J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Malekith The Accursed, Kurse, The Annihilator

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Don't forget- Odin would house Thor COMPLETELY thanks to the fact that HE is Mjonlnir's true master, and he can make the hammer drop just by saying so (more of a weakness for Thor than anything).

ahhh Chuck Norris jokes. It's only too bad that his semi-comeback came almost FOUR YEARS after the meme hit full force.

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Goldar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 am

Nice Kurse build. He is one of Marvel's most powerful characters and nice to see him get a profile here.

A lot of people don't know of Kurse from that particular Thor era, and these days, he does seem quite underused by Marvel. Since the Asgardians have been returned to life, has Kurse been as well?

cbwjm
Henchman
Henchman

Post by cbwjm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Goldar wrote:Nice Kurse build. He is one of Marvel's most powerful characters and nice to see him get a profile here.

A lot of people don't know of Kurse from that particular Thor era, and these days, he does seem quite underused by Marvel. Since the Asgardians have been returned to life, has Kurse been as well?
Yeah, it would have been nice to see Kurse get a few hits in on the Sentry. I still think Kurse would have lost even though he would have been just as strong, if not stronger, than the Sentry. The problem being Kurse is a brick, Sentry is a flying brick with a host of other powers.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Don't forget- Odin would house Thor COMPLETELY thanks to the fact that HE is Mjonlnir's true master, and he can make the hammer drop just by saying so (more of a weakness for Thor than anything).

ahhh Chuck Norris jokes. It's only too bad that his semi-comeback came almost FOUR YEARS after the meme hit full force.
True dat. I didn't list that as a Complication for Thor, but I think most GMs would make that happen if they have any inkling of the Marvel Norse history.

As for Chuck, I love him, but his whole "re-electing Obama will bring 1000 years of darkness" was a weeeeeee bit melodramatic. God, I hate election years...
Goldar wrote:Nice Kurse build. He is one of Marvel's most powerful characters and nice to see him get a profile here.

I haven't been following the latest Thor series, but I haven't seen him and the Wikis haven't mentioned his return. I'm sure he'll show up again.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 pm

All hail this latest addition to our Villains Line!

Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror. - Ming the Merciless

MING THE MERCILESS

PL: 14 (254 pts) - OPL: 14 ; DPL: 14

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 9, AWARENESS 9, PRESENCE 8

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+4), Close Combat [Swords] 5 (+15), Deception 7 (+15) [Daze, Skill Mastery], Expertise [Cosmic Lore] 6 (+15), Expertise [Magic] 4 (+13) [Ritualist], Expertise [Nobility] 4 (+13), Expertise [Tactics] 4 (+13), Insight 6 (+15), Intimidation 8 (+16) [Skill Mastery, Startle], Investigation 1 (+10), Perception (+9), Persuasion 4 (+12) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Ring of Daizan] 3 (+12), Stealth (+2), Technology 6 (+15), Vehicles 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (10) (Status, Resources – Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe [well, some of it, anyway]), Connected, Daze (1) (Deception), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (40), Luck (Edit Scene) (1), Ranged Attack (6), Ritualist, Skill Mastery (2) (Deception, Intimidation), Speed of Thought*, Startle

POWERS:
Immortal: Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease); 2 pts
Ring of Dyzan: 45 pts traits, Removable (-9 pts), Extra: Restricted 2 [Ming on Only]; 38 pts
Ring Array: 37 pt array; 45 pts
Mind Control: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Cumulative, Subtle); 37 pts
Emotion Control: Ranged Affliction 11 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Impaired, 2nd: Disabled, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Cumulative, Subtle, Variable Descriptor [Emotions]); 1 pt
Ring Blast: Cosmic Energy Ranged Damage 16; 1 pt
Telepathy: Mind Reading 11, Communication 3 (Mental, Statewide/Small Nation); 1 pt
Mind Maze: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Entranced and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobile, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Extra Condition); 1 pt
Paralysis Beam: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Immobile, 3rd: Paralyzed; Extra: Cumulative); 1 pt
Illusory Disguise: Morph 2 (Humanoids, Flaw: Resistible by Will); 1 pt
Force Field: Protection 12 (Flaw: Sustained), Impervious 6 (Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt
Dazzle: Perception Area Affliction 12 (Resisted/Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Cumulative, Flaw: Limited [one sense]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(200ep)
200ep for whatever he wants, usually a battlecruiser, HQ, blasters, etc.

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +10 [Unarmed +2]
Sword +15
Ranged Attack +9
Ring of Dyan +12 [Ring Blast +16; Hyptonic Affliction +12; Emotion Control Affliction +12; Mind Maze Affliction +12]
Special Attack [Dazzle +12, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +6 (+12 with Force Field, +6 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +10, Will +16

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Ming's vast power and confidence in his abilities make underestimate his opponents at times
Enemy: Flash Gordon
Motivation: Ruling the universe
Power Loss: Ming's Immortality is tied to his ring. If he is deprived of it for a significant period of time, he begins to age normally
Relationships: He does love his daughter Aura, despite being hard on her
Temper: Ming's towering rages are legendary throughout the cosmos

Abilities 94 + Skills 32 (64 ranks) + Advantages 67 + Powers 40 + Defenses 21 = 254 / 254

Comments: All hail Ming! All hail Ming! All hail Ming!

I was flipping through channels the other day and I came across the legendarily bad Flash Gordon movie from 1980. And I LOVE that movie. It’s so campy and bad, it’s great. So I was inspired to whip up Ming the Merciless. The thing is, that for a ruler of a war torn planet like Mongo, I kinda thought movie Ming was a bit of a puddin’. Same with Klytus. Everyone was afraid of them, yet they were both taken out fairly easily, really. So I had to Thorpacoverse them up!

Granted, Ming as taken on various incarnations over the past 90 years or so, depending on the series, but I don’t think any of them really made him someone who could take over a planet like Mongo and build a universal empire. I think my Ming can. My thinking is that in a combined universe, someone like him would have to deal with the Green Lantern Corps, the (former) Nova Corps, Heralds of Galactus, Quasar, The Kree, The Skrulls, The Dominators, etc. on his way to ruling the universe. And a PL8-ish, old dude with a ring that makes Dale Arden act like a stripper for a minute ain’t gonna be able to pull that off.

So he gets serious Skills and a ring that rivals a Lantern Corps ring in power. He’s vicious, no doubt, but he’s brilliant, he knows Tactics, Technology, how to rule and most of all, how to scare the piss out of about anyone. And I’m sure someone will note that I didn’t add the whole “sucking himself into his ring” thing that he did to save himself at the end of the movie. But I figure that was a power stunt since he probably had an HP or two to spare since he really didn’t do much of anything in the movie but glare at people, monologue, drink, and shout orders and he'd get an Enemy complication with ol' Flash's crash landing stab.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm

More galactic evil hits the J-Mart shelves!

Bring me... the bore worms... - Klytus

GENERAL KLYTUS
PL: 11 (200 pts) - OPL: 11 ; DPL: 11

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 6, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics (+4), Athletics 5 (+8), Close Combat [Swords] 4 (+16), Deception 12 (+13), Expertise [Law Enforcement] 9 (+15), Expertise [Tactics] 9 (+15), Insight 11 (+15) [Assessment, Combat Clarity, Fast Assessment], Intimidation 14 (+15), Investigation 15 (+21) [Contacts, Skill Mastery, Well-Informed], Perception 11 (+15), Persuasion 5 (+6), Ranged Combat [Guns] 4 (+13), Sleight of Hand 5 (+9), Stealth 10 (+14), Technology (+6), Treatment (+6), Vehicles 6 (+10), Variable

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Benefit (3) (Status – General of Ming’s Army, Head of Secret Police), Combat Clarity* (1), Contacts, Defensive Roll (3), Equipment (4), Fast Assessment*, Improved Critical (2) (Swords, Pistols), Improved Initiative (1), Jack-of-all-Trades, Luck (Inspiration) (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (1) (Ragned, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (5), Skill Mastery (1) (Investigation), Takedown (1), Tracking, Well-Informed

POWERS:
Gold Mask: 9 pts traits, Removable (-2); 7 pts
Universal Translator: Comprehend 4 (Speak, Understand All Languages, Extra: Affects Others); 8 pts
Fearsome Presence: Feature 1 (+2 Intimidation Checks to coerce); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(20ep)
Body Armor: Protection 2 (Extra: Subtle); 3ep
Commlink: Feature 1 (Radio Communication), Miniscule; 1ep
Sword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Critical 19-20, Medium; 4ep
Blaster Pistol: Energy Ranged Damage 5; Range 125ft, Small; 10ep
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Critical 19-20, Small; 2ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +12 [Unarmed +3]
Swords +16 [Sword +6, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +9
Guns +13 [Blaster Pistol +5, Critical 19-20]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +13

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Knowing everything about everyone, especially anyone who could pose a threat to Ming
Responsibility: To serve his master, Ming the Merciless
Secret: He has been in love with Princess Aura for years but refuses to let his true feeling be known as it could affect his status with Ming

Abilities 74 + Skills 60 (120 ranks) + Advantages 32 + Powers 7 + Defenses 27 = 200 / 200

Comments: And how could I not build Ming without his right-hand man, Klytus? In the movie, he was kind of a wimp. I mean, Flash had been fighting for a good long while and with a little Teamwork from Barin, he took Klytus out like *finger snap* that.

Not my Klytus. I imagined him as sort of a Mongo’s version of an evil Batman. He makes it his business to know everything about everyone: any potential threats to Ming’s rule, any potential traitors, what Aura had for dinner, which concubine(s) Ming slept with last night, EVERYTHING. And you don’t get to be the right hand of the ruler of the universe by not being able to hold your own in a fight so I made him wicked with a sword and decent with a blaster. Although that’s a last resort with him. He’s about knowing what’s going on ahead of time, having a plan and letting his soldiers do the fighting.

I also had to do a little riff on Aura’s comment in the movie about him wanting her for himself. It seems logical that he would secretly be in love with her but his loyalty to Ming and his ambition would make it so that he would rather torture her for his perceived slights than showing her any mercy.

A little trivia, he was played by British actor Peter Wyngarde, who was the inspiration for Jason Wyngarde, the well-known Mastermind from the Hellfire Club. Mastermind's name was an combination of Wyngarde's real last name and the first name of the character that made him famous, novelist turned sleuth Jason King. Kind of a pre-cursor to Castle, I suppose. Pretty cool.

Shop J-Mart!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Klytus, I'm booored...

Post by Shock » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm

I demand a build of Aura just so you have to put up a picture.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: 580

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Image
Max Von Sydow. How many actors can say they've played Ernst Bloefeld, Ming the Merciless, AND Jesus Christ?

Evil Mongo persons, I love it!!
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by catsi563 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Could also see him butting heads with the Star Khan too.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:05 am

Nice Mongo's villany example.

I recently pick up Flash Gordon Zeitgeist by Dynamite Comics and boy it's really good. Generally I don't like when somebody tries to "update" a classic to new standards, but this one seem to be an exception.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Post by freeclint » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 am

Love the horribly bad Flash Gordan movie as well. Great builds!
"Prince Barin! I'm not your enemy, Ming is! Let's all team up and fight him."
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Shock wrote:I demand a build of Aura just so you have to put up a picture.
I think we can arrange that.
catsi563 wrote:Could also see him butting heads with the Star Khan too.
No doubt. I see Ming as being a major player in the Thorpacoverse Cosmic scene, so he'd have a little history with the Cosmic Freedom/Emerald City verse as well, since it's all part of that universe.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm

We've got a new addition to our Villains Line on Aisle 2!

Again, as I reference an earlier remark about Solomon Grundy; Imus Champion is 9 feet tall and he has a kick ass suit. Obviously supervillains have access to better tailors than I do.

IMUS CHAMPION
PL: 13 (195 pts) - OPL: 13 ; DPL: 13

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics 5 (+11), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+13), Deception 6 (+11), Expertise [Business] 7 (+12), Expertise [Streetwise] 5 (+10), Insight 7 (+11) [Assessment], Intimidation 7 (+12) [Startle], Investigation 3 (+8) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 2 (+6), Persuasion 6 (+11) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Bow] 2 (+11), Stealth (+1), Technology 5 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (5) (Wealth 5 [Billionaire]), Chokehold, Clean* (1), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll (2), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (8), Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (3) (Japanese, Latin, 2 more, Base: English), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (6), Startle, Well-Informed

POWERS:
Peak Human Size: Growth 3 (+3 Str, +3 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +3 Mass; Extra: Innate); 7 pts
His Acquisitions: 56 pts traits, Easily Removable (-22 pts); 34 pts
Various Mystical/Technical Items: Variable 8 (40 pts traits, Mystical/Technological Descriptor); 56 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(40ep)
Various cars, houses, weapons, etc.

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +10
Unarmed +13 [Unarmed +6, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +9
Bow +11

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Being as strong, rich, powerful and well-trained as he is, he often underestimates others
Enemy: The Avengers/Squadron Supreme
Greed: He is extremely motivated by the acquisition of power, money, and knowledge

Abilities 68 + Skills 29 (58 ranks) + Advantages 37 + Powers 41 + Defenses 20 = 195 / 195

Comments: I always thought Imus Champion was a underused as a mastermind villain. Imus is a naturally 9 foot tall super-genius billionaire with plans on world domination. He's also got a ton of powerful relics that he's acquired, hence the Variable Power that I added that allow him to pull out something that can even the odds against super powerful opponents.

He stalemated both The Avengers and Squadron Supreme at one time, yet he's generally been a foe of Hawkeye and recently rumbled with Black Widow and ended up losing. Go fig.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Ming, Klytus, Imus Champion

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:25 am

Yeah, I liked the whole Imus Champion concept- he's basically only a LITTLE unrealistic (he's about one inch taller than the world's tallest man, and it's theoretically possible for a guy with Giantism to work out enough to overcome the crippling disabilities that his size would create), and he's a great rich guy/mastermind-type bad guy. His only problem is that he's basically encroaching on Wilson Fisk's territory as a Giant Crimeboss Villain. That, and he was created to fight Hawkeye (a lower-tier hero than A-listers like Spidey & Cap), only certain writers even remember him (Kurt Busiek in that Squadron/Avengers cross-over), and he was last seen fighting The Black Widow (another lower-tier character). If he got used for a MAJOR arc, he'd be more popular (or at least well-known).

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: 582

Post by jspade » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:04 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:IMUS CHAMPION
PL: 13 (195 pts) - OPL: 13 ; DPL: 13
Thorp, I don't mean to nit-pick, but how is this guy PL 13?
Jack of Spades' Builds