The Age of Wonders Thread II

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The Age of Wonders Thread II

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 am

Original Thread: Thread I

Summary: The Age of Wonders is a "new superheroes" setting which attempts to be as interesting as longer-established settings through the use of alternate realities, advancing technology, and the fact superhumans are capable of changing the world.

Index

Technology and Science in AoW
New Members of the Esoterrics part 1
New Members of the Esoterrics part 2
The Spook House
Cybernetic Queen by Phrozen
Number of Worlds in the Nexus
The Wands
Interesting Character Facts III by Voltron
The Reaperman by Phrozen
The New Order
The Blue Wasp
Death Seeker
Earth-1986 by Libra
Doctor Justice by Mighty Davidson
Earth-1986 notes
Hero Profile: Phoenix Force Seven part 1
The Nature of Science Kung-Fu
Geomancers
Sailor Cosmos by Mighty Davidson
More Earth-1986 notes
Hero Profile: Phoenix Force Seven part 2
Mister Carnae
Fantomax
The Global Army Initiative
The Innocent
The Purists
The Sword of Rock by MightyDavidson
The Grand Multiversal Caliphate
The Netherworld Cartel
Terrasphere
A Scene from the Life of a B-List Superhero by Robertness
JINN
Death Cap by Phrozen
Earth-1986 notes part III by Libra.
Hero Profile: Phoenix Force Seven part 3
Unknown, Unidentified Caller by robertness.
A Day in the Life of Deathseeker
OsaToy SupaFigu Idol Twins by robertness
Superheroes of Earth-1986 by Libra
Bokor
Captain Dredstar and the Solar Pirates by Phrozen
The Scorpion
Earth-1986 Notes part 1 by greycrusader
Murdermaster notes by Libra
The Order Cartoon
Phoenix Force Cartoon by Mighty Davidson
Time Travel in AoW
Golden Age Order Members
Earth-1986 notes part 2 by greycrusader
Earth-1970 by greycrusader
The Silver Century by Libra
Ten Earth-1938 Notes
Hero Profile: Star Chief part 1 by Phrozen
Heroes of Earth-1938
Strongman notes by Libra
Above the Arctic Circle by robertness
The Fictionals
Hero Profile: Seth O'Reilly & Jackson Deveruex by Phrozen
The Strange Saga of JJ Jackson by Libra
Captain Adventure and the Adventure Family
Captain Adventure notes part 1 by Libra
Captain Adventure notes part 2
Interesting Character & Settings Facts IV by Voltron64
Earth Greenworld Notes by greycrusader
Tyrannus
The Extreme!
The Hosts of Tyranny by Libra
Johnny Tesla by Mighty Davidson
The Beast Legions by Libra
The Courageous Coalition
Hero Profile: Star Chief part 2 by Phrozen
Hero Profile: Doctor Justice part 2 by Mighty Davidson
New Members of the Order part 1
The Justice Happening by Libra
Moonatic and Sailor Cosmos' relationship
New Members of the Order part 2
Earth-92 part 1
Madame Mystery and Earth-92 Warning
Earth-92 part 2
The Mighty Elect
Hero Profile: Star Chief part 3 by Phrozen
The Boyfriends of Doctor Justice
The Order meets the Courageous Coalition by Libra.
Square Superheroes on Earth Greenwood by Libra
Earth-92 facts
Alternate Earths in the AOW universe
Hero Profile: Fade part 1
Star Chief's equipment by Phrozen
Mighty Elect Members by Libra
Star Chief stats by Phrozen
THE REPAIRMAN!
Outrageous Order Adventures
Big Ajax (II)
Earth 1986 notes by Libra
Dyson's Sphere
International Arrivals by Robertness
Baron Ironheart
The Sanctity
The Institute notes by Robertness
The Mighty Elect vs. The Sanctity by greycrusader
Star Beacons
The Outrageous Order
Octagon Profile: Dynamus by Libra
Hero Profile: Doctor Justice Part 3 by Mighty Davidson
Captain Jack Carpenter
Octagon Profile: The Professor by Libra
The Dragon Realm by MightyDavidson
Hero Update: The Jade General by Neo Paladin
Old World Thinking vs. New World Thinking
Vanguardeon
Steel Dragon Six Relations by MightyDavidson
Earth-92 notes by greycrusader
Earth-92 notes part 2
Hero Profile: Fade part 2
Kalila of the Swirling Sands by Phrozen
Facts about AoW
More AoW facts
Hero Profile: Fade part 3
Betsy the Wonder Cow by MightyDavidson
Octagon Profile: Dakki by Libra
Wolf Jager by MightyDavidson
Super Dragon Ten
The Revolutionary
Senator Wilson Cage
Professor Proton
Octagon Profile: Queen Nightmoon by Libra
The Deacons Part 1 by greycrusader
Mister and Mrs. Cosmic
Squirrel God
Professor Peril by MightyDavidson
Octagon Profile: Murdermaster by Libra
Deacons Part 2 by greycrusader
Middle Zoth part 1
Middle Zoth part 2
The Octagon on other worlds by Libra
Sailor Abyss by MightyDavidson
Middle Zoth part 3
Cro-Magnus notes by Libra.
Mercy Island update
Cro-Magnus by Libra
Powerhead
Lucretia by Phrozen
Interesting Character & Setting Facts (& Updates) V by Voltron65
Queen Kali by Libra
Moonatic
Pooka
Atomicus by Libra
Executive Eight notes by Libra
Deification in AoW
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am, edited 27 times in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Age of Wonders Thread II

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am

Technology and Science in AoW

The technology level on Earth-0 has seen great advances in the past five years. The discovery of Nexus-travel technology, the release of the Brotherhood of Enlightenment's secrets, sales from the Celestial Commerce Guild, the Phoenix Institute's tireless efforts to push the envelope of science, and ShivaCorp's engineering wonders have made science fiction real. If the world wanted to build a hellicarrier like in the Avengers, it could.

It just wouldn't because it's silly.

Technological saturation is a tricky issue in today's society and that's no different in the Post-Nexus world. The economy is still recovering from the crash during N-day and the constant upheavals brought on by superpowers as well as the presence of otherworldly markets. Governments are unable to keep up with the increasing number of monopolies as whole economies are rearranged based around new discoveries.

In short, this means that the world resembles our technology level in day-to-day life to about 80%. Pocket Computers are even better, holograms like the kind on CSI are finally practical, computers now exist in sunglasses controlled by eye movement (but don't work too well), and CDs will soon be replaced with the Iradio. Wireless internet is omnipresent. Hover cars are being looked at but flying cars would just be helicopters so why bother? It's also possible to put your car on autopilot if you're willing to pay an extra 20,000 for the system.In short, there's a lot of new stuff which really doesn't do things that much better than the things they're replacing but aren't they shiny?

In short, players should feel a little culture shock if they bother to look around. Nothing quite to the point of Back to the Future part 2--yet.

Cybernetics have finally reached the point where they're fully capable of mimicking the body parts they're replacing, which is a staggering benefit to both veterans and accident victims. The culture where people might actually want to start thinking of replacing healthy limbs and tissue with them hasn't developed yet. Indeed, the movement for it is considered even more fringe than it is today due to the fact it might actually be possible soon.

Any cyborgs are either the result of ShivaCorp's technology, reverse-engineered One-Above-All tech, from another reality, or something experimental. That doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't being put into service, though.

Artificial Intelligence is a dicey field because, at present, it is highly illegal. While newscaster Tabitha Winters enjoys all the benefits of Canadian citizenship, the rest of the world's governments see her as a direct threat to their power base. Given she's subtly manipulating the future of the glove with the Anarchitect, they may have a point.

Nevertheless, research into AI is being carried out because the functions of government and economics are more automated than ever. A single AI could potentially change the course of governments and is being researched heavily. In the meantime, "Dummy AI" and "Wetwork AI" is still legal and being researched.

Artificial people are presently a biological field being pursued. It's easier to create a clone and fill it with cybernetics than an android. The technology exists--it's just no one is doing it but your average well-meaning mad scientist.

In general, 90% of Bioroids are created for the purpose you THINK they'd be created for and are highly illegal--but for different reasons than AI.

Due to the presence of ShivaCorp and the One-Above-All's failed invasion, biological sciences have fallen behind technological ones. Despite this, they too have received a massive power boost from the presence of Nexus-based genetic research. Nexi have also changed the face of medicine in many places as well. Healers are highly uncommon but a few hundred means that previously impossible cases are now treatable. Likewise, robotics and better tools means that the pressures on everything from neurosurgery to limb reattachment have gotten a little less pressing.

Disturbingly, the work of mad scientists Doctor Moreau and Doctor Xenograft have actually advanced the field more than hundreds of independent think-tank combined. It has also lead to a feeling in many quarters that unethical research practices will yield better results than slow-moving moral ones. Black Labs have, thus, emerged with governments employing human experimentation and cruel testing in hopes of replicating super-powers. So far, no one has cracked the "Captain America" formula and all of their results have been for naught.

Most "supersoldiers" created are abominations--at best.

NASA has been more or less replaced with MANTIS as the existence of populated alternate realities is considered x10,000,000 times more interesting than the mostly empty recesses of space. Still, even space exploration has benefited from the changing world as the existence of Nexus-based teleportation means they can, theoretically, send probes to any part of the universe they want. Nothing says that this universe is unpopulated--just that other-dimensional life is much closer.

The Celestial Commerce Guild, in particular, has designs on constructing space stations and orbital colonies as well as "bazaars" both the moon and Mars. Earth-0 is, simply put, far too crowded for them to conduct business. A third-party otherworldly trader's guild working on planet's "we" intended to colonize will probably go over like a lead balloon. The CCG has had this fight before on other worlds before, however, and thinks they'll win it.

They may be right.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 am

Wow, it's literally Twenty Minutes into The Future tech.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am

Voltron64 wrote:Wow, it's literally Twenty Minutes into The Future tech.

Yeah, I love Deus Ex but it's not QUITE there yet.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Wow, it's literally Twenty Minutes into The Future tech.

Yeah, I love Deus Ex but it's not QUITE there yet.

I know, it's just filled with beta versions of tech that realistically should've appeared at least a decade or two from now.

Basically the Model-Ts and tiny screened black and white TVs of Cyberpunk.
Last edited by Voltron64 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 am

And also, a common practice for Nexus ships before traversing dimensions is to enter orbit first as a precaution. (Practically all ships are capable of space travel.)

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Just popping in to congratulate you gentlemen on reaching the 100+ pages mark so swiftly; also to wish you a nice vacation wheresoever you happen to be going Charles (you AND Mrs Phipps, to whom you may - nay must! - convey my best wishes). :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Libra wrote:Just popping in to congratulate you gentlemen on reaching the 100+ pages mark so swiftly; also to wish you a nice vacation wheresoever you happen to be going Charles (you AND Mrs Phipps, to whom you may - nay must! - convey my best wishes). :D

Same here.

And Libra, I hope you can tell us about Earth-1986 in the very near future. Not to mention more on Earth-1938. :wink:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Well Earth-1986 in general is next on my schedule, but I'm not quite au fait with all the particulars, as yet.

(In all honesty I might have typed it up and posted it already if I hadn't been advancing my arguments for placing Freedom City in ... well, I'll cut myself short there and suggest you read my 'Not Quite a Blog' in the Sidekicks Lounge if your interest was actually piqued by that vague attempt to pick up more readers!).

In any case, Earth-1986 will be next to come, although the article will probably have as much to do with the history of The Octagon as anything; if that isn't much to your taste, may I ask if there is anything you would particularly like addressed or developed concerning Earth-1938 and/or earth-1986?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Libra wrote:Well Earth-1986 in general is next on my schedule, but I'm not quite au fait with all the particulars, as yet.

(In all honesty I might have typed it up and posted it already if I hadn't been advancing my arguments for placing Freedom City in ... well, I'll cut myself short there and suggest you read my 'Not Quite a Blog' in the Sidekicks Lounge if your interest was actually piqued by that vague attempt to pick up more readers!).

In any case, Earth-1986 will be next to come, although the article will probably have as much to do with the history of The Octagon as anything; if that isn't much to your taste, may I ask if there is anything you would particularly like addressed or developed concerning Earth-1938 and/or earth-1986?

Well, would you agree heavily with this?

Just because they're Four-Color doesn't mean they're stupid or soft. Not to mention possessing as many personality quirks as anybody else.

Plus their Golden Age was more like the works of Roy Thomas than period material to be honest.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 am

I have some free time today.

New Members of the Esoterrics

Serving as the Misfit Isle of Toys for superhumans of an occult nature, the Esoterrics routinely pick up freaks and geeks in equal quantities. Sometimes, this is a good thing. Other times? Not so much.Here's some new members of the team who joined, quit, and turned evil in the meantime.

Members

Stage Magic and Leroy the Puppet: Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone didn't see these two turning on the team coming. It's not like they were subtle about being evil. One's a malevolent puppet and the other one dresses like a second-rate Mandrake the Magician when not cackling manically. Anywho, backstory time. Larry Bilouxi was a frustrated B-list magician performing the absolute nadir of Branson, Missouri's clubs with his brother Leroy the Ventriloquist.

The irony was Leroy was actually quite good and could have gone on to real showbiz success. He had a very entertaining (albeit filthy) comedy act. His brother, on the other hand, was a hack who succeeded mostly by audiences not realizing he was serious.

Unfortunately, Leroy was more inclined to thievery than hard work so he routinely roped Larry into assisting. In this area, Larry showed genuine talent. Then N-Day happened. To make a long story short, Larry got his life-long wish of gaining REAL magic while Leroy was (to quote Spike) turned into a "bloody puppet."

Why anyone thought these two would make good Esoterrics is anyone's guess but they were recruited not long after they took their "show" on the road to deal with "occult problems." In truth, it was an excuse to rob places blind while blaming the supernatural. There was always a genuine supernatural problem to blame, mostly because they summoned one. The Esoterrics believed their claims right up until the point Trash Heap caught them summoning a Daemonite to cover up an attempt to make off with a bank's safety deposit box.

Needless to say, they were expelled.

The two have a sociopathic co-dependent relationship they exploit to the nth degree. Leroy constantly attempts to play his "curse" for sympathy while Larry claims Leroy intimidates him with threats of violence to do evil things. In truth, the two need each other as much as two people can.

Leroy isn't too happy about being a puppet but is fine as long as he's able to drink a quart of scotch every night. Likewise, Larry could turn his brother back tomorrow (or into seven notes of music for that matter) but needs Leroy to give him direction.

Trash Heap: Parish Priest Marcus Vaughn was always determined to do the right thing, even if meant getting himself defrocked for bringing to light church scandals.

No, not that one. Though, he WOULD have if he'd known.

Marcus ended up working in a community soup kitchen when he found out about a group of drug-dealers selling highly addictive Nexus-based products (courtesy of Los Angeles supervillain Big Dog). The dealers, not particularly religious shot him before dumping him in a storm-sewer choked with refuse.

Marcus Vaughn transformed that night, merging his Hungry Ghost with his latent Nexus abilities and the slime of the city around him. The Order, notably, had just had a fight in that area where Fox fire had been wounded too. Whatever the case, Marcus Vaughn became one with the garbage of the city and transformed himself into the world's first trash elemental. He can form an avatar wherever there is garbage and pollution--which more or less means that he can appear anywhere on Earth at any time.

Trash Heap worked on the edges of civilization for most of the past two years, protecting people who didn't have any defenses. While being a mountain of garbage didn't exactly make him a formidable opponent--it helped he was immortal. Destroying Trash Heap's physical body was an inconvenience he could heal from in three days.

Gee, symbolism much?

He's curiously okay with his present form even as everyone whose talked to him believes he's in denial. Marcus was recruited into the Esoterrics when dealing with a group of vampire slavers that managed to capture his spirit with magic.

Marcus communicates with telepathy, though his voice has somehow taken on the quality of a fifty year old smoker. Marcus' sincere religious faith and continued desire to act as a priest despite his defrocking have annoyed
his fellow Esoterrics on numerous occasions--particularly those of pagan or irreligious bent.

Random Factoid: He had a bizarre resemblance to Shepard Book from Firefly while alive.

Werewolf: Yeah, real original naming there, Steve. Steve Hunter became a werewolf after being bitten by his dog on N-Day. No, it doesn't make a lick of sense and he doesn't care. Steve, immediately, presented himself as a supernatural occult detective and has done his absolute best to be famous ever since. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Steve has been passed over repeatedly by the GRE and other agencies. Partially, this is because he has no stage presence.

Nothing turns off audiences by someone telling them how awesome they are. At least the way Steve does it.

Werewolf joined the Esoterrics after being rejected by the Order (due to Mister King putting a cat in his locker followed by him screaming like a little girl) then failing to join the Extreme (he was voted off during the first round of tryouts).

He, immediately, got into trouble with every other member due to his inability to keep his mouth shut and desire to hit on everything that moved. He's actually had a limited amount of success in that later respect because he's handsome. Dumb as a post but handsome. Just don't expect much in terms of conversation.

Werewolf finally decided to up and quit due to the Blue Centurions forming. He figured they were more his scene.

Not to mention offending every woman on the team three times over.

Now if he could only get them to return his calls.

Ironically, werewolf isn't a complete failure as a hero. Just mostly. Imagine Booster Gold and Johnny Storm's frat brother and you have a rough idea of his ethics. Werewolf has some standards, not many, but some. It's why he doesn't hang around with Adonis--who he considers a "D-bag."

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:11 am

I can see Werewolf and Grendel developing a rivalry.

Plus, who are the Extreme? I imagine they're some kind of superhero team built off Reality TV?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 am

They're sort of the inverse Negaverse opposites of their dopplegangers in HED!

While the ones in HED! are evil, the Extreme are just the superheroes who don't do anything.

This would be harmless enough if not for the fact that it's a cover for the Organization kidnapping and brainwashing tryouts.

Not to mention getting supremely powerful and talented superheroes to sit on their butts.

Here's Werewolf's tryout for the Order, FYI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUP4Kddqgc
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 am

Charles Phipps wrote:They're sort of the inverse Negaverse opposites of their dopplegangers in HED!

While the ones in HED! are evil.

The Extreme are just the superheroes who don't do anything. Which would be harmless enough if not for the fact that it's a cover for the Organization kidnapping and brainwashing tryouts.

Not to mention getting supremely powerful and talented superheroes to sit on their butts.

Who thought up that plan? Because that is actually pretty damn clever.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:17 am

The Divine Leader.

I know!

Who knew!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”