Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paragraph Breaks

Tell us what you think of this site, request features, make suggestions, or let us know what you would have done differently. We'll always listen to what you have to say, and sometimes we'll even change things accordingly!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Paragraph Breaks

Postby CourtFool » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

Use them.

I apologize now for coming off as a grammar nazi. I do not claim to be perfect. I am not expecting others to be.

I assume, since you posted, that you want me to read it. Or someone¹. Be nice to your prospective readers and they will be more likely to invest time in your writing. One of the most fundamental ways to do that is to include paragraph breaks.

Not everyone cares. Not everyone is going to be as picky as this stuck up llama, but do you really want to take the chance? There are plenty of other reasons for any prospective reader to pass your post by. Why add another one?

Here are some simple rules to keep in mind.

Start a new paragraph every 3-5 sentences. When you begin a new line of thinking or a new argument, start a new paragraph. If you really think all 30 some sentences absolutely must be in the same paragraph, you seriously need to re-read your post and verify you are not saying the same thing over and over again². Efficiency trumps verbosity.

That is all.

¹See? Breaking grammar rules myself.
²Run on sentence anyone?
¡Vive el llama!
CourtFool
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Paragraph Breaks

Postby RogerWilco » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

I agree with you. It always amazes me how bad the writing style, grammar and spelling is on forums that are mainly populated by Americans writing in their native tongue. Even such simple things as switching on the spell checker in their browser apparently eludes most people.

English is a foreign language to me, but I often see native speakers make mistakes that I haven't made since I was in my early teens. Things like their/they're/there and similar errors amaze me.

By the way, how do you make the superscripts and foot notes?
D&D 2/3/3.5 veteran + SmallVille fan => Mutants and Masterminds newbie
If I seem to misunderstand you, please know that English is not my first language and I do not live in the USA but in Europe.
Member of gaming community The Conclave
RogerWilco
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Paragraph Breaks

Postby CourtFool » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 pm

I usually type my posts in a word editor before posting and then cut and paste. In MS Word, click on Insert | Symbol…, then scroll down to the special characters and pick superscript number. Copy and paste it to manually create the footer.
¡Vive el llama!
CourtFool
Disciple
Disciple

Return to Suggestion Box