The Shadow Knows!

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

The Shadow Knows!

Postby The Shadow » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:08 pm

I thought I'd write up the Shadow's first night out in many a real-life year. The campaign is done over the phone starting at 9 PM on Tuesdays, so we can't get a whole lot done at one sitting. (And this first time, we had other things to discuss for the first half hour, too.) Even so, I had a lot of fun! If there's interest, I'd consider continuing the saga.

The setting, and the Shadow himself, are described in "LA Under Shadow" on the Settings board.

-----------------------------------

Alex strode purposefully toward the base. A Friday night, and David had asked permission to stay out late with the gang watching movies and eating pizza. They'd made an early start of it - he should be able to get a lot done. Perhaps he'd be able to get a lead on those mysterious black cars.

Long, pricey, and with tinted windows, they'd been causing a lot of talk on the street of late - talk that gave the Shadow pause. They weren't the first group to try to muscle in on the power vacuum he and the Forbidden had left in the area, but the first to use tactics like these. Local underworld leaders would get taken for a ride, in which the benefits of mutual cooperation were supposedly discussed. Upon their return, they would be... different. Colder, more purposeful... and, the Shadow had found to his shock, with a mental shield about their memories that was difficult to pierce. They didn't seem to have it in for him personally, so he was at a loss to decide what it was all about.

Worse yet, when he'd seen one of the cars himself last week, it had registered blank to his inner sight - something that shouldn't be possible, unless robot cars had been suddenly perfected. He'd tried getting a better fix on it by sending out a pulse of psychic energies, but got only that whatever was in the car was even blanker than empty space. To say he didn't like it was an understatement.

Alex ghosted into the building, went down the steps, and let the Shadow take over as he put on his hat. The lights were out... oh, right, he was early. Carlos would still be sleeping. He put on his cloak quietly and checked his weapons. Should he wait?

Nah. He'd been getting spoiled lately, with all the commlinks and security systems and even Garrity's latest toy, a hovercycle immune to radar (among other features). A night out on foot would be like old times, and perhaps keep his edge from being blunted.

He left a note on the keyboard, "Went out on my own," and suited actions to words. Sticking relatively close to the base, it was a quiet night, save for a loud domestic disturbance down the block. He waited to see if it would get violent; when it didn't, and the husband stormed out in a huff to go get his drink, he dismissed it as not worth his time.

While patrolling, one of those cars came motoring past - blank as ever to his mindsight. He tried "pinging" it again... and his flesh crept when it slowed down and stopped. He stepped back into an alleyway - if they could sense his regard, perhaps they could sense other things... after an interminable time, the car powered up again and moved on.

The Shadow eyed it in frustration as it sped away, unable to give effective pursuit. "Nostalgia has its limitations," he muttered as he memorized the license plate.

Keeping an eye peeled for members of his network, he caught sight of Hands stepping out of a bar to go to the john. Perfect.

"Malone." The man started badly. "Who's there!" The Shadow did the chuckle, throaty and rich with mockery. "I would think you'd be used to me by now, Malone. The Shadow knows!" He permitted Hands to see him, then, and the man's face spasmed.

"Shadow, I, uh, what do you want to know?" "Everything, Malone. Everything. But especially about these black cars. You know the ones I mean."

Malone spilled his guts feverishly while the Shadow slipped into the upper reaches of his mind to help spot evasions and the like. The man's hatred for him washed over him, overmatched only by his gut-wrenching terror. "Nobody knows much about them. They invite you for a ride, cut you a deal, and you're not quite the same when you get back. Hell, this one guy with the Blue Stars swore he'd never go with them, but he went meek as a lamb when they came! They say he's making money hand over fist now, but, you know, ain't quite the guy he was." "Who says?" "I don't know! People."

"Who else is in with them around here?" "The biggest guy around here would be Carlos. You know, El Bandito of the Red Shivs?"

The Shadow filed that away and handed the man a ten dollar bill. "Anything else?" A variety of things flashed through the man's mind in a panic, including an imperfectly-hidden reference to a crime he'd committed recently. That brought an unpleasant smile. "You've been a good boy lately, haven't you Malone?" "YES!" Hands squeaked. "I even turned down a B&E job recently!" "And why was that?" "I wanted to take it, but I knew what you'd -" "You lie poorly, Malone. The Shadow knows!"

"All RIGHT! I was all set to buy a whore that night!" The Shadow tsked. "Malone, Malone, Malone..." Defensively, the young man said, "I didn't break the law THAT much, it wasn't something BIG..." "Never mind that. What else do you have for me?" He watched Hands come to a decision. "There's these other guys around..." The Shadow was amused to discover the man's fervent hope that they and the Shadow would manage to do each other in. "Go on."

Malone shivered. "There's just something WRONG with them! No, wait... wrong with their suitcases." He seemed puzzled. "Their suitcases?" the Shadow prompted. "I don't know how to describe it... I just now remembered. They're just guys, big guys, dressed a little classy for the street, you know? I don't know what they're out doing. But they've got these big aluminum suitcases, and somehow I forgot all about them. They just... look really weird. They give me the creeps!"

"Interesting," the Shadow observed, "now be a good boy and don't fight." He went deeper into Hands' mind. The man stiffened as he caught on to what was happening, looking ready to bolt. The Shadow examined the memory, but there was little more there than what Hands had told him. As long as he was in there anyway, he followed the associations of that earlier hint of crime, and found a small-time break-in Hands had done in a company's cafeteria vending machines.

"All right, Malone. That was most interesting." He held out another couple tens, then pulled them back when Hands reached out for them. "Anything else you'd care to confess?" "No..." The Shadow smiled nastily, "What about the vending machine job a couple weeks ago?" Hands' face curdled and he moaned in fright as the Shadow gently pushed him up against the wall.

"It isn't nice to steal other people's money, Malone," the Shadow observed in deceptively mild tones. The man was still speechless, so the Shadow went on, "I think an anonymous donation to that company is in order, don't you? With a little extra thrown in for the damage to their locks." Malone nodded frantically in approval. "I'm so glad you agree," the Shadow noted, as he patted the man's cheek and tucked the tens in his jacket pocket.

As he turned to go, the Shadow paused and asked, "Malone, have you ever TRIED to get a legitimate job?" "Yes! But... they don't seem to want me." He got in reply only a snort of contempt and an acidic, "I can't imagine why..."

After leaving Malone, the Shadow heard the telltale rustlings that meant Carlos was putting in his commlink and coming on-line. "Good morning, Mr. Castaneda. I trust you slept well." "Evening, sir. Yeah. Why didn't you wake me?" "Nostalgia. What have we got on the Blue Stars and the Red Shivs?" Carlos' innocent voice responded, "One's Crips and the other's Bloods?" earning a dry, "Thank you, Carlos, I couldn't possibly have figured that out without your help." Carlos added, "The Shivs have a thing for knives..." then gave it up when he saw the Shadow wasn't buying any. "While you're at it, run this license plate number. Big black stretch model."

Tappity-tappity-tappity, he heard faintly through the commlink. "The car's supposed to be a brown Suburban - must be a stolen plate. We don't have much on the Blue Stars in the database, they seem to be one of the newer splinter groups. They don't have anything near your current location, sir. We have a little on the Red Shivs and El Bandito." "What have they got nearby?" "There's the crackhouse on 18th..."

"It's back already?!" the Shadow said incredulously. He'd cleaned the place out thoroughly not a month ago. "You know what they say, sir - supply and demand." "We'll see about that!"

Annoyance warred with a warm sense of satisfaction as the Shadow surveyed the place. Bars on the windows, deadbolts on the doors, guards posted all around the place... you'd think they were afraid of something, imagine that. "At times, a reputation has its rewards," he said to Carlos. "I'll have to come back sometime soon and give Garrity's new 'Shaolin Doohickey' a try, he'll like that - and no doubt it'll give the Shivs something to talk about for a while. But for now... I suppose finding El Bandito and the black cars is the top priority."

Most of the guards were in pairs, but there was one all by his lonesome at one of the corners. The Shadow tsked - poor planning, these gang members have never been the sharpest knives in the drawer, whatever they call themselves. He leveled his gun at the hapless young man (noting with minute discomfort that he was barely David's age, if that) and spread his invisibility over him, meanwhile letting him see through the illusion so he didn't realize he was invisible. This, of course, had the side effect of letting him see the Shadow.

The boy tensed, his jaw going slack in shock. "Keep your hands where I can see them," the Shadow warned as he approached. "You're not the Shadow!" the boy blurted out, "The Shadow can't be spotted!" That worthy suppressed a grin - yes, he did have a reputation with this gang - and did the chuckle, spreading it out into a malicious laugh. "All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you." Close enough now to reach out and touch, he added, "And you are going to tell me what I wish to know."

The laugh did it. The boy froze like a rabbit caught in headlights. My word, the cloaked crusader thought, I didn't even have to "push" fear at him to do that. Shrugging, he plunged into the lad's mind, keeping the gun leveled on his chest.

Aloud, he asked, "Tell me about the black cars," meanwhile reading the associations and responses that leapt up mentally. But he had to wrestle with the boy's raw inner strength, greater than he'd guessed. [Yes, I was rolling incredibly badly that night, and the GM was blessed by the dice gods.] For a moment, the gang member got the upper hand, seeking to know what the Shadow's plans were. The truth - that he wanted information and wasn't planning on killing him YET - did not do much to assuage fear.

Enough of this! He pointed the gun directly between the boy's eyes and said mildly, "I suggest you play nice," but to his astonishment realized he'd made a misstep - the boy actually feared mental invasion more than death! His revulsion for it was overpowering - with a moan, he tried to bolt, gun or no.

The Shadow swept his legs out from under him, then pinned him to the ground. [Finally, some decent rolls!] Twisting the boy's arm up behind his back and holding the gun to his temple, he said, "If you don't tell me what I wish to know, or if you lie, I will have to go into your mind again. You'll like it even less the second time." "I'll tell you anything!" "Where is Carlos?" "At the Hangout, man!" A local arcade, popular among certain shady circles. "What do you know about the black cars?" "Carlos is the only one who talks to them! He said we'd make a lot more money!" "And have you?" the Shadow inquired scornfully. "I dunno!" "What about the men with the suitcases?" "Huh?! You mean the couriers...?" He knew nothing.

During this time, the hapless gangbanger's comrades noticed his "absence" from his post, and started coming to see what the trouble was. The Shadow cursed silently, and rapidly dipped into the boy's mind to erase the substance of his questions so as not to tip El Bandito off to his next move. It took longer than he expected, too long. The other gang members were on him by then, and they had guns out. He let the boy become visible to give them something to think about, then couldn't resist telling him, "I suggest you find another line of work if you want to grow up." (Not his most inspired line, but not bad under pressure.) When Carlos (HIS Carlos) shouted at him, "Get out of there!" he complied.

It took some fancy moves and dodging to get out of the sudden mass of bodies. He bumped into one, but even with that "clue" the man saw nothing. But another stumbled into him from behind and his eyes flew wide when the Shadow whirled on him. The Shadow dropped his shields, letting his seething emotions boil outward. "Get out of my sight!" he hissed, and the man fled as if demons were cackling after him. [That was actually an ordinary Intimidate check with a +21 bonus. I rolled a 2. :) ]

As he jogged toward the Hangout, the Shadow said calmly, "Make a note for the weekly calendar, Carlos. 'Clear out crackhouse on 18th street.' And remind me to look up that kid I reamed tonight..."

"He could perhaps be useful one day."

[ I'm still getting used to the new Shadow - I didn't make ideal use of his powers this time around. I should have put mild fear on the kid with Telempathy, then Mind Blanked him - it would have been immensely easier. On the other hand, this way he will have some terrifying memories that may make our next meeting go more smoothly. ;) And I completely forgot about Intimidating Presence, but the Intimidate skill with sufficient Aura of Menace is nearly as good. ]
Last edited by The Shadow on Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ronin
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Ronin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:15 pm

Sounds like someone's getting wise to The Shadow's techniques. Mindbllinded cars? Mental Shields? Possible mind-controlled minions?
"That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from." - Squirrel Girl

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:42 pm

Yeek. I didn't even consider the possibility that Hands' memory might have been falsified!

My gut tells me that's not where this is going, though. The impression I got from the memory was that the suitcase was radiating something emotionally nasty to make people ignore them.

Also, something I didn't bother to put in the writeup is that the GM told me, "You get the impression (and have gotten it in the past) that Hands is somehow more receptive to your telepathy than most people are." And he hinted that this might be why the suitcases made such an impression on him.

And while it's all very worrisome, yes, there does not seem to be the implication that these people are explicitly gunning for the Shadow. Yet, anyway. :)

It's pretty clear that there are people in this world who know a heck of a lot more about psi than is publicly let on. Remember the unusual heart attacks of the early psi researchers? :)

And I have some OOC knowledge about where things might go... given that I know something of the Forbidden's background. I've been writing up the Forbidden in M&M terms, and will post him if the original player approves. He had an "in" into some of this world's secrets.

The Shadow

P.S. (edit) I also find it interesting that the kid was so terrified by mental invasion. It could just be a personal quirk... but then again, could it mean that he's experienced it before...?

Ronin
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Ronin » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:26 pm

The Shadow wrote:Yeek. I didn't even consider the possibility that Hands' memory might have been falsified!

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. ;)

P.S. (edit) I also find it interesting that the kid was so terrified by mental invasion. It could just be a personal quirk... but then again, could it mean that he's experienced it before...?

Hmm, good point, and one I hadn't thought of.
"That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from." - Squirrel Girl

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:36 pm

Ronin wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Yeek. I didn't even consider the possibility that Hands' memory might have been falsified!

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. ;)

SO true. :) What I am really, really hoping is that the car guys and the suitcase guys are at odds and maneuvering against each other. Then I can manipulate them both and pick up the pieces. :)

But knowing this GM, things aren't going to be that kind...

The Shadow

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:23 pm

Forgot to mention, btw.

At one point, since the suitcase-guys only seem to venture out during the day, the Shadow mentioned he might have to do likewise for once during the weekend.

Carlos: Gee, sir, are you sure you won't shrivel up and die in the sunlight?

Shadow: Only if you eat too many mushrooms, Mr. Castaneda...

:)

The Shadow

Ronin
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Ronin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:22 pm

Of course, Carlos might decide to do some daytime recon himself...

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:57 pm

Night One, Continued

[I'm almost too embarrassed to post this session... To be honest, I haven't gotten regular gaming in a looong time, given that the gaming group has been forced to, you know, grow up. :) Matching schedules is a killer. I'm not in the habit of thinking deviously on my feet any more, and I made several gaping rookie errors that the Shadow would frankly never have made. Plus I'm not yet used to M&M combat. Ah well, chalk it up as a (re-)learning experience.]

As he approached the Hangout, the Shadow was filled in by Carlos on El Bandito: Carlos Gomez, 24 years old, five of them illegally in the US of A. He'd done time, but never hard time - small-time stuff like assault and battery. (Though he'd been tried for things like murder-one, none of it had ever stuck.)

He also had Carlos check juvey records on Juan Martinez, the boy he'd just got done reaming. (He'd picked up the lad's name while in his mind.) 17 years old, with a rap sheet as long as your arm, but for nothing worse than drug possession. An address was given (Juan was on probation), but it was of a large flophouse that the boy might or might not ever have actually visited.

The Shadow surveyed the Hangout briefly; he'd been there before. The upper floor was given over mostly to arcade machines and a bar, the basement to pool tables. The basement was more popular for less-than-forthright doings. Fortunately the door was open for ventilation; he was able to slip right in.

He went through the first floor thoroughly, just on the off-chance. The Red Shivs were heavily represented among the clientele, but there were also a half-dozen Angels - a girl's gang, mostly rebellious rich kids. Ordinarily they wouldn't amount to much on the food chain, but money does talk... and their current leader, "Lady V", had quite a fearsome reputation. (A flair for threats, and a tendency for people she threatened to not be heard from again...) The few patrons not in gang colors were being hassled confidently by the Shivs.

The door down to the basement was guarded by a heavyset guy with an air of competence about him and a baseball bat ready to hand. But why bother, when there was a fire door also available? Garrity's 'Shaolin' device would get an early workout, that's all.

The thing worked! Walking through the door was slow and unpleasant, like walking through peanut butter. But no harm was done to it nor the Shadow, so he breathed easy. Going down the stairs, he passed through the other door, and found himself in a scene that struck him as positively surreal.

As a lead chemist at a major pharmaceutical company, Alex had sat through his share of interminably boring business meetings; he knew the drill when he saw it. But he'd never before sat in on such a meeting devoted to drug sales... the illegal kind, anyway. Nor was the dress of the participants exactly up to corporate standards. It was like Dilbert crossed with Dickens. (Fortunately the proceedings were in English.)

A scraggly young man (20 at the most) named Josef was doing a not-entirely-uncreditable imitation of an accountant, though he'd do better with a suit, ten more years, and ten fewer convictions. It appeared that sales were actually up overall this quarter, but costs were also on the rise. (A moderately snazzy, if unpolished, chart tracked these statistics.) A sharp dip in sales a month ago was explained as "one of our crackhouses being raided by that nutball who calls himself the Shadow". The cloaked crusader frowned and committed the youth's face and mental signature to memory - he should show more respect. (And he proceeded to do the same for the other major lieutenants.)

Next, Carlos called upon Jorge, who evidently handled the protection racket - nothing excessively overt, just threatening to hang around and hassle customers unless moderate sums were paid. Jorge reported that business was doing well, with about 75% of businesses in their territory having caved in. They were stepping up "persuasion" on the rest, but he warned that there were a number that "We probably won't be able to get without using heavier measures - they don't have many walk-ins." Carlos responded, "Then we don't get them." Evidently the gang leader was not out to stir up excessive trouble.

Jorge yielded the floor to Miguel, who reported that he had managed to bribe "somebody on the force". (The Shadow's ears pricked up, and he taped the rest on a mini-recorder.) This individual couldn't let them "get away with murder", but could make evidence disappear if needed and snarl things up in other ways. He also warned that with the recent election, many of their solidly-bribed people in appointed office were being replaced by "The Terminator", and it would take time to figure out who among the new people could be bent.

Finally, an unnamed, unpleasant-looking fellow reported that with "our new business arrangements" - here shooting a glare at Carlos, who glared back - it was harder to keep the "putas" in line. "We have to beat them more."

Carlos wrapped up with a pep talk that only heightened the Shadow's sense of unreality. He ended with, "Our new business partners tell me that things are going smoothly. We just have to keep things quiet for now - if we all fight amongst ourselves, the only winner will be The Man."

"They also say that they aren't willing to commit resources to the Shadow unless we provide proof of his existence." The Shadow listened with great intensity at this point! (Evidently his strategy of trying for urban-legend status in respectable circles was working to some degree.) At the rising tide of dismay, El Bandito continued, "Yes, I know WE know he exists, but they aren't buying it without proof. So put word out on the street: Five grand for anyone who can name a name of one of his collaborators. Ten for anyone who brings one of them in, if they've got useful information. Fifteen for anyone who can get solid proof of the Shadow. And fifty G's for anyone who brings in his head - with or without the body attached."

"What sort of proof do they want?" someone asked. "Hell if I know! But if you can get a good photo or a videotape of him, I figure that'll do it. Yes, I know he can't be seen, but he's gotta be human - he might slip up sometime." The Shadow frowned - he was more vulnerable than they knew, for his mental invisibility only worked on people, not machines. He would have to be cautious.

With that, the group filed up the stairs, with the Shadow following. Carlos moved for the door, but was confronted by the group of Angels. "Lady V's not happy with you." El Bandito sneered, "And why should I care?" "You don't wanna make Lady V unhappy." "What's she gonna do about it if I do?" "You could get hurt." "Yeah," another Angel smirked, "or lose some face. Lady V's got a thing for making people lose face." There seemed to be a private in-joke involved, for the Angels all laughed. Carlos said only, "I ain't afraid of Lady V," and started to leave.

Only to get zapped by the Shadow's suggestion that his bladder was quite uncomfortable. Sure enough, the man decided to wander over to the bathroom, followed closely by the Man of Mystery.

Just the two of them. Once El Bandito was in a compromising position, the Shadow aimed a heavy blow at the back of the man's head.

[Mistake one - I was expecting an easy knockout. No such luck. No dodge bonus means you HIT - it doesn't help you do damage. Plus, a guy like Carlos is not a minion. And finally, the GM was rolling like a demon, while I suffered from my usual player-level Unluckiness disadvantage all through the combat. I swear I should get points for it! :) But I got 19's and 20's for sensory rolls and so on. Go figure!]

Carlos slammed into the wall, but was still alert. He spun around and spotted the Shadow. He also spotted the Shadow's hastily-drawn gun. Tense but retaining a certain degree of cool, he asked sarcastically, "Are you here to rape me, or do you mind if I zip up?" The Shadow magnanimously permitted this, so long as his hands remained in sight.

[Mistake two - I can't BELIEVE I didn't search him. Terminal brain failure!]

"Care to go for a ride?" "Thanks, but I've got one outside." "I'm afraid I really must insist." "I'll pass." "And if I take exception to your passing?"

[Mistake three - witty banter is all very well, but let's remember who's holding the gun, shall we? I finally remembered and started taking control of the situation again.]

"There's only one door out of here..." The Shadow laughed maliciously. "Oh sure, ha ha. But there's no way you can get me out here past my boys - and that window isn't big enough for either of us." The Shadow peremptorily gestured. "Go stand over by the sink, Carlos." "I prefer 'El Bandito'." "Your preferences don't interest me. Now turn around." He pulled out Garrity's doohickey again. (That wall was an outer wall of the Hangout - I'd checked.)

[Mistake four - one hand to hold the gun, one hand to stay in contact with El Bandito... which hand were you planning to use the device with, again? I dithered, then settled on holding it in one hand and wrapping that arm about his middle.]

Activating the phasing device, the Shadow shoved El Bandito forward, but the man instinctively braced and couldn't be budged. [Not my fault for once, unless you count my incredibly crappy dice-rolling.] In the moment of confusion that followed, El Bandito managed to spin away and pull out a semiautomatic. [And the Shadow's player proceeded to curse himself for an unusually hapless village idiot.]

The short silence that followed was filled by the Shadow's words: "You should have done it my way, Carlos. I wasn't going to kill you, but now..." They traded shots, neither conclusive. El Bandito ducked behind a stall for cover and started spraying bullets around in a panic. None came near the Shadow, and he managed to wing the gang leader.

Suddenly the Shadow realized: He can't see me! When he turned his back on me, my invisibility reasserted itself! He carefully worked his way around the field of fire and dispassionately looked upon his enemy, who was himself looking in entirely the wrong direction. You must die, he thought; it must not be said that you fought the Shadow to a standstill. Carlos Gomez, I sentence you to death.

The next bullet tore messily through El Bandito's head. The man lived, but hung on by the barest of threads. Since others were bursting into the bathroom, the Shadow spread invisibility over his enemy, picked him up in a fireman's carry, and stepped through the wall.

Once through, he had (his) Carlos call 911 and tried first aid to keep El Bandito in the land of the living a little longer. No such luck, the man was slipping rapidly. The Shadow went into the man's mind, slapping aside the shield around his memories almost effortlessly. [Oh sure, NOW I roll a natural 20!]

How do you contact the men in the black cars? A distinct impression of a phone number.

Who are they? No knowledge on this subject.

What happened during your car ride? A well-dressed man in the car reaching into a satchel with a spherical metal object glimpsed inside, manipulating it... All of a sudden, the things they were saying started to make sense.

What do they... Too late. Carlos "El Bandito" Gomez had met his reward.

The Shadow filled Carlos in on what he'd learned as he dropped by the crackhouse again. (But Juan turned out to not be on duty any longer.) "But sir," Carlos' puzzled voice responded, "didn't Mr. Garrity tell us that it wasn't possible to make a machine that could do telepathic stuff?" "Yes," the Shadow replied, "so either he was wrong, or else they were using the machine to boost an already-existing telepathic talent. I would not, myself, be inclined to bet on Hal being wrong about something like that." "That makes sense. What now?" "Run the phone number of the black cars... No, wait. Send Michael Barnes an email telling him to meet me tomorrow at the library at 10 PM. I'll have him do it."

With that, he decided to use the rest of the night seeking black cars on his hovercycle (sent out by Carlos to home in on his commlink beacon), but had no luck. Finally, he managed to hunt up Harvey to drop off the tape and warn him about the dirty cop he'd found out about - Harvey'd know who to tip off in Internal Affairs.

And with that, he headed "home" to the base, a little wiser and no worse for wear.

[Honestly, while the Shadow's rationale for killing the man was sound from his point of view, I think I the player also wanted no witness to my mishandling of the whole thing. :) Bad rolls are one thing, blatant stupidity another. But I'll do better next time - I'm getting my edge back.]

Ronin
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Ronin » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:44 am

Hey, everyone has an off day. :)

Look on the bright side. Thanks to your example, I won't try knocking someone out with a simple blow to the neck without using Power Attack or some such. ;)

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:37 pm

Ronin wrote:Hey, everyone has an off day. :)

Look on the bright side. Thanks to your example, I won't try knocking someone out with a simple blow to the neck without using Power Attack or some such. ;)

Just so long as SOMEBODY gets something good out of it. :)

And yes, I was very tired that night. That probably had a lot to do with it. By the light of day, I was appalled. :)

Hey, I think I may just have started a gang war. Consider: Moments after the Angels threaten Carlos, he buys the farm. Of course, it'll be hard to explain how the body got OUTSIDE, but in the heat of the moment these little details can get overlooked... And I gather Lady V has a weird reputation as it is.

The Shadow

P.S. (edit) Speaking of Power Attack, I'm gonna clear it with my GM to put it in instead of Counterattack, an obsolete feat I got from a PDF. It will assuredly be useful in these sorts of situations, and is certainly reasonable for a trained martial artist.

Mitchell
Titan
Titan

Postby Mitchell » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:18 pm

This is a great game. Can't wait to hear more.

You know a story is good when Dragontail Online Security prevents you from looking at it!

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:36 pm

Mitchell wrote:This is a great game. Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks, Mitchell! I'm enjoying it too. This GM is good at "noir" gaming. :) And he's a wizard with NPCs, though you haven't seen any of his finest work yet. Wait until I end up meeting Amazing Grace again!

Amazing Grace is an established NPC in this world. She's the uppermost of upper-crust courtesans... and also a world-class Mind Controller, though she's much better with men than with women. A Southern belle with more information sources than you can shake a stick at, she is the epitome of style and grace.

She and the Shadow have been at odds a couple times, but they are friends of sorts. She knows his identity (while investigating her for organized crime connections, he ran afoul of her Mind Control - she was actually able to force him to take off his mask and show her his real face; turnabout being fair play, he was in her home uninvited) and helped him and the Forbidden recover David when he was kidnapped. (She sent flowers and sat up with David in the hospital, too.)

Put it this way: The GM once replaced her with an imposter with a nigh-infallible disguise (a biokinetic able to resculpt her features) and the Forbidden and the Shadow saw through her instantly, because she couldn't pull off Grace's style. She came off fakey and corny rather than sincere. (If that isn't a compliment to a GM - your players being able to tell that one of your NPC's personalities is subtly off - I don't know what is.)

You know a story is good when Dragontail Online Security prevents you from looking at it!

What is this Dragontail Online Security of which you speak?

The Shadow

Mitchell
Titan
Titan

Postby Mitchell » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:13 pm

Dragontail Online Security is your traditional "Don't-Let-Kids-See-Bad-Stuff" online security service. It apparently uses certain key words to determine if a site is "bad." It is used by my school, and won't let me see this thread.

Since it is run by idiots, and declares your stuff "bad", the reverse must be true, and your stuff must be "good."

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:16 pm

Mitchell wrote:Dragontail Online Security is your traditional "Don't-Let-Kids-See-Bad-Stuff" online security service. It apparently uses certain key words to determine if a site is "bad." It is used by my school, and won't let me see this thread.

Since it is run by idiots, and declares your stuff "bad", the reverse must be true, and your stuff must be "good."

*scratches head* I'll grant it's a bit violent, but I'm not sure how software could pick up on that. I wonder what keywords it didn't like?

"Semiautomatic"? "Hell"?

The Shadow

P.S. (edit) Oh, wait, probably "rape". :P

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:41 pm

I'll take suggestions from my faithful readers on this topic:

Is it best to do a new thread on "Night Two", or to rename this one and continue on?

The Shadow

Return to “M&M Story Hour”