Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Please split up Roll Call in two.

Tell us what you think of this site, request features, make suggestions, or let us know what you would have done differently. We'll always listen to what you have to say, and sometimes we'll even change things accordingly!

Please split up Roll Call in two.

Postby Stormknight » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 am

I have a suggestion to somehow split the Roll Call in two parts, one for posting original characters developed by the poster, and one for the endless amounts of writing up Marvel/DC toons.

I like to read both, but the way it is now, it's almost impossible to find any threads of the first type, as they get drowned in the second type.
Stormknight
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Vorokoth » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:08 am

I think this is a good idea.
Vorokoth
Hireling
Hireling

Postby The Trapster » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:32 am

Good basic idea. But in execution and recon of all the characters already posted... :(

Hard to find originals But the Marvel/DC/other PRO characters is just SEARCHing for a name. 8)
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.
The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:04 am

I can dig that it's a pain in the bum, but I'd really appreciate this.
I'm kind of intrigued with original characters and seeing what others are doing, and I just feel the Roll Call forum's being swamped in 'Let me list all the anime/cartoon/comic book/tv/movie characters I know, oh and here are some stats I made up' posts.
Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Ezram » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 pm

This is actually a pretty good idea.
Ezram
Hero
Hero

Postby Khantalas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:06 am

Sadly, there are several threads that have both conversions and originals (J-Mart being one), so this is incredibly difficult to implement.
"I once had lots of friends. They gave me gifts like a word that means hope and despair at the same time and sands to season meals and a castle made out of nothing but stories. I wonder where I left them?"
Khantalas
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:01 am

Well, I think the mods could easily create a new Roll Call forum, probably called (Conversions), rename the original (Original Designs), and at that point leave it up to the regular posters to create new index threads in each one that point to the correct writeups. It's not feasible to expect the mods to groom the forums and sort the posts, but they could provide the structure that allows the members to do it themselves.
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.
daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Please split up Roll Call in two.

Postby roguescribner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

Whatever happened to this idea? I like it.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Wasabi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm

GOOD idea (overlooked) not like you really want to know what we prefer you will do what you want anyway ~Shame on you GREEN RONIN~
~ Wasabi ~
Essentially not everyone can be a hero because some people need saving. And someone needs to be the guy to save the civilians from.
Wasabi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:59 pm

I know no one probably wants to do the work to split the threads up, especially those with high page counts. How feasible would it be to create the two forums and give the thread creators 90 days to make the split themselves? A new Originals thread could be created and a new DC/Marvel (etc.) thread could be created and all of the other threads are closed. Everyone has 90 days to port their stuff over to the new threads before the old threads get archived/deleted.

If the original poster isn't around I'm sure someone else will step in to help out. So there would be a transition period to be sure but the end result would be a nicely organized and easily indexed area everyone can search with ease. All the mods would have to do is split the forum and close some threads. The rest of it would be on us.

Of course, feedback from the users that this would most impact would be prudent before any such measures are taken.
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Dirigible » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Whatever happened to this idea? I like it.

How on earth would it be enforced/maintained? And where do you draw the line between 'official' and 'original'?
Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby roguescribner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Read my post right above yours. I offered my idea about to make the split and maintain it.

And it's obvious where the line is drawn: if the character is based upon other source material (books, movies, TV, comics, etc.) then it's not an original creation.
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Dirigible » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Uh, yeah, that's what I was responding to.

Asking people with 400 pages of builds to divide them into indistinct categories to satisfy your tastes doesn't seem workable to me.
Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby daniel_ream » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Oh, it's perfectly workable. Split the forum in two, inform everyone they have 90 days to comply, lock their threads and threaten to delete them if they don't categorize them in time. Perfectly workable.

It's just that the most likely consequence is that the entire community rises up as one and tars and feathers the fool who suggested it for being a presumptuous ass, is all.

(Okay, okay, more likely everyone just says "screw you" and goes somewhere else, thus killing the Roll Call forum permanently.)
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.
daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Dirigible » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 pm

That would be my concern, yah.

The internet: treating things given to them for free as a divine right since '68.
Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Next

Return to Suggestion Box