rick to get Bob and the Mask to quit referring to each other respectively as "The Dickless Bone-Wonder" and "Punchy McKillCrazy" before they could FINALLY move it along.

Eventually they figured out that there was, in fact, a Corrupted inside of Jenny, and that the Corrupted were themselves Outsiders of no small power. Furthermore, the attacker Harry described sounded suspiciously like one of the monsters Rick had faced during his battle at the West Mansion. They concluded that Dr. West was in town, and up to his old tricks. Now it was just a matter of finding him.

They dropped Jenny off with Waldo Butters, Harry's unofficial physician, to run some medical tests to make sure she was physically stable. Harry and Rick then went do some detective work, speaking the recently demoted Sgt. Murphy, the Alphas and other members of the Chicago supernatural scene. It was when they visited the Carpenter household that the pair finally made some head way, as they arrived just in time to help Michael Carpenter fight off a group of Forgotten. The trio made short work of the monsters, with Michael attributing the timely arrival to God, something that made the Mask nauseous. After introductions were made, Michael revealed that the only person home besides him at the moment was Molly, and that the creatures seemed to be trying to get around him to get to her. Harry made several calls then to confirm his suspicions, finding out that several people involved in the SPLATTERCON!!! convention were missing, including one from the church and a few from the hospital. Worse, when contacting Butters, the ME revealed that Jenny herself had been taken by a crazy eyed doctor and a hulking assistant (thankfully, Butters had been in the restroom during the kidnapping, and found this out via the security cameras). It was easy enough to figure out where West had set up shop, and what he was up to.

The hotel that had hosted SPLATTERCON!!! was shut down for the foreseeable future due to the various deaths and damages the building had incurred during the incident. No one was suppose to be going in or out of there, but it became pretty clear to Harry, Rick and Michael that someone obviously was. After dropping Molly off at St. Mary's Church, the three men stormed the hotel, only to find that it had been converted into a nightmarish labyrinth much like the West Mansion had been. Fighting their way through the hotel and horror after horror, they made their way to Dr. West himself, now sporting a Teratoid tentacle in place of his missing arm. As Harry had suspected, West was using the SPLATTERCON!!! building, home to so much recent death, horror, fear and a weakening of dimensional fabric from all the recent phobophage activity (as well as Chicago's natural state as a magical nexus of travel) to try and call the Corrupted back to this world. To do this, he needed Jenny (who housed the only Corrupted on Earth) and as many people whose suffering was linked to this place to make the connection stronger. As a final stroke, Harry and Rick would be used as sacrifices to call the Corrupted to this plane, with Harry having a connection to SPLATTERCON and Rick having a connection to Jenny and the Corrupted inside of her.

Naturally, violence ensued, with Harry and Michael keeping the various monsters from getting to the kids while Rick tried to take the fight to West and rescue Jenny. At the crux of the battle, Harry actually prevented Rick from interrupting West's ritual. With the other sacrifices safe, the Corrupted inside of Jenny extracted itself from her, and created a body for itself composed of all the monsters West had created and infected the hotel with, including West himself. It then opened a portal to draw in still more Corrupted, but the three heroes were able to force the creature through the portal itself, Rick delivering the final blow that sent it hurtling through, trapping it and West in that realm outside of Creation.

With West and the Corrupted gone, the Mask finally released its hold on Rick, who was finally reunited with a freed Jenny. When asked what he planned to do with the Mask, Rick revealed that his encounter with West and Harry made him realize how much is actually going on in the world, and that he could use the Mask to help fight that kind of evil. He could give the Mask the violence it needed to keep it from becoming a threat, and he could safeguard innocent people as well. Harry was a little unsure of Rick being able to use an item like that for good, but reminded himself that, having a fallen angel inside of his head, he wasn't one to throw stones.

Harry agreed to spend the next few weeks bringing Rick and Jenny up to speed on the supernatural world, making sure at the very least that they were as prepared as they could be. The day Rick and Jenny finally departed was the day Molly arrived to begin her first lesson from Harry as his apprentice.
Last edited by Ares on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Re: The Dresden Gargoyles Ninja Turtles-verse: SPLATTERHOUSE!!!

Postby Ares » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:49 am

Topping this, more stuff planned for the setting soon, just been crazy busy. Besides, I don't think many people caught the Splatterhouse update. :mrgreen:

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

And now, for something spectacular.

Yep, after rewatching the Greg Weisman Spectacular Spider-Man series, I decided to let his last critically acclaimed animated series hang out with his first critically acclaimed animated series. Spectacular Spider-Man just fits too well thematically, visually and power level wise with the setting I've come up with here, so I decided to bite the bullet and include it with this nifty little place I've thrown together.

When I next update this I'll probably officially retitle the thread the DGST Merged-Verse, though it likely won't draw in as many new readers with something like that. But like I said, this just fits too well not to include it.

And as always, those interested in a larger version of the image can find it here.

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vitruvian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 am

Ares wrote:And now, for something spectacular.
Yep, after rewatching the Greg Weisman Spectacular Spider-Man series, I decided to let his last critically acclaimed animated series hang out with his first critically acclaimed animated series. Spectacular Spider-Man just fits too well thematically, visually and power level wise with the setting I've come up with here, so I decided to bite the bullet and include it with this nifty little place I've thrown together.

When I next update this I'll probably officially retitle the thread the DGST Merged-Verse, though it likely won't draw in as many new readers with something like that. But like I said, this just fits too well not to include it.

And as always, those interested in a larger version of the image can find it here.

And of course the crossover potential between Peter and Harry is endless. Ever read Butcher's Spider-Man novel The Darkest Hours? A different version of Spidey, true, but Butcher really got his attitude perfectly, and in fact has stated that he based Harry's ethos on Spider-Man's creed of "With great power comes great responsibility".

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Dresden Gargoyles Ninja Turtles-verse: Spectacular . . .

Postby Libra » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 am

Peter Parker and Harry Dresden team-up? I can feel Murphy's headache from half a continent and an ocean away . . .
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vitruvian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Libra wrote:Peter Parker and Harry Dresden team-up? I can feel Murphy's headache from half a continent and an ocean away . . .

Oh, yes, the wise cracks and quipping alone. On the other hand, if you're an innocent in trouble, there are no two guys in the multiverse more likely to just about kill themselves trying to help or save you...

Speaking of which, with the addition of Spider-Man to this crossoververse, are you going to stick with the superheroes from TMNT being in the background, or switch them to the Avengers and FF being in the background?

Actually, Spider-Man against the tougher Red Court vampires or some of the Denarians in their monstrous forms would be a nearly even fight, physically speaking, and pretty interesting to see.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Speaking of which, with the addition of Spider-Man to this crossoververse, are you going to stick with the superheroes from TMNT being in the background, or switch them to the Avengers and FF being in the background?

I say go with the former - after all the F4 and the Avengers get plenty of time in the limelight, so why not give their poor cousins some Love?

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vitruvian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Libra wrote:

I say go with the former - after all the F4 and the Avengers get plenty of time in the limelight, so why not give their poor cousins some Love?

So, that's mainly Justice Force with current membership Silver Sentry, Ananda, Metal Head, Chrysalis, Tsunami, Nobody, Raptarr, Nano, Green Mantle, Boomerang, and maybe some of the ones auditioning for them?

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 pm

I plan on eventually dedicating a post to the superhero world in general, which will cover Spider-Man as well, but to clarify, the only Marvel characters that are being transferred over to this setting are the ones that appeared in Spectacular Spider-Man. So no Avengers, no Fantastic Four, no X-Men, etc. The superhuman/supercriminals featured on the show were:

Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
Col. Jupiter (John Jameson)
Tombstone (L. Thompson Lincoln)
Hammerhead
The Enforcers: Shocker (Montana), Ricochet (Fancy Dan), Ox
The Vulture (Adrian Toomes)
Electro (Max Dillon)
The Lizard (Curt Conners)
Sandman (Flint Marko)
Rhino (Alex O'Hirn)
Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)
Dr. Octopus (Dr. Otto Octavius)
Chameleon (Dmitri Smerdyakov)
Venom (Eddie Brock)
Mysterio (Quentin Beck)
Phineas Mason / Tinkerer
Kraven the Hunter (Sergei Kravinoff)
Silver Sable (Sable Manfredi)
Silvermane (Silvio Manfredi)
Molten Man (Mark Allan)

As such, the primary hero team of the world is still the Justice Force, which is based New York to be near the United Nations, as they're a global hero team, not strictly an American one. From the established series, the Justice Force includes:

Silver Sentry
Ananda
Metal Head
Chrysalis
Tsunami
Nobody
Raptarr

The Turtle Titan is considered a reserve member at the moment, given the Ninja Turtles responsibilities and desire for secrecy. The Green Mantle made his return to superheroism, but events are going to unfold that will necessitate someone else taking up his, erm, mantle. And due to the merged setting, Nano ended up in a very different place than the Justice Force.

There are going to be other members for the Justice Force, in keeping with its Global Superteam status, but I'll get into that when I go into more details about the super setting.

I know the Turtles wiki has a listing for someone named Boomerang on the Justice Force, but I can't recall him being in any actual episodes off the top of my head, so I'm not including him.

To answer some questions before I get to that tho:

* Yes, the Justice Force has met with Spider-Man, and overall they like the kid a lot. However, Silver Sentry used his x-ray vision to peak under Peter's mask to confirm his suspicions about Peter being a teenager, though he only 'partially' looked through the mask, enough to verify Peter's age without learning his true identity. They've decided to put off asking Peter to join fulltime until he graduates highschool, since he has enough to deal with at the moment. The Force and Spider-Man have worked together several times and generally consider him an unofficial reserve member.

*Yes, Peter and the Ninja Turtles have met up several times, and like the JF, he generally gets along with them pretty well, most notably Donatello. The two are really good friends and will often hang out to do various science stuff together and generally geek out about stuff. Peter also gets along well with Leonardo, who has been trying to train Peter to be a more effective fighter, with mixed results. Leo is a bit more serious than Peter, but their mutual dedication to responsibility and the weight on their shoulders has made them unlikely friends. Peter gets along okay with Raph, but they generally don't have much in common, and Raph reminds Peter a bit of Flash Thompson. Ironically, the Turtle Peter gets along the least with is Mikey, who has developed sort of a one-sided rivalry with Peter. Mikey basically sees Spider-Man as having everything he wants: he gets to be a normal human when he takes off the mask, he gets to be a superhero and fight crime, he's funny, the Justice Force love him, etc. As such, he's constantly trying to one-up Spider-Man whenever they interact and it's getting on Peter's nerves. They'll probably be better friends once they hash things out down the road. The Turtles and Splinter know Peter's secret identity.

*Yes, Peter and the Gargoyles have met. Like the Turtles, he gets along pretty well with them, especially the younger Gargoyles like Brooklyn, Broadway and Lexington. Lex gets along with him well again thanks to being a wiseass tech head. Goliath respects Spider-Man as a human trying to help others in-spite of his hardships, but Peter's quips tend to confuse Goliath more than anything. Hudson thinks the kid's alright, but needs to relax. Elisa has mixed feelings about Spider-Man. On the one hand, he's a good kid that does a lot of work to stop criminals, but he's also a masked vigilante. Spider-Man pointed out that Elisa basically uses the Gargoyles as her own squad of flying vigilantes when the law can't stop criminals, and that she was a hypocrite for doing so just because they weren't technically humans. The argument went south from there pretty quickly and the two tend to avoid each other. That gargoyles are trying to get them to patch things up, but they're both being stubborn about this. As a result, the gargoyles are not in the know regarding Peter's secret ID.

*Yes, Harry Dresden and Peter have met. They've soulgazed in fact. It's a long story that I'll get to, but suffice to say they get along famously. The mid-battle quips they make are priceless, and both keep in touch when they can. They'd hang out more if Harry wasn't a walking anti-tech field (which has made Peter work and re-work his web-shooters so they won't fail in Harry's presence) and didn't live on the other side of the Great Lakes. Billy actually geeked out when Harry told him he'd met a real superhero, and has actually had Peter come over to meet the Alphas. Only Harry knows Peter's secret ID tho.

*Yes, David Xanatos and Tombstone have done business with each other, but it's strictly business, and not even on the level that Tombstone and Norman Osborn worked on. Xanatos is just aware that Tombstone is one of those people he has to work with for some of his shadier dealings, and does so. Since Xanatos has turned over a new leaf (including financially backing the Justice Force), they've had fewer and fewer dealings.

*No, Xanatos has not gone after Spider-Man directly. Not even once. This might sound weird, but Xanatso really has no interest in Spider-Man's particular abilities.

*No, the citizens of New York do not treat Spider-Man any better here than in the cartoon despite loving the Justice Force. They have similar distrust for Nobody, and it's actually fairly simple why: they wear full face masks, and that's actually a rarity in the superhero community. Unless they wear power armor, most superheroes leave their mouths exposed, since they found out that normal people respond better when they can see you smile and reassure them that everything will be all right. They keep their secret ID's but appear approachable. Guys like Spider-Man and Nobody keep their entire faces covered, which make people think they have something to hide. It doesn't really make sense if you analyze it too long, but people are just weird sometimes.

And I think that's enough for now. Any other questions tho, feel free to ask. ^_^

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”