Coming in Fall of 2009 --- Halt Evil Doer Second Edition!

The only place to discuss Super-Powered by M&M products.
dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dirkgentry2000 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 pm

We really loved Halt Evil Doer! and a lot of our fans loved it too.

BUT --- while it was a popular PDF, it had the flaws expected of a group of gifted amateurs making their first attempt at a professional product.

And so, the time has come to announce:

Halt Evil Doer Second Edition!

The new edition is the result of a couple of years experience in the professional market and a whole new writing, artistic, and development team.

We've taken everything that people loved about Halt Evil Doer! and updated it to be something that will be able to stand against the most professionally developed settings of today.

Fans of the original can expect all of the material that was presented in the first work. However, the original material will compromise less than half of the new and expanded work.

:arrow: New characters, new societies, new powers, new feats, and updates to previously neglected sections of the globe.
:arrow: Fans of the original will find that certain characters seen dramatic changes.Halt Evil Doer is a 'living' setting. All of it's superheroes and villains age in real time. It's been over a year since the release of Halt Evil Doer and it's going to be quite the change for some of them.
:arrow: New ART! Alongside the original outstanding images from Mancerbear, there will be new art in HED! 2nd Ed from a variety of Superlink artists -- including from DMAC and Jon Gibbons.

Halt Evil Doer Revised will be a total update on all the characters, settings, and ideas of the original setting with new spins and incorporation of recent events into the ever-changing timeline.

Look for it in Autumn on 2009!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Here's a bit of sample fiction.

"Metas go home!"
"Metas go home!"
"Metas go home!"

The roaring of the crowd outside of the Genesis Island embassy was deafening. The group of human bigots that were determined to protest the recent research into cures for 'Metas Only' diseases was numbering in the better part of a thousand. It was disheartening to know that this group was less than a tenth that was massed outside of Capital Hill.

On the inside of the Genesis Island embassy, there was an unusual collection of individuals holding an impromptu meeting. The Red King was not wearing his usual Imperial attire. Instead, Cassius Mass had dressed himself in a plain brown business suit. He was to address the international community regarding the necessity for civilized nations to research the Decimator Virus that was targeting not only Meta-humans but the people who had the potential to birth them or sire them.

Beside Cassius was the much more abnormal looking figure of General Venom. General Venom was in his full military attire. His uniform invoked the American flag but was unique to the House of Serpents. Cassius Mass knew that General Venom was a handsome human being underneath his armor but he rarely let anyone see his true face anymore. Instead, all they saw was his red hood that resembled an executioner's mask.

"It irritates me that I could simply fly over the lot of them and destroy them all," The Red King muttered as he took a deep breath and rubbed his temples. "Or I could seize their will and turn it from hatred to pacifism. I might even incite them to a bloody riot so I could be justified in slaying them all."

General Venom spoke in a strong and statesman-like tone. "Then you would simply be playing into the hands of those that despise you. When we first met, you were a cut-rate terrorist who was blindly striking out at the institutions of the United States. Now, you're the leader of a nation and have international credibility. Blindly lashing out now will only hurt your cause in the long run."

"This coming from the man who could have been President of the United States after he exposed Nixon," Cassius gnashed his teeth and considered striking out at General Venom with his empathic powers. He decided against it. Jack Washington Junior would almost certainly shrug it off. Individuals like him and Death Mask III were too strong willed to have their emotions easily controlled. General Venom was like the snake he idolized, cold blooded and severe.

General Venom didn't respond immediately. It was a topic that was central to his existence. Why had Jack Washington Junior, the Golden Boy of America, transformed himself from patriot to terrorist? No one had an answer to that question, not even those closest to General Venom. The former Steel Commando was always coy with information.

"There is a time for words and there is a time for swords," General Venom finally answered him. "The rot that afflicted America went far deeper than Richard Milhouse Nixon. The individuals outside show that the same civil rights issues that wracked my country during the years I grew up, are still a problem. They've only changed form. If I had taken over the Presidency of the United States after Nixon, I would have become part of the system that needs to be torn down. Instead, America must be reshaped so that it can truly live up to the ideals of the Founding Fathers."

The Red King rolled his eyes at the self-righteousness that was a hallmark of every conversation with General Venom. "I remind you that the Founding Fathers included slave owners. They also denied the right of franchise to everyone but men who looked like them and owned property. Ideals don't mean anything in this world. The homo sapien scum out there only respects force. Even if some of them, like your successor and Black Wing, might rise above it...."

General Venom raised a hand. "Let's not bring up the Patriots. Or the Tomorrow Society. There are misguided idealists in the world who are willing to fight and die to protect a society that is not worth saving. I admire their passionate devotion to their cause but we must harden our hearts to their foolishness."

"They do serve some purpose," Cassius had to admit. "Many of the groups I oppose have been discredited because Divinos stands as strongly against them as he does the Gene Nation. While the war between Metas and Humans is inevitable, they have undoubtedly managed to delay it for a number of years. Possibly decades."

General Venom shook his head ruefully. "I don't believe in an America that will differentiate between those with powers and those without them. When the day of your war comes, Cassius, I'll be there to stop you and the bigots you claim are at the heart of the United States. Until then, let us cooperate."

The pair of them then walked over to a miniaturized model of Washington D.C. All of the buildings were painstakingly recreated to scale and there were numerous figures representing the amount of traffic expected for the day of the attack.

"Is the modified Decimator Virus ready?" General Venom asked his partner in crime.

"Yes," Cassius answered him. "I've prepared it to affect regular humans but die out quickly after the initial infection. The country's leaders will be forced to donate billions to researching the Virus, when they see their own aides and mistresses dying before their eyes."

General Venom nodded. "And then we'll lead the Foundation for World Harmony to evidence that P.H.A.N.T.O.M is responsible. My people will ride the tide of public sentiment to guarantee a super-majority in the Senate. After which point, the House of Serpents will rule the nation."

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am

:shock:

Halt Evil Doer enters it's second edition?

Awesomesauce!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re:

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Libra wrote::shock:

Halt Evil Doer enters it's second edition?

Awesomesauce!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep, we're going to be changing a lot around with Halt Evil Doer! 2nd Edition.

We're going to be incorporating some backstory from the HED! thread, the choicest bits of course, but we're not going to be too constrained by it. So fans of the HED! thread and those who haven't followed it will both have elements that they're going to enjoy.

I agree with a comment from George Lucas that "Movies are never finished, they're just abandoned" and apply it to RPGs. I really like the original HED! edition but I think that there's a lot to be said for retooling the concept considerably. The original HED! was very effective at its stated goals but the Second Edition will correct some serious errors that I felt needed handling.

* The book was too short for a full fledged campaign setting at 180 pages.

* The Tomorrow Society, our X-men analogues, were criminally underdeveloped for a Marvel-esque setting. The X-men are one of the most iconic groups in Marvel and their HED! analogues receive almost no space.

* Not nearly enough art for a book that is about a primarily visual based medium.

* It could have used a bit more editing to make the writing smoother.

* Some of the original characters (Cybercrook, Doctor Necros, The Gargoyle) are just outright bland and don't really stand in comparison up to characters like Death Mask III and General Venom.

* The cities and space situation are too short to give any real useful information to player characters who want to play there.

I think HED 1.0 was incredibly well received and is one of the best Superlink products released, which doesn't mean that the other works haven't included some really great material but I think we can set the bar even higher for HED 2.0 and it will be the start of a full fledged new release schedule.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Coming in Fall of 2009 --- Halt Evil Doer Second Edition!

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:01 am

Here's an image from HED 2.0. Specifically, that if Ymir the Radioactive Viking. The Scourge of Valhalla, the man who goes toe-to-toe with Frankenstein, and the one individual in the world that the cruel Donar fears to battle man-to-man.

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dirkgentry2000 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 am

just a note - that art was done by Darren Calvert - aka DMAC. Nice job too, IMHO

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

That almost goes without saying - it's easy to recognise Master Calvert's sheer exuberence in his inks and awesome works without his signature.

I must say that with YMIR - THE RADIOACTIVE VIKING! DMAC really has surpassed himself (even more so than usual!).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Here's a picture by Dave Anderson, specifically that of the Red Queen. The Leader of the Tomorrow Society and mistress of the magical arts!

PhelanMahoney
Hero
Hero

Postby PhelanMahoney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 am

nice enough, but I'm waiting for print.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 am

PhelanMahoney wrote:nice enough, but I'm waiting for print.

Halt Evil Doer 2.0 will be released more or less simultaneously with the PDF version. However, one thing to note that it is going to be a 210 page or so work. As such, in order to keep the price reasonably low, the print version is going to be B&W while the color version will only be available in PDF format.

Phipps Gaming Studios ascribes by the philosophy that Gamers are, by and large, poor hobbyists. In a time of economic crunch like it is, its important that we focus on producing cheap $30 B&W paperback "more bang for your buck" material that gamers can actually AFFORD to buy than 49.99 hardbacked color material that is effectively double the price.

Part of this philosophy also is that Phipps Gaming Studios also adopts the belief that PDFs should be genuinely cheaper than the physical copies to the point that you can actually afford to buy both. As such, we're continuing our "Recession Sale" that we started with Winterweir. Our PDFs will be marked down to more than half the cost of the physical book.

Which I think is the kind of bargain that gamers can get behind.

Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Prof.Dogg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Will those of us who just recently purchased the 1st edition receive a free or discounted copy of the 2nd?
Saving the world one NPC at a time...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Prof.Dogg wrote:Will those of us who just recently purchased the 1st edition receive a free or discounted copy of the 2nd?

That was the deal for Hed 1.5 but I should point out that very little of the original book will honestly remain by that time. This isn't a remake but an entirely new edition with 80+ more pages, most of the existing character descriptions changed, and a substantial number of updates to islands and locations.

Still, I'm not entirely adverse to the idea of discounts. Just note that the new & improved expanded PDF isn't going to cost any more than the $15 original.

PhelanMahoney
Hero
Hero

Postby PhelanMahoney » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 am

Hmmm, where do I get print versions? Do you have a Lulu store?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 am

PhelanMahoney wrote:Hmmm, where do I get print versions? Do you have a Lulu store?

Easy mistake to make but no, we actually will have our print copies available for purchase from regular role-playing game stores and internet RPG sites like Paizo. Also, it'll be available at Amazon.com. Look at Winterweir for an example.

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/phip ... e=preorder
http://www.amazon.com/Winterweir-Charle ... 111&sr=8-1

Return to “Super-Powered by M&M”