S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Post by Shock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:46 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:I do look forward to the explanation of Coulson's "death" and return. Life Model Decoy seems a bit too easy of an explanation, but I guess for the casual fans, it would be something different.
They did explain it. He was technically dead for a few seconds and then revived. I thought that was pretty much the end of the story.
Kyle wrote:Also, the show looks really cheap as compared to the films. I know it's not really fair to expect a television show to have the same production value as a Summer blockbuster, but it makes me concerned for what sort of limitations they'll have to deal with as the show goes on. As soon as Coulson's car drove up the ramp, I knew it would be a classic shield flying car and got really excited when the wheels started to turn down at the very end, but then it just kinda hovers along as opposed to flying into the air. If they can't even manage to make the car fly for the pilot, I don't think that's a good sign.
There's no extra expense involved with CGI-ing the car up in the air as opposed to hovering just over the ground. It's much more likely that they just didn't want it to fly.

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Devastation Bob » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 am

Phil Coulson, Phineas Horton....am I stretching too much there?
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:24 am

Shock wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:I do look forward to the explanation of Coulson's "death" and return. Life Model Decoy seems a bit too easy of an explanation, but I guess for the casual fans, it would be something different.
They did explain it. He was technically dead for a few seconds and then revived. I thought that was pretty much the end of the story.
There was a follow up exchange after Coulson left, along the lines of "He doesn't know?" "He can never know..."

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Post by badpenny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 am

I think Coulson is an LMD. Something about that exchange about Tahiti and he can never be told the truth....

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by The_Watchman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:28 am

I enjoyed the show quite a bit and have long since gotten over the quirks of Mutant Enemy's Buffyspeak approach to everything, but seriously, the sheer number of mysteries was getting absurd even for a spy show. JJ Abrams and Damon Lindeloff think you're overdoing it guys.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by Kit » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 am

I thought it was sufficiently fun
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:26 am

badpenny wrote:I think Coulson is an LMD. Something about that exchange about Tahiti and he can never be told the truth....
Really? That was your give away? Mine was when the door was blasted off the van & he matrixes under the blow... Backwards... Kind of a give away, all things considered.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Post by witchfire » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 am

saint_matthew wrote:
badpenny wrote:I think Coulson is an LMD. Something about that exchange about Tahiti and he can never be told the truth....
Really? That was your give away? Mine was when the door was blasted off the van & he matrixes under the blow... Backwards... Kind of a give away, all things considered.
the blasting door van hapenned way after the Tahiti exchange .
it only confirms most people suspicions
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Post by savijmuhdrox » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 am

saint_matthew wrote:
I saw that too. My wife was the first to think he was a robot (she quick) but I couldn't come up with Life Model Decoy.. I kept thinking he was going to be Vision.. which is dumb.

But now that y'all mention it, I think LMD is probably the best possibility.

I thought the show was fun and engaging, though I think it may take some flack for its mostly white cast. It had it's easter eggs (Care to join us on our Journey Into Mystery?) and Agent Coulson is a hoot.

We were entertained and will be tuning in for more.
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 am

Everyone's assuming LMD, so I'm going to go with brainwashed Skrull.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Post by badpenny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:46 am

Whatever they decide re: Coulson is fine. If he's an LMD, cool. If he survived the attack, I'm good with that, too.

Since this takes place in the movie franchise universe, I'd like them to bring in other elements of the [print] Marvel canon. Hydra's around from the Cap movie. I think AIM would make a great foil for a SHIELD TV show. It's probably too much to hope to see MODOK, but even just a mention, or a still picture, or something.... (Lurv me some MODOK!) :D

I'm unclear on what movie studios currently own the rights to Marvel characters. I think Sony still has Spidey, so the SHIELD show will probably never mention him. Has Paramount given up on DD? With his low-cost SFX, he'd make a great TV character, but of course they'd want to reserve him for a movie franchise and the hoped-for big bucks. Don't understand why they couldn't run Luke and Danny up the proverbial flagpole and see who salutes. If they get positive feedback, they could use the show as a testing ground for new movie franchises.

The pilot was okay. I hope they do something interesting with the show.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

badpenny wrote:Whatever they decide re: Coulson is fine. If he's an LMD, cool.
Yeah that is cool.... I mean it WAS cool when they did it in Invincible... You know, when the right hand man to the guy who runs the worlds supers program dies & is replaced by a cyborg who wasn't aware that he was a cyborg... Is this what that awkward moment is like when two women come to the party wearing the same dress? :roll:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bladewind » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

Except an organization like SHIELD giving the same security clearance as a top agent to an LMD, android or whatever else wrankles.

And I really found it early to drop that wad of a line "He can never know" this early in the series.

As for his MAtrix moves, go to YouTube and watch the Marvel Oneshot "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor`s Hammer." I think that scene was just meant to show us that Phil is badass...

Personally, I found it to be a reasonably good pilot, and it showed itself as a pilot. I will watch at least a few episodes to see where their focus goes...

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Mr Mole » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Not bad for a pilot. There's potential. I was jazzed to see Ron Glass make an appearance, as I didn't realize he was going to have a part in this series.

My current wild Coulson resurrection theory is that "Tahiti" is Valhalla, from which Odin saw fit to return him to Earth and Coulson's memory was swiss-cheesed. "It's a magical place" (a phrase Coulson repeated a couple times) and the physical therapist (likely a Valkyrie) who didn't speak english vaguely fit. That, and Coulson died in battle (fighting Loki himself, no less). It is, admittedly, only a wild theory... :mrgreen:

Then again, he could just be an LMD.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Sidious » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Mr Mole wrote:My current wild Coulson resurrection theory is that "Tahiti" is Valhalla, from which Odin saw fit to return him to Earth and Coulson's memory was swiss-cheesed. "It's a magical place" (a phrase Coulson repeated a couple times) and the physical therapist (likely a Valkyrie) who didn't speak english vaguely fit. That, and Coulson died in battle (fighting Loki himself, no less). It is, admittedly, only a wild theory... :mrgreen:

Then again, he could just be an LMD.
Yeah I'm going with the LMD theory. it just seems to fit better and is more vested in SHIELD lore. Kinda like Lola.

The show has potential, I just hope the keep Jeph Loeb far enough away from it so he doesn't sink it like Heroes.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.